Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:24 am we have stackable samsung washers we bought from costco when we bought our house. been happy with them so far and the costco customer support came in handy after we had torn washer seal (it was user error). they came out and fixed it and even briefly offered to fully refund us for the unit before I took the repair for logistical reasons. I've started to buy from costco whenever prices are comparable elsewhere to get the extra years of service and support

((I might have asked about the refund thing upthread a couple years ago))
Damn I hadn’t thought of Costco. I have a BJ’s membership (cuz they’re about a mile from our house). If you have an active account with them, can you do me a favor and verify the price of this unit?
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

$1899.99
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:32 pm$1899.99
Thanks!
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Agree with hole In house. Now quite diy but maybe less than I thought. Had a new hole cut in siding for kitchen oven vent and less than I thought to it. Hole in house. Metal duct opening short run if that mostly none. Exterior hardware vent. U ok. Filter but none on my dryer albeit both kitchen and wash vent to garage and porch covered areas so no water concerns.

Used washer dryer ok? Often people get stuck with heavy appliances especially those for specific spaces
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:27 pm Agree with hole In house. Now quite diy but maybe less than I thought. Had a new hole cut in siding for kitchen oven vent and less than I thought to it. Hole in house. Metal duct opening short run if that mostly none. Exterior hardware vent. U ok. Filter but none on my dryer albeit both kitchen and wash vent to garage and porch covered areas so no water concerns.

Used washer dryer ok? Often people get stuck with heavy appliances especially those for specific spaces
Me I'd have no problem going used. My wife on the other hand...not a chance.

I just bought myself a Costco membership. We need to upgrade our kitchen appliances this year anyway. Looks like the white washer/dryer set is $1899, and the red/black/green options are $1999 (or, what they cost at HomeDepot). So before I pull the trigger on this, I need to book a handyman to install the vent. Or, I can buy it now (while it's in stock), and then push back the delivery date.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:14 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:06 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:09 pm So we need to install a dryer vent into our house. The house is 110 years old and nobody ever installed a vent. Go figure. Or it was installed and since removed.

Anyway, we need a new washer & dryer, and the dryer options really open up when you don't need a ventless option. Anybody have any advice to impart re: installing a vent on the side of a house? I guess the duct/hose will have to be insulated in some safe/compliant fashion.

We're in the market for a stackable washer/dryer solution, and would like to stay under $2k with both installed (this isn't including the vent installation, which for the life of me I have no idea what will cost me). Anybody have any recommendations? I'd like to avoid LG if at all possible. Whirlpool? GE? Samsung?
Hmm...sounds like you've had a bad experience with LG. I have an LG stack and we're happy with them (I'm told, that's the one chore I rarely ever do).

I've heard bad things about Samsung (which surprised me) and I personally don't like Whirlpool. No idea on GE.
Yeah, the unit we're replacing is LG. TBH, we are replacing a washer/dryer combination unit. As in, not stackable. The same basin performed both tasks. It lasted like 8 years and I think it might explode if we were to run it again. The unit was stupid from the get - a wash and dry took about 4 hours (45 minute wash, and about 3+ hours to dry your clothes (ventless dryer). That says as much about me thinking it was a decent option as much as it does the company for putting their name on the product though.

I'm looking at this LG. I know I have to get a handyman in to install the vent before I order it though.

Also considering GE and Whirlpool (and their companion stackable dryers)...The LG is actually rated higher. So I just gotta get over the mental block.
Combo washer/dryers are trash no matter what brand makes them - those are generally only good for last resorts, like I live in a shoebox and have absolutely no space.

I think the one you linked is the one we have. Just wish it would play a new jingle when it finishes, other than that it's pretty good.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Just looked up vent install - it really is just cut a hole. I'm pretty sure I could do it in an hour, and if that's the case a handyman can do it in 30 mins. Assuming you don't have a difficult setup or a house with diamond walls, of course.

If you're really concerned about sealing it just put some silicone caulking underneath it or even just some weatherstripping. The handyman would do it if you asked him I'm sure. Could do both sides to be extra sure.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:27 pm Agree with hole In house. Now quite diy but maybe less than I thought. Had a new hole cut in siding for kitchen oven vent and less than I thought to it. Hole in house. Metal duct opening short run if that mostly none. Exterior hardware vent. U ok. Filter but none on my dryer albeit both kitchen and wash vent to garage and porch covered areas so no water concerns.

I'd be leery of a used one just due to how frequently these things break. May as well get one with a warranty that a big box store will deliver and install for you.

EDIT: Just looked for some used examples and uhh...nevermind, you can potentially find an absolute bargain used washer/dryer. I think you're right - people are just praying to get rid of these things at even a decent price and most will actually deliver them to you. Probably get one like the one in Enoch's link for under $500.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:39 pm Just looked up vent install - it really is just cut a hole. I'm pretty sure I could do it in an hour, and if that's the case a handyman can do it in 30 mins. Assuming you don't have a difficult setup or a house with diamond walls, of course.

If you're really concerned about sealing it just put some silicone caulking underneath it or even just some weatherstripping. The handyman would do it if you asked him I'm sure. Could do both sides to be extra sure.
Our W&D is on the second floor, so the hole would need to be cut in the room behind it, and then through the drywall behind the (new) dryer. So I guess the difficult part would be where he needs to get on a ladder and install the cover.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Coming off a second floor water disaster, do everything you possibly can to avoid that. Better basic equipment like hoses, connections and I bought a wifi water leak detector for about $30 on sale. A second floor water leak can cause several hundred thousand in damage. Avoid at all costs.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 pm Coming off a second floor water disaster, do everything you possibly can to avoid that. Better basic equipment like hoses, connections and I bought a wifi water leak detector for about $30 on sale. A second floor water leak can cause several hundred thousand in damage. Avoid at all costs.
Wow. Thanks for the advice. :shock:
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Folks, make sure you clean your washers drain line from time to time. We’ve been having problems with the cycle taking forever for a few weeks then I finally got an error code. Scoured that hose and better so far. Lots of buildup. We shall see.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:21 am Folks, make sure you clean your washers drain line from time to time. We’ve been having problems with the cycle taking forever for a few weeks then I finally got an error code. Scoured that hose and better so far. Lots of buildup. We shall see.
Another thing I’ve never done…
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gonna dance with a noisy/runny toilet today. Wish me luck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:43 am Gonna dance with a noisy/runny toilet today. Wish me luck.
Replace the seal in the flapper?
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:54 am
rass wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:43 am Gonna dance with a noisy/runny toilet today. Wish me luck.
Replace the seal in the flapper?
And/or get a new flapper.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:21 am Folks, make sure you clean your washers drain line from time to time. We’ve been having problems with the cycle taking forever for a few weeks then I finally got an error code. Scoured that hose and better so far. Lots of buildup. We shall see.
OK, so I’ve got a drain hose that empties into a pipe that is sitting next to a hot water and cold water pipes (hoses connected to them).

Are you saying you scoured the hose itself, or the drain? And how did you do it?
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:15 pm
OK, so I’ve got a drain hose that empties into a pipe that is sitting next to a hot water and cold water pipes (hoses connected to them).

Are you saying you scoured the hose itself, or the drain? And how did you do it?
AB took some artistic license with his telling of the story, including leaving out the scouring of the dryer because he thought it would drag on too long and didn’t add enough to the narrative.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:28 pm

AB took some artistic license with his telling of the story, including leaving out the scouring of the dryer because he thought it would drag on too long and didn’t add enough to the narrative.
I mean, he does have an entire season’s worth of content to write.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The hose from washer to drain. Then the filter underneath. It was a disaster and had to be the issue.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:28 pm The hose from washer to drain. Then the filter underneath. It was a disaster and had to be the issue.
The filter underneath the washer, or under the basin, but on the front of the unit?
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:28 pm

Fantastic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:48 pm
A_B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:28 pm The hose from washer to drain. Then the filter underneath. It was a disaster and had to be the issue.
The filter underneath the washer, or under the basin, but on the front of the unit?
I feel like I’m taking an exam.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:48 pm
I feel like I’m taking an exam.
No that wasn't my intention. I'm in the process of replacing a dual W&D unit with a stackable pair. I had to refuse delivery on the LG model cuz I neglected to realize Home Depot has it written in stone that their installer shall not install the unit no less than 5" from the wall, which would mean I'd need a bigger drip pan. So now I have a new order in for a slightly smaller stackable W&D.

I'm legit curious about making sure I don't blow up my house. I did have the dryer vent installed, and I had them put in an access panel behind where the W&D will be placed.

Thanks. I'm a young 52, you see.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I have only changes the one available from the front and then also scoured the waste line. I will get my owners manual out today and check to see how difficult it is to find the other one which seems to exist.

But my cycle times are down 30 minutes at least.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So we just had a stackable GE washer & dryer installed. I did a few loads of laundry today. Yay!

Question: after the load finishes washing (cold, high spin), when I open the door, I get a blast of hot air to my face. I can't help but think the guy mixed up the hose installation. What else could cause this?
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:18 pm So we just had a stackable GE washer & dryer installed. I did a few loads of laundry today. Yay!

Question: after the load finishes washing (cold, high spin), when I open the door, I get a blast of hot air to my face. I can't help but think the guy mixed up the hose installation. What else could cause this?
That's the best explanation, but one question: were you drying clothes at the same time? If so, some of the dryer heat could be entering the washing machine chamber. Run a hot cycle on your washing machine but stop it after 15 minutes and check the temperature of your clothes. If they're cold, then it has to be switched hoses.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:18 pm So we just had a stackable GE washer & dryer installed. I did a few loads of laundry today. Yay!

That's the best explanation, but one question: were you drying clothes at the same time? If so, some of the dryer heat could be entering the washing machine chamber. Run a hot cycle on your washing machine but stop it after 15 minutes and check the temperature of your clothes. If they're cold, then it has to be switched hoses.
I haven't had both units working simultaneously yet. But that's a good idea. Run a load on hot and interrupt the cycle. If it's not hot, then Home Depot needs to come back out and finish the job.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:18 pm

the load finishe...d ... , I get a blast of hot ...to my face.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

:lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 pm

I haven't had both units working simultaneously yet. But that's a good idea. Run a load on hot and interrupt the cycle. If it's not hot, then Home Depot needs to come back out and finish the job.
Hiring Home Depot to install anything is a mistake. They subcontractors they hire are not vetted and most don’t fully know what they’re doing. I learned that the hard way after hiring them to install a screen door at my old house and it was done very poorly.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I said screen DOOR, not screen FLOOR!

-Sabo, probably
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shit, all I needed from HD was for them to load a gas grill into the back of my SUV. It took them 45 minutes and they wound of up bending a piece of it because they couldn't figure out how to disassemble a part to make it fit.

It took all of my nonexistent patience to sit there and watch that keystone cop fuckery.

I know it's different than who they subcontract jobs to, but the point is --> Corporate no one gives a shit.

(These kids were sweet and good intentioned... That doesn't mean they weren't idiots.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:15 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:49 pm

Hiring Home Depot to install anything is a mistake. They subcontractors they hire are not vetted and most don’t fully know what they’re doing. I learned that the hard way after hiring them to install a screen door at my old house and it was done very poorly.
They had a free installation offer with appliances re: Presidents Day weekend. Or something like that.

So we just did a load of linens on "hot." The load finished, and when I opened the door, there was heat that came back at me, but not nearly as intense as the previous loads (heh). What this tells me is the Internal Water Heater kicked on for the 'hot' wash, when in fact it was heating cool/cold water for 45 minutes. The cold washes were much hotter, but that's because the HD installer installed Hot to Cold and Cold to Hot.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:03 pm Shit, all I needed from HD was for them to load a gas grill into the back of my SUV. It took them 45 minutes and they wound of up bending a piece of it because they couldn't figure out how to disassemble a part to make it fit.

It took all of my nonexistent patience to sit there and watch that keystone cop fuckery.

I know it's different than who they subcontract jobs to, but the point is --> Corporate no one gives a shit.

(These kids were sweet and good intentioned... That doesn't mean they weren't idiots.)
:lol:

I just got off the phone with customer support. They'll be back out a week from tomorrow to correct the hosing snafu.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cant you just twist them off and switch?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:33 pm Cant you just twist them off and switch?
It's about 600 lbs of machine (dryer attached on top of washer), set back in an alcove set into a pan. I aint getting that thing out.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Got you
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

New dishwasher is being dropped off tomorrow - installation on Monday.

Looks like it's up to me to disconnect the old machine. Any tips?
Canadian International
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:53 am New dishwasher is being dropped off tomorrow - installation on Monday.

Looks like it's up to me to disconnect the old machine. Any tips?

Yes, don't plug the power cord into the wall before connecting it to the new machine. Seems obvious but I did it last time I installed one and I'm lucky I only got buzzed.

Not super hard to install, can be a bit of a bitch to level it out at the end depending on the model. Youtube has videos that explain it. Really only about four steps.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.