The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by govmentchedda »

Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:07 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm Yeah, definitely go, if you need one more person telling you to.
Yeah, I'm going. Been too long without seeing anyone. I've been listening while lunching so I know I'll enjoy it even if I don't know the songs.
I'll be at Wilco tonight.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:44 am
Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 am Just got invited to go to my first Mountain Goats show tonight at Union Transfer Philly with someone who'll be going to at least his tenth MG show.
Don't miss the opener! Adeem the Artist is awesome.
Kinda low-key obsessed with Adeem right now. He short set list was great and his banter in between songs was hilarious.

Mountain Goats were very good. They played for well over two hours, which was impressive. A few longer mellow portions in his set than I was expecting, but yeah, top-notch and so very happy I jumped at the chance to go.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:17 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:26 pm Yeah, definitely go, if you need one more person telling you to.
Yeah, I'm going. Been too long without seeing anyone. I've been listening while lunching so I know I'll enjoy it even if I don't know the songs.
Nice. An old buddy of mine traveled to Iceland to see their shows in Reykjavik earlier this month. Wife and I are traveling down to Asheville for a long weekend to see them next weekend.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I don’t know if I heard about this here or on the Conan podcast, but Tweedy did an episode of Norah Jones podcast. Good stuff.

If you’re interested
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:52 pm
Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 am Just got invited to go to my first Mountain Goats show tonight at Union Transfer Philly with someone who'll be going to at least his tenth MG show.
Kinda low-key obsessed with Adeem right now. He short set list was great and his banter in between songs was hilarious.

Mountain Goats were very good. They played for well over two hours, which was impressive. A few longer mellow portions in his set than I was expecting, but yeah, top-notch and so very happy I jumped at the chance to go.
Awesome! I haven't had a chance to catch Adeem yet, but can't wait.

I passed on a show I really wanted to see - The Wood Brothers. I've been to several shows lately and have Gaslight Anthem next Monday before a trip to Atlanta for day one of Shaky Knees. Didn't need to spend the money.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 am
I don’t know if I heard about this here or on the Conan podcast, but Tweedy did an episode of Norah Jones podcast. Good stuff.

If you’re interested
Very cool. I'll have to check it out. Recently Matt Berninger called out Tweedy's book about songwriting as a very good read as well. I'll have to see if I can get it on Libby.

I didn't give a post-concert report either. They were good, not great. The crowd couldn't decide if they wanted to sit or stand and Jeff mentioned it a few times, saying that even though the sitters made him angry, it's exactly how he'd be at a concert. My main gripe was the set list. They were like 10 songs in before they played something I was familiar with.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:33 am
Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:52 pm

Awesome! I haven't had a chance to catch Adeem yet, but can't wait.
There's one thing I'm confused about with them. A couple times someone yelled out "Tiger Prince" and they responded by saying I don't know why this happens at every show recently that someone yells it out and it freaks them out because they're requesting a song that doesn't exist. So of course I Google it when I get home and, um, yeah, it is actually a thing. Maybe they don't like the song so they just won't play it, but saying it doesn't exist just struck me as odd since it obviously does.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

First set of tix go on sale this week for U2 residency at MSG Sphere in Vegas.

Most expensive ($2.4 billion) and technologically advanced (entire interior and exterior is comprised of an LED light sphere) music venue ever built should be a pretty good canvas for U2’s catalog.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, we went to Stanford’s Frost Amphitheatre last night and saw the great Willie Nelson, who, amazingly is about to turn 90 years old. The old man talk-sings his songs a fair bit of the time, but he still works hard, plays a mean guitar, and can bring the vocals when he wants to. Very entertaining.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Reaper wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:04 amIs this for the Walkmen? Give me a week or so and I may able to take them off your hands if you want to avoid all the apps/sites. (I've gotta wait for kids sports schedules to come out, which was supposed to be earlier this week but hasn't happened yet)
Debating going solo tonight. Weather is going to be dick so maybe I'll find a super cheap one?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Do it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:19 pmDo it.
Wear your Sabrina Ionescu jersey, Mister D.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't get it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 pm I don't get it.
I'm not surprised.

(When Giff and I went to railbird, there were a shocking number of basketball jerseys being worn. So we decided if we came back we'd do WNBA jerseys, which somehow spiraled into trying to get High school jerseys of Chiney and Nneka ogwumike.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I'm doing that it would have to be Maddy Siegrist I think. Obv pro or HS, not college.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:31 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:27 pm I don't get it.
I'm not surprised.

(When Giff and I went to railbird, there were a shocking number of basketball jerseys being worn. So we decided if we came back we'd do WNBA jerseys, which somehow spiraled into trying to get High school jerseys of Chiney and Nneka ogwumike.)
I actually pulled out the list a couple weeks ago to show a friend when I noticed someone wearing a UT Durant jersey at the festival I was at.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I do not regret going.

(Green hoodie. Sorry fellas.)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I saw Wilco last night at the Thomas Wolfe auditorium here in Asheville. Nels Cline played some inspired guitar last night. Easily his best performance I’ve seen of the two dozen-ish times I’ve seen them play. He teased Marquee Moon in both of the solos - exploratory moments of the show opener, Handshake Drugs.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Accidentally bought Gaslight Anthem tix the same day as I already have Death Cab/Postal Service tix. Oops.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:57 pm Accidentally bought Gaslight Anthem tix the same day as I already have Death Cab/Postal Service tix. Oops.
The venues close enough for a Jack Tripper type farce where you run back and forth between songs frantically changing your tour t-shirt along the way?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:29 pm
brian wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:57 pm Accidentally bought Gaslight Anthem tix the same day as I already have Death Cab/Postal Service tix. Oops.
The venues close enough for a Jack Tripper type farce where you run back and forth between songs frantically changing your tour t-shirt along the way?
This world needs more Jack Tripper type farces.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm
I’ll meet you a the regal beagle to talk that over
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jaaaaaack! Twins Jack! Twiiiins!
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:47 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm
I’ll meet you a the regal beagle to talk that over
Don't tempt me with a good time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jesus. Another example of a thread I don't usual frequent being awesome.

Jack motherfucking Tripper.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sadly no. But I laughed at the thought.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I did this one night years ago but I can't definitively remember the second band. The first was Andrew Bird at the mid sized room of the performing arts center. The second concert that night could have been Titus Andronicus at a local dive-ish place on the tour for The Monitor, could've been a smaller band but it was definitely that venue.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’d go Gaslight.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:32 pm I’d go Gaslight.
If not for The Postal Service “reunion” I’d agree with you. I’m not gonna give up on seeing Gaslight in PHX or LA
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not that it’s a big factor but it’s not not a factor is I have seats for DCFC and Gaslight is standing haha
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Seeing Gaslight here next week.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Manchester Orchestra dropped out of Shaky Knees, which sucks. But Killer Mike replacing him is pretty dope.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gaslight is another good "how do you like (all the music you like) but not them" band for me. Not quite Hold Steady level, but another I just don't get. Actually left a six band show they were playing at in 2009 after Ra Ra Riot, Passion Pit and Metric were done. Hit me with 2 or 3 songs that might change my mind.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:24 pm Haven’t tried to buy tickets day of sale for I don’t know how long. Any tips/tricks? Youngest wants to see Lovejoy (off my radar) and the show at the TLA in Philly seems the best bet (either that or Governor’s Ball, which ugh), on sale tomorrow AM.
Queued up outside the TLA. Very young, very colorful crowd.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dirt bikes
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Psyched to see Vandoliers tomorrow. I hadn’t really listened to a whole lot of their stuff until a couple weeks ago but definitely a lot of great stuff. I like bands that are mashups of bands I really like (in this case Gaslight Anthem + Calexico + Lucero)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:00 pm Psyched to see Vandoliers tomorrow. I hadn’t really listened to a whole lot of their stuff until a couple weeks ago but definitely a lot of great stuff. I like bands that are mashups of bands I really like (in this case Gaslight Anthem + Calexico + Lucero)
I’m seeing them in a couple weeks. Playing at a tiny club in SF, so that should be fun.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:50 pm
brian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:00 pm Psyched to see Vandoliers tomorrow. I hadn’t really listened to a whole lot of their stuff until a couple weeks ago but definitely a lot of great stuff. I like bands that are mashups of bands I really like (in this case Gaslight Anthem + Calexico + Lucero)
I’m seeing them in a couple weeks. Playing at a tiny club in SF, so that should be fun.
Yeah they’re playing in a brewery here. Can’t be capacity of more than about 150.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I hope y’all love it so much.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They added a “please” to the “one more song” chant.

I think the kids are alright