Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:38 pm Any recommendations?
My recommendation is to not do any of that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Holy shit I didn't know this (ductless range hoods) was a thing
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Not sure I follow why the range being 8" deeper than the hood would matter tho
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Steve on his Gordon Ramsay
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like I'd want to hear that fan in action. $99 and only two diff speeds would concern me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 am Holy shit I didn't know this (ductless range hoods) was a thing
Yeah, me either. I can't imagine that model is very effective, especially at $99. I know when we redid our kitchen, the contractor refused to replace the over-the-stove microwave with a built-in exhaust fan. The stove was next to an external wall, so it was a very short run to vent, but he said they aren't effective and strongly encouraged a hood.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That job’s (most jobs) way beyond my pay grade. I have nothing further to add.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:37 am
Gunpowder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:00 am Holy shit I didn't know this (ductless range hoods) was a thing
Yeah, me either. I can't imagine that model is very effective, especially at $99. I know when we redid our kitchen, the contractor refused to replace the over-the-stove microwave with a built-in exhaust fan. The stove was next to an external wall, so it was a very short run to vent, but he said they aren't effective and strongly encouraged a hood.
This looks good at spraying oil and soot on various other surfaces of your kitchen.

Get a real hood if you're upgrading.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We have a hood that is not vented. We are in a n all electric neighborhood so I don’t think they are required. It doesn’t work very well but we also rarely have to use it for anything other than operator error
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah, this has only become an issue since my purchase a couple years ago of a bunch of cast iron cookware from LeCreuset. Whenever I cook with it, the dog heads upstairs for better air. :lol:

The oven's on a shared wall (row house), so if we did it the proper way with a vented range hood, it'd need to either connect to a duct that maps to the other side of the kitchen (13 feet?), or up and out underneath the upstairs dryer vent I had installed this past winter.

Question: do you need an exhaust fan at the end point of the duct (to outside the house) in addition to the fan that sucks up the steam/grease? I can't imagine they'd be fun to clean out.

Question 2: What's more important? That the duct be on a shortest path to outside the house, or a straighter path? Cuz I'm looking at a 90 degree angle at some point (or a diagonal vent along a bedroom wall).
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Or, if the path is ideally straight, then I'm looking at a roof exit.

I need some professional advice.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:57 pm
This looks good at spraying oil and soot on various other surfaces of your kitchen.

No doubt, I'll just run it 40 floors straight up through everyone else's kitchen.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:55 am

No doubt, I'll just run it 40 floors straight up through everyone else's kitchen.
That's the spirit, fuckem.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:55 am

Good point, can't remember what I had when I lived in apartments.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It makes too much sense to me now.

I’m going to have someone install a vent system that runs between the joists above the kitchen ceiling. The range hood’s fan will suck up all the smoke / moisture / debris and send it out the duct flapper thingy on the western wall.

Too easy.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am It makes too much sense to me now.

I’m going to have someone install a vent system that runs between the joists above the kitchen ceiling. The range hood’s fan will suck up all the smoke / moisture / debris and send it out the duct flapper thingy on the western wall.

Too easy.
Wait so standard operating procedure is not open windows and doors and running around flapping dish towels so the smoke detector does not go off....huh...interesting.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 am
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am It makes too much sense to me now.

Too easy.

Wait so standard operating procedure is not open windows and doors and running around flapping dish towels so the smoke detector does not go off....huh...interesting.
That’s how I was raised.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So basically I still need to install a vented range hood, but what helped immensely was to switch to a refined coconut oil rather than use the unrefined variant. The smoke point on the refined oil is much higher, and ideal for sautéing meats.

Good grief.

The more you know.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:43 pm So basically I still need to install a vented range hood, but what helped immensely was to switch to a refined coconut oil rather than use the unrefined variant. The smoke point on the refined oil is much higher, and ideal for sautéing meats.

Good grief.

The more you know.
Been looking for a good cooking oil for searing on a cast iron skillet. Olive oil burns too easily, I can't stand the taste of canola or vegetable oil.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:29 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:43 pm So basically I still need to install a vented range hood, but what helped immensely was to switch to a refined coconut oil rather than use the unrefined variant. The smoke point on the refined oil is much higher, and ideal for sautéing meats.

Good grief.

The more you know.
Been looking for a good cooking oil for searing on a cast iron skillet. Olive oil burns too easily, I can't stand the taste of canola or vegetable oil.
I'm going to be trying peanut oil and corn oil this week.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Good link to catch up on the types of cooking oils (and the type of cooking you should do with them).
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can also mix olive oil and canola or something else with a higher smoking point at like 1:3 or 1:4 so you get the flavor and the functionality.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Coconut oil cooks pretty mild right? I think you have to use more of it though.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:00 pm Coconut oil cooks pretty mild right? I think you have to use more of it though.
Volume won't matter. Smoke point = boiling point, where the substance ceases to be of (effective) use.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:48 pm You can also mix olive oil and canola or something else with a higher smoking point at like 1:3 or 1:4 so you get the flavor and the functionality.
That's interesting. I don't know if I have a favorite to cling to enough instead of just finding one that solves my problem.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Isn't plenty of olive oil already diluted with some other oil?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:55 am Isn't plenty of olive oil already diluted with some other oil?
It shouldn't be, as long as it isn't like a Great Value brand or something

EDIT: SCANDAL! FRAUD! LE HORROR

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... real-thing
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My fridge, which I prefer to be on, is off. I’ve checked the outlet and breaker and they’re fine so it’s definitely the fridge itself. Next move is …
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:37 pm My fridge, which I prefer to be on, is off. I’ve checked the outlet and breaker and they’re fine so it’s definitely the fridge itself. Next move is …
Buying a new one? Before we redid the kitchen in the old house, we had a built in Sub-Zero made in 1985. The dimensions changed since then so replacement wasn’t an option. Based on a lot of factors, replacing the fridge meant having to redo the entire kitchen. We had a protection plan with PSE&G where they would repair all kitchen appliances. They replaced every single component in that fridge, one at a time. No charge, other than the small monthly fee. Actual charges would have been far more than buying a new fridge. Then they smartened up and stopped covering high end appliances.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:37 pm My fridge, which I prefer to be on, is off. I’ve checked the outlet and breaker and they’re fine so it’s definitely the fridge itself. Next move is …
How old is it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its got Jon Benet beat by a few months.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:40 am Its got Jon Benet beat by a few months.
Jon Benet at time of her death or birth/manufacture date? Guessing the former, otherwise it's a clear decision.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, its not quite seven so I'm hoping its a visit and obvious part swap. Anything more and I'll pay the visit fee and order a new one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:40 am Its got Jon Benet beat by a few months.
This was terrible phrasing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone ever use insurance for food lost to a dead fridge?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:49 pm Anyone ever use insurance for food lost to a dead fridge?
No. But make sure to tell them about the racks of caviar and filet mignon you lost!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:49 pm Anyone ever use insurance for food lost to a dead fridge?
Yes but as part of a larger deal related to one of the ice storms. Think we said an amount and the guy said ok
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Would you meat your deductible?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:12 pm
No. But make sure to tell them about the racks of caviar and filet mignon you lost!
I had just stocked the freezer with a trip to Barth's!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:33 am
Buying a new one? Before we redid the kitchen in the old house, we had a built in Sub-Zero made in 1985. The dimensions changed since then so replacement wasn’t an option. Based on a lot of factors, replacing the fridge meant having to redo the entire kitchen. We had a protection plan with PSE&G where they would repair all kitchen appliances. :P They replaced every single component in that fridge, one at a time. No charge, other than the small monthly fee. Actual charges would have been far more than buying a new fridge. Then they smartened up and stopped covering high end appliances.
The Fridge of Theseus
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.