CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by Johnnie »

Raytheon Update:

Applied to 4 jobs in the 'supply chain' section with 'logistics' in the title of each of them, except for one that was 'procurement.'

1 was cancelled outright, but appeared to be re-applied automatically to the same job title in another posting a week later. I was just notified of not being selected.

2 of them I was just outright 'not selected' after a week of waiting.

1 (the procurement job) I'm still awaiting a ruling on.

All are in the pay grade of P3. Not sure if my resumé looks like crap or what (borrowed the template that my wife used to get a job there which was borrowed from our friend who's been working there a long time), but I'll be applying to more jobs here soon.

I guess I'll manage expectations accordingly after years of hearing "Psssh. Prior military, security clearance, master's degree, and all those years in logistics? Easy 6 figures when you get out." I might even go to USAJOBS and do a profile there in the event Raytheon fizzles completely and I try to go GS and have to work on base -- which I would hate.

On the chair topic:

Timely discussion there because I need to outfit my game room with 4 chairs for gaming and I'm leaning towards Secret Labs because my gamer friends swear by them. However, it's good to see other options as well.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Raytheon may be exempt, but a looooooot of companies are running out layoffs or atleast hiring freezes right now. Could be that no one was selected versus you being passed over.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 pm Raytheon may be exempt, but a looooooot of companies are running out layoffs or atleast hiring freezes right now. Could be that no one was selected versus you being passed over.
That's a very good point. I may just be trying to get hired at an inopportune time. Thanks for the heads up.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 pm Raytheon may be exempt, but a looooooot of companies are running out layoffs or atleast hiring freezes right now. Could be that no one was selected versus you being passed over.
I dunno about that. I got a solicitation from someone looking to fill a position. They even put the pay in the solicitation, which is rare. Granted, they had a placeholder of $1/hour listed, but that's more than most do.

(it was a specialized materials engineer position and I've no idea how they decided I was a candidate so it was likely a blast email or something.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nevermind, Johnnie. Looks like Raytheon (and perhaps the whole public sector) hates you and guys like AB are swimming in offers.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:22 pm
I dunno about that. I got a solicitation from someone looking to fill a position. They even put the pay in the solicitation, which is rare. Granted, they had a placeholder of $1/hour listed, but that's more than most do.

(it was a specialized materials engineer position and I've no idea how they decided I was a candidate so it was likely a blast email or something.)
A number of states passed laws requiring salary range in job descriptions, so they may have that as a required spot in their template. Or, they know your worth.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm Nevermind, Johnnie. Looks like Raytheon (and perhaps the whole public sector) hates you and guys like AB are swimming in offers.

Then they are NOT welcome for my service!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm Nevermind, Johnnie. Looks like Raytheon (and perhaps the whole public sector) hates you and guys like AB are swimming in offers.
Of course they only pay $1 per hour.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I've seen some rumblings around potential layoffs at Raytheon, which is really incredible given their needs. The company just feels too big for them to be able to put all the puzzle pieces together. Sounds like if you are on a program you are good, but they have missed on some other things they thought they were going to win. This puts people they have hired anticipation of a win at risk.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

FYI Johnnie, I learned that my large well-known company just secured a massive contract with the Air Force if you want to PM.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, news out today is that the US added over 500k jobs last month and the unemployment rate is at a long-time low of 3.4 percent.

Can't speak to Raytheon, but the labor market is kind of on fire right now.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:09 pm I mean, news out today is that the US added over 500k jobs last month and the unemployment rate is at a long-time low of 3.4 percent.

Can't speak to Raytheon, but the labor market is kind of on fire right now.
Which is so shocking, as I am hearing nothing but massive layoffs and one of my first tasks in my new firm is heading up a major Reduction in Force, and we are one of the last of the big firms to start firing.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the job market is so weird and often difficult to really track what's going on from sector to sector.

Like, the restaurant industry is really struggling because they can't find workers right now. And as you say, the tech industry and other larger companies appear to be downsizing. So... who knows?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I have a meeting in a few minutes with a C-level executive at one of the Swamp's favorite companies. You know, the one that owns many local news stations around the country. Can't let him know I'm one of those dirty liberals!
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:18 am I have a meeting in a few minutes with a C-level executive at one of the Swamp's favorite companies. You know, the one that owns many local news stations around the country. Can't let him know I'm one of those dirty liberals!
Does it rhyme with "finclair"?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:46 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:18 am I have a meeting in a few minutes with a C-level executive at one of the Swamp's favorite companies. You know, the one that owns many local news stations around the country. Can't let him know I'm one of those dirty liberals!
Does it rhyme with "finclair"?
It might. Turns out here wasn't there. Just folks who work for him. Did trade some emails with him last week though.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In addition to those right-wing larger broadcast/media companies, we have some other customers who have nutjob right-wing websites (including one in Canada!) and you (the royal you) might not be surprised to learn that the site contacts we have to deal with are raging assholes. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You guys do a great job of making me happy to be retired.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I didn't know that South African leftovers were as repugnant as fish when reheated, but the two guys from Joburg working in this office now have made sure we all know. I'm all for reheating last night's dinner but holy bobotie.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You should tell them to go eat elsewhere.

Or introduce them to "pizza".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:04 pm You should tell them to go eat elsewhere.

Or introduce them to "pizza".
Are you inviting AB’s coworkers to NJ?
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

New job has lots of perks, but also some differences. Share an office for the first time in 20yrs, which is different, but not horrible. Love the French group coffee breaks, one mid morning, one after lunch. They also all eat together, and we go en masse to the canteen (our R&D facility is on its own campus and well away from anything). This is culturally very different for me. I’ve typically either eaten by myself at my desk, or left site to eat.

Also, completed my first week of riding my bike to work each day. Roughly 7 miles one way, so not a huge haul, but the way home is up out of the valley and a steady climb for 4 miles at about a 4% gradient. Not the steepest, but pretty long for a commute. I can limit the hill to one short climb but then it’s 16% and fuck that. Worst part is the last 200m up to our house which is a 10-12% slap in the face right when you’re almost home. But if I do this almost every day I’ll be in fighting shape soon.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Square Rob wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:09 am New job has lots of perks, but also some differences. Share an office for the first time in 20yrs, which is different, but not horrible. Love the French group coffee breaks, one mid morning, one after lunch. They also all eat together, and we go en masse to the canteen (our R&D facility is on its own campus and well away from anything). This is culturally very different for me. I’ve typically either eaten by myself at my desk, or left site to eat.

Also, completed my first week of riding my bike to work each day. Roughly 7 miles one way, so not a huge haul, but the way home is up out of the valley and a steady climb for 4 miles at about a 4% gradient. Not the steepest, but pretty long for a commute. I can limit the hill to one short climb but then it’s 16% and fuck that. Worst part is the last 200m up to our house which is a 10-12% slap in the face right when you’re almost home. But if I do this almost every day I’ll be in fighting shape soon.
Awesome!

Just curious, but how many hours do you work a week? I seem to recall a full-time work schedule in France is 32 hours a week, but I may be wrong.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

35 is the standard work week, but we don’t count in that. And almost no one works that little. What they do is banknthe extra hours, and can get up to two weeks extra vacation each year. Standard vacation is five weeks, so most people end up with 7. Those two weeks can be rolled forward each year and accumulated, which in turn means when most professionals retire, they have like a year of vacation accumulated that they will draw full pay on.

I have to admit, it’s a hell of a system and they are fanatical about work life balance.

I’m working around 45-55 per week. It depends on if I am travelling (then I put in 12hr days on site) or in the office (typically 9 but up to 11). We are not supposed to spend more than 11hrs in the home facility, but we have the occasional late call with the us. When that happens we get to comp some time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like you are adapting quite well, Robert Cinque-côtés!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll miss being in a division with you, el flaco.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Got laid off today. C’est la vie.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry, brian (and Giff/flaco?).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:34 pm Got laid off today. C’est la vie.
That sucks....but weren't you thinking of quitting soon? Maybe you can get a severance package out of the whole deal!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry, man. That sucks. As DiS said, hope you get some severance.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:21 pm Sorry, man. That sucks. As DiS said, hope you get some severance.
I got one day severance. Thanks for the nice thoughts though. Appreciated.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:37 pm Sorry, brian (and Giff/flaco?).
Nope, we are ok (at least I am). My company’s division move makes sense.

Sorry to hear it Brian.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry, bud.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:21 pm Sorry, man. That sucks. As DiS said, hope you get some severance.
Fuck them. And fuck that.

Sorry, dtw.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Really. One day is just salt in wound. Silver linings and all. Maybe it will lead you down an interesting path
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

WHAT??? At that point, why bother? That's almost like intentionally insulting. Or is there some tax or COBRA benefit to having a single day of severance? (and BTW, fuck COBRA)
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:04 am
WHAT??? At that point, why bother? That's almost like intentionally insulting. Or is there some tax or COBRA benefit to having a single day of severance? (and BTW, fuck COBRA)
In many cases severance is contingent upon the person being let go do/not do certain things. So if I recall Brian had not been there all that long (and maybe it was a math formula). But lots of those agreements say we will pay you n-weeks per years of service as long as you don't go out and bash us.

Also it may just me or when I hear COBRA, my mind goes straight to this every time (and his battle cry)
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Sorry to hear it Brian.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:37 pm Sorry, brian (and Giff/flaco?).
wait, what?

Giff and i work at same multi national -- although as of yesterday due to exec shuffle, we are now in different divisions...Giff's got moved to a different division although i hear they're kicking ass these days.
don't think Brian works with us.