Gordon Lightfoot

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Gordon Lightfoot

Post by rass »

Aw man.

Just finally took his CD out of my car’s player for the new The National album over the weekend.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Gordon Lightfoot

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 pm Aw man.

Just finally took his CD out of my car’s player for the new The National album over the weekend.
Don’t take out the National CD otherwise we’ll have a lot of sadder Dads.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Leafs gotta win the Cup now?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So many great songs. RIP to a king.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

One of those not entirely surprising ones but man ... ouch. Just seeing the headline last night brought back a wave of nostalgia. What a soundtrack of my childhood; a radio constant from the back of parents' station wagon.

"Summertime Dream" is first-up this morning.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

"Carefree Highway" for me.

A Canadian Icon for sure. An old friend of mine made a documentary about him a decade or so ago. Said he was just a really nice guy.
Canadian International
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

One of the years in college we had Sundown on our warmup tape before games. Timed to when we stretched but still a very strange choice by our captains.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Their is a crazy long list of great songs. One that doesn't get cited as often is Summer Side of Life - an absolute banger that is somehow uplifting and deeply sad at the same time.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 am One that doesn't get cited as often is Summer Side of Life - an absolute banger that is somehow uplifting and deeply sad at the same time.
Might be some sunscreen in my eye when that one comes up on my vacation playlist this summer.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

oh wow i'd love to see this - know if it's available online anywhere?
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:29 am An old friend of mine made a documentary about him a decade or so ago. Said he was just a really nice guy.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:47 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 am One that doesn't get cited as often is Summer Side of Life - an absolute banger that is somehow uplifting and deeply sad at the same time.
Might be some sunscreen in my eye when that one comes up on my vacation playlist this summer.
yeah.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Edmund Fitzgerald makes me think about listening to the radio with my mom. It turns out they had nearly the exact same lifespan - he was born just a few weeks after her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm sorry, is that super-hot Bryan Cranston or super-chill Chris Pratt?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:09 am oh wow i'd love to see this - know if it's available online anywhere?
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:29 am An old friend of mine made a documentary about him a decade or so ago. Said he was just a really nice guy.
$3.99 on amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Gordon-Lightfoot ... B08F7MD72G
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Such an icon that an early SCTV episode featured this...

Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:05 am Just seeing the headline last night brought back a wave of nostalgia. What a soundtrack of my childhood; a radio constant from the back of parents' station wagon.
Exactly!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:31 am I'm sorry, is that super-hot Bryan Cranston or super-chill Chris Pratt?
After watching the SCTV video, all I saw were these two interpretations. Either (or both) could play him in the biopic.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

If songwriting is a science, Gordon Lightfoot was one of the head researchers over at Bell Labs (Canada Division).

Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Either no one else is admitting it or I'm on an island here ... I knew his name and I knew he had a song about the Edmund Fitzgerald, but I didn't actually know any of his songs (including that one) until today.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

This is the jam I associate him w/

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Thanks Pruitt - I'll definitely queue this up.
Pruitt IV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:41 am
MaxWebster wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:09 am oh wow i'd love to see this - know if it's available online anywhere?
$3.99 on amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Gordon-Lightfoot ... B08F7MD72G
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:46 pm Either no one else is admitting it or I'm on an island here ... I knew his name and I knew he had a song about the Edmund Fitzgerald, but I didn't actually know any of his songs (including that one) until today.
that will be me when someone from the National goes someday.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:46 pm Either no one else is admitting it or I'm on an island here ... I knew his name and I knew he had a song about the Edmund Fitzgerald, but I didn't actually know any of his songs (including that one) until today.
Same.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I discovered Gordon Lightfoot when playing at friends' houses back when I was a kid. The common theme in those friends' houses was that album-oriented-rock (AOR) did not exist. Gord's Gold was a common thread, too. I'm not saying they listened exclusively to AM radio, but it sorta felt that way. Neil Diamond was big in those houses too. I grew to appreciate Lightfoot in my late teens once I realized I was drawn to singer-songwriters like a magnet.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Same.
But you're Texas.

Robert Earl Keen and Kris Kristofferson are ubiquitous with your youth, right? I was like 30 when I realized Kristofferson wrote Bobby McGee. And 40 when I realized who Keen even was.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Same.
You guys are too young, I guess. In the 70’s, it seemed like AM radio played his music constantly.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I always thought he was a joke because he was a frequent punchline on Canadian comedy shows, often tied to Juno Awards. Kind of like the male Anne Murray. Edmund Fitzgerald is the only song I could name. Watched the posted videos, and I know the Sundown song PDX posted, but didn't know Lightfoot sang it until now.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:53 pm
Same.
But you're Texas.

Robert Earl Keen and Kris Kristofferson are ubiquitous with your youth, right? I was like 30 when I realized Kristofferson wrote Bobby McGee. And 40 when I realized who Keen even was.
Willie and Neil Diamond were the soundtracks of my youth. I did listen to Kristofferson, but REK wasn't a big deal to me until college.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 pm
that will be me when someone from the National goes someday.
I tried to listen to The National, downloaded a torrent of an album years ago. I feel like I'd like them if I gave them a chance, but every song sounded the same to me.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He was insanely popular in Michigan between proximity to Canada and “Edmund Fitzgerald”. The Canadian content requirement on Canadian radio made sure his stuff was in regular rotation on the radio (Canadian stations in Windsor were generally better).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

All over the radio when I was a kid.

Every year for years and years, he'd play Massey Hall in Toronto (seats around 2,500) for an annual series of concerts. From 5 to 12 shows (during his "Sundown" peak).

To be honest, the guy had health issues like 20 years ago and has looked like he was at death's door since then. Still performed occasionally though.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:31 pm To be honest, the guy had health issues like 20 years ago and has looked like he was at death's door since then. Still performed occasionally though.
He played a couple of shows in NJ last year. I should have gone to see him. We have very Canadian neighbors, and the dad took the 11 or 12-year-old son to see him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My introduction to "good" music came from my mom and her boyfriend-at-the-time's vinyl collection. Heavy on Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac*, Willie and Waylon and a bunch of other cool shit.

Gordon's Sundown and Summertime Dream were in heavy rotation. Echo what Brian said about living in MI when the Fitzgerald hit. I was a little kid when the wreck occurred, but I remember that song being on CONSTANTLY for about a year and a half.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jeff Marek said he probably saw GL live 50-60 times!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nice!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:39 pmNice!
Ain't nobody doing that with the National.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:45 pm
rass wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:39 pmNice!
Ain't nobody doing that with the National.
Dessners out here catching strays.