Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Gunpowder »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:12 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:53 am New dishwasher is being dropped off tomorrow - installation on Monday.

Looks like it's up to me to disconnect the old machine. Any tips?

Yes, don't plug the power cord into the wall before connecting it to the new machine. Seems obvious but I did it last time I installed one and I'm lucky I only got buzzed.

Not super hard to install, can be a bit of a bitch to level it out at the end depending on the model. Youtube has videos that explain it. Really only about four steps.

Oh wait you just have to disconnect the old one? Shoudn't take more than a few minutes. They are usually screwed into the cabinet/countertop/whatever somewhere. Just be sure to turn off the water line supplying the dishwasher before you disconnect it.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:53 am New dishwasher is being dropped off tomorrow - installation on Monday.

Yes, don't plug the power cord into the wall before connecting it to the new machine. Seems obvious but I did it last time I installed one and I'm lucky I only got buzzed.

Not super hard to install, can be a bit of a bitch to level it out at the end depending on the model. Youtube has videos that explain it. Really only about four steps.
Paying a guy to install it. I basically just have to get it unhooked and ready to be carried to the truck.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Make sure to turn off the water before you start disconnecting!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We found a cheap handyman and it was nice to open our front door from the inside without the handle falling off finally! I'm like the least handiest man ever, so this is a nice development.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:42 am

Paying a guy to install it. I basically just have to get it unhooked and ready to be carried to the truck.
Luck of the draw. Quite sure I wrestled a dishwasher but probably because it was rigged up to get installed and level. Recall shims and upgrade/replacement floor layers and L brackets
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:24 pm

Success!

Anyone with handy man skills would laugh, but I consider this to be a fairly major accomplishment.
Canadian International
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i would have been terrified right out of the idea of doing it.

glad to see the post-dishwasher "i'm alive" post :D
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:06 pm

Success!

Anyone with handy man skills would laugh, but I consider this to be a fairly major accomplishment.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Success!

I'm terrified to replace our fire alarm, so I get it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Success!

Mazel tov! I successfully disconnected my refrigerator from the water line when we replaced it. I welled up.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

You should be careful around the sink until the new one is connected. Sometimes the dishwasher is plumbed directly into the garbage disposal and there is a loop that will prevent the drain from just running out the dishwasher hose. Make sure you have that upward loop.

Ex:
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Gotta start small. In a year or two you'll be renovating small offices by yourself.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

testuser2 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:43 pm You should be careful around the sink until the new one is connected. Sometimes the dishwasher is plumbed directly into the garbage disposal and there is a loop that will prevent the drain from just running out the dishwasher hose. Make sure you have that upward loop.

Ex:
No garbage disposal here.

And my work is done - Installation will be done by professionals.
Canadian International
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Well done. Pride is rightfully yours
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:15 am

*stunned silence*
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:49 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:15 am

*stunned silence*
Pretty sure they're illegal here.
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So water coming out of the bottom front of the dishwasher, not a little but not a flood. Turned it off and it did properly drain in a normal amount of time. Checked the filter and nothing seems to be blocking it. Seal? Other?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Leak in the connection line?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:26 am So water coming out of the bottom front of the dishwasher, not a little but not a flood. Turned it off and it did properly drain in a normal amount of time. Checked the filter and nothing seems to be blocking it. Seal? Other?
Do you think it's excess water getting into the dishwasher, or the dishwasher failing to hold in the water that's in there during the cycle?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anyone tried wood epoxy to repair rotted siding and trim? Neighbors selling and kindly asked for repairs to the damage caused by the $1200 pressure wash the wife purchased the same week I bought a pressure washer. Damn thing still in the box but now I get another repair job. I'm quite sure the neighbors meant hire a pro and make it look nicer but this is what's gonna happen so long as I get swamp sign off
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

More research says that I have hardboard/Masonite siding. So epoxy the wrong stuff and no way to repair. Should replace it entirely but only bad where I let the tree grow too close.

https://youtu.be/Ne-lAjU0MZI

Beyond my tools and strength likely especially since up to 6 ft but localized. Now how to find someone handy with a crowbar and circular saw at a decent price
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 am More research says that I have hardboard/Masonite siding. So epoxy the wrong stuff and no way to repair. Should replace it entirely but only bad where I let the tree grow too close.

Beyond my tools and strength likely especially since up to 6 ft but localized. Now how to find someone handy with a crowbar and circular saw at a decent price
You can always try Angi or whatever website/app to generate interest in your project, but if I'm you I go to a locally owned hardware store and ask the manager/owner. Stay the hell away from Home Depot or Lowes.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:46 pm

Success!

Mazel tov! I successfully disconnected my refrigerator from the water line when we replaced it. I welled up.
Our dishwasher kept throwing some error and the part that they told me needed to be replaced + labor was going to cost ~500$ so we were going to get a new dishwasher cause I hate it. We ordered a new one and when we had the floor replaced the idiots put it over the front feet and the Home Depot guys are authorized to cut anything, so back to the repair BUT the shitty washer works again. I think the HD guys shut off the water so I turned it back on (or think I did, it's a weird 1/4 turn only valve.) The shitty washer is even more shitty, and doesn't seem to wash the top rack, which wasn't the problem before. I've adjusted the weird valve 1700 times and it doesn't seem to improve any ideas from you certified plumbers?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I once had to clean out the little whirly thing that is right under the top rack. It had gotten gummed up somehow and no water was spraying from the nozzles. You can usually just pull it out of it's seating, clean it and then put it back in after you've ungummed it.

Also, one model we had had a shitty water pattern and if you accidentally covered up too much of the bottom rack it wouldn't clean anything on the top. So if you are putting pans or casserole dishes in there it could be as simple as doing some of that by hand. Which does, of course, defeat the purpose of a dishwasher.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

AB my hero!

Next Ale-8-One is on me! Wasn't clogged, but when I took it out I noticed the little connector was loose and the rubber washer was on the bottom of the washer. All hooked back up (after having to unscrew and crew back in about 30 tiny screws.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:57 am More research says that I have hardboard/Masonite siding. So epoxy the wrong stuff and no way to repair. Should replace it entirely but only bad where I let the tree grow too close.

No experience with this but in my experience with Dipshit DIY my first rule is "yeah, you can probably do it just fine yourself".
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Entry door from garage to kitchen won't open now. The "plunger" won't go back far enough when moving the door handle. I am unable to get anything in the jamb to force it. Got the handle removed, but still can't get the "plunger" to disengage. So frustrating. Thankfully we have a entry from the basement to the garage so we were able to get the cars out this morning.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think that happened to one of my doors too. Definitely annoying.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wa the doorknob/handle loose? I had one where the handle got loose in just the right way to catch a bit and not open without a little tug. Tightened all the screws on the handle after squirting a bit of wd-40 in the open mechanism with the handle off. This improved but since it's the most used door in the house I think it just gets worn more quickly.

This was a spherical knob, but not sure that would matter.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:15 am ...I had...the...d...in...a little tug. Tight...hand...squirting a bit of...ism... This improved but since it's the most used d...in the house I think it just gets worn more quickly...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:33 am
A_B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:15 am ...I had...the...d...in...a little tug. Tight...hand...squirting a bit of...ism... This improved but since it's the most used d...in the house I think it just gets worn more quickly...
Lol.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to use silicone spray for doors instead of WD-40? Or is that just a hoax spread by Big Silicone Spray?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm
Lol.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to use silicone spray for doors instead of WD-40? Or is that just a hoax spread by Big Silicone Spray?
Maybe, no idea, but also not sure I've ver bought silicone spray. but it did work better after wd40. probably for the robbers as well.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could have also kept the last sentence without any ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:20 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:11 pm
Lol.

Maybe, no idea, but also not sure I've ver bought silicone spray. but it did work better after wd40. probably for the robbers as well.
WD-40 definitely works short term. If I recall right, the concern was that longterm use of WD-40 would gum up the mechanism somehow. It was probably bullshit though.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

You should use silicon lubricant on doors. WD40 is not actually a lubricant, it's a solvent. I think the potential issue with WD40 is that it can remove the lubrication inside the lock/handle mechanism over time and jam them up even more.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well it worked for me, so I'll just be over here with my only slightly sticking door handle...HEY WAIT A MINUTE!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Facebook is a direct line to workers. I've found 5-6 leads. For trh good of the order one Brazilian guy offered $700 which was lowest. Apparently legit company said $900 but I buy materials and he doesn't take trash. Ok? Likely going to let him do it right and do the entire wall of the house. Says $1800 for labor and $1500 material. need to do some calculations to see if that's right. Way more than I planned but feels like the best option. Maybe I can skate and push the whole house job on the next guy. Still need to paint and caulk though. At 6ft diy but no way I climb ladder
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:48 pm Well it worked for me, so I'll just be over here with my only slightly sticking door handle...HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

I just looked it up and WD-40 can cause graphite lubricant to harden, which I think is the main concern. So just don't spray any graphite lube into the handle and you'll be ok.

Reddit suggests Tri-Flow or Houdini brand sprays. Or white lithium lubricant.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:59 pm At 6ft diy but no way I climb ladder
That's a solid rule.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

duff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:40 am Entry door from garage to kitchen won't open now. The "plunger" won't go back far enough when moving the door handle. I am unable to get anything in the jamb to force it. Got the handle removed, but still can't get the "plunger" to disengage. So frustrating. Thankfully we have a entry from the basement to the garage so we were able to get the cars out this morning.
Mechanism to pull the plunger back broke somehow. Ended up twisting the middle mechanism about 720 degrees and it popped out. Easy part now is installing the new door handle. Hard part is choosing one the wife likes.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I'm going to rip out our massive, convection-microwave oven, and also tear out the cabinet above it. I'll replace the microwave with a better, smaller footprint microwave oven, and also install a shelf unit above it for items my wife will forevermore need me to reach for her. However, this will allow me to finally install an under cabinet range beneath the microwave oven.

Any recommendations? I don't want to rip up my kitchen, so it would need to be ductless.

eta: this looks decent. Curious as to how a range hood that is only 17" deep can cover a range that is 8" deeper.
Noli Timere Messorem