Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Crew races are a full production. Drones, multiple cameras, a producer, and multiple commentators taking shifts.

Yesterday one of the guys had the British style lip microphone (think the type Arlo White uses).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:06 pm Boys are in the finals. Will be rowing for a national championship tomorrow. New Trier (Illinois) will likely win..they were very fast. The other 5 boats were all within a second of each other.

My son's race today was insane. They were in 4th pretty far into the race. Managed to find form and make up a full boat length to get 2nd in the heat and move on to the final.
That’s great. And fuck New Trier. (They were our football rival.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:13 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:06 pm Boys are in the finals. Will be rowing for a national championship tomorrow. New Trier (Illinois) will likely win..they were very fast. The other 5 boats were all within a second of each other.

My son's race today was insane. They were in 4th pretty far into the race. Managed to find form and make up a full boat length to get 2nd in the heat and move on to the final.
That’s great. And fuck New Trier. (They were our football rival.)
5th place. Missed a medal by less than a second. Proud of that group as they were in the race the whole way and were the only team that is not a year round squad (VA teams follow the Virginia High School rules even though they are not governed by them summer or fall as a team and winter is rowing machine only).

Also very proud of the 5 kids in my car who went 400+ miles before needing to stop today on the ride home. Oak Ridge, TN to Woodstock, VA...and the only reason we stopped is the van need gas.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

So if you’re coming here from the autism thread…welcome. If you didn’t start there, you should.

So after dinner my oldest is scheduled to go out w his buddies for bowling and whatever. As we pull up to our house the oldest asks the youngest to come bowling with him and his crew. You couldn’t have given Max a better gift. A night away from his parents hanging w neurotypical kids doing fun stuff. My oldest son is a real mensch and so are all of his boys. I told him I’d pick Max up in a few hours and gave him a bunch of $$ to buy the games/shoes/food.

When I went to pick up Max he was all smiles and laughs and told me on the way home how it ended up being an ok bday. I’ll take ok, considering how we spent the morning.

Here’s a picture of the crew bowling last night. Max is happy, they’re a better pic of him smiling, but my oldest looks like he’s being held captive so I will share this one instead.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’m glad it turned out well for him and GREAT job by your oldest.

(and fantastic use of the cross thread reference technique)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Choose your own adventure threads! Everyone should have a big brother like Jack (did I remember his name accurately?). Happy birthday, Max!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice ending to the story! Great job, big brother!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:13 pm Choose your own adventure threads! Everyone should have a big brother like Jack (did I remember his name accurately?). Happy birthday, Max!
Yes, Jack! Thanks!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jack is a great kid from what you’ve shared. Huge props to him and his friends for taking Max out. I remember the days of being home from college, and man, it warms my heart that Jack and his friends took Max out.

Our next door neighbors have a boy my sons age who is good friends with my son, and an autistic boy named Charlie 2 years older. Charlie has suddenly taken an interest in playing volleyball and is training in hopes of playing in a league for special needs kids. I think my proudest moments of watching my kids is how they will never say no when Charlie asks them to practice with him (they have a volleyball net in their yard), and how they take it in stride when Charlie says tings like, “hey, you really suck at volleyball.” Charlie isn’t wrong, he rarely is, he is just brutally honest and has the meanest sarcastic sense of humor, often profanity laced. My daughter loves getting roasted by Charlie. Actually, my proudest moment as a parent was when we first moved in and Charlie’s mother told us he said my kids were his real friends, they weren’t pretending to be his friend like other kids.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:26 pm Jack is a great kid from what you’ve shared. Huge props to him and his friends for taking Max out. I remember the days of being home from college, and man, it warms my heart that Jack and his friends took Max out.

Our next door neighbors have a boy my sons age who is good friends with my son, and an autistic boy named Charlie 2 years older. Charlie has suddenly taken an interest in playing volleyball and is training in hopes of playing in a league for special needs kids. I think my proudest moments of watching my kids is how they will never say no when Charlie asks them to practice with him (they have a volleyball net in their yard), and how they take it in stride when Charlie says tings like, “hey, you really suck at volleyball.” Charlie isn’t wrong, he rarely is, he is just brutally honest and has the meanest sarcastic sense of humor, often profanity laced. My daughter loves getting roasted by Charlie. Actually, my proudest moment as a parent was when we first moved in and Charlie’s mother told us he said my kids were his real friends, they weren’t pretending to be his friend like other kids.
How kids treat other kids really shows who they are. You’ve got two good ones over there.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That’s just great hearing all around. I hope I can get the chance to meet your sons when I catch a game at Camden Yards, as it’s clear you raised them right.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This is all so great to hear.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:22 pm So if you’re coming here from the autism thread…welcome. If you didn’t start there, you should.

So after dinner my oldest is scheduled to go out w his buddies for bowling and whatever. As we pull up to our house the oldest asks the youngest to come bowling with him and his crew. You couldn’t have given Max a better gift. A night away from his parents hanging w neurotypical kids doing fun stuff. My oldest son is a real mensch and so are all of his boys. I told him I’d pick Max up in a few hours and gave him a bunch of $$ to buy the games/shoes/food.

When I went to pick up Max he was all smiles and laughs and told me on the way home how it ended up being an ok bday. I’ll take ok, considering how we spent the morning.

Here’s a picture of the crew bowling last night. Max is happy, they’re a better pic of him smiling, but my oldest looks like he’s being held captive so I will share this one instead.

Great job by your oldest and his friends. And glad that Max had a good evening.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Kind of mad at Jack for making me cry this morning.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m sure it isn’t the first time n
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Happy birthdat belated
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So the coaching staff of the oldest’s HS track team fucked up (HC says there was a family emergency over the weekend) and didn’t submit entries and seed times for the first round of the state track postseason. Deadline was midnight Saturday, but registration opened 5/1.

Latest we’ve heard is that the kids might get to compete, but unseeded. So my kid who would have been seeded 2nd in the 800 and 6th in the 1600 and 1st in the 4x4 will be running in the slowest heats. She needs to finish top 6 overall to qualify for the next round. Doable, but tougher running just against the clock, and she’s worried her time will lay down a target for the seeded girls.

She’s a junior and counting on a big visible spring for college recruiting so she’s pretty devastated. I told her she gets today to be upset but tomorrow we’re on to planning to make the best of it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That coach! What an asshole!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:06 pm That coach! What an asshole!
Holy shit, I am so angry about this! Love the parenting, but I’m going to be pissed about this for more than a day.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

For those of you holding out for a miracle softening of the rules by the state interscholastic sports bureaucracy, the word overnight is that it's not looking good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:27 am For those of you holding out for a miracle softening of the rules by the state interscholastic sports bureaucracy, the word overnight is that it's not looking good.
This is the same organization that for lacrosse they point of emphasis they want officials to focus on this year was proper wearing of eye black. (Just one streak under each eye Timmy). Not protecting players from big hits or technical items that impact the game...but eye black.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:27 am For those of you holding out for a miracle softening of the rules by the state interscholastic sports bureaucracy, the word overnight is that it's not looking good.
I'm well removed from any HS sports parenting days. Jack was never playing for college opportunities or titles. But this pisses me off so much. That a fuck up by the one person who they have trust to look out for them is going to hinder their best efforts. I hope your daughter and her teammates crush every race. Fuck that guy.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fuck that guy indeed. :(

can sort of empathize in a way; i'm in my last weeks of being a parent of a high schooler (would/could be an entirely new depressing/midlife thread) and the stupid hold or influence a coach can have is too much. Mine is stressed beyond belief in great part because of her jackhole track head coach - she has one meet left this weekend and i told her yesterday you can tell him to fuck right off if you want to just bail because of him; he needs you more than the opposite.

bfj wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:21 am
I'm well removed from any HS sports parenting days. Jack was never playing for college opportunities or titles. But this pisses me off so much. That a fuck up by the one person who they have trust to look out for them is going to hinder their best efforts. I hope your daughter and her teammates crush every race. Fuck that guy.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

that sucks Rass, i'm sorry this happened to her and the team.
HS coaches have far too much power... school administrators and state officials tend to be pretty nearsighted.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:40 am That's what it looks like when a soccer player runs track. Nice job kid. But wlulax drone shots makes your vid look like it was shot with a Kodak. That's what it looks like when a soccer player rows. Nice job kid. Track clubs need to up their game and get the drones in the air
yeah.. i'd love to play w a drone for fotog but i'm fairly certain they aren't allowed at track events (certainly not when he played hs or club soccer)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rass...on the other hand this will play an important moment in the Disney Max Discovery Comcast Peacock Prime+ biopic that gets the go ahead after Olympic glory that leads to political leadership.

or maybe just the basis of a good college essay
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I sorta already tried that route. Adversity makes you stronger, etc. I need to somehow drag both her and her mom on to the acceptance phase of this process while avoiding feeling physically ill about it myself.

I also suggested she get ahead of this with the college coaches that she's been talking to, if nothing else maybe she gets a feel for who among them actually takes the time to commiserate. They're not just picking her, hopefully she's someday soon picking from among them.

(she has a call with Yale's staff on Thursday, hoping that doesn't go TOO well)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That sucks, man. I'd handle it the exact same way you are.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like if there’s a benefit to the kids in holding all the info until the last minute and then a kid went to the hospital … I can get it. Otherwise I’d be furious.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rass, I'm so sorry. And fuck the state athletic organization for keeping the kids out because their coach happened to screw up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

“sancarlos” wrote:As you may recall from the Washington DC thread I started, my daughter may be getting a job with a federal agency, there. But, hoo boy, is she learning about the crushingly slow pace of government hiring processes.

After multiple interviews with multiple people, she got the informal heads up that it was going through. But… then they had to check all her references - all good. Then, they had to do background checks. All good. None of that happened quickly. Then, her prospective boss clued her that they would have to jump through hoops with HR to get her the money that would be acceptable. She was briefed that she would get an offer with a low-ball salary grade. But… she could then make her case and negotiate for a higher grade and some moving expenses/signing bonus (although not called that). The prospective boss coached her on how to make that happen with HR. So, yesterday she finally received the formal offer and the stage is now set for negotiations. She has never been one to toot her own horn so this is difficult for her. I hope HR sees it the way she wants/needs them to.

The poor girl is completely stressed out. Because on top of the job process, her boyfriend is being a bit of a dick. He’s generally a nice guy and has always treated her well. But he’s a homebody who’s never left home much, and doesn’t appear to have much ambition. He’s never used the degree he got and works at a job with no real future. They live together and I’m pretty sure she pays more than her share. He got petulant about my daughter looking at career options and when this one progressed he said if she moved they were done. When she called that bluff he eventually changed course completely and said he would follow her. But by that time she was pissed off and said, “No, don’t come. Because, if you hate it there, you’ll resent me for it.” Luckily forme, my wife handles the vast majority of personal drama with her. I just try to be supportive.

Fun fun fun.
Sorry about rambling on about my daughter in different threads, but now this thread seems the appropriate place for an update.

* She received a formal job offer, albeit at a low-ball salary.
* She countered and made a case to HR for more money via email and a phone call, yesterday.
* She received a phone call from her prospective boss today, saying that HR indicated to him that they are in agreement with her counter, and will be making the requisite revisions to her formal offer.
* My girl is very excited!

Looks like it is possible I’ll be in the DC area in a couple months. Of course I don’t know dates yet, but it would be great to organize a little Swamp meet-up with you Baltimore/DC area guys while I’m out there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:53 pm
“sancarlos” wrote:As you may recall from the Washington DC thread I started, my daughter may be getting a job with a federal agency, there. But, hoo boy, is she learning about the crushingly slow pace of government hiring processes.

After multiple interviews with multiple people, she got the informal heads up that it was going through. But… then they had to check all her references - all good. Then, they had to do background checks. All good. None of that happened quickly. Then, her prospective boss clued her that they would have to jump through hoops with HR to get her the money that would be acceptable. She was briefed that she would get an offer with a low-ball salary grade. But… she could then make her case and negotiate for a higher grade and some moving expenses/signing bonus (although not called that). The prospective boss coached her on how to make that happen with HR. So, yesterday she finally received the formal offer and the stage is now set for negotiations. She has never been one to toot her own horn so this is difficult for her. I hope HR sees it the way she wants/needs them to.

The poor girl is completely stressed out. Because on top of the job process, her boyfriend is being a bit of a dick. He’s generally a nice guy and has always treated her well. But he’s a homebody who’s never left home much, and doesn’t appear to have much ambition. He’s never used the degree he got and works at a job with no real future. They live together and I’m pretty sure she pays more than her share. He got petulant about my daughter looking at career options and when this one progressed he said if she moved they were done. When she called that bluff he eventually changed course completely and said he would follow her. But by that time she was pissed off and said, “No, don’t come. Because, if you hate it there, you’ll resent me for it.” Luckily forme, my wife handles the vast majority of personal drama with her. I just try to be supportive.

Fun fun fun.
Sorry about rambling on about my daughter in different threads, but now this thread seems the appropriate place for an update.

* She received a formal job offer, albeit at a low-ball salary.
* She countered and made a case to HR for more money via email and a phone call, yesterday.
* She received a phone call from her prospective boss today, saying that HR indicated to him that they are in agreement with her counter, and will be making the requisite revisions to her formal offer.
* My girl is very excited!

Looks like it is possible I’ll be in the DC area in a couple months. Of course I don’t know dates yet, but it would be great to organize a little Swamp meet-up with you Baltimore/DC area guys while I’m out there.
Congrats, very exciting! Curious to hear which Agency, but respect if you don't want to divulge, especially if she works for The Agency. Those background investigations can be fun. Don't be surprised if you get concerned calls from your neighbors asking if she is wanted by the FBI. Some agents like to try to scare people into giving up negative information.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Congrats! I’d love to meet up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

“The Sybian” wrote:Curious to hear which Agency
It’s the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ferckin' A, man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Man, this is nice to hear.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That's great SC
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:16 pm So the coaching staff of the oldest’s HS track team fucked up (HC says there was a family emergency over the weekend) and didn’t submit entries and seed times for the first round of the state track postseason. Deadline was midnight Saturday, but registration opened 5/1.

Latest we’ve heard is that the kids might get to compete, but unseeded. So my kid who would have been seeded 2nd in the 800 and 6th in the 1600 and 1st in the 4x4 will be running in the slowest heats. She needs to finish top 6 overall to qualify for the next round. Doable, but tougher running just against the clock, and she’s worried her time will lay down a target for the seeded girls.

She’s a junior and counting on a big visible spring for college recruiting so she’s pretty devastated. I told her she gets today to be upset but tomorrow we’re on to planning to make the best of it.
Ok, so initial communication with the coach wa bumpy with him both claiming he was “owning” the situation and showing absolutely no remorse or humility. But they came through and positioned coaches around the track for the 800 yesterday. It was really hot and didn’t run her best race (2:21, PR is 2:17) but won her heat and kept first for the next two, too. The top heat was dicey but she ended up 5th overall and qualified for the next round. Though she likely won’t be in the top heat next week, and she was at the same comp last year.

She decided to drop the 1600 since her seed time had her 6th and she didn’t think she could even hit that running in the slowest heat. We would have preferred she give it a shot but didn’t want to give her crap this week so we let it go.

They ran 3:58 in the 4x400 today and again were fine through the top heat. One team ended up running 3:57 so they got second overall, qualified for next week and should be in the top heat no problem.

So not the best start to the week but a pretty good result.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:29 pm
rass wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:16 pm So the coaching staff of the oldest’s HS track team fucked up (HC says there was a family emergency over the weekend) and didn’t submit entries and seed times for the first round of the state track postseason. Deadline was midnight Saturday, but registration opened 5/1.

Ok, so initial communication with the coach wa bumpy with him both claiming he was “owning” the situation and showing absolutely no remorse or humility. But they came through and positioned coaches around the track for the 800 yesterday. It was really hot and didn’t run her best race (2:21, PR is 2:17) but won her heat and kept first for the next two, too. The top heat was dicey but she ended up 5th overall and qualified for the next round. Though she likely won’t be in the top heat next week, and she was at the same comp last year.

She decided to drop the 1600 since her seed time had her 6th and she didn’t think she could even hit that running in the slowest heat. We would have preferred she give it a shot but didn’t want to give her crap this week so we let it go.

They ran 3:58 in the 4x400 today and again were fine through the top heat. One team ended up running 3:57 so they got second overall, qualified for next week and should be in the top heat no problem.

So not the best start to the week but a pretty good result.
Way to go! Congrats!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

was coming here to make my own post on NJSIAA group sectionals...

boy ran his but off friday night.. uncharacteristically led six laps, he likes to chase.. don't know why that stragey, he wasn't sharing. finished fourth with a 9:50.. was hoping to beat his two week old PR but ultimately wanted to qualify for state meet next weekend..
saturday, ran the third leg of the 4x800 -- looked flat but they came in second .. none looked as if they were excerting and one was a fill in.. so qualify for states..
then the mile.. ran 4:40. not good enough to qualify - came in 7th in the top heat

then hammer dropped.. him and another boy (they run the 8, 16, 32 together) came after the race and told us they agreed w their coach.. no one is running indiviual events at state next week (so no 2 hour drive for us on friday night) .. and they aren't running the 4x400 either..
instead .. the top four 800 runners.. are going all out to win state and qualify for nationals... so no racing for anyone -- coach said its great to qualify -- but their times are not close to finish top six based on all other results across the state.
my initial reaction was poor -- really upset he isn't going for it.. in the end, i understand. very proud of him -- he explained his feelings and decisions and said it was the best chance for him to help himself and the team. he is also running in the last chance meet wed for one more chance to run sub 430 in the mile and put himself at the next level for recruiting (for the lesser/smaller d1 prrograms.. top programs he needs to be sub 415).. also said he spoke w coach and will pursue his passion to play his last year of hs soccer isntead of doing xc (which he doesnt' like. although we did remind him that in college, he'll have to run both) -- coach said xc isn't going to help him to get faster on the track.. play soccer, run races in the summer and fall and kick ass in winter track.