Washington DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Washington DC

Post by sancarlos »

There might be an existing thread appropriate here, but I couldn’t find one so I started this.

My 22 year-old daughter has had a couple interviews with a federal agency for a job in DC, located near Union Station. She thinks a job offer might be forthcoming.

If she gets an offer and decides to move there, she will need to find an apartment in an area that is safe, a reasonable commute, affordable, and hopefully fun.

I don’t know anything about the area, so your input would be appreciated.
Last edited by sancarlos on Tue May 16, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Washington DC

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:15 pm There might be an existing thread appropriate here, but I couldn’t find one so I started this.

My 22 year-old daughter has had a couple interviews with a federal agency for a job in DC, located near Union Station. She thinks a job offer might be forthcoming.

If she gets an offer and decides to move there, she will need to find an apartment in an area that is safe, a reasonable commute, affordable, and hopefully fun.

I don’t know anything about the area, so your input would be appreciated.
Where she wants to live will be expensive...She will be very metro accessible if she gets a job there. But DC has good bike, bus, and scooter setups. Neighborhoods

Image-VA off the Orange LIne- Rosalyn, Courthouse, Clarendon, VA Square, Ballston are metro stops with lots of apartments, shopping, food, etc. Off the Blue/Yellow line you have Pentagon City and Crystal City/National Landing (new name where Amazon HQ2 is)...You can also do the bus to metro pretty easily from Shirlington/Fairlington. Farther out VA will be less expensive (but less attractive for lifestyle)
-MD you end up in Silver Spring, Bethesda (or inside that on the redline) . Both are redline into the city. Again cheaper options the farther out the red line you go but you trade off lifestyle.
-DC you have options on Capitol Hill, SE Waterfront/Navy Yard (near Baseball and soccer stadium), Foggy Bottom (near GW), H-street, and Adams Morgan. Some folks head up towards American University and Catholic University but Catholic to Capital Hill has some less gentrified areas.

Don't go to the Other side of the Anacostia.

Message me if you need more....There are lots of good places and options.
Last edited by wlu_lax6 on Fri May 19, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The red line jumped into my head as soon as you said reasonably affordable rent. Unless you want to drop over $3k/mo to live near Union Station.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

By the thread title I thought it got nuked.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

the swamp got drained!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My oldest lives in Eckington, which is just there just over a mile or so from union station. They have ridden scooters and bikes to the stations.

They have 4 people living there so it's pretty similar to Boston rent-wise, but would have to be shared I would think (depending on the job!). Mine didn't know any roommates when they got there but found a Facebook page that was people looking for roommates. It's a decent enough place now that the landlord has fixed some stuff that had fallen into disrepair while the previous tenants lived there for nearly 10 years.

I don't think there is much issue being able to get around, just how much of a commute you have. Because parking at places of business is insane (though I assume most decent sized cities this is true) a car isn't a necessity. We gave ours my old car and it's nice to get around to the outskirts when needed or for bringing groceries/etc. back home. It WILL get bumper dings at a minimum.

I can ask if they'd be willing to talk/text/whatever kids do these days if yours wanted a little local knowledge from, you know, not 40-50 year old men.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

whats on the other side of the anacostia?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm thinking a "Swamper Kids as Roommates" thread!!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:16 am whats on the other side of the anacostia?
While there are positive signs in the last decade or so, the other side of Anacostia (and out Rt. 50 going towards Prince George's County) are where the vast majority of shootings, robberies, carjacking, etc. occur in DC. You can still run into issues in some of the rapidly gentrifying parts of the city (I'm looking at you Shaw), but you are asking for trouble setting up shop in Anacostia (it's across the river, but that's what the area is called.)

I would just add that anything up the Bethesda side of the red line is going to be pricey, but you can look for bargains in Woodley Park, Van Ness and up by American U (called AU by everyone) in the Tenleytown and Friendship Heights area. Past that... $$$.

The Orange Line with Clarendon and the other spots mentioned is a great option, as many of those communities were built up around the Metro (which isn't really the case in MD.) And the demographics are good for young professionals.

I would also note that Silver Spring is a real up-and-comer in terms of things to do and new apartments popping up. Takoma Park is a nuclear free zone and is much more of a residential type vibe, but it's quirky and you could probably find cheap rental homes if you go in with a group.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I would also just add, Pentagon City and Crystal City are pretty soulless (no offense to anyone)... Just my opinion. Alexandria is very nice but also pretty expensive. I'm not familiar with things further down that part of the Metro system, but going out there or out past Tyson's Corner... Not really great in terms of young professional trying to experience the city.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, thanks guys! If she gets the offer, I’ll show her this thread!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I second looking in Silver Spring.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:53 am I'm thinking a "Swamper Kids as Roommates" thread!!
That'd make a fantastic spinoff sitcom!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:37 pm
Giff wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:53 am I'm thinking a "Swamper Kids as Roommates" thread!!
Me and SC end up in dire straits and have to move in with them. GOLD.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:39 pm
Mike Tirico wrote:You can pick your roommate, but you can’t pick your dad.

SCAB! A new comedy coming to Peacock this fall.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:39 pm
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Season 9, Episode 12: The one where SC and AB watch old DVDs because they can't find the right app.

HOLY SHIT. "SC/AB". SCAB. Did you do that on purpose? Your genius knows no bounds.

I give you two gold stars from my personal collection.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If they weren't both dead, I'd say we should get Norman Fell and Andy Griffith to play us!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:18 pm If they weren't both dead, I'd say we should get Norman Fell and Andy Griffith to play us!
Shoot, the AI bots can handle that.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'd name it "Bonded", which is a little more family-friendly.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:30 am I second looking in Silver Spring.
third!

but be careful... SS extends pretty far north towards olney, stick close to ss station
i grew up in ss so biased.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, great point. Silver Spring is kind of a stupid geographic designation. Definitely want to do a radius that spreads out from the Metro station.