The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Craft Beer Thread

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like Bend, Oregon. 30 breweries in that small town. The ones we visited were quite good..
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:57 am it's actually extremely easy to control (except for maybe wild ales, where the sour flavor develops due to using wild yeasts or exposing beer to natural organisms in the air as opposed to lab created yeast).
Pretty easy to mellow it out by mixing vintages etc.

I'm thinking of trying a small wild ale in our backyard. We have a "wild" swath behind our house for animals to move between open space. I did a a kettle sour last summer that was really really good. Tart, but balanced with some vegan lactose alternatives and lots of mango (8 lbs for 5 gallons.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:18 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:55 am Charlottesville and the surrounding area is REALLY good for breweries. Devil's Backbone has one of the coolest breweries/restaurants I've been to in many years. There's even a campsite on property. My son and BIL want to stay there this summer.
That area is crazy with all the wineries and breweries. Bold Rock is down the street. We hit a few places down there over the summer during our last visit. Hazy Mountain is an insane facility for being brand new.
Sucks..my east coast beer brothers and I were gonna hit Charlottesville for a long weekend (even had tickets to some BBQ fest!) then COVID happened, one of them (RSL a once Swamper and a still Bensell League guy) had a rare tumour (they wrote a paper and my mom's partner who's a PA was like he had what???) that has laid him up a lot since. Hopefully, we can reschedule soon.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm Sit down, motherfuckers. (This should really be in the North Jersey thread but I'm already here.) Beer hall, humorously named "Pump House", coming to South Orange Ave, but not until 2017. Pre-fired up.
Searching something else and found this. It soft opened like two months ago and no one seems to be overly excited with the menus. Maybe when the weather is nicer and the outdoor area is open.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 am
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm Sit down, motherfuckers. (This should really be in the North Jersey thread but I'm already here.) Beer hall, humorously named "Pump House", coming to South Orange Ave, but not until 2017. Pre-fired up.
Searching something else and found this. It soft opened like two months ago and no one seems to be overly excited with the menus. Maybe when the weather is nicer and the outdoor area is open.
The only beer halls that I've repeatedly gone to are Falling Rock (RIP) which had a fantastic tap list, and the Colorado Keg House which is CO only beers and usually has a pretty good line up and the trivia game is tight. Most suck and have 17 of the same flagship shite from the big brewery that isn't really good but you get once in while cause it's a buddy you don't care for all that much's BBQ type beers.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is absolutely shaping up to be one of those corporate disasters. They have a pretty small and well regarded NJ brewery on the list for $27 for a liter, $14 for a half. Then $9 for a solid NJ brewery for a half but $13 for Modelo Especial and $15 for a tall boy of fucking Flower Power? Just a mess of a menu that doesn't give much confidence in the whole.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm This is absolutely shaping up to be one of those corporate disasters. They have a pretty small and well regarded NJ brewery on the list for $27 for a liter, $14 for a half. Then $9 for a solid NJ brewery for a half but $13 for Modelo Especial and $15 for a tall boy of fucking Flower Power? Just a mess of a menu that doesn't give much confidence in the whole.
Since when do we hold back on the Jersey-specific details on this board? Looked at their website, beautiful space, I'll check that out in the Spring or Summer. I'm assuming the well regarded brewery is Source and solid is Brotherton? There were several other NJ breweries there, but I'm guessing you ignored Flying Fish and Jersey Girl.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pmI'm assuming the well regarded brewery is Source and solid is Brotherton?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Source can be a little hit or miss, but they make some extremely interesting beers, and much more hits for me than misses. I'm not always a fan of milkshake IPAs, but Sources are amazing.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting. I've only had them once, I think, and really liked it but it definitely wasn't a milkshake.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm Interesting. I've only had them once, I think, and really liked it but it definitely wasn't a milkshake.
I've had a couple Source sours that were good, a nitro stout called cinnamon roll with cream cheese, cinnamon and a bunch of other additives that was fantastic. A milkshake IPA inspired by a dessert called Mango Sticky Rice. That one was great. I just got their Black IPA (I love the style) which was top notch. I checked Untappt, I only have 7 listed, but I know I missed a few. Their IPAs are good, but nothing special.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Anyone get their ultra right conservative dad beer yet? Just $20 for a six pack (30+ after shipping)! Available in a month or so. Probably two infringements on Budweiser's brands and maybe even a third (reusing footage from AB, "Ultra" which may not be protected, and "only 4 ingredients" which Bud ran a big campaign for).

Also, it's just 4% ABV. And 110 calories. So exactly bud light I suppose.

I'm not linking to the ad because fuck them but it's all over twitter being rightfully (leftfully?) mocked.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When I saw this thread bumped, I knew what it was going to be. The video is amazing.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:32 am Anyone get their ultra right conservative dad beer yet? Just $20 for a six pack (30+ after shipping)! Available in a month or so. Probably two infringements on Budweiser's brands and maybe even a third (reusing footage from AB, "Ultra" which may not be protected, and "only 4 ingredients" which Bud ran a big campaign for).

I'm not linking to the ad because fuck them but it's all over twitter being rightfully (leftfully?) mocked.
"Tastes like freedom!" You know what else tastes like freedom? Not getting upset when someone lives their authentic life in a way that doesn't remotely hurt you. FUCK OFF, ASSHOLES! I can't comprehend how any of these assholes would care that Bud Light paid some influencer most of them had never heard of before. How is that hurting anyone? Why would they fucking care?

Shooting cases of Bud Light with a semi-automatic rifle looks really fun.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm going to a music festival in Georgetown, TX, this weekend where he is playing. Luckily I won't be there for him, but am interested in hearing the response. I hope 100% share the sentiment of a Twitter friend of mine I'm meeting there "can't wait to throw Bud Light cans at Travis Tritt!"
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:32 am Anyone get their ultra right conservative dad beer yet? Just $20 for a six pack (30+ after shipping)! Available in a month or so. Probably two infringements on Budweiser's brands and maybe even a third (reusing footage from AB, "Ultra" which may not be protected, and "only 4 ingredients" which Bud ran a big campaign for).

When I first saw the video I honestly thought it was a parody
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The throw kills me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:10 am

"Tastes like freedom!" You know what else tastes like freedom? Not getting upset when someone lives their authentic life in a way that doesn't remotely hurt you. FUCK OFF, ASSHOLES! I can't comprehend how any of these assholes would care that Bud Light paid some influencer most of them had never heard of before. How is that hurting anyone? Why would they fucking care?

Shooting cases of Bud Light with a semi-automatic rifle looks really fun.
It's all a numbers game. Once a few prominent assholes start the hatred train, the rest feel free to dive into the pool. They don't even care, really, they just love to be a bigot out in the open like this.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:55 pm
mister d wrote:Westbrook's Mexican Cake was really good but the bomber size made it rough when Missus D decided it wasn't her thing. 12 would have been enough.
Until now, I thought Cheddah posted this. Where did you find it? I found it today at The Filling Station in Chelsea Market. If any of you are in NYC, Chelsea Market is a great place to get a meal or any food related items. The Filling Station has taps and sells growlers and 16oz jars. You can drink it in the market and return the jar for a $2 refund, or keep it. The best part about the jar with a dark black beer, it looked like coffee. I bought it for the road, and walked the streets with the family openly sipping away. The beer was amazing. Cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and habaneros in a strong Imperial Stout. This is probably the first time I actually liked a beer with hot peppers in it. The habanero was a slight tingle and taste that crept in at the end.

I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker this weekend. Great beer, but probably would have been better with a little less bitterness. Fitting name, as I couldn't follow it up with any other beer.
Took 8 years after this post but made it to Chelsea market. Pretty sure everyplace sold beer? Bakeries, restaurants, clothing stores, candy stores…. Chaperoning a bunch of weiner kids so no alcohol, and didn’t know we were going so ate lunch prior, but got a pretty good milkshake and want to go back sometime.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did the taco place have an insane line?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yes!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eater fucking loves that place. Its definitely good, but I think I'm too american where I like zanier tacos with more toppings involved.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I posted in the Denver travel thread, but just in case...

Went to Briar Common on the weekend and had one of the better IPA's I've had in many years. Called Hoptamism (not a name unique to them, btw) and it was bright, clean and not too hoppy. I didn't spend a ton of time looking, but I don't think they're set up to sell commercially.

For the locals, it's right across from Jefferson Park, about 2.5 blocks from Mile High. Food looked good, but we'd just had pizza at Happy Camper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The IPA at a music festival I attended this past weekend was called McConaughaze.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:21 pm I posted in the Denver travel thread, but just in case...

Went to Briar Common on the weekend and had one of the better IPA's I've had in many years. Called Hoptamism (not a name unique to them, btw) and it was bright, clean and not too hoppy. I didn't spend a ton of time looking, but I don't think they're set up to sell commercially.

For the locals, it's right across from Jefferson Park, about 2.5 blocks from Mile High. Food looked good, but we'd just had pizza at Happy Camper.
Been a few years since I've been there but the food is good. It's a regular stop for my alumni association's bike-and-brew tour.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:14 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:55 pm
mister d wrote:Westbrook's Mexican Cake was really good but the bomber size made it rough when Missus D decided it wasn't her thing. 12 would have been enough.
Until now, I thought Cheddah posted this. Where did you find it? I found it today at The Filling Station in Chelsea Market. If any of you are in NYC, Chelsea Market is a great place to get a meal or any food related items. The Filling Station has taps and sells growlers and 16oz jars. You can drink it in the market and return the jar for a $2 refund, or keep it. The best part about the jar with a dark black beer, it looked like coffee. I bought it for the road, and walked the streets with the family openly sipping away. The beer was amazing. Cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon and habaneros in a strong Imperial Stout. This is probably the first time I actually liked a beer with hot peppers in it. The habanero was a slight tingle and taste that crept in at the end.

I had a Green Flash Palate Wrecker this weekend. Great beer, but probably would have been better with a little less bitterness. Fitting name, as I couldn't follow it up with any other beer.
Took 8 years after this post but made it to Chelsea market. Pretty sure everyplace sold beer? Bakeries, restaurants, clothing stores, candy stores…. Chaperoning a bunch of weiner kids so no alcohol, and didn’t know we were going so ate lunch prior, but got a pretty good milkshake and want to go back sometime.
Wow, blast from the past. Probably the most excited I ever was to find a beer on tap, and it lived up to the hype. Now I see that beer on the shelves and it sits for two years. Damned shame. I'll pick one up every now and then, as it's still a great beer. Inspired me to drink a habanero and pineapple IPA in my fridge.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:09 pm Eater fucking loves that place. Its definitely good, but I think I'm too american where I like zanier tacos with more toppings involved.
Eater, mister D and syb all too scared to come to the U for great tacos during the summer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:34 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:09 pm Eater fucking loves that place. Its definitely good, but I think I'm too american where I like zanier tacos with more toppings involved.
Eater, mister D and syb all too scared to come to the U for great tacos during the summer.
Let’s do it!
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:21 pm I posted in the Denver travel thread, but just in case...

Went to Briar Common on the weekend and had one of the better IPA's I've had in many years.
I think you said you were visiting more frequently you'd be wise to hit up Comrade Brewing. (Some of) the best IPAs around (non-haze.) ORB in SIlverthorne is very good haze and other stuff if you hit the mountains.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I am basically out here through the end of May. Flying back for in-person work stuff a couple of weeks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 am
Sat inside at the bar this evening, very open air with the doors and windows wide open. Got the pretzel and the potato app and a couple of drinks. The bartender talked me into mine and intentionally or not didn’t bill me for it so I tipped 50%. My wife loved the vibe and we would go back.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Huh. I’ve been twice, wife three times and we’ve never thought it was better than just fine. Might be because we were hoping for a better menu and a place to hang out with kids and so far it doesn’t really seem like either. Had I known you were coming here I would have suggested the place with the name I’m blanking on whose 2nd level deck is parallel to the train platform. Really good food from what we tried and a good list.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Picked up a six of The Sierra Nevada Hoptimim TIPA tonight, just cause. Damn it's smmmooooth for 10+%

There's Hill Farmstead kegs dropping all over CO. We have weekend kid shit this weekend, then my wife is out of town most of next week. I saw there was a couple of kegs in Breck tapped today. We go to our condo on Thursday next week. I pray locals don't know (ski peeps aren't up there now.)

Nonlinear save me some if you hit the mountains.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:09 pm Picked up a six of The Sierra Nevada Hoptimim TIPA tonight, just cause. Damn it's smmmooooth for 10+%

There's Hill Farmstead kegs dropping all over CO. We have weekend kid shit this weekend, then my wife is out of town most of next week. I saw there was a couple of kegs in Breck tapped today. We go to our condo on Thursday next week. I pray locals don't know (ski peeps aren't up there now.)

Nonlinear save me some if you hit the mountains.
I saw a posting from CSA the other day that Arthur bottles were dropping as well
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:45 pm Huh. I’ve been twice, wife three times and we’ve never thought it was better than just fine. Might be because we were hoping for a better menu and a place to hang out with kids and so far it doesn’t really seem like either. Had I known you were coming here I would have suggested the place with the name I’m blanking on whose 2nd level deck is parallel to the train platform. Really good food from what we tried and a good list.
The menu is definitely limited so I can see that being an issue, but even though we had been discussing eating outdoors, by the time my wife got home she said she was getting chilly so the wide open inside bar was perfect, The bartender was super nice (free drink? and let my wife try the wine he suggested before committing) and there were a ton of kids running around outside. Three little boys came into the bar to watch Judge’s first AB and lost their shit when he hit the HR, along with some dude wearing a NOB Judge jersey at the bar.

If you remember what place you’re talking about mention it here or the NNJ thread.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Osteria del Corso. Name is much fancier than the place. They have indoor bocce.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Any thoughts on Singlecut? They opened a taproom (The Singlecut Barn) within walking distance of our house. The local proprietors are trustworthy (they ran the wood-fired pizza and beer restaurant in town for several years before selling it), but are now linked with Singlecut.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Singlecut is a wee but hipster for my taste, but have some solid brews. Especially nice for a neighbourhood spot.