The Live Music thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: The Live Music thread...

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:17 pm I hope y’all love it so much.
I’m already planning on seeing them next time they’re reasonable close. Missed them outside conncinnati I think earlier this year before I had been spinning a lot of their stuff. Might have been columbus.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw Camp Trash again last night. Seeing them in Gainesville in two weeks. Really think Keegan may be one of my favorite guitarists out there right now.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I honestly did not have an opinion on the best live band in America for the past half decade or so but now I do — it’s The Vandoliers.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

They also did something that I’ve only seen Nirvana pull off. They took their best-known song and basically took the piss on it and turned a 3 minute song into a 90 second song and somehow made it better.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 am They also did something that I’ve only seen Nirvana pull off. They took their best-known song and basically took the piss on it and turned a 3 minute song into a 90 second song and somehow made it better.
Which one? So happy you enjoyed it, man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Saw Josh Ritter last month and didn't realize how much of his stuff I really liked. He's an on-again, off-again guy for me, but mainly because I just kinda forget about him. So glad I got to see him live. New album is a lot slower than most of his stuff, but it was nice because it broke up the show a little (and gave the rest of the band a break). Oh, and I guess the Mountain Goats tour is over, at least for now, because Matt Douglas, and all of his various instruments, is touring with Ritter now. So two concerts so far this year, both featuring Douglas.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Reaper wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 am Saw Josh Ritter last month and didn't realize how much of his stuff I really liked. He's an on-again, off-again guy for me, but mainly because I just kinda forget about him. So glad I got to see him live. New album is a lot slower than most of his stuff, but it was nice because it broke up the show a little (and gave the rest of the band a break). Oh, and I guess the Mountain Goats tour is over, at least for now, because Matt Douglas, and all of his various instruments, is touring with Ritter now. So two concerts so far this year, both featuring Douglas.
Matty Bones really gets around (so does Jon Wurster). Pretty sure Matt was with Mountain Goats and Hold Steady in Austin last weekend.

And since you brought him up, here's my absolute favorite Matt Douglas performance.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw the National last night. Solid show, with a bunch of older songs from High Violet mixed in with the new stuff. Beautiful night at a beautiful venue (Marymoor Park).

Opener was Soccer Mommy....who were underwhelming.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:58 am
brian wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:11 am They also did something that I’ve only seen Nirvana pull off. They took their best-known song and basically took the piss on it and turned a 3 minute song into a 90 second song and somehow made it better.
Which one? So happy you enjoyed it, man!
Every Saturday Night
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

I'm seeing Yo La Tengo next week, then R. Plant & A. Krauss, followed by Black Midi in the next month or so.

(Old news, but the last two bands I saw, Jon Spencer and Deerhoof, were both phenomenal)
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

TankFarm2023 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:30 pm I'm seeing Yo La Tengo next week, then R. Plant & A. Krauss, followed by Black Midi in the next month or so.

(Old news, but the last two bands I saw, Jon Spencer and Deerhoof, were both phenomenal)
Welcome back, man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:37 pm
TankFarm2023 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:30 pm I'm seeing Yo La Tengo next week, then R. Plant & A. Krauss, followed by Black Midi in the next month or so.

Welcome back, man.

Thanks!

Life has, unfortunately, been on the shittier side of things of late (too much death!)

The band I'm in has a sweet gig with a great time slot at a posh club this August, and we're thoroughly unprepared. Not terribly conducive to good vibes before we play, as we're largely an improvisational outfit. But, we've shat the bed onstage before, so our friends can at least have a laugh at our expense.

I'll be in Houston for my brother's memorial next week, so at least I'll get to find out about VietCajun cuisine (and get to see Rothko Chapel).
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

TankFarm2023 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:53 pm

Welcome back, man.

Thanks!

Life has, unfortunately, been on the shittier side of things of late (too much death!)

The band I'm in has a sweet gig with a great time slot at a posh club this August, and we're thoroughly unprepared. Not terribly conducive to good vibes before we play, as we're largely an improvisational outfit. But, we've shat the bed onstage before, so our friends can at least have a laugh at our expense.

I'll be in Houston for my brother's memorial next week, so at least I'll get to find out about VietCajun cuisine (and get to see Rothko Chapel).
Very sorry to hear about your brother. If you need any food recs, let me know.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

This is awful - truly sorry to hear about your brother. :(

please let us know where/when your band plays - Swampers gotta support each other!
TankFarm2023 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:53 pm

Welcome back, man.

Thanks!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Condolences man
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best Wishes, TankFarm.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have third row tickets for The Doobie Brothers 50th anniversary tour Friday.

(And yes, for any pedants out there I had to look it up and it’s not technically their 50th but the tour was rescheduled from 2021 because of COVID.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:28 am Have third row tickets for The Doobie Brothers 50th anniversary tour Friday.

(And yes, for any pedants out there I had to look it up and it’s not technically their 50th but the tour was rescheduled from 2021 because of COVID.)
A while back, I read the autobiography of Ted Templeman. He’s the record producer and Warner brothers executive who originally signed and produced the Doobies. The first time he saw them was at a dive biker bar in San Jose. Came a long way from those days!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:28 am Have third row tickets for The Doobie Brothers 50th anniversary tour Friday.

Don't bootleg it.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

A+. so glad someone wrote it.

legendary childhood episode.
Giff wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:17 am

Don't bootleg it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Saw They Might Be Giants recreate their album Flood (postponed from 2020) was excellent. Included playing a song in the first set backwards then projecting it correctly before they came back on for the 2nd set.

Also saw Les Claypools Flying Frog Brigade cover some Pink Floyd (with Roger Water's son on keys/vocals)

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:14 pm Saw They Might Be Giants recreate their album Flood (postponed from 2020) was excellent. Included playing a song in the first set backwards then projecting it correctly before they came back on for the 2nd set.

Also saw Les Claypools Flying Frog Brigade cover some Pink Floyd (with Roger Water's son on keys/vocals)

Flood is such a great record.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If a genie gave me one wish to play any instrument like any artist, it would be to play bass like Les Claypool.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It was a super fantastic show. Haven't seen them in a couple of decades and they were giants as usual.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:26 pm If a genie gave me one wish to play any instrument like any artist, it would be to play bass like Les Claypool.
Of the greats the only bassist that can play and sing is McCartney, everyone else gave everything to "slappin da bass."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:28 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:26 pm If a genie gave me one wish to play any instrument like any artist, it would be to play bass like Les Claypool.
Of the greats the only bassist that can play and sing is McCartney, everyone else gave everything to "slappin da bass."
Huh? There are lots of bassists who are excellent singers!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:30 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:28 pm
Huh? There are lots of bassists who are excellent singers!
GREATS. Squire doesn't sing. Geddy/Les can't really. Phil Lesh? really really can't sing. Lemmy, meh. Geezer doesn't sing. McCartney sings. End of list.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Of course, “great” is a subjective term.

But some “good” singers who play bass that I personally would list would also include
Phil Lynott
Suzi Quatro
Jeff Tweedy (in his Uncle Tupelo era)
Sting
Jack Bruce
Benjamin Orr
Nick Lowe
Geddy Lee
Roger Waters
John Waite
Justin Currie
Willie Dixon
Rick Danko
I’m sure I’m forgetting many others
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Larry Graham
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Doobies can still bring it though I refuse to acknowledge the pre-Michael McDonald iteration as legit.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:00 pm The Doobies can still bring it though I refuse to acknowledge the pre-Michael McDonald iteration as legit.
Yeah I get what you're saying but that's still a horrible take. The Doobies had an Americana groove before Disco McDonald landed.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:15 am
brian wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:00 pm The Doobies can still bring it though I refuse to acknowledge the pre-Michael McDonald iteration as legit.
Yeah I get what you're saying but that's still a horrible take. The Doobies had an Americana groove before Disco McDonald landed.
Yeah, they issued a legit greatest hits album before Michael McDonald joined the band.

I think both eras were good - in different ways.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

boygenius just walked out to The Boys are Back in Town at City Park in NOLA, bitches!
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:57 pm boygenius just walked out to The Boys are Back in Town at City Park in NOLA, bitches!
Wish I had checked this thread first.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I love that you tooked this take even if I disagree.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Date night to go see Philly-based jazz chanteuse Melody Gardot tonight under the stars.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So if you have Hulu, you have access to basically a huge portion of Bonnaroo this weekend.

That means, if you're a late night owl, you can catch the two hour, My Morning Jacket set tonight. It's at 12:30 am CST. So yeah, 1:30 in the morning.

Holy crap I feel old. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:22 pm So if you have Hulu, you have access to basically a huge portion of Bonnaroo this weekend.

That means, if you're a late night owl, you can catch the two hour, My Morning Jacket set tonight. It's at 12:30 am CST. So yeah, 1:30 in the morning.

My family is out of town but I have a hard time staying up past 11 no matter what. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:22 pm So if you have Hulu, you have access to basically a huge portion of Bonnaroo this weekend.

This was such a quick “WHAT … ohhh”.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah I'm getting text messages from an old buddy of mine who is at Bonnaroo this year with his 14 year old son. Shit, maybe he's 16. Kid's a dynamite drummer.

He's basically saying that the VIP AC lounge is saving his behind for the late night sets.
Noli Timere Messorem