Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:37 am Think DSafe and I were the only ones watching it but it looked like Snowfall was gonna stick the landing then it didn’t? I don’t know I haven’t decided. There were no winners in the drug war but the martyrs don’t win shit either.
I’m the other Snowfall guy, Bri.

I assume that was supposed to be Boyz in the Hood that was filming in the finale?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:53 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:59 pmThe motherfucker put a full page ad in the LA Times with pretty much nothing but "Thank You" on the page.
"You're Welcome" ... showed my wife this when I was trying to explain how, yes, the character is preposterous, but you have to understand the real-life guy they're basing it off.
Greatest Tweet of all time?

Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:52 pm
brian wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:37 am Think DSafe and I were the only ones watching it but it looked like Snowfall was gonna stick the landing then it didn’t? I don’t know I haven’t decided. There were no winners in the drug war but the martyrs don’t win shit either.
I’m the other Snowfall guy, Bri.

I assume that was supposed to be Boyz in the Hood that was filming in the finale?
Yeah, that was a nice touch to honor John Singleton at the end of the show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Should have our own ITYSL thread but nonetheless.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just saw Coach Beard playing a random townperson in Parks & Rec (S2E14).

Sans beard.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:11 pm Just saw Coach Beard playing a random townperson in Parks & Rec (S2E14).

Sans beard.
Yeah saw that one recently too. That is such a great show.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Been binging Barry last month or so to catch up as I had stopped after season 1.

Holy hell what an awesome and strange show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm Not sure we deserve Joe Pera but glad he exists.
Look for “Drifting off with Joe Pera” on your podcast delivery app of choice. It’s great. I missed him.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

[+] spoiler
Just watched The Strings That Bind Us and tomorrow is the anniversary of my Dad's death, so when Sam's dad came in toward the end I absolutely lost it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:11 pm GaTa on "Dave" is one of the best television characters of the last couple decades. There's a much better show about him in there.
Still true.

I just can't square something from the "#RIPLilDicky" episode (season three, episode six).
[+] spoiler
Dave reads his career manifesto, including wanting to become a huge success organically without selling his soul, yet using a "lie" to actually do it. It's basically George Constanza's "it's not a lie if you believe it" stretched to a much farther endpoint, but it would feel better if they at least acknowledged it instead of trying to make you believe he's actually not selling his soul. You could argue that he's doing it to help many people close to him, as GaTa, Mike, Elz, and Emma should reap significant financial benefits from his success, but at the same time, it's clear he is doing it for himself, as explained in his manifesto.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Finished Shrinking.

Loved stoned, grumpy Harrison Ford with a heart of gold. Loved D-Train and have a crush on G-Spot. Jason Segal's way too-expressive big dumb face even stopped bothering me.

My one big qualm, and I guess I more or less got over it, is the whole "Jimmy abandoned his parental responsibilities (but not his work responsibilities?) and his best friend for a year but then decided to sober up enough that over the course of a day or two he was completely forgiven and everything went more or less back to normal (except dead wife) and the best friend he cruelly ghosted was back hanging out every day either at Jimmy's house or his place of employment and his daughter was cool with him except when getting really upset at him over issues that seem relatively mundane compared to her father spending a year drugging and whoring after his wife/her mom dies".
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:21 am Finished Shrinking.

Loved stoned, grumpy Harrison Ford with a heart of gold. Loved D-Train and have a crush on G-Spot. Jason Segal's way too-expressive big dumb face even stopped bothering me.

My one big qualm, and I guess I more or less got over it, is the whole "Jimmy abandoned his parental responsibilities (but not his work responsibilities?) and his best friend for a year but then decided to sober up enough that over the course of a day or two he was completely forgiven and everything went more or less back to normal (except dead wife) and the best friend he cruelly ghosted was back hanging out every day either at Jimmy's house or his place of employment and his daughter was cool with him except when getting really upset at him over issues that seem relatively mundane compared to her father spending a year drugging and whoring after his wife/her mom dies".
Agree with all of the above and would add that the daughter doesn't seem much younger than Jimmy, best friend, and G-spot. Went and checked and IRL the actress' real age isn't all that out of place (born in 2001 to Segel's 1980).
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:34 am

Agree with all of the above and would add that the daughter doesn't seem much younger than Jimmy, best friend, and G-spot. Went and checked and IRL the actress' real age isn't all that out of place (born in 2001 to Segel's 1980).
[+] spoiler
Well, given the show allowed Gaby to graphically encourage HS junior (at most?) Alice's flirting with Sean even though the character is in his mid-20's the actress couldn't look too young.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:45 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:34 am

[+] spoiler
Well, given the show allowed Gaby to graphically encourage HS junior (at most?) Alice's flirting with Sean even though the character is in his mid-20's the actress couldn't look too young.
At least they didn't go full Gabrielle Carteris with the casting.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I dunno, do we really agree that the daughter "over night" just forgave dad and moved on?

I remember somewhere in the middle of the season thinking "don't get annoyed with how intransigent she's being, dad was on a full year bender prior to 'us' showing up to see all of this." Because I was getting pretty annoyed with here 4 or 5 episodes in.

That may be some projection going on, I dunno.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Whether it's Scrubs, Ted Lasso, or Shrinking, I think there's a decent amount of disbelief suspension that you have to account for in Bill Lawrence shows.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:04 am Whether it's Scrubs, Ted Lasso, or Shrinking, I think there's a decent amount of disbelief suspension that you have to account for in Bill Lawrence shows.
Sometimes you gotta be a goldfish.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s almost that time, folks!!!!

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Edibles lined up for a weekend marathon!
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Well, Platonic (Apple TV+) had me at
[+] spoiler
cum button
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched the first episode of Platonic last night. Some very funny jokes, but they did a poor job of trying to convince me that the characters played by Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen were ever best friends. I like Rogen a lot, too, so I wanted to like this show.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Also watched the first episode of High Desert. Liked it a lot better.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:26 pm Also watched the first episode of High Desert. Liked it a lot better.
Patricia Arquette’s boobs are a national treasure.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So the Lasso discourse elsewhere (I’m afraid to click the spoilers here) seems not great and we’re so far behind I don’t know what the latest episode is but I loved the Amsterdam episode. And Rebecca has never looked better.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I liked the new Ted Lasso episode, fwiw.
[+] spoiler
Really loved Ted’s speech about second chances and Beard’s speech about forgiveness.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 pm And Rebecca has never looked better.
The Rebecca walking-away shots are grand.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:22 pm Watched the first episode of Platonic last night. Some very funny jokes, but they did a poor job of trying to convince me that the characters played by Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen were ever best friends. I like Rogen a lot, too, so I wanted to like this show.
I'm watching it right now.

The problem is they're not in Grosse Pointe Blank where one friend (steeped in burgeoning nostalgia) descends upon another (swimming in it).
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm So, late to the party as usual, but the wife and I have been binging The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. The first season was great. The second, not so much (imho).
Watched the finale. The storyline petered out, but there was still so much to like. Tony Shalhoub is brilliant (actually all of the parents/inlaws are great) and Reid Scott has really nailed the pompous asshole role.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sooooooo Barry?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:04 pmSooooooo Barry?
I'm multiple seasons behind
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:04 pmSooooooo Barry?
I liked the ending. Felt like the end all the characters had “earned”.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Thoughts on Lasso?

I have some little nitpicks, but did enjoy the general tying up and the call backs/easter eggs.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:24 am Thoughts on Lasso?

I have some little nitpicks, but did enjoy the general tying up and the call backs/easter eggs.
I agree with that. A bit schmaltzy at times, but satisfying, overall.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 am

Agree. If the show is done done then probably can’t complain. But I suspect they’ll try to do a zombie Ted Lasso for another season or two. Apple TV doesn’t really have any other hits and they’re likely to throw a metric fuckton of money at the producers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:53 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:44 am

Agree. If the show is done done then probably can’t complain. But I suspect they’ll try to do a zombie Ted Lasso for another season or two. Apple TV doesn’t really have any other hits and they’re likely to throw a metric fuckton of money at the producers.
In interviews, they've all said it was planned as a 3 year story arc from the start.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

But they also said they wouldn’t rule out a spin-off.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:42 pm But they also said they wouldn’t rule out a spin-off.
[+] spoiler
Women’s team will be the spin-off with Keelayh as the gm. The black girl who Ted plays soccer in the park with in season one comes back a là Bend it Like Beckham.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Not ashamed to say I bawled throughout most of the episode figuring it was the last one. I thought it was well done and the schmaltziness of it all is really what the series was all about.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:17 pm Not ashamed to say I bawled throughout most of the episode figuring it was the last one. I thought it was well done and the schmaltziness of it all is really what the series was all about.
Yeah, I really liked season 3. It wasn't as good as S1 and it didn't really have much conflict, but it was still an enjoyable and funny watch.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Three words: The Driving Crooner
Canadian International