Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff »

I'm headed to Atlanta next week for day one of the Shaky Knees music festival. The initial plan was to meet my buddy who is flying in from Chicago on Wednesday night, but he won't be there until Thursday evening. So I have two-three meals and an evening to get drinks. Any recommendations around Midtown?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Went to Bon Ton near Ponce (road) and Mary macs (restaurant) yesterday afternoon. Recommended. Frozen Pimms cup! Midtown is easy lots in area and walkable public transport. I'll ask someone who knows better and post. Try eater online pretty up to date. I'll reply next week if you want a drinking buddy
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:16 am Went to Bon Ton near Ponce (road) and Mary macs (restaurant) yesterday afternoon. Recommended. Frozen Pimms cup! Midtown is easy lots in area and walkable public transport. I'll ask someone who knows better and post. Try eater online pretty up to date. I'll reply next week if you want a drinking buddy
Thanks, man! I'll let you know. Flight gets in around 6:55 and plan on Ubering it to the hotel in Midtown.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

There's a foodhall place near, or called, Ponce de Leon that had a ton of options that we all enjoyed on our way through town a few years back. Pretty sure it was close-ish to Clermont Lounge/Hotel/whatever. Traffic from ATL to there was a nightmare though, at least when we went.

A fly in fly out day at Shaky Knees is a very good time. It's where I first saw Julien Baker.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. My buddy only mentioned it because of Cypress Hill and Digable Planets, but also pumped about Manchester Orchestra and The Killers. Thanks for the rec.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Killers were pretty fun live. An all out rock show.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:44 am Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. My buddy only mentioned it because of Cypress Hill and Digable Planets, but also pumped about Manchester Orchestra and The Killers. Thanks for the rec.
Looks like it's called Ponce City Market. LOTS of options, and not terribly far from the festival. Probably too far to walk.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had some good ramen there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Still believe Digable Planets are a massive group who either arrived too early or too late.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would say too late.

I truly forgot how great that album is and Black Sunday. Both are being played in their entirety for the 30th anniversaries.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Do you know where your hotel is? Midtown is pretty broadly defined in Atlanta, and some of it is dead by 8PM. If you are in the southern part near where the festival is, there are plenty of food options along Peachtree Street and in the Tech Square area (5th and Spring).

If you are trying to kill the day, and the weather is nice, I would recommend getting out of Midtown and walking the Eastside Beltline (or rent a bike, or bring roller skates, or whatever you do) between Piedmont Park/10th Street and Edgewood Avenue. That's the best place in town to people watch, especially in late afternoon/early evening.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rex wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:59 pm Do you know where your hotel is? Midtown is pretty broadly defined in Atlanta, and some of it is dead by 8PM. If you are in the southern part near where the festival is, there are plenty of food options along Peachtree Street and in the Tech Square area (5th and Spring).

If you are trying to kill the day, and the weather is nice, I would recommend getting out of Midtown and walking the Eastside Beltline (or rent a bike, or bring roller skates, or whatever you do) between Piedmont Park/10th Street and Edgewood Avenue. That's the best place in town to people watch, especially in late afternoon/early evening.
It's the Courtyard in Midtown, very close to festival. And I will definitely check that out.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I haven't been to Atlanta in several years, but I always enjoyed Max Lager's (wood-fired grill and brewery), which isn't too far from your hotel.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Hmm, there are some restaurants around the Fox Theater (right next to you) which will probably still be open. I don't have a specific recommendation in that area except for Papi's (Cuban), which is a few blocks to the east and not a walk I would recommend if you're on your own at night.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, some of you know I'm in Denver a whole lot over the next month. My wife and I are packing up our daughter's place so we have a car out there and we are using DEN as a jumping off point for driving or flighted trips over some of the weekends.

Just got back from South Dakota trip -- Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Custer State Park and Badlands. (We also did Wind Cave NP but just driving around, no caves.)

Anyways, we're headed to Steamboat Springs next weekend. Cheap ass flights and we're trying to get our status bumped into whatever is high end on Southwest.

Anybody been there/got any suggestions? We rented a car.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Bon ton is right next door to papis. Piedmont Park and Eastside trail on a scooter will give you the Atlanta experience so long as it ends with magic city wings. Strange mix of mentally ill and $1.5 Millon homes on those blocks but boogaloo is hood lite across the street and Nancy Chicago about as good a deal as you will find in that area. JR crickets in an ihop and the Publix where Ludacris got busted again. Shaqs Krispy Kreme ashes. Nice couple blocks. Gay eagle beat downs. My best rec is byob at the bodega on Peachtree right across from new courtyard and sit for free and watch on the loungers outside the Georgian terrace when there's a show at the fox. Patrick Dugans is no more. RIP
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I forgot I had a call with a law firm based in Atlanta and they recommended Vortex and JR Crickets. The latter will probably happen and that reminds me I need to watch the last season of Atlanta.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:48 pm So, some of you know I'm in Denver a whole lot over the next month. My wife and I are packing up our daughter's place so we have a car out there and we are using DEN as a jumping off point for driving or flighted trips over some of the weekends.

Just got back from South Dakota trip -- Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills, Custer State Park and Badlands. (We also did Wind Cave NP but just driving around, no caves.)

Anyways, we're headed to Steamboat Springs next weekend. Cheap ass flights and we're trying to get our status bumped into whatever is high end on Southwest.

I don't have much...if the weather is nice try Mountain Tap and Brewery...it's across the street from the river and weather-permitting they open the place up so it has a good vibe to it. Storm Peak brewing has better beer...it is outside of town.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Vortex has burgers and comedy I hear but also has a sticky floor and that's all I needed
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:48 pm So, some of you know I'm in Denver a whole lot over the next month. My wife and I are packing up our daughter's place so we have a car out there and we are using DEN as a jumping off point for driving or flighted trips over some of the weekends.

The drive on US 40 past Bertoud Falls and over Berthoud Pass is pretty amazing.

Be prepared to see lots of dead spruce and pine trees going out that way, however. The forests on the west side of the Divide have been hit really hard by a beetle infestation the past twenty-five years.

If you have extra time and don't mind really windy roads, Highway 6 west from Golden is pretty scenic also.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, the parts of South Dakota we were in, especially in Wind Cave NP, were pretty damaged by the beetle stuff. You can see lots of places where they are bundling up felled trees and places with controlled burns trying to contain things.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:19 am

I don't have much...if the weather is nice try Mountain Tap and Brewery...it's across the street from the river and weather-permitting they open the place up so it has a good vibe to it. Storm Peak brewing has better beer...it is outside of town.
Yampa Valley Brewing just opened a taproom in SS, their homebase is up the road in Hayden (wife's hometown)

She suggests Fish Creek Falls, the Town "spa" with lots of springs in the middle of town is nice on a nice day.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thanks, fellas!

Next week I'm gonna hit folks up for tips for the Utah trip we are taking in 2 weeks. Hitting up the Mighty Five, based mostly out of Moab.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:55 am Thanks, fellas!

Next week I'm gonna hit folks up for tips for the Utah trip we are taking in 2 weeks. Hitting up the Mighty Five, based mostly out of Moab.
Moab food truck park
Fiesta Mexicana
Moab Gear Trader for 2nd hand outdoor gear and clothing
Moab Bar Trails (bar-M) for mountain biking
Mill Creek Watering Hole (hike)
Island in the Sky (liked more than Arches)
Arches
Milt's Stop and Eat (hamburger joint at the end of the slick rock trail) https://miltsstopandeat.com/
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Arches NP *at dawn* - getting up that early blows but a) in summer at least it made sense heat-wise and more importantly b) by 11am there was a very very long line to actually get IN to the park. also c) it's gorgeous in any light but early morning is amazing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I didn't drone on about it, but we just did South Dakota parks last weekend. We both stayed on east coast time during our work week for this very reason.

We did sunrise at Mt. Rushmore and it was flippin' amazing. We were there so early, the Rangers didn't have a chance to close the Presidential Trail due to ice and snow. It was totally fine for us, but we kept saying it was shocking for it to be open. By the time we finished the trail, they had locked off the trail. The Ranger was standing there and was nice about unlocking the gate to let us out.

We saw 5 other people the entire time we were there. Downside is that the Visitor Center wasn't open. We wanted to watch the movie, but you can do that on the web, so... Totally worth it.

All that to say, we will definitely be in the parks early each day.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:35 pm

Moab food truck park
Fiesta Mexicana
Moab Gear Trader for 2nd hand outdoor gear and clothing
Moab Bar Trails (bar-M) for mountain biking
Mill Creek Watering Hole (hike)
Island in the Sky (liked more than Arches)
Arches
Milt's Stop and Eat (hamburger joint at the end of the slick rock trail) https://miltsstopandeat.com/
Fanks!

I hope you guys know, I cut and paste this stuff into a shared file and we absolutely use that file whenever we travel. Very much appreciate the feedback.

This place bats pretty close to 1.000 on its recommendations.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If you make it this way, I'll meet you at Pepperoni Hug Spot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Are you ready for best pizza of life?

This seems targeted to a very specific demographic.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:19 pm Are you ready for best pizza of life?

This seems targeted to a very specific demographic.
It also looks like it was created with AI.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah Johnnie posted it here yesterday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My hometown of Grand Junction is just across the border from Moab, and everything there is much more affordable than Moab. Couple decent breweries and the Colorado National Monument is like a smaller version of Arches. Downside: place voted for Boebert (shame).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh, it WAS made with AI. That's what I get for paying attention.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:16 pm

My hometown of Grand Junction is just across the border from Moab, and everything there is much more affordable than Moab. Couple decent breweries and the Colorado National Monument is like a smaller version of Arches. Downside: place voted for Boebert (shame).
Yeah, Moab is $$$

Issue is that Moab allows you to get up and hit a number of the parks without having to drive 60+ minutes.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I was going to suggest you head out this way, but I figured it'd be out of your range.

Arches NP requires reservations to enter during certain hours. So you want to plan ahead for that. https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/ ... vation.htm
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:16 pm

CNM was the other thing I was going to suggest. (Though I haven't been there, I hear it's amazing.)

If you're thinking of visiting Bryce Canyon or Zion, you will probably want to stay in that part of the state. It's a four-hour drive from Moab to Zion.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve - Just to pay respect, I was going to PM you and thought I'd just float it out here and not put any pressure on you.

And, yes, I know I said Mighty 5 but we're really focusing on Arches and Canyonland around Moab and then moving up to... shit, the edible is kicking in...

AH. Sorry. Capitol Reefs NP, that's the one.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Feel free to PM if you’d like.

But one quick question for planning. Were you planning to stay near Capitol Reef, or do a day trip from Moab?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just returned from a few days visiting our daughter, and a couple good friends in Seattle.

We spent a couple nights at the Edgewater Inn. That hotel name may ring a bell with those of you who follow sordid rock and roll stories.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:09 pm Just returned from a few days visiting our daughter, and a couple good friends in Seattle.

We spent a couple nights at the Edgewater Inn. That hotel name may ring a bell with those of you who follow sordid rock and roll stories.
Also talked about in the classic Frank Zappa album "Live at the Fillmore East".

The Edgewater is a great spot...never stayed there, but have had drinks at the bar many times.