The Random Rankings Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: The Random Rankings Thread

Post by EnochRoot »

Aye.

Not listing the Stone Roses debut LP anywhere in that 100 basically invalidates that list. :mrgreen:
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:37 pm If you're looking for more pop to a mixed drink, try adding some umami powder (important: less is more).
I’d like to hear more about this. Give me a full recipe where you’d use it?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:02 pm
Aye.

Not listing the Stone Roses debut LP anywhere in that 100 basically invalidates that list. :mrgreen:
Weird omission too since you’d think that would be in his wheelhouse but maybe he factored in career length? No Neutral Milk Hotel, no Postal Service.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Om Avery Island came out before Aeroplane, I think. Postal Service seems like cheating the same way Traveling Wilburys does.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shit, why was I convinced it went debut, lesser follow up and done?

(I know how, as in the late 90s I was transitioning from NY rap to Dave Matthews Band. I don’t know the why.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Really liked the Hip Hop inclusions on that list, but I'm bummed there's no DMX or Eminem.

Both of those debut albums were very influential on the culture at large.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:02 pm
Aye.

I remember when I used to read every word that Steven Hyden and Nathan Rabin wrote. I forgot that Hyden writes for effing Uproxx now. I miss The AV Club and Grantland so much, you guys.

Looking at the albums on my hard drive, and without getting too far into the weeds, here are what I consider omissions:

1. No-brainers: The Smiths self-titled, The Cure 'Three Imaginary Boys,' Tori Amos 'Little Earthquakes,' The Auteurs 'New Wave,' Jenny Lewis 'Rabbit Fur Coat.'

2. Personal preference: Sparklehorse, Dandy Warhols, Beirut, TV on the Radio, St. Vincent. (I might include Björk's 'Debut,' even tho there are a half-dozen Björk/Sugarcubes albums I prefer.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Beirut has to be my top “right mood” band. Perfect when I’m in it, irritating when I’m not.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That was a fun read. It's always interesting to me, as someone who likes and listens to a lot of music, just how many of these albums I've never heard. And even a few bands I've never heard of.

BTW, the idea that Murmur is REM's 6th or 7th best album almost invalidates the whole article.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In one of my many planned-to-fail list pursuits, I'm starting this one 1 to 100. I know most of the artists but maybe not at the full album level and (as indicated above) definitely don't know the sequences a lot of the albums came out in. Hendrix seems like a really tough choice to argue at #1. Velvet Underground + Nico is another one I thought was later in the discography; like I thought they emerged and then later fell in with Nico and Warhol.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The article has already inspired me to listen to August and Everything After again, and to ask the friend group if anyone is interested in seeing Counting Crows in August with me here. I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way), but there's a lot on here to like.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am The article has already inspired me to listen to August and Everything After again, and to ask the friend group if anyone is interested in seeing Counting Crows in August with me here. I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way), but there's a lot on here to like.
Ha, I did the same. Used to love that album but haven't listened to it in years. I pulled it up on Spotify. Funny we picked the same one out of 100.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am The article has already inspired me to listen to August and Everything After again, and to ask the friend group if anyone is interested in seeing Counting Crows in August with me here. I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way), but there's a lot on here to like.
Dude, have you seen Counting Crows live before?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way)…
You’re not ready for this sort of thing
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way), but there's a lot on here to like.
Music is such a journey, isn't it? Like, I can see the person I was at various points just by looking at the albums listed here: Beastie Boys, NWA, De La Soul, Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Oasis, The Strokes, Interpol, MGMT, Bon Iver, etc.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:27 am
No. It's definitely a hole in my list.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I pulled that up on a tab earlier in the week and forgot to read it. Thanks!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:30 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:06 am I doubt I'll go 1-100 (or the other way), but there's a lot on here to like.
Music is such a journey, isn't it? Like, I can see the person I was at various points just by looking at the albums listed here: Beastie Boys, NWA, De La Soul, Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, Oasis, The Strokes, Interpol, MGMT, Bon Iver, etc.
So much a journey. It's nuts how uber fan of xxxxx band on this list might turn up their nose at uber fan of yyyyy band on this list, and I might love both xxxxx band and yyyyy band.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:35 am
I would strongly advise against it. It'll leave a hole in any love you had for them.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:37 am So much a journey. It's nuts how uber fan of xxxxx band on this list might turn up their nose at uber fan of yyyyy band on this list, and I might love both xxxxx band and yyyyy band.
I remember when it was fashionable to hate Pearl Jam, or when Counting Crows became a punchline. But great music is great music. Those albums hold up. Just like what you like.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:43 am
I would strongly advise against it. It'll leave a hole in any love you had for them.
Oh no. I mean A&EA (and a few hits after that album) are really all I know of them, so I can see being upset by a set list that doesn't include all of that. Curious what more specifics you have? (I suppose a search of YouTube could yield a similar answer).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

If Dashboard Confessional is opening for that date, please know that they can have a high annoyance level, even if you like them. The singalong nature of a large part of their fanbase and the way Chris Carrabba leans into it can be grating.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:27 amDude, have you seen Counting Crows live before?
The One Where Giff and Mister D Finally Agree on a Present Day Assessment of a 90s Alt-Pop Band (2023)

(I mostly really enjoyed their live shows at their peak but I've seen them once or twice post-peak (but still like ~15 years ago) and its not very good at all.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm
Oh no. I mean A&EA (and a few hits after that album) are really all I know of them, so I can see being upset by a set list that doesn't include all of that. Curious what more specifics you have? (I suppose a search of YouTube could yield a similar answer).
The two times I've seen them Adam will just sing all the words at different times than on the actual songs. Instead of "ROOOOOOOOOOUND HEEEEERE WE ALWAYS STAY UP LATE" it's "roundhere...................wealways.........stayuplate". Almost like Shatner is doing it. Fucking blows and I'll never waste money again.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:27 amDude, have you seen Counting Crows live before?
The One Where Giff and Mister D Finally Agree on a Present Day Assessment of a 90s Alt-Pop Band (2023)

(I mostly really enjoyed their live shows at their peak but I've seen them once or twice post-peak (but still like ~15 years ago) and its not very good at all.)
Hugs?

Yeah, the live album released after the second album was fantastic.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 pm

Really glad I brought up my desire to see them live. You guys just saved me from an overpriced swampy evening outside in Tampa in August. Good looking out, frogs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh my. Just watched a video of them from last May doing Round Here, and the Shatner description couldn't be more accurate. It's kinda Craig Finn-y too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And you know who can't stand that band ...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:53 pm And you know who can't stand that band ...
Yes, harry, Mrs. Potters lullaby was playing that night you should have died!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(I meant Hold Steady. I still have a spot in my heart for the first two Counting Crows albums. Even after learning the dreads were fake and he just showed up with them one day.)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:09 pm
The two times I've seen them Adam will just sing all the words at different times than on the actual songs. Instead of "ROOOOOOOOOOUND HEEEEERE WE ALWAYS STAY UP LATE" it's "roundhere...................wealways.........stayuplate". Almost like Shatner is doing it. Fucking blows and I'll never waste money again.
Hahaha perfect description. Bohemian slam poetry

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm The two times I've seen them Adam will just sing all the words at different times than on the actual songs. Instead of "ROOOOOOOOOOUND HEEEEERE WE ALWAYS STAY UP LATE" it's "roundhere...................wealways.........stayuplate". Almost like Shatner is doing it. Fucking blows and I'll never waste money again.
I know that it must get tiresome to play the same songs for years and years. But, you know, your fans are paying you a lot of money to watch/listen. It's your job to not half-ass it.

I like what Bob Dylan did. He completely reworked a lot of his old songs so he wouldn't get bored with them. When I saw him, he would be halfway thru a song before I would recognize a line and realize, 'Oh, that's what this is.'
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:31 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm The two times I've seen them Adam will just sing all the words at different times than on the actual songs. Instead of "ROOOOOOOOOOUND HEEEEERE WE ALWAYS STAY UP LATE" it's "roundhere...................wealways.........stayuplate". Almost like Shatner is doing it. Fucking blows and I'll never waste money again.
I know that it must get tiresome to play the same songs for years and years. But, you know, your fans are paying you a lot of money to watch/listen. It's your job to not half-ass it.
I had that thought after seeing Springsteen a month or so ago...how many times do you think he's played "Born To Run"? And he still manages to crank it up to that "chills" level...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The dreads aren't real?

That's hilarious.
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Teams I HOPE Win the NBA Draft Lottery Tonight, Ranked

1. Portland
2. OKC
3. San Antonio
4. Washington
5. New Orleans
6. Chicago
7. Houston
8. Indiana
9. Toronto
10. Utah
11. Dallas
12. Orlando
13. Charlotte
14. Detroit

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Whoever gets Wemby will probably just trade him to the Eagles for a fourth rounder
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll be happy with #1 or #2. That said, I'm pretty stoked about the direction either way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:14 pm Mascots/nicknames of the Union County (NJ) high schools that are competting in the 2022 County Conference Spring Track and Field Championships, ranked from most to least problematic:

1. Indians - the logo includes a feather but no human representation, so there are many schools, including in NJ, that are much worse as far as that goes, but still no good
2. Crusaders - at least this is a public school and not a Catholic school?
3. Blue Devils - before you accuse me of being unfair this town is definitely the Duke of Union County
4. Vikings
6. Raiders - I was going to have these two tie, but the Vikings are a Catholic school and Vikings weren't Christian much less Catholic so there's the tie-breaker
7. Royals - down with the monarchy
8. Pioneers - if I was being too woke they would have appeared earlier on the list
9. Comets - knocking them down farther than they would otherwise be because they're one of those schools who adds a "Lady" in front of the mascot/nickname for the female competitors. Weak.
10. Minutemen - warlike, but the county seal has a Red Coat shooting a woman in the back on it and we were a hotbed of Revolutionary War battles so we'll put them in the middle
11. Dragons - not real, and reminded me of the final couple of episodes of GoT
12. Highlanders - It's Scottish, so it's not crap
13. Cardinals - they flat out stole the logo from Arizona (NFL) (who stole it from St Louis?)
14. Panthers - they flat out stole the logo from Carolina (NFL) but at least they changed the accent color to red from blue
15. Lions
16. Tigers
17. Bears - oh my!
18. Cougars - about as common as you would expect at track meets made up of HS from a lot of very rich towns
19. Rams (ETA: there are two Rams, I missed a school when I originally wrote this up because I lost track of Roselle, Roselle Park and Roselle Catholic)
20. Hilltoppers (a goat) - Another set of similar options but (A) Hilltoppers sounds cooler and (B) is from a public school while Rams is from a $30K+ a year private school and (C) is boys only so the Rams thing seems like they're rubbing your nose in it a bit
21. Bulldogs- who hates bulldogs?
22. Farmers - they feed the world!
School is out but club meets are still going on and there isn’t a whole ranking here but we’re at the stadium complex for New Brunswick (NJ) HS and their mascot is a/the zebra, complete with a cool zebra logo at the 50 yard line.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don’t know whether New Brunswick High is a turf field, but if they are, zebra pattern the end zones or GTFO.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It is turf and they’re not. I’ll get a pic of the midfield logo at some point