College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by mister d »

I think the famous Harvard shop closed before we moved there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid loved Brown.

Grabbed dinner at a place called the Tip Tap House and it wa pretty good. Walked past Anna’s on the way to JP Licks (got fruity pebble cereal milk). Flour is right next door to the hotel. I will get some runs in but have a 9am tour tomorrow at BU.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:48 am
EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:27 am If you're staying in Beacon Hill, you can do a ton of walking with the great weather. You can get to the North End and Rose Kennedy Greenway easily. Unfortunately the beer gardens probably aren't set up yet. Also walking down Newbury and back on Boylston which they're getting ready for the Marathon, then through Boston Common is a nice walk. If you want to run, cross the river and try out the Harvard Stadium stairs and running along the Charles is great.
I second this. Running along the Charles is fantastic.
Thanks for this guys. I don’t know that I would have headed that direction without you mentioning this.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

World’s nicest station attendant at the Charles/MGH station. The kind of old guy with a weird accent that so charms my wife when we’re in Ireland.

Parm/chive scone at Flour was alright, coffee was actually pretty great and I wish I had gotten a large. I need more.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wish we'd talked order ahead of time. Flour is best if you go sweet or with a sandwich, the savory leaning pastries are just fine.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:22 am
EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:27 am If you're staying in Beacon Hill, you can do a ton of walking with the great weather. You can get to the North End and Rose Kennedy Greenway easily. Unfortunately the beer gardens probably aren't set up yet. Also walking down Newbury and back on Boylston which they're getting ready for the Marathon, then through Boston Common is a nice walk. If you want to run, cross the river and try out the Harvard Stadium stairs and running along the Charles is great.
Thanks for this guys. I don’t know that I would have headed that direction without you mentioning this.
Great to hear. Your timing couldn't have been better with the weather and runners in such a positive mood for the upcoming marathon. Now about those Harvard stairs: https://november-project.com/stadium/
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:32 pm
rass wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:22 am
Great to hear. Your timing couldn't have been better with the weather and runners in such a positive mood for the upcoming marathon. Now about those Harvard stairs: https://november-project.com/stadium/
Kid says she’s willing to slow her pace and run with me tomorrow in order to run Boston so I think maybe? She did 11 or 12 sets up Garden St by the hotel this afternoon. Pretty steep.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:10 am
Good for you. How was it? Probably belongs on the get fir thread, but I've been wanting to do that for awhile, but I keep coming up with really good excuses. Some day.

Now just run up and down heartbreak hill after you visit BC
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Fuck Chestnut Hill!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It’ll warm AB’s coal heart to know that she doesn’t have any interest in seeing BC at this point. She loved BU, though I think it’s a notch below Brown. She wasn’t expecting to like Brown so much and hadn’t ever pursued a conversation with the track coaches beyond one email.

Going to do a tourist-y day today, Freedom Trail and Quincy Market type stuff, and then Northeastern tour and meeting with a track coach tomorrow morning before we head home (hopefully in time to pick up the dog).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If you go to the Pizzeria Regina at Quincy Market and tell them you "Ran the Chuck", you get a free medium pie.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 am It’ll warm AB’s coal heart to know that she doesn’t have any interest in seeing BC at this point. She loved BU, though I think it’s a notch below Brown. She wasn’t expecting to like Brown so much and hadn’t ever pursued a conversation with the track coaches beyond one email.

Going to do a tourist-y day today, Freedom Trail and Quincy Market type stuff, and then Northeastern tour and meeting with a track coach tomorrow morning before we head home (hopefully in time to pick up the dog).
My boy started his journey at Northeastern. It wasn't for him, but man... We sure loved that campus and the theory that drives the entire university -- working full-time for at least one semester and a heavy emphasis on studying abroad one semester.

Looking back, I think I was more enamored with the whole thing than my son.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yikes don't let your son find out.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Took the oldest to Columbia College of Chicago last Friday. She loved it. Looking at going in to Game Development/Design with a possible minor in Graphic Design/some sort of writing. One of the professors in the IAM department talked to the group and had my daughter and another girl that was interested speak with a group of students that were working on their game project. The guy worked at Sony and helped develop both the PS1 and PS2 and worked heavily on Crash Bandicoot.

They sell themselves as a Liber Arts Technical School. Very nice place. Hoping for some good financial aid.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:50 am Yikes don't let your son find out.
I mean, he's off getting his degree in Brewery Science in Denver, so he's doing just fine. I could put this in the proud parental thread, but he also just landed a part time gig at Whole Foods in their Wine, Beer, Chocolate and Cheese department this week.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I commuted past Columbia college every day for a long while. Loved the area. Program sounds cool. I also had a coop student from northeastern at the firm. She wasnt so good tbh
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

street campus lowlife. pfft.

(i kid i kid!) :lol:
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:31 amFuck Chestnut Hill!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid absolutely loved U Penn and didn’t like La Salle.

Penn might have been my favorite campus so far, though they didn’t take us inside of a single building other than the admissions center.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:32 pm Kid absolutely loved U Penn and didn’t like La Salle.

Penn might have been my favorite campus so far, though they didn’t take us inside of a single building other than the admissions center.
That’s great. Captain Obvious here, but Penn is very prestigious, too, eh?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:50 pm
rass wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:32 pm Kid absolutely loved U Penn and didn’t like La Salle.

That’s great. Captain Obvious here, but Penn is very prestigious, too, eh?
Definitely, maybe you haven’t heard of it but Penn is part of something we here on the east coast call the “Ivy League”.

(sorry)

At least she’s well aware that Brown and Penn are very competitive and very expensive schools.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The biggest problem with La Salle is you have to get there. It takes a specific type of kid (and parent(s)) to go along.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(To be clear, and I think I’ve said this, present state I wouldn’t have either of my kids going there. Maybe the youngest if either because it fits her vibe, but a kid with a lot of options like yours will find better.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Tour was a tough sell, 10AM on a Saturday when school is out and the campus is all but empty. Only 5 kids on the tour (4 families, one set of siblings).

Just smaller than what she wants and in Philly but not IN Philly.

We have Cornell the first weekend in July and going back out to Pitt in august. That might be it for the summer?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Cornell is the correct answer. My alltime favorite campus.

We visited Binghamton University today as an excuse to visit my parents. I really like the campus, would have gone to school there if it wasn’t less than two miles from my house. As expected, the boy walked out with no options and no observations.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:30 pm Cornell is the correct answer. My alltime favorite campus.

We visited Binghamton University today as an excuse to visit my parents. I really like the campus, would have gone to school there if it wasn’t less than two miles from my house. As expected, the boy walked out with no options and no observations.
Freshman boys and girls come in with skinny legs. By their sophomore year their calves are rock solid.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My son is starting at Penn in a couple of months for a one-year post-bacc program in Latin. He's hoping he can turn that into a full PhD program there in Ancient History (to get into those programs you have to have fluency in Latin or Ancient Greek - often times both). We haven't actually visited the campus yet though. Heard it's on the border of some sketchiness.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Penn is a great example of relative safety. For Philadelphia, it’s a very safe area. Compared to a suburb, not so much.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Son got his first set of recruiting emails for rowing. But his target schools but nice to see.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So Cornel is just the platonic ideal of a college campus, huh?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:49 pm So Cornel is just the platonic ideal of a college campus, huh?
I think so. As long as you don’t mind hills.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I see someone arrived when there was zero traffic.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Son finished a week.of international politics at G-town. He had done a tour and likes the idea of the school of foreign service but found the school.ugly and uncomfortable.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:35 pm I see someone arrived when there was zero traffic.
The tour emails did say parking was difficult on weekdays. But Saturdays aren’t weekdays, summer Saturdays maybe even more so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:38 pm Son finished a week.of international politics at G-town. He had done a tour and likes the idea of the school of foreign service but found the school.ugly and uncomfortable.
Hey, I got married on that campus!

(The Dahlgren Chapel and its courtyard are very quaint.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:27 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:35 pm I see someone arrived when there was zero traffic.
The tour emails did say parking was difficult on weekdays. But Saturdays aren’t weekdays, summer Saturdays maybe even more so.
Our eldest went to Girl Scout camp outside Ithaca for a few years. Not sure what way you came into town, but I think once in many trips there did we not have to sit in at least a quarter-mile backup at a light in the downtown area.

Also, if she does go there, good luck with a local hotel reservation for graduation weekend. They book up years in advance.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The son of our good friends is going to be a freshman at Ithaca this September. I’ll tell them about the hotel situation.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:33 am The son of our good friends is going to be a freshman at Ithaca this September. I’ll tell them about the hotel situation.
Nobody goes to Ithaca College graduation.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:19 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:33 am The son of our good friends is going to be a freshman at Ithaca this September. I’ll tell them about the hotel situation.
Nobody goes to Ithaca College graduation.
Said the Buffalo grad?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So putting together a college road trip with the boy....
Start after his two weeks at Harvard for an International Relations in Cambridge. That ends Friday. Figure we will cruise to Providence for the weekend and check out Brown (sadly no weekend tours). We have a scheduled tour at Yale that following Monday and tour at Princeton on Tuesday (and a stop at Hoagie Haven) and maybe stop at Haverford or other smaller schools in the PA area.