Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:31 pm It depends. Is human flesh kosher?
They are 100% Jewish, but not Bar/Bat Mitzvah’d. I’m going to have to consult a rabbi on this one.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:28 pm That weird nose, throat, & tonsil thing I'm dealing with? I think I'm allergic to oat milk.

When I had coffee the last few times at home I had it with oat milk and sugar. I had that weird feeling immediately after. Then I had a Starbucks latte a few days ago and nothing. Then I drank it black. Nothing. But after I had a small glass of only oat milk tingles and swollenness. Nothing to get an epi-pen for, but enough to be like "Oh, this feels bad."

Like, how the hell do I just suddenly get an allergy like this?
Circling back to this, (that's that civilian corporate lingo, right?) I took the allergy test and got all the pinpricks on my back. The result looked ugly. And hey hey, still allergic to almost all of the things - trees, grasses, weeds, but not molds.

I also had them do tests for pepper, garlic, coffee, and oat. Got a NO on the pepper and oat (surprising), but a YES on garlic and coffee. Not that I need an epi-pen (even though they gave me one) for those 2, but I stayed away from those items for several weeks and then added them back afterward. I switched to tea in the meantime to substitute for coffee. Tangentially, I realized that caffeine was my longtime "sweats profusely" problem and not hyperhidrosis. And when I had coffee again my nose tingled a little. So...no more coffee all the time for this guy.

I also started the once a week allergy shot plan. We'll see where this goes. I did it in ABQ while still enlisted and eventually quit it because they epi-penned me when a dosage made me react badly even after I had passed the standard 30 minute observation period. Fun fun.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:50 pm

Circling back to this, (that's that civilian corporate lingo, right?)
I don't have the bandwidth right now to answer this. Good luck, I don't know if life without coffee is worth living.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just found out my nephew attempted suicide but thankfully did not succeed. Jesus.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. Sorry, Giff. That’s rough.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry Giff. At least the last part is better news than it could have been.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks y’all. I’m really shook.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Damn. How old is he?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is horrible. So sorry
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He’s 27. In the Navy with a relatively newborn. The mom and baby were here in Houston and he’s stationed in San Diego. I’m going to not use the language I want to when describing her, but she’s the one who called a welfare check on him last Tuesday. However, she did not tell my brother/sister-in-law who just found out today, and per IG she’s been out partying since then.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fuck. I'm sorry, man.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Oh God, man. I’m so sorry to hear this. I hope he gets the help he needs.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Oh god, Giff. That’s so hard.

I’m glad it turned out as it did, and hope he can get the right help going forward.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hoping for the best, Giff.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So sad. Sorry to hear Giff. I hope he gets the help he needs.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm so sorry to hear that, Giff. Hopefully he can get the support he needs.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks guys. My brother, sister-in-law, and other nephew are flying out there this morning. I hope this was just a cry for help.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Oh man...that's awful. I hope he gets the help he needs.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

:( oy Giff I'm so sorry for you and the whole family.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Wow Giff. I hope he gets the support he needs and finds a way through this. The whole family too, navigating that can't be easy.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:50 pm I also started the once a week allergy shot plan. We'll see where this goes. I did it in ABQ while still enlisted and eventually quit it because they epi-penned me when a dosage made me react badly even after I had passed the standard 30 minute observation period. Fun fun.
My wife did the shots (really allergic to several thinks, but trees and grass primarily) twice a week, for a while in Phoenix and started them again in Colorado, a couple of years ago. She was making some progress. But one day she got her shots, waited, drove home. As she came in the house she said she wasn't feeling great. I was luckily there to catch her as she passed out. So she got a trip to the hospital for a few hours for heart tests, etc.

Everything turned out ok, but her allergist said this was likely due to "anxiety" around getting a shot. Which is bullshit. I suspect they gave a higher dose than they were supposed to (she was getting shots in both arms, I'd bet they gave her a full dose in both arms instead of a half dose in each). Just glad we live near the allergist so she didn't pass out while driving.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I admit that I'm firmly embedded in the liberal bubble here in the PNW....but I don't get what made the usual slack-jawed yokels so mad at Bud Light. Because they are doing LGBTQ branding/ads? Every brand does that now. And that's enough to make Kid Rock shoot up a case of Bud Light with a machine gun?

Huh?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB InBev has been a title sponsor of Saint Louis’ Gay Pride parade for like the last 7 or so years. But I guess a rainbow colored can was a bridge too far for these snowflakes.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:28 pm I admit that I'm firmly embedded in the liberal bubble here in the PNW....but I don't get what made the usual slack-jawed yokels so mad at Bud Light. Because they are doing LGBTQ branding/ads? Every brand does that now. And that's enough to make Kid Rock shoot up a case of Bud Light with a machine gun?

Huh?
And how many years since the Pulse nightclub shooting? Fuck that guy.
Canadian International
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I just finished rewatching all of Cheers and probably because I was Swamping while watching I was wondering how many of the characters would be MAGA voters. Cliff Clavin is the obvious one; he'd be a hat wearing never shut up about it Q-Anon believer. The anti-Cliff sentiment in the bar could make them go against MAGA, but most of them lean in the MAGA direction. I could see Carla especially going with anti-Cliff vote, but she would also be attracted to Trump being a jerk and she's a classic, I raised 8 kids with no help (ignoring the help she probably did get), so why should these people get help. Norm Peterson and Coach are the classic doesn't pay attention to the news at all and just hears enough of the noise that Hillary is corrupt so they vote for Trump, but then maybe switch to Biden because they mean well and maybe hear enough of the negative stuff about Trump during his presidency and change their minds. Sam identifies with the womanizing, fake macho crap -- hell, he even befriends Henri despite him trying to steal Woody's girlfriend. Woody is a classic vote how ever my crazy religious leader tells me to vote, so definetely MAGA. Rebecca is a money chaser who would meet Trump at a rally and think she would be his next wife. At first, I put Frasier and Lilith as dependable blue voters, but Frasier developed an anti-intelectual women rage because of Diane and Lilith and I could see him grouping Hillary with those two and secretly delighting in Trump's misogyny. So Diane and Lilith are the only two I'm 100% sure would not be MAGA voters.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:02 am I just finished rewatching all of Cheers and probably because I was Swamping while watching I was wondering how many of the characters would be MAGA voters. Cliff Clavin is the obvious one; he'd be a hat wearing never shut up about it Q-Anon believer. The anti-Cliff sentiment in the bar could make them go against MAGA, but most of them lean in the MAGA direction. I could see Carla especially going with anti-Cliff vote, but she would also be attracted to Trump being a jerk and she's a classic, I raised 8 kids with no help (ignoring the help she probably did get), so why should these people get help. Norm Peterson and Coach are the classic doesn't pay attention to the news at all and just hears enough of the noise that Hillary is corrupt so they vote for Trump, but then maybe switch to Biden because they mean well and maybe hear enough of the negative stuff about Trump during his presidency and change their minds. Sam identifies with the womanizing, fake macho crap -- hell, he even befriends Henri despite him trying to steal Woody's girlfriend. Woody is a classic vote how ever my crazy religious leader tells me to vote, so definetely MAGA. Rebecca is a money chaser who would meet Trump at a rally and think she would be his next wife. At first, I put Frasier and Lilith as dependable blue voters, but Frasier developed an anti-intelectual women rage because of Diane and Lilith and I could see him grouping Hillary with those two and secretly delighting in Trump's misogyny. So Diane and Lilith are the only two I'm 100% sure would not be MAGA voters.
So would Gary's be the liberal bar? Probably not.
If they were maga would they have the Kevin McHale relationship?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:45 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:02 am I just finished rewatching all of Cheers and probably because I was Swamping while watching I was wondering how many of the characters would be MAGA voters. Cliff Clavin is the obvious one; he'd be a hat wearing never shut up about it Q-Anon believer. The anti-Cliff sentiment in the bar could make them go against MAGA, but most of them lean in the MAGA direction. I could see Carla especially going with anti-Cliff vote, but she would also be attracted to Trump being a jerk and she's a classic, I raised 8 kids with no help (ignoring the help she probably did get), so why should these people get help. Norm Peterson and Coach are the classic doesn't pay attention to the news at all and just hears enough of the noise that Hillary is corrupt so they vote for Trump, but then maybe switch to Biden because they mean well and maybe hear enough of the negative stuff about Trump during his presidency and change their minds. Sam identifies with the womanizing, fake macho crap -- hell, he even befriends Henri despite him trying to steal Woody's girlfriend. Woody is a classic vote how ever my crazy religious leader tells me to vote, so definetely MAGA. Rebecca is a money chaser who would meet Trump at a rally and think she would be his next wife. At first, I put Frasier and Lilith as dependable blue voters, but Frasier developed an anti-intelectual women rage because of Diane and Lilith and I could see him grouping Hillary with those two and secretly delighting in Trump's misogyny. So Diane and Lilith are the only two I'm 100% sure would not be MAGA voters.
So would Gary's be the liberal bar? Probably not.
If they were maga would they have the Kevin McHale relationship?
Gary is smarter but also an opportunist, so I'm guessing he votes for Trump for the tax breaks but doesn't tell anyone so he doesn't piss off his customers who mostly lean left.

Please don't make me examine which of the 86 Celtics were MAGA.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

This is an amazing breakdown which I literally laughed out loud halfway through yet by the end it made me sad.

Nice job Romero. jeez.

;)
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I always figured that the Brady Bunch would have been hardcore Reagan fans
Canadian International
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Now you have me wondering are there any TV shows/families where the main cast would not be all aligned politically?

Threes company because of Mr. Roper?
Clearly the Alex P Keaton versus everyone else is a bit too easy because it was baked into the core of the show.
Fresh Prince? The Bel Air $ could go republican but everything else in that show pointed to democratic values.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There would absolutely be a split. Carlton and Hilary would be republican, Viv, Will and Ashley would all be democrat. Phil is a tossup but I'd lean dem. Geoffrey would vote Bernie.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Extending to Frasier...Martin (Frasier's father) would be the classic union/blue-collar Dem voter, who would vote the local Dems, but split his ballot to vote for Trump for the entertainment value. Roz would be a reliable Dem vote. Niles would probably have an NPR totebag somewhere, but secretly vote Trump because he wants the tax cuts for the rich.

And Daphne...hardcore Labour party.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:25 pm There would absolutely be a split. Carlton and Hilary would be republican, Viv, Will and Ashley would all be democrat. Phil is a tossup but I'd lean dem. Geoffrey would vote Bernie.
Uncle Phil is a Clinton Dem at best.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:03 pm He’s 27. In the Navy with a relatively newborn. The mom and baby were here in Houston and he’s stationed in San Diego. I’m going to not use the language I want to when describing her, but she’s the one who called a welfare check on him last Tuesday. However, she did not tell my brother/sister-in-law who just found out today, and per IG she’s been out partying since then.
Goddamn that’s terrible all-around. Glad he’s got family on the way.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:27 pm
Extending to Frasier...Martin (Frasier's father) would be the classic union/blue-collar Dem voter, who would vote the local Dems, but split his ballot to vote for Trump for the entertainment value. Roz would be a reliable Dem vote. Niles would probably have an NPR totebag somewhere, but secretly vote Trump because he wants the tax cuts for the rich.

Martin was a cop and a surly old man, that screams GOP to me.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:10 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:27 pm

Martin was a cop and a surly old man, that screams GOP to me.
Yeah, but he was a cop/union guy in Seattle back when Seattle was a blue-collar industrial town (Boeing, fishing industry).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:24 pm

Yeah, but he was a cop/union guy in Seattle back when Seattle was a blue-collar industrial town (Boeing, fishing industry).
Seattle is your last name, so I'll defer to your expertise on this one.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I have a friend who is more personally conservative than just about any Swamper, but he always votes Democrat because he is a big union guy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:24 pmYeah, but he was a cop/union guy in Seattle back when Seattle was a blue-collar industrial town (Boeing, fishing industry).
Police union is not a traditional union. Republican.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Actually if you talk to cops they aren't really in a union because unions are bad but they aren't bad so they aren't a union atleast not a union like you're thinking of.