Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:17 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm Son of wlu got into.the Harvard Pre-college program. It is really prestigious and competitive or just a money maker for the Crimson based on my research.

Kid.is very excited for international politics and the courses are taught by Kennedy School profs so should be a good experience.
Sounds super cool. Does it have college credit associated?
Unfortunately no. It is graded more on a pass/fail, but my understanding kids who do well commonly get letters of recommendation that hold weight during admissions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sounds like an awesome experience.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 am sounds like an awesome experience.
Yeah, I’m jealous. I’d love to take an international politics course at the Kennedy School.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

My son is home after 3 months in Italy.

Have the feeling that he is on the fast track to digital nomad status, and I couldn't be prouder.
Canadian International
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:46 pm Son of wlu got into.the Harvard Pre-college program. It is really prestigious and competitive or just a money maker for the Crimson based on my research.

Kid.is very excited for international politics and the courses are taught by Kennedy School profs so should be a good experience.
Mazel tov. Lots of nachos.

ETA-that is supposed to be naches which is a Yiddish term for pride. But it is in a wlu-related thread, so why change it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:21 pm My son is home after 3 months in Italy.

Have the feeling that he is on the fast track to digital nomad status, and I couldn't be prouder.
Awesome! Can he teach me?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:05 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:21 pm My son is home after 3 months in Italy.

Italian?

Rudimentary at best I'm afraid. I had fantasies of him coming home as a gourmet Italian chef. Sadly, the small grocery store in his village had many pre-cooked meals.
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:42 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:05 pm

Italian?

Rudimentary at best I'm afraid. I had fantasies of him coming home as a gourmet Italian chef. Sadly, the small grocery store in his village had many pre-cooked meals.
Allora!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice job to both the chillens.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

First, and likely only, college trip with the oldest yesterday. Embry Riddle in Daytona. You can probably see the campus from the TV presentation of the 500. The stands of the speedway look out to DAB airport and just behind that is the ERAU campus. Apparently DAB is one of the busiest airports within some geographic description (state, southeast, US? I forget). It sure seemed like it. Damn near every minute or two there was a plane taking off. Sounds like there are three other (non-university) flight schools out of DAB as well.

Kid has had his heart set on being a pilot for a while now.

It's a nice campus and I've never seen more skateboards. Nearly every doorway had hundreds of skateboards in racks and just propped up against the building.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My oldest had her first dance competition last night and she, along with the rest of the girls, rocked it and received the Platinum award. When she didn’t make the competition team at her previous studio, I couldn’t get over her reaction. She wasn’t upset, just determined to keep going and ended up making a team at another studio. I hadn’t seen her drastic improvement until last night and it overwhelmed me. I was so nervous about her going to junior high because her 5th grade experience was not ideal from a learning perspective, but she is just killing it. She’s got all As in KAP classes, snagged a role in the school play, and thriving at her passion. So damn proud.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good work, Giffette!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That’s awesome, Giff!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ok!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Gotta love it!
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:38 am First, and likely only, college trip with the oldest yesterday. Embry Riddle in Daytona. You can probably see the campus from the TV presentation of the 500. The stands of the speedway look out to DAB airport and just behind that is the ERAU campus. Apparently DAB is one of the busiest airports within some geographic description (state, southeast, US? I forget). It sure seemed like it. Damn near every minute or two there was a plane taking off. Sounds like there are three other (non-university) flight schools out of DAB as well.

Kid has had his heart set on being a pilot for a while now.

It's a nice campus and I've never seen more skateboards. Nearly every doorway had hundreds of skateboards in racks and just propped up against the building.
That's really cool!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I love this thread. Happy your daughter is finding her way, Giff. And Cheds, it’s nice to hear your son has a plan.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a very complicated relationship with my father. He was a pilot (retired) and I'm pretty sure if our shit didn't go sideways, I'd have gone down that path (I am very into planes, played Flight Simulator obsessively in the 80s, etc etc).

So, I'm kind of jealous of your kid Ched. :-) Good for him, man.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Not my kids, but kids of friends and my son's friends. Our high school hockey team took to the Prudential Center (NJ Devil's arena) to defend their state championship. Game went into quadruple OT, and our boys pulled it out. Felt bad my son didn't get to go to the game. Started at 10:00 and they were only able to get one bus. Apparently the game was televised live and a bunch of teachers showed the game in school. My daughter even got to watch during one class in the middle school. Kind of crazy, because we are not a hockey town by any means.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Congrats Ched and Giff!

My sister got into Embry Riddle (always wanted to be a pilot) instead home because she started dating a junior guy late in her senior year. She started college but never finished, working dead-end jobs and tried to rip my 89-year-old mother off when she got expensive dental work.

Syb I went to HS in Lake Placid for the first two years then went to a shit HS in Vermont to grad. Lake Placid went to the hockey finals the year after I left losing to some HS from LI that had 4 times the enrollment. Great accomplishment!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am not sure where these rankings come from but my son's crew team is pre-season 5th in the nation. My son is currently on the 1V boat (top varsity boat but the team is very competitive and kids have moved up and down between 1, 2, and 3). The rankings are a bit sketchy as Jackson-Reed was way faster at an indoor event in February. Gonzaga is usually faster than the public schools.

Boys Varsity Eight, Top 40 Nationally, Pre-Season Ranked: 1. St. Joe's Prep; 2. Montclair; 3. Dallas Jesuit; 4. New Trier; 5. McLean; 6. Gonzaga; 7. Whitman; 8. Saint Albans; 9. Brunswick; 10. Cleveland St. Ignatius; 11. Jackson-Reed; 12. Bethesda-Chevy Chase; 13. Phillips Exeter; 14. Kent; 15. Belen Jesuit; 16. Deerfield Academy; 17. Pittsburgh Central Catholic; 18. Canisius (NY); 19. Salisbury; 20. Riverside (VA); 21. Alexandria City; 22. Lawrenceville; 23. Northville (MI); 24. Phillips Andover; 25. DeMatha; 26. St. Paul's; 27. Washington-Liberty; 28. Yorktown; 29. Hanover; 30. Lake Braddock; 31. Robinson; 32. Fairfield Prep; 33. Forest Hills Northern; 34. South County; 35. Langley; 36. Groton; 37. West Springfield; 38. Duxbury; 39. Madison; 40. Boston Latin
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Harper made the 7th grade cheerleading squad for next year and they had their first pep rally today. She did amazing! I never would have thought that's the path she would go on, but she absolutely loves it. Going to be fun watching her at football games next year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fun with they have something that they love and are good at.

Getting locked in at the oldest’s HS for a Relay for Life event as a chaperone. She’s a volunteer helping run it and her group of friends here is great (and one of the events is a NCAA watch party for the Princeton game) so other than being tired should be a fun night. Third year in a row she’s raised over $500 baking and selling Irish soda breads.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm Fun with they have something that they love and are good at.

Getting locked in at the oldest’s HS for a Relay for Life event as a chaperone. She’s a volunteer helping run it and her group of friends here is great (and one of the events is a NCAA watch party for the Princeton game) so other than being tired should be a fun night. Third year in a row she’s raised over $500 baking and selling Irish soda breads.
That reminds me, I never got mine last year!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sound like fun times, Giff and Rass!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m just saying… hang out with me and good things happen in the next 24 months. Think about it. Exclude sabo. He doesn’t even count as a swampup at this point. Mulligan too.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shoulda brought personal noise delivery to ears devices.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 pm I’m just saying… hang out with me and good things happen in the next 24 months. Think about it. Exclude sabo. He doesn’t even count as a swampup at this point. Mulligan too.
Ouch?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:08 pm I’m just saying… hang out with me and good things happen in the next 24 months. Think about it. Exclude sabo. He doesn’t even count as a swampup at this point. Mulligan too.
Hanging out with me can get your long-suffering NFL team to the Super Bowl. Bengal will confirm.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:23 am
Ouch?
Exact opposite
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:33 am
Hanging out with me can get your long-suffering NFL team to the Super Bowl. Bengal will confirm.
That's some bullshit right there.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:50 am
I've been at a Super Bowl your "long-suffering" team won. It ain't that long-suffering.

It also doubled as a game my long-suffering team was in. They deserve even longer suffering.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:14 pm
duff wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:50 am
I've been at a Super Bowl your "long-suffering" team won. It ain't that long-suffering.

It also doubled as a game my long-suffering team was in. They deserve even longer suffering.
Ha! Got you. I don't give a shit about the NFL anymore.

But that Comes win over the Bears was sweet.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yesterday, my older daughter sent me a zoom link for a "Story Slam" (like a poetry slam, but reading a short story) that she was presenting at. I didn't know at all what to expect, but sat down last night to watch.

And her story turned out to be all about me, and her, and our relationship over the years, and how I did my best to instill the love of being active and outdoors to both her and her sister. And, how I tried to make sure they understand the whole "food is love" ethos, making sure we always sat down and ate meals together, and that I did my best to make good food for them. And then how that all related to her eating disorders, and how's she learned to manage that (she's doing so much better with it all now).

And...gotta be honest...made me feel conflicted. Like on one hand it made me sound like the best parent in the world (he took us hiking! skiing! sailing! cycling! and made us lasagna! and tacos!)...and on the other, like NOT the best parent in the world (he made us go hiking! skiing! sailing! cycling! and made us lasagna! and tacos!).

But it was pretty amazing to hear her talk about all of this so openly and honestly, and that she wanted to make sure I was included. And, I took note that she did not talk at all about her mother (my GF got mentioned a few times) and that her mom was not present at the Zoom call.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like you have a deep relationship with your daughter, Dave. That’s awesome!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wouldn't feel conflicted; if I'm seeing something similar in 15 years I'll feel like I did a pretty great job.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm Yesterday, my older daughter sent me a zoom link for a "Story Slam" (like a poetry slam, but reading a short story) that she was presenting at. I didn't know at all what to expect, but sat down last night to watch.

And her story turned out to be all about me, and her, and our relationship over the years, and how I did my best to instill the love of being active and outdoors to both her and her sister. And, how I tried to make sure they understand the whole "food is love" ethos, making sure we always sat down and ate meals together, and that I did my best to make good food for them. And then how that all related to her eating disorders, and how's she learned to manage that (she's doing so much better with it all now).

And...gotta be honest...made me feel conflicted. Like on one hand it made me sound like the best parent in the world (he took us hiking! skiing! sailing! cycling! and made us lasagna! and tacos!)...and on the other, like NOT the best parent in the world (he made us go hiking! skiing! sailing! cycling! and made us lasagna! and tacos!).

But it was pretty amazing to hear her talk about all of this so openly and honestly, and that she wanted to make sure I was included. And, I took note that she did not talk at all about her mother (my GF got mentioned a few times) and that her mom was not present at the Zoom call.
Didn't your wife try to start WWIII over you making tacos? I think you can safely blame your wife for any and all psychological issues your kids may face. It's great that she wanted to share her story with you.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:38 pm I wouldn't feel conflicted; if I'm seeing something similar in 15 years I'll feel like I did a pretty great job.
I echo this.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's great, Dave.