Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by mister d »

I didn't know it was that close, but Jay-Z was olllddd in rap terms when Reasonable Doubt came out. Like 5+ years older than the usual college-aged debut.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't know if this is true, but it's a mindboggling stat.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I can't confirm the exact numbers, but 70% doesn't surprise me. It majorly fucked the Soviet Union, as they were missing most of a generation of prime workers and were left with a generation of widows and women with no options for marrying. Being communism, they were all forced to work. When I went to Russia in 1993, the streets of Moscow were filled with elderly women shoveling sidewalks with what looked like large pizza shovels. They intentionally used highly inefficient tools and workers so they could employ more of them and keep them busy. All of them had destroyed their backs and were shriveled hunchbacks. It was really sad. Museums were filled with them, working as security or just generally standing around. Every bathroom had an ancient looking woman who clearly lived a miserable life collecting a fee.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Luckily they had a big supply of Wehrmacht POWs that they kept around well into the 1950s.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m not saying I justify the spread of communism in Eastern Europe after World War II. But considering they were on the winning side and had the largest losses on either side during it (22 million is the generally agreed number), I can see why they felt entitled to the spoils.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:11 pm I’m not saying I justify the spread of communism in Eastern Europe after World War II. But considering they were on the winning side and had the largest losses on either side during it (22 million is the generally agreed number), I can see why they felt entitled to the spoils.
Especially when it comes to Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. Those countries all joined the Axis. Hungary and Romania participated in the German invasion of the USSR. So it's not surprising that the USSR treated them as conquered nations.

It was not until a few months ago that I learned that the USSR's invasion of Poland in 1939 (after its non-aggression pact with Germany) simply retook land that was supposed to be part of the USSR after WWI but Poland took it from the USSR in a war Poland started in 1919 by invading Ukraine, Lithuania, and Belarus. At one point, Poland controlled a lot of the territory of Lithuania and Belarus.

Which, like you said, doesn't justify anything, but it provides some perspective.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I’m doing some work this AM and I have ‘Pawn Stars’ on in the background. Somebody brought in some Basquiat artwork. Original works he had done when he was homeless, he would paint on the backs of postcards so that he could make $ quick. The head guy at the shop (Rick, I guess?) brings in some art experts to analyze it to see if this is the real deal. The art expert brings in a guy who actually knew Basquiat when he was homeless on the streets of NYC, and he goes into detail how these are absolutely the real deal. The art expert goes on to say that these (3 postcards) would sell for $50k apiece.

The expert and his asset leave the building, and then the guy who brought the Basquiat works of art in begins to negotiate with Rick.

So how much do you want for these?…

He asked $38k apiece, and then backed down to $30k apiece, but Rick wouldn’t budge off of $50k for the whole lot.

My random thought: if an actual art expert had the pieces confirmed to be worth $50k apiece, why the hell would you be unloading them for a third of that at a pawn shop in Las Vegas? I get this is all scripted nonsense, but that really distracted me from my work.

“WALK AWAY…”
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:10 am So I’m doing some work this AM and I have ‘Pawn Stars’ on in the background. Somebody brought in some Basquiat artwork. Original works he had done when he was homeless, he would paint on the backs of postcards so that he could make $ quick. The head guy at the shop (Rick, I guess?) brings in some art experts to analyze it to see if this is the real deal. The art expert brings in a guy who actually knew Basquiat when he was homeless on the streets of NYC, and he goes into detail how these are absolutely the real deal. The art expert goes on to say that these (3 postcards) would sell for $50k apiece.

The expert and his asset leave the building, and then the guy who brought the Basquiat works of art in begins to negotiate with Rick.

He asked $38k apiece, and then backed down to $30k apiece, but Rick wouldn’t budge off of $50k for the whole lot.

My random thought: if an actual art expert had the pieces confirmed to be worth $50k apiece, why the hell would you be unloading them for a third of that at a pawn shop in Las Vegas? I get this is all scripted nonsense, but that really distracted me from my work.

“WALK AWAY…”
Maybe your bookie is going to take your thumbs by the end of the day and you don't have time to find a collector willing to pay the value some expert said it's worth?
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:24 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:10 am So I’m doing some work this AM and I have ‘Pawn Stars’ on in the background. Somebody brought in some Basquiat artwork. Original works he had done when he was homeless, he would paint on the backs of postcards so that he could make $ quick. The head guy at the shop (Rick, I guess?) brings in some art experts to analyze it to see if this is the real deal. The art expert brings in a guy who actually knew Basquiat when he was homeless on the streets of NYC, and he goes into detail how these are absolutely the real deal. The art expert goes on to say that these (3 postcards) would sell for $50k apiece.

“WALK AWAY…”
Maybe your bookie is going to take your thumbs by the end of the day and you don't have time to find a collector willing to pay the value some expert said it's worth?
Yeah, I get that it’s Vegas and that implies seedy-AF, and maybe that’s why Rick is a (p)rick all the time, cuz these are hapless souls who absolutely need to part with these goods because Vinnie Bambino is waiting outside to crack their rib cages?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Because you can have the money right then and there and not have to do any other work to get them sold. People are lazy.

But you're right on. You can make an extra $100k (minus whatever fees exist) knowing what you know now? In fact that dude's friend might know someone who knows someone that'll pay for it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am

“WALK AWAY…”
Yeah, I get that it’s Vegas and that implies seedy-AF, and maybe that’s why Rick is a (p)rick all the time, cuz these are hapless souls who absolutely need to part with these goods because Vinnie Bambino is waiting outside to crack their rib cages?
I assume pawn shops are in the business of exploiting people's desperation. The entire business is buying stuff from desperate people for way under value and selling it at value or at least for profit. And just because you have artwork valued at $150,000 doesn't mean you can find someone willing to pay that much for it.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I got weird bad vibes going today. Can't get out of my own head. It's odd and unsettling.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:36 am I got weird bad vibes going today. Can't get out of my own head. It's odd and unsettling.
Probably because I texted you this morning.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In John Mulaney’s new special, he describes pawning a brand new $12,000 Rolex for $6,000 - the same day he bought it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:33 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am

“WALK AWAY…”
I assume pawn shops are in the business of exploiting people's desperation. The entire business is buying stuff from desperate people for way under value and selling it at value or at least for profit. And just because you have artwork valued at $150,000 doesn't mean you can find someone willing to pay that much for it.
Honestly if he sold them through Sotheby's or whatever I don't think he'd make much more. He'd have to find a buyer who's willing to take them with the only guarantee of authenticity being a segment of a reality tv show.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

i'd think that someone who wanted those originals might have their own authenticity person take a look.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:16 pm In John Mulaney’s new special, he describes pawning a brand new $12,000 Rolex for $6,000 - the same day he bought it.
To steal money from himself. I enjoyed the special.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:16 pm In John Mulaney’s new special, he describes pawning a brand new $12,000 Rolex for $6,000 - the same day he bought it.
To steal money from himself. I enjoyed the special.
It actually inspired me a little. Not sure my wife would approve the use of weed, and you can only pay cash or debit card. We only have a joint bank account and very rarely take out cash anymore. Had a bag I'd drop pocket change into back when I used cash, so I periodically roll some coins and return them for cash. When that runs out, I'll need to find a new source of cash.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:11 pm I’m not saying I justify the spread of communism in Eastern Europe after World War II. But considering they were on the winning side and had the largest losses on either side during it (22 million is the generally agreed number), I can see why they felt entitled to the spoils.
Especially when it comes to Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria. Those countries all joined the Axis. Hungary and Romania participated in the German invasion of the USSR. So it's not surprising that the USSR treated them as conquered nations.

It was not until a few months ago that I learned that the USSR's invasion of Poland in 1939 (after its non-aggression pact with Germany) simply retook land that was supposed to be part of the USSR after WWI but Poland took it from the USSR in a war Poland started in 1919 by invading Ukraine, Lithuania, and Belarus. At one point, Poland controlled a lot of the territory of Lithuania and Belarus.

Which, like you said, doesn't justify anything, but it provides some perspective.
Side topic, but something that has been utterly shocking to me after my move to France:

People that were children here during wwII are typically 6”+ shorter than people born after the war. It makes perfect sense, but holy shit is it apparent. I see so many old people that are 5’ max it’s shocking. Noticeably different from the US.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:42 pmIt actually inspired me a little. Not sure my wife would approve the use of weed, and you can only pay cash or debit card. We only have a joint bank account and very rarely take out cash anymore. Had a bag I'd drop pocket change into back when I used cash, so I periodically roll some coins and return them for cash. When that runs out, I'll need to find a new source of cash.
I think "how is Syb laundering his own money" should become a running thing here. I'm trying to think how I'd get a couple hundred in cash if I needed the reason to be secretive and I'm coming up blank.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:01 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:42 pmIt actually inspired me a little. Not sure my wife would approve the use of weed, and you can only pay cash or debit card. We only have a joint bank account and very rarely take out cash anymore. Had a bag I'd drop pocket change into back when I used cash, so I periodically roll some coins and return them for cash. When that runs out, I'll need to find a new source of cash.
I think "how is Syb laundering his own money" should become a running thing here. I'm trying to think how I'd get a couple hundred in cash if I needed the reason to be secretive and I'm coming up blank.
I have a couple of degenerate methods I could rely on but would never get to that level. My daughter has a stupid amount of cash on hand from dog sitting. Probably $700. We also have an envelope with emergency cash that I'm sure my wife forgot about. When we moved, my father-in-law gave us an envelope from my wife's now deceased great aunt with $2,000 in cash as a housewarming gift. She hand wrote a letter and told my FiL to give it to us after she dies and we have some reason to celebrate. She died about 10 years prior to delivering the letter. Kind of a cool idea... We kept a few hundred in case of a power outage where we couldn't get access to a bank or if credit cards weren't working. I probably have $300 more in coins, so that'll last me a couple years.

Back when I used to use cash, it would have been easy to keep a $20 on the side every time I went to the ATM, but now I take out money maybe 2 or 3 times a year. $100 cash can last 6 months, and I usually just give the kids money when they go out.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:52 pm i'd think that someone who wanted those originals might have their own authenticity person take a look.
To conclude this: right. My guess is if the person holding three Basquiat works of art who got them valued at $50k apiece at a freakin pawn shop, he’d leave and obtain certificates of authentication from an art appraiser so that he can sell them to somebody who just wants to hang them on a wall in their house.

My guess would be somewhere in the wealthy part of Miami / South Beach.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Appraisin' ain't free!

(Just sayin' that there are costs when transferring high value art that the seller is gonna have to eat one way or another... so the the pawn stars scenario may actually not be horrible)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:47 pm Appraisin' ain't free!

(Just sayin' that there are costs when transferring high value art that the seller is gonna have to eat one way or another... so the the pawn stars scenario may actually not be horrible)
These were literally postcards. No canvas to worry about. Put 'em in a padded briefcase chained to your wrist and you're golden.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:06 pm

These were literally postcards. No canvas to worry about. Put 'em in a padded briefcase chained to your wrist and you're golden.
Mr. Enoch Root, please, I have never enjoyed the touch of steel to my skin.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:58 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 pm

Side topic, but something that has been utterly shocking to me after my move to France:

People that were children here during wwII are typically 6”+ shorter than people born after the war. It makes perfect sense, but holy shit is it apparent. I see so many old people that are 5’ max it’s shocking. Noticeably different from the US.
That is pretty remarkable.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 pm

Well played!
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:24 pm

+1 Ocean's 11.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kind of concerned how annoyed the wife and I are at one of our friends and their terrible math at our favorite fried chicken place last weekend.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:03 pm Kind of concerned how annoyed the wife and I are at one of our friends and their terrible math at our favorite fried chicken place last weekend.
If it's about tipping I got confused at Hood to Coast and was going to leave no tip (we were splitting the bill), then noticed tommyboy staying behind to put cash on the table.

I felt bad and I obviously haven't forgotten about it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm picturing them with a huge pile of fried chicken and the two of your left to share a single drumstick or something.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:08 pm I'm picturing them with a huge pile of fried chicken and the two of your left to share a single drumstick or something.
Kinda? Two couples, two half orders at our favorite fried chicken place. Should be pretty simple, right? I took a thigh/wing and wife took a breast when the food got there. The other couple took both legs...ok, that's annoying, but I least I get two thighs then! Nope, he takes the thigh too so I'm down to either a breast (which I don't eat) or a wing. Guy takes the breast, OK cool. Then two seconds before I take the wing, he takes it and immediately chomps into it. So basically, homie gets a half-chicken to himself (his wife only had the leg), while the rest of us split a half.

It's really not about the chicken, per se. But not even a "hey are y'all finished" before he takes the rest.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:07 pm
Giff wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:03 pm Kind of concerned how annoyed the wife and I are at one of our friends and their terrible math at our favorite fried chicken place last weekend.
If it's about tipping I got confused at Hood to Coast and was going to leave no tip (we were splitting the bill), then noticed tommyboy staying behind to put cash on the table.

Was that at the Cheerful Tortoise? RIP, sniff
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:32 pm
A_B wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Was that at the Cheerful Tortoise? RIP, sniff
No, it was just after I landed and we met somewhere downtown. It was Bob, his mom I think, and Tommyboy. We had yet to experience the Delightful Porpoise.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:19 pm
mister d wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:08 pm I'm picturing them with a huge pile of fried chicken and the two of your left to share a single drumstick or something.
Kinda? Two couples, two half orders at our favorite fried chicken place. Should be pretty simple, right? I took a thigh/wing and wife took a breast when the food got there. The other couple took both legs...ok, that's annoying, but I least I get two thighs then! Nope, he takes the thigh too so I'm down to either a breast (which I don't eat) or a wing. Guy takes the breast, OK cool. Then two seconds before I take the wing, he takes it and immediately chomps into it. So basically, homie gets a half-chicken to himself (his wife only had the leg), while the rest of us split a half.

It's really not about the chicken, per se. But not even a "hey are y'all finished" before he takes the rest.
Da fuq?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Thought all the rules get worked out beforehand.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:14 pm Thought all the rules get worked out beforehand.
This is funny.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:56 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:14 pm Thought all the rules get worked out beforehand.
This is funny.
Know what? Another gold star! Graphic Content having themselves a day.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:26 am LFG!!!!

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:34 am I'm guessing drywall and Bang energy drinks will be supplied upon arrival?
So, yes.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Today is the final day for REI's big yearly sale and I gotta say, the stuff on the shelf is so expensive that the 20%+ discounts don't really make up for it.

It's been a little while since I've gone, but they now have numerous racks full of Vuori bullshit. That was so damn disappointing to see.

And of course my Instagram feed is giving me Vuori ads as I scroll at the moment.