Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Re: Movies

Post by Tom 1860 »

Reaper wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:25 pm
Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:03 pm I want to say that The Banshees Of Inisherin was beautiful, but it was not. It was laugh out loud funny in parts and also very, very sad in parts. Farrell and Glesson picked up from In Bruges with really strong performances, but Kerry Condon as Farrell's sister was brilliant. Jenny the miniature donkey was also great.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I laughed at a couple lines, the acting was all great, but what was the fecking point of it? I really didn't give a shit about any of it.
What was the fecking point of it, was the fecking point of it
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:25 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:16 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:54 am Watched The Batman with Robert Pattinson. It was very, very good. I liked it a lot.

I haven't researched it, but I'm hoping there's a sequel.
Just have to be patient. 2024 I think.
Oh nice. That's good news.
Late 2025, it now appears.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Tar was good. Cate Blanchette is ridiculous at acting. I thought for sure it was a biopic but then I was confused why it's so recent and they could have made it so quickly. It's not apparently but totally has that feel.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 pm Tar was good. Cate Blanchette is ridiculous at acting. I thought for sure it was a biopic but then I was confused why it's so recent and they could have made it so quickly. It's not apparently but totally has that feel.
There was some viral marketing around the biopic angle I think.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's pronounced biopic. Come on guys.

(I thought that too...weird)
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:09 am It's pronounced biopic. Come on guys.

(I thought that too...weird)
You say biopic, I say biopic.

[+] spoiler
Don't try to act like you didn't read that correctly in real time
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 pm ... Cate Blanchette is ridiculous at acting. ...
She was in a film at Sundance a few years ago where she played 13 different roles (or more even). She did a good enough job that it was really hard to tell it was her in every role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifesto_(2015_film)

(Very strange movie. It was basically performance art on film.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:21 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 pm ... Cate Blanchette is ridiculous at acting. ...
She was in a film at Sundance a few years ago where she played 13 different roles (or more even). She did a good enough job that it was really hard to tell it was her in every role.

Oh cool, I'll check that out! You ever see the Dylan biopic where she played him in one of his stages? It's fucking eerie.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:21 am

She’s so good she kind of sticks out (in a good way) in Life Aquatic. It’s almost like she’s in a different movie.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can't wait to be Shymalaned again tonight. That's where you walk out of a movie wondering why the fuck you paid money for it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:24 pm You People was pretty solid 4 stars. Eddie Murphy showed some nice acting chops and Weird Jonah Hill still can act.
Shotgun Wedding was a perfect stupid movie to have on while paying bills.
I’m usually not much of a rom-com guy, but I really enjoyed You People. It did include many of the regular tropes of the genre, but otherwise really well-written and funny. Nice to see so many recognizable old-timers* getting some work. Jonah Hill and Lauren London were cute as the main stars.

* Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, David Duchovny, Nia Long, Elliott Gould, Rhea Perlman, Mike Epps, Richard Benjamin, Matt Walsh, Hal Linden…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:39 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:50 pm I’m happy to say I’ve never heard that Scientology story. I’m also happy Jerrod Carmichael was dropping bombs like he was.
I went down a Scientology rabbit hole 7-10 years ago. Read a bunch of books, watched documentaries... it's a wild fucking world. Infuriating how they were able to get the IRS to give them tax-free status as a religion. Hounded the highest-level authorities for years, down to constantly calling his house throughout the night, tailing their kids and calling to say where they were and what they were wearing, making all sorts of threats. They held strong for years, but the "Church" was relentless and broke the poor guy's psyche who eventually caved. They have teams of private investigators that hunt down Church members who flee. Terrifying stuff.

At the time, I had a coworker whose close friend went into a Narcanon rehab clinic for cocaine addiction. It's a Scientology front. I told my coworker to get his friend the fuck out of there ASAP. His friend completed the program, then stayed as he was offered a job as counselor. A few months later, the guy sold all of his possessions and cut off contact with all of his friends and family. It was crazy reading the emails his friend was sending during the process, watching him get pulled into different levels of the cult, then nothing. Coworker didn't believe me at first that it was a cult, he was happy his friend was getting help. Coworker quickly saw what was happening and was panicking, calling the friends' family to help persuade him. Lost touch with the coworker, but I wonder if his friend ever made it out of the cult.
At least they're not raping kids, and covering it up on a mass, global scale I guess though?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:48 pm Can't wait to be Shymalaned again tonight. That's where you walk out of a movie wondering why the fuck you paid money for it.
It was actually pretty damn good. Bautista was great in it.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:36 pm
Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:03 pm I want to say that The Banshees Of Inisherin was beautiful, but it was not. It was laugh out loud funny in parts and also very, very sad in parts. Farrell and Glesson picked up from In Bruges with really strong performances, but Kerry Condon as Farrell's sister was brilliant. Jenny the miniature donkey was also great.
I pretty much agree with all of this. I laughed at a couple lines, the acting was all great, but what was the fecking point of it? I really didn't give a shit about any of it.
Which in my opinion didn't make for much of a movie. The acting was great, but ultimately, "so what?"

Although I wouldn't mind having a miniature donkey.
Canadian International
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

rass wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:42 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:22 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:39 am Just watched Glass Onion, the new Knives Out film. Lots of fun. As expected, Daniel Craig and Edward Norton were good. But Janelle Monae was a revelation as an actress. Really good (and of course very pretty).
There are quibbles...

But it is just so much fun to watch good actors have a great time with good material. Daniel Craig is solid gold with this character.
I agree with a Pruitt movie take for once. Quibbles but a lot of fun.
Finally got around to this one and all I can do is echo above. Highly enjoyable, solid writing. Monae is top notch. I would love to be a "Derol" in a movie.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Since he's in the air this morning, I liked the Elvis movie from last year. Or at least it's stuck with me, every time he's come up since. It's difficult to make a straight-ahead musician biopic in a post-Walk Hard world, and Baz Luhrmann is gonna Baz Luhrmann anyway. Somewhere among all the quick cuts and transitions and the anachronistic music and Tom Hanks using a weird voice in a fat suit it just really captured the essence of his beauty, or what made him special, and the tragedy of the end of his life.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:15 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:24 pm You People was pretty solid 4 stars. Eddie Murphy showed some nice acting chops and Weird Jonah Hill still can act.
Shotgun Wedding was a perfect stupid movie to have on while paying bills.
Shotgun Wedding seemed like a vehicle mainly to show off the fact that J-Lo still has an incredible body. Which, you know... That's cool and all.

Other than that, a very very silly - not great movie.

Yeah, that one scene right there was incredible. I mean she was just in a tshirt and panties and it almost moved?

Though my wife and I laughed often enough at the rest of the movie. And some of the kills (especially the final villains) were perfect.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Should also mention that we turned that off and checked out the 10PM vintage SNL and the host was peak Brad Pitt end of Friends-era Anniston, who herself has obviously aged well but it did highlight the differences between a perfect young 30 and a perfect in your 50s.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Michael Keaton is back baby. Eat it pruitt!!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:27 pm
Which in my opinion didn't make for much of a movie. The acting was great, but ultimately, "so what?"

I thought this movie was fecking great.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:02 pm

Strange thing is that the next day I started thinking about it and I realized that it was really good.
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:59 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:02 pm

Strange thing is that the next day I started thinking about it and I realized that it was really good.
Same
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

If this has been posted already, I couldn't find it.

Anyway, don't think I'm taking my kids to the new Winnie the Pooh movie.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess that means I missed that Winnie the Pooh was in the public domain.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:16 am I guess that means I missed that Winnie the Pooh was in the public domain.
It happened January 1, 2022.
[+] spoiler
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2022/05/winn ... al-killer/
Edited to put the original link under a spoiler, since it seemed to reveal a good bit about the movie. New link just talks about the public domain.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

God help me but the Disney+ chip and dale movie from last year was pretty better than just ok?
[+] spoiler
this is how I rage
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There are two potential excuses for this and you don’t have little kids sooo …
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just a little liquor, never made it upstairs to the fun drawer. Made the youngest watch with us and it was fun to see her try to fight the charm of John Mulaney and Paul Rudd.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Elvis was very boring to me. With as much visually as was happening gawd the characters lacked chemistry.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Were there more than two characters in that movie? I really liked butler and was bemused by Hanks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:18 am Were there more than two characters in that movie? I really liked butler and was bemused by Hanks.
Nope. And their chemistry sucked.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Went and saw Aunt-Man (shout out to my fellow Chip-heads) and I think I liked it overall more than both BP2 and Love and Thunder. Rudd is Rudd. A lot of pfeiffer, which was nice, and I think Majors could be a lot of fun as the big bad the next 3 or 4 years or whatever their schedule is.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Our French comrade tweeted this trailer - and - whatever the eff this is - I am all in

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That looks ridiculous and fun as hell.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I agree on the trailer, though the dog better not die.

(and bengal is participating in That French Guy erasure)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:11 pm I agree on the trailer, though the dog better not die.

(and bengal is participating in That French Guy erasure)
I was referring to bobby pents - TFG is archived in my mind. Come back TFG.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Well, according to two posters on the definitive doesthedogdie.com...
[+] spoiler
he Nazis try to kill the hero's dog a couple of times, unsuccessfully. A german shepherd is set on the hero, but he finds a way not to harm the dog.
[+] spoiler
This looks like the greatest movie ever made.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched Ant Man. If you took the under on my whelms, you are a winner!

So so so dark. I'm not even talking about themes. All the edges are too dark around the characters. I know it's a money saving endeavor, and the darker you make it the less detail you need with your CGI, but this was too much. And a lot of the way the actual actors were shot just played into it. Came home and watched The Last of Us and am surprised at how much better the dark colors look on tv, but maybe that's more about less CGI use in those scenes and more live footage.

Anyway, this one is in the bottom 5 of all Marvels for me, though I think it did its meager job of setting up the next phase.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

RE: darkness I felt exactly the same way about BP2, but then I saw Avatar 2 later the same week and even taking into account the obsessive care Cameron takes with his craft, and that I went out of my way to see A2 on what is supposed to be a really nice screen, I decided that I must have had an extremely shitty showing of BP2. Couldn't see a GD thing in the underwater scenes.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:06 pm Our French comrade tweeted this trailer - and - whatever the eff this is - I am all in

For those that don’t know, Sisu is a Finnish term that translates loosely to ‘tenacity of spirit’. I cannot wait to see this.