The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by A_B »

That doesn't seem absurd to me. The fees blow of course, but I don't think I'd blink at that price.

Now, the Stevie Nickes/Billy Joel stops? I blinked. A lot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This isn’t an intimate evening with The Cure at some club. This is a 20,000 seat venue. And they’re lawn seats.

Hard pass on these jacked up, geriatric (see ‘em before they die) prices.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Turns out - that $101 per ticket was flex pricing. When I went back, they were up to $137 a ticket - and these were not aftermarket tickets.

So two lawn seats with taxes and fees is about $350.

:lol:

TicketMaster really is the worst. End stage capitalism.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

He already guilted Ticketmaster into reducing some fees.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got Peter Gabriel tix for October a week ago. I was surprised when they were only $80 each.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am Turns out - that $101 per ticket was flex pricing. When I went back, they were up to $137 a ticket - and these were not aftermarket tickets.

As bad as end-stage capitalism is bad, Ticketmaster-Live Nations monopoly power is a force-multiplier of fucking over consumers.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:15 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 am Turns out - that $101 per ticket was flex pricing. When I went back, they were up to $137 a ticket - and these were not aftermarket tickets.

As bad as end-stage capitalism is bad, Ticketmaster-Live Nations monopoly power is a force-multiplier of fucking over consumers.
They were horrific back in the 80's when trying to get Dead tickets...they've only got way worse over the years. We thought about trying to get Janet Jackson tix...until we saw the cost, and decided that nostalgia wasn't worth that much.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The fees for Ticketmaster, etc. for a show are unbelievable. I can’t think of any other service that costs so much for so little provided.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 am
Giff wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:42 pm NKOTB on Tuesday!

(not really that excited but it's a work trip to the rodeo, so actually should be fun)
Not really sure I would have booked NKOTB for a rodeo. Figure there are other acts that may fit that better....Denim wearing folks not matching white suits.
You know who has money now? the kids that couldn't go see them when they were popular. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
There was a cougar to male ratio of about 10:1. Hands down the best looking rodeo show I’ve ever been to!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I found out some more information about it. The only time to buy tickets that are priced in reality was during the pre-sale. The public on-sale is where TM floods the market with second-hand tickets, but also matches those prices by doubling the prices of their own remaining tickets. And then when those numbers dwindle, they ‘flex price’ the remaining few even further.

So I blame myself for missing the pre-sale, but yeah, there’s something post apocalyptic about all this. It’s amazing how we’ve allowed this to happen to the entertainment industry.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:43 am So I found out some more information about it. The only time to buy tickets that are priced in reality was during the pre-sale. The public on-sale is where TM floods the market with second-hand tickets, but also matches those prices by doubling the prices of their own remaining tickets. And then when those numbers dwindle, they ‘flex price’ the remaining few even further.

So I blame myself for missing the pre-sale, but yeah, there’s something post apocalyptic about all this. It’s amazing how we’ve allowed this to happen to the entertainment industry.
Yeah, episode six of the Last of Us: Ellie vs. Ticketmaster, was intense.

I KEED!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I guess my issue now is with the “Friends w/ Benefits” club I’m in (I.M.P. concert promoters for all the main venues in the area). They never sent me a Cure pre-sale alert. I get emails from them all damn week about bands I could not care less about, so I know they’re not caught up in spam.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Interesting name they chose for that club!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw this show with my wife's coworkers last night.

Not sure if is technically a co-headlining thing or what, because the show opened and closed with both groups performing together and the sets were similar lengths, but Gaelic Storm played their set first and are more of a party/drinking band and maybe could have benefited from a more intimate setting, or me being drunk. The voices of the dudes in The High Kings were pretty incredible and filled the space. Fun show, my wife had a great time.

I can't recommend the theater itself enough to you local guys if you have a reason to see a show there. Smaller than someplace like the Wellmont, and I think better preserved/restored to its gilded glory (at least based on the last time I was in Montclair). I can't believe how many luxury apartment buildings they've put up in downtown Rahway since the last time I was there (been years, since the old soccer bubble collapsed one winter).
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:10 pm Saw this show with my wife's coworkers last night.

Not sure if is technically a co-headlining thing or what, because the show opened and closed with both groups performing together and the sets were similar lengths, but Gaelic Storm played their set first and are more of a party/drinking band and maybe could have benefited from a more intimate setting, or me being drunk. The voices of the dudes in The High Kings were pretty incredible and filled the space. Fun show, my wife had a great time.

I can't recommend the theater itself enough to you local guys if you have a reason to see a show there. Smaller than someplace like the Wellmont, and I think better preserved/restored to its gilded glory (at least based on the last time I was in Montclair). I can't believe how many luxury apartment buildings they've put up in downtown Rahway since the last time I was there (been years, since the old soccer bubble collapsed one winter).
Luxury and Rahway in the same sentence is very jarring.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not sure if this has been posted...but just ran across the Bono&The Edge Tiny Desk concert, and its pretty great...

Cool to hear Edge play an acoustic without a bunch of effects...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:50 am The Vandoliers are really scratching a musical itch I didn't know I had. Avett Brothers meets Dropkick Murphys meets Gaslight Anthem with a little Highwaymen heritage.
Just got my tickets to see the Vandoliers in June. I normally wouldn’t buy so far in advance but they are playing at a tiny little club in San Francisco (the Bottom of the Hill), so it could easily sell out early. Haven’t been to that place since I saw Whiskeytown there back in the 90s.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Beths just announced a Tampa show!!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Expats in a Dying State.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:59 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:50 am The Vandoliers are really scratching a musical itch I didn't know I had. Avett Brothers meets Dropkick Murphys meets Gaslight Anthem with a little Highwaymen heritage.
Just got my tickets to see the Vandoliers in June. I normally wouldn’t buy so far in advance but they are playing at a tiny little club in San Francisco (the Bottom of the Hill), so it could easily sell out early. Haven’t been to that place since I saw Whiskeytown there back in the 90s.
Yes!! I’m gonna buy my sisters family tix to the show in Santa Cruz.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 pm Expats in a Dying State.
Very well done
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

After Interpol/Spoon last year we decided we were going to try to do an Asbury concert/night every summer. After complaining like a week ago that the calendar sucked, Pixies + Modest Mouse + Cat Power got added. Hooray!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If you're a fan of American Aquarium at all, you should really go see a BJ Barham solo show if he's around. I honestly would've been fine listening to him tell stories all night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Depeche Mode fucking wailed last night. There’s probably very few bands you could say this about but their shit deserves to be seen in an arena.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In PHX for Lucero (1st of 3 Lucero shows in next 7 days) and get to pre-game at Thunder Dan Majerle’s bar. There’s a guy who was born 20 years too early. In today’s NBA he’s probably a Hall of Famer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:22 pm Depeche Mode fucking wailed last night. There’s probably very few bands you could say this about but their shit deserves to be seen in an arena.
Their Front of House audio engineer takes that as a compliment! I mean, the musicians always have to first bring the talent to the table, but with a synth-heavy outfit like Depeche Mode, the FoH engineers better bring an A game too. Apparently they have this guy Antony King, who has a pretty strong pedigree.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They’re playing a second show later in the year at T-Mobile which is very strange. If I had to bet they’re doing due diligence on the viability of a possible residency at the new MSG Sphere which U2 is rumored to be opening with 12-16 shows. A $2.2 billion arena designed for AV spectacles would make sense.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:56 pm In PHX for Lucero (1st of 3 Lucero shows in next 7 days) and get to pre-game at Thunder Dan Majerle’s bar. There’s a guy who was born 20 years too early. In today’s NBA he’s probably a Hall of Famer.
They skipped Houston this year. We had our family pictures done this past weekend. It was originally supposed to happen in a town about 45 miles west of Fort Worth, but they moved it to Dallas at the last minute and I completely forgot Lucero was playing Dallas the night we got there or I would have actually been able to see them this tour.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm at the point now where I'm happy when bands avoid Tampa this summer. My dance card is full!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:32 am
brian wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:56 pm In PHX for Lucero (1st of 3 Lucero shows in next 7 days) and get to pre-game at Thunder Dan Majerle’s bar. There’s a guy who was born 20 years too early. In today’s NBA he’s probably a Hall of Famer.
They skipped Houston this year. We had our family pictures done this past weekend. It was originally supposed to happen in a town about 45 miles west of Fort Worth, but they moved it to Dallas at the last minute and I completely forgot Lucero was playing Dallas the night we got there or I would have actually been able to see them this tour.
Was with sancarlos last night as he broke his live Lucero cherry. The guys rocked as always, the opener was very entertaining and seeing a show at The Fillmore was pretty amazing as well.

Not to mention I got to meet his lovely wife and lovable doggo (the cats wanted nothing to do with me however).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(Think I’m having sympathy eyesight issues though. Or more likely the drive from the Bay Area).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This would be a very fun show...

Hold Steady and Bob Mould returning to Minnesota for joint State Fair grandstand gig Sept. 2
Two veteran indie-rock acts with deep Minnesota ties, the Hold Steady and Bob Mould will pair up at the Minnesota State Fair grandstand on Sept. 2 for the Current's annual Music-on-a-Stick concert.

The Saturday night gig at the fair will be the first time the Hold Steady — led by Edina native Craig Finn with other ex-Twin Citian bandmates — has shared a stage locally with their hero Mould, who spent his formative 1980s years here making noise with the legendary punk trio Hüsker Dü. Mould will be joined at this show by his namesake band of the past decade and a half, featuring Superchunk drummer Jon Wurster and bassist Jason Narducy.

Dillinger Four also will make its grandstand debut to open the concert. That's one of two gigs the cult-loved Twin Cities punk quartet — which has been repeatedly alluded to in Finn's lyrics — has with the Hold Steady this summer. The other is a June 30 set at Chicago's new outdoor venue the Salt Shed.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Granting I’m 10+ years too old for this: Boygenius’s Coachella set was incredible
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Just got invited to go to my first Mountain Goats show tonight at Union Transfer Philly with someone who'll be going to at least his tenth MG show.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 am Just got invited to go to my first Mountain Goats show tonight at Union Transfer Philly with someone who'll be going to at least his tenth MG show.
Don't miss the opener! Adeem the Artist is awesome.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 am Just got invited to go to my first Mountain Goats show tonight at Union Transfer Philly with someone who'll be going to at least his tenth MG show.
I was supposed to go last August(?) but was sick. The guy I was supposed to go with said if you're a casual going in thinking "I'm sure I'll know more than just the two songs", you may really only know just those two songs. But also said it was great anyway.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice...should be a fun show.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, definitely go, if you need one more person telling you to.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:57 am
I was supposed to go last August(?) but was sick. The guy I was supposed to go with said if you're a casual going in thinking "I'm sure I'll know more than just the two songs", you may really only know just those two songs. But also said it was great anyway.
This is accurate. Still, they’re awesome live.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm Yeah, definitely go, if you need one more person telling you to.
Yeah, I'm going. Been too long without seeing anyone. I've been listening while lunching so I know I'll enjoy it even if I don't know the songs.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?