33%
Holy shit it is!
67%

Total votes: 3

rass
The Dude

FMuD: Stay (I Missed You)

Post by rass »

Welcome to the threatened third installment of an intermittent series where I explore a music video from the 90s by an artist who rass in his 40s doesn't feel too weird about admitting that rass in his 20s found attractive, especially in the selected video.

Prior entries were for Ironic and You Were Meant For Me (and???).

Part of the reason I never got around to this thread is that I never came up with a concept worthy of the video.

And I probably still haven't.

But as mentioned here, after years of hundreds of channels I've been relegated to a car without SiriusXM and have again taken to using the FM dial and a CD player. The two CDs I have in the car are Gord's Gold (two albums on one disc, I've memorized Carefree Highway and finally figured out the harmony line on If You Could Read My Mind) and a copy of Tails by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories (both grabbed for $2 or $3 at a record shop while shopping for vinyl with one of the kids). Stay is track 13 (same as Carefree Highway!) and since I started listening to it somewhat regularly in a decent acoustic environment I noticed something, right after her first sentence, at around the 19 or 20-second mark:

That's the iPhone text sound, right?

Right?? My wife either agrees with me or realized it was the right time to patronize me. What do you think?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Re: FMuD: Stay (I Missed You)

Post by Reaper »

I pushed play on the YouTube vid before I even read your paragraph and heard the same thing you hear. I mean, if they isolated just that sound, that's pretty impressive. I never would've come up with that on my own, but yes, it's totally there.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Holy fuck, I never would have noticed that! I listened 10 times before I read further and saw you identified what you noticed. So cool. Might just be a weird guitar noise and a coincidence, but it sounds exactly like it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I couldn't pick out that sound (listening on my computer speakers)...but I'll leave you with the really great write up on this song from the "Number Ones" column on Stereogum:

The Number Ones: Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories’ “Stay (I Missed You)”. It was written originally for Daryl Hall!
Lisa Loeb started to write “Stay (I Missed You)” when she was still at Berklee. She’d just gotten into a bad fight with her producer and long-term boyfriend Juan Patiño. As she continued to work on the song, Loeb learned that Daryl Hall, a guy who’s been in this column a bunch of times, was looking for songs for a solo project. Loeb usually wrote strummy, folky songs, but she tried to tailor “Stay (I Missed You)” to Hall’s sensibilities. Years later, Loeb told Genius, “I was trying to come up with something that was a little bit R&B, but good for [Hall’s] voice. So I came up with that guitar… It’s not a riff. It was just chord changes, and it felt kind of R&B groovy-ish, for me, at the time.” Loeb never got the chance to play “Stay (I Missed You)” for Daryl Hall. (Loeb met Hall after “Stay” has already been a hit, and she got to tell him that she wrote it for him. He never had any idea.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think it's a coincidence. And if not, it's only because you hear what you want to.

I guess you could reach out via Twitter or some other means and ask the question though. Discovering that will win you internet virality points for the day!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

This is such a weirdly obsessive post. I love that you made that connection.

And I'm impressed that you still buy physical media. Can't be too many people buying used Lisa Loeb CDs these days.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am but I'll leave you with the really great write up on this song from the "Number Ones" column on Stereogum:
Hey, a Tom Breihan fan! Have you read his book, 'The Number Ones'? Definitely worth your time. He writes about songs that hit #1 on the Billboard chart that he thought signaled a new direction in pop music. Does an excellent job of giving context and describing what came next. There are 20 chapters, and I cared about maybe 6 of them. (The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.) But I actually enjoyed the other chapters more because I knew so little about the subjects. Never thought I would be so caught up in stories about T-Pain and Soulja Boy. Read this book, Swamp.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am This is such a weirdly obsessive post. I love that you made that connection.

And I'm impressed that you still buy physical media. Can't be too many people buying used Lisa Loeb CDs these days.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am but I'll leave you with the really great write up on this song from the "Number Ones" column on Stereogum:
Hey, a Tom Breihan fan! Have you read his book, 'The Number Ones'? Definitely worth your time. He writes about songs that hit #1 on the Billboard chart that he thought signaled a new direction in pop music. Does an excellent job of giving context and describing what came next. There are 20 chapters, and I cared about maybe 6 of them. (The Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.) But I actually enjoyed the other chapters more because I knew so little about the subjects. Never thought I would be so caught up in stories about T-Pain and Soulja Boy. Read this book, Swamp.
I have read that book. It was great, but I'd already heard a lot of those stories since I'd been a regular reader of that column.

But I haven't been reading it (the column) as much lately...I'm just not as interested in hearing stories about Justin Timberlake or Maroon 5.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:05 pm But I haven't been reading it (the column) as much lately...I'm just not as interested in hearing stories about Justin Timberlake or Maroon 5.
Yep. My interest in/knowledge of pop music ends somewhere around 1987. Breihan is engaging enough to make it interesting, tho. (I'm not a regular reader of his column. A friend is, and he sends me links occasionally.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am I couldn't pick out that sound (listening on my computer speakers)...but I'll leave you with the really great write up on this song from the "Number Ones" column on Stereogum:

The Number Ones: Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories’ “Stay (I Missed You)”. It was written originally for Daryl Hall!
Lisa Loeb started to write “Stay (I Missed You)” when she was still at Berklee. She’d just gotten into a bad fight with her producer and long-term boyfriend Juan Patiño. As she continued to work on the song, Loeb learned that Daryl Hall, a guy who’s been in this column a bunch of times, was looking for songs for a solo project. Loeb usually wrote strummy, folky songs, but she tried to tailor “Stay (I Missed You)” to Hall’s sensibilities. Years later, Loeb told Genius, “I was trying to come up with something that was a little bit R&B, but good for [Hall’s] voice. So I came up with that guitar… It’s not a riff. It was just chord changes, and it felt kind of R&B groovy-ish, for me, at the time.” Loeb never got the chance to play “Stay (I Missed You)” for Daryl Hall. (Loeb met Hall after “Stay” has already been a hit, and she got to tell him that she wrote it for him. He never had any idea.)
Thanks DiS! I started reading his series because of you and fell off sometime in the past year or two when work got too busy and I couldn't keep up with everything. I do intend on buying the book for summer vacation reading.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:26 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am I couldn't pick out that sound (listening on my computer speakers)...but I'll leave you with the really great write up on this song from the "Number Ones" column on Stereogum:

Thanks DiS! I started reading his series because of you and fell off sometime in the past year or two when work got too busy and I couldn't keep up with everything. I do intend on buying the book for summer vacation reading.
- Interesting point on that being the only 90s alt-rock #1
- I should have actually watched the whole video because I forgot about the "one take" and didn't know (or also forgot) that Ethan Hawke directed it
- Her boyfriend/producer at the time also produced music for Jewel, including YWMFM.

That overall seemed more positive a write-up than a 7/10.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:28 am I couldn't pick out that sound (listening on my computer speakers)
Is it that you don't listen hard or don't pay attention?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:05 pm
bapo! wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:52 am This is such a weirdly obsessive post. I love that you made that connection.

I have read that book. It was great, but I'd already heard a lot of those stories since I'd been a regular reader of that column.

But I haven't been reading it (the column) as much lately...I'm just not as interested in hearing stories about Justin Timberlake or Maroon 5.
I took that book out on audio because of your recommendation. Only made it a little bit into it before I got distracted, but I like the stories. I'll probably borrow it again when I have a long car ride.

Did you know that Chubby Checker got his name because the record label owner's wife thought he looked and sounded like a young Fats Domino so she named him Chubby Checker.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Why does anyone have sound on for sending texts?

(Don’t mistake this with me not appreciating the basis of the post.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Without checking first, predict another song where you might hear the same thing. I’m going More Than Words
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:21 pm Without checking first, predict another song where you might hear the same thing. I’m going More Than Words
That is perfect.

Gonna cheat (both because I’m not guessing and because the sounds is intentional) and say the end of Shake Your Rump which has this little sound effect at the end that for some reason has imprinted itself on my brain.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:21 pm Without checking first, predict another song where you might hear the same thing. I’m going More Than Words
'Revolution #9,' but only when it's played backwards.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 pm That is perfect.

Gonna cheat … and say … Your Rump … which has this little sound effect at the end … for some reason has imprinted itself on my brain.
#farts
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.