CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

elflaco2
Brandt

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by elflaco2 »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:47 pm I'll miss being in a division with you, el flaco.
yeah, i was in Houston last couple of days - no time for fun. longer trip in april, will let you know.
our group will still work with you guys, but not sure if that will remain as shared service or what.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:58 am
Giff wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:47 pm I'll miss being in a division with you, el flaco.
yeah, i was in Houston last couple of days - no time for fun. longer trip in april, will let you know.
our group will still work with you guys, but not sure if that will remain as shared service or what.
Sounds good! Yeah, this seems like a very smart move for us. Weird to me that we weren't already in that division, honestly.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Sorry to hear brian. And one day? What a slap in the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:56 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:37 pm Sorry, brian (and Giff/flaco?).
wait, what?

Giff and i work at same multi national -- although as of yesterday due to exec shuffle, we are now in different divisions...Giff's got moved to a different division although i hear they're kicking ass these days.
don't think Brian works with us.
So Giff knew Flaco is getting canned before he found out? Way to let the cat out of the bag, Giff.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:21 pm Sorry, man. That sucks. As DiS said, hope you get some severance.
I got one day severance. Thanks for the nice thoughts though. Appreciated.
One Day? What the hell....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thanks guys. Yeah, this place sucks ass. And despite all of the happy crappy my supervisor had been telling me about being happy about responding to her feedback on my performance this had apparently been in the works for awhile since we got paid today for the prior two weeks and I had my last three days of work (from this week) on this paycheck as well (meaning that it had been decided late last week to make the payroll deadline.)

I was basically setup to fail from the start and really have no idea why. A couple of the people on my team reached out and said it had happened before in other positions with other people. Kind of both dispiriting and infuriating but at least I don't have to deal with it any more.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Doing a welcome meeting with a new person who is on my team. He reports to one of my direct reports. It is clear he is working from his bedroom. A few years out of Virginia Tech, so the closet doors are a bit beat up, but he made his bed and the room is tidy. But found it strange that his bong is just sitting out on his bed side table. He does not know me, never met me, etc. Isn't this why you setup a virtual background? I mean it was not a ridiculous looking item, so I did not notice it until about 20 minutes into our introduction.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sooo… modern business meeting etiquette does not include bongs in meetings?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm interested in this sort of question because would it be different if it were like a ~50 year old who had some fancy liquor cabinet in the background? Like I know it looks different based on historical expectations, but functionally its not at this point?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:59 am Doing a welcome meeting with a new person who is on my team. He reports to one of my direct reports. It is clear he is working from his bedroom. A few years out of Virginia Tech, so the closet doors are a bit beat up, but he made his bed and the room is tidy. But found it strange that his bong is just sitting out on his bed side table. He does not know me, never met me, etc. Isn't this why you setup a virtual background? I mean it was not a ridiculous looking item, so I did not notice it until about 20 minutes into our introduction.
ok boomer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

One of my friends works at a company that requires security clearances... Can't just be doing pot willy-nilly.

I got drug tested on my way into the water utility. I wonder if those are going to change now that MD state law is changing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:46 pm One of my friends works at a company that requires security clearances... Can't just be doing pot willy-nilly.

I got drug tested on my way into the water utility. I wonder if those are going to change now that MD state law is changing.
Not if your job requires access to critical infrastructure like water supply!
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:05 pm I'm interested in this sort of question because would it be different if it were like a ~50 year old who had some fancy liquor cabinet in the background? Like I know it looks different based on historical expectations, but functionally its not at this point?
That is what I was wondering. I mean if there was an open liquor bottle on the desk and a glass with some ice at 10 in the morning we may have a conversation. When I joined we were drug tested, but our contractors were not. I don't know the current policy.

What i found most interesting was the tidy room. If the kid had laundry out and such it could have been just busy. But the fact the room was neat made me think I am out of touch.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:05 pm I'm interested in this sort of question because would it be different if it were like a ~50 year old who had some fancy liquor cabinet in the background? Like I know it looks different based on historical expectations, but functionally its not at this point?
i'm on Teams calls several hours a day -- often on camera. most often, no virtual background, sometimes blurry.
my home office is the office/library/bar --
there is quite clearly a liquor cabinet and shelving on wall full of wine bottles about 8 feet behind me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think a bong is more akin to the bottles on the shelf than a half-empty glass, unless its like still smoking or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I have a dedicated office but behind me is a wall with about 150 pint glasses...it seems to be a fun conversation piece with all of my new customers but I've often debated the professionalism of it. I'm mostly working with operation-manager or IT type people but I do get the occasional Executive but I've never felt bad enough to switch to a virtual background.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:59 am Doing a welcome meeting with a new person who is on my team. He reports to one of my direct reports. It is clear he is working from his bedroom. A few years out of Virginia Tech, so the closet doors are a bit beat up, but he made his bed and the room is tidy. But found it strange that his bong is just sitting out on his bed side table. He does not know me, never met me, etc. Isn't this why you setup a virtual background? I mean it was not a ridiculous looking item, so I did not notice it until about 20 minutes into our introduction.
Was this a skit featuring David Cross? Cuz it sounds like Bob Odenkirk is welcoming new employee David Cross to the team and he's got a bong on the table next to his bed. It's totally unprofessional, cuz in this instance, David Cross has proven he's not quite ready to be trusted with corporate assets if he's going to be that reckless.

However, that's freakin hilarious. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm the old guy here, I know, but I think a lot of corporate america still recoils at the sight of a bong, even in states where it is legal. You can legitimately argue whether the company is wrong for having that bias. That's fair. But a young employee ought to understand what are the biases of his employer, if he wants a future at that company.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:41 pm I have a dedicated office but behind me is a wall with about 150 pint glasses...it seems to be a fun conversation piece with all of my new customers but I've often debated the professionalism of it. I'm mostly working with operation-manager or IT type people but I do get the occasional Executive but I've never felt bad enough to switch to a virtual background.
Nah, your set-up is cool.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:28 pmI'm the old guy here, I know, but I think a lot of corporate america still recoils at the sight of a bong, even in states where it is legal. You can legitimately argue whether the company is wrong for having that bias. That's fair. But a young employee ought to understand what are the biases of his employer, if he wants a future at that company.
I think this is fair. If it was unintentional and someone says "hey, hide that", it would be dumb for the kid to push back. It would be even more dumb for the company to act before giving the heads up.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I had an interview for a job for the first time ever yesterday. It was a 3 person panel over Zoom. I feel like I did ok. I didn't lie and the questions were kinda routine if you googled "job interview questions." I don't get the yips or have butterflies in my stomach or whatever for things like this. So we'll see.

(However, I can see why people would get anxious while job hunting. It can get stressful. I'm lucky with being retired. I don't need the job. I can always apply to another one.)

Also, a couple friends asked if I shaved my beard. And the answer to that was "Fuck no." I'm not shaving anytime soon.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:05 pm Also, a couple friends asked if I shaved my beard. And the answer to that was "Fuck no." I'm not shaving anytime soon.
Gotta say...saw your beard on the 'Gram. Very impressive.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:05 pm Also, a couple friends asked if I shaved my beard. And the answer to that was "Fuck no." I'm not shaving anytime soon.
Shave that 'stache and you'd be a great Amish cosplayer.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:04 am
Thanks, man. I had no idea that it would grow in like this. Really makes military rules against beards kinda dumb for those that can grow them in well.

And what's really cool is that I have no neckbeard. So there isn't much maintenance to it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have an interview (virtually) on Monday for a sports book ticket writer position (basically the dude who takes your bet at the counter).

It's obviously well below my pay grade and I doubt they are going to pay what I'm going to demand but I will be interested to see how it goes. I'm obviously overqualified for it and maybe Caesars will realize it's better to pay a responsible older dude an extra $5/hr than some 25-year-old kid with a scattered work record.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Any tips on where to find good salary benchmarks on the web? The first one I saw depressed the shit out of me, so trying to kind of see if that's an outlier and thought maybe some of you had done similar. I'm in the 6th percentile based on my first look. Yes, you read that correctly.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 am Any tips on where to find good salary benchmarks on the web? The first one I saw depressed the shit out of me, so trying to kind of see if that's an outlier and thought maybe some of you had done similar. I'm in the 6th percentile based on my first look. Yes, you read that correctly.
Not trying to be snarky - but you live in a low cost-of-living state, so I’d expect pay levels to be a bit depressed, relative to other places.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Was gonna say... that's the trickiest thing about salary landscape research. Vastly different salaries depending on COL.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:40 am Any tips on where to find good salary benchmarks on the web? The first one I saw depressed the shit out of me, so trying to kind of see if that's an outlier and thought maybe some of you had done similar. I'm in the 6th percentile based on my first look. Yes, you read that correctly.
Not trying to be snarky - but you live in a low cost-of-living state, so I’d expect pay levels to be a bit depressed, relative to other places.
Yeah, just read a report that depressed me. Making $100,000 in NYC is the equivalent of making $36,000 in an average cost of living place in the US.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:19 am
It was region adjusted. I put in my zip code and matched my job responsibilities as closely as I could. I totally get what you're saying, and if I was in the 50th percentile even I wouldn't have looked twice and said, well, the health insurance is good. But even after adding the differences in what i get extra vs. average on benefits it only pushed me to about the 16-17th percentile. So I tried to normalize it as much as I could.

I also got some anecdotal information by accident for someone else in my company that was offputting. I'm happy for them and I think they do a good job, but it was a bit of a slap to hear, even accidentally. I get that job performance matters and I'm not really talking to a group that would be sympathetic to my work ethic given my time spent here, but 17th percentile was gobsmackingly low to me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I've seen a couple of tools in the past, but honestly nothing that great. The best way I have gotten that type of info has been by talking to recruiters or applying/interviewing for new jobs.

Related... It's terrible how companies are so shortsighted and won't pay to keep good, existing employees but pay higher salaries to new employees. I've changed jobs what feels like way too often. I posted here about leaving Raytheon, where I was at a position that I liked but they wouldn't give me a raise and a better offer came along. In my role at Raytheon I had some insight into some pay related information. Given what I know of people that worked for me and the routine raises in the industry (tending to average about 3%/yr) I estimate I would be making 50-60% less than I am now without those job changes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:22 pm
I've seen a couple of tools in the past, but honestly nothing that great. The best way I have gotten that type of info has been by talking to recruiters or applying/interviewing for new jobs.

Related... It's terrible how companies are so shortsighted and won't pay to keep good, existing employees but pay higher salaries to new employees. I've changed jobs what feels like way too often. I posted here about leaving Raytheon, where I was at a position that I liked but they wouldn't give me a raise and a better offer came along. In my role at Raytheon I had some insight into some pay related information. Given what I know of people that worked for me and the routine raises in the industry (tending to average about 3%/yr) I estimate I would be making 50-60% less than I am now without those job changes.
Great point on the 3% annual increases. Stay at a company for 10 years, and you are likely making significantly less than a new hire doing the same job. Completely ignores the value of experience and institutional knowledge. Ideally companies will pay band and adjust, but that’s difficult and time consuming. My previous company did that recently, and adjusted for location cost of living. I was expecting a bump living in NJ and being there for 9 years, but got nothing. Pissed me off, and if they didn’t announce the incoming adjustments I wouldn’t have been upset.

New York and several other states recently passed salary transparency laws and require salary ranges in all job postings. It’s fantastic when you look at job postings and immediately see they pay way too low and you don’t waste your time. I still look at all the job listings coming out on LinkedIn that fit my search and what I’d want to move up to to see what everyone is paying.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, as I've been looking, I've noticed way more companies giving pay ranges in their listings. I didn't realize that it was due to state laws, but that makes sense. I'm not liking my job much these days (lots of red flags going around), but I am paid quite well. I like that I can avoid wasting everyone's time.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can't believe I regularly rely on emoticons or favicons or whatever to communicate at work. A thumbs up just somehow seems more appropriate than "OK thanks". And easier! They're built into the UI's. Everyone else does it! Ugh.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Be careful, you might get reported to HR. Thumbs up is passive-aggressive.

Gen Z Have Cancelled The Thumbs Up Emoji And Here’s Why You Should Worry
Last edited by degenerasian on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It doesn't bother me at work, but the thumbs up can bother me in a text.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm It doesn't bother me at work, but the thumbs up can bother me in a text.
I see the thumbs up as a way to acknowledge receipt and confirm you are taking action on something. Can't fathom how it is rude. Although, I use thumbs up to acknowledge and end the conversation. So maybe it's rude by saying "I'm done discussing?"
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm It doesn't bother me at work, but the thumbs up can bother me in a text.
I'm honestly curious...can you explain why it bothers you in a text? I use it frequently but now am wondering if I'm not thinking of something...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's dumb. I guess every work has its own culture, but the thumbs up emoji is used all the time in my work Slack. It essentially means OK, or got it. We have a jillion different emojis in our Slack and tons of different ones are used a lot. People throw in animated gifs a lot as well. It's fine.
Totally Kafkaesque
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:37 pm
I see the thumbs up as a way to acknowledge receipt and confirm you are taking action on something. Can't fathom how it is rude. Although, I use thumbs up to acknowledge and end the conversation. So maybe it's rude by saying "I'm done discussing?"
Yes, it's a conversation ender.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..