VR

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

VR

Post by Square Rob »

I know it’s fun to dunk on apple and make fun of repeated efforts at new VR technology. I’ve seen many many jokes making fun of the goggles and what people see as a wasted effort at advancing the tech.

Given this, I thought I’d share a really useful use for the tech, and something that turned me into a believer. Y’all know I work in metals, and specifically my focus is on the hot side, so dealing with molten. It’s a part of industry that carries huge intrinsic safety risks as our fragile selves don’t deal well with high temps or explosions. A couple years ago the idea came around to use VR to train people on the day to day risks. This led to a project and a partnership with a vr company. The idea was to create extremely risky environments and situations in vr, where people could experience the risk of explosion in a perfectly safe environment.

It works. It really works. As someone who has spent many many years around molten and it’s risks, it’s really hard to convince people of what can and can’t be done safely, and when bad things happen how quickly and seemingly innocuously they can occur.

In the training module you can simulate normal everyday tasks, where if the proper precautions aren’t taken things literally explode as they would in real life. It’s the most impressive advancement in safety training I’ve seen.

It’s not something I had previously considered with the tech, but after having seen it I’m really interested in how it can continue to advance.

My $0.02
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: VR

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s really cool. Makes a ton of sense.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I also use it for a very important purpose, to simulate golfing in my living room
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think VR is pretty cool and this new Apple product looks great. But I'm not dropping $3,500 for it.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well you're in luck, its only $3,499.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Maybe this is what sinks them
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Makes a $1600 phone or $2500 laptop seem not so bad.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:40 pm Makes a $1600 phone or $2500 laptop seem not so bad.
My initial thought was wait a few years and they'll sell for $500. Then I realized it's Apple, they'll be more expensive in a few years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right, funny, that was the price point that popped into my head.

I'm pretty annoyed with Apple. The only reason I have an iPhone at this point is that it's issued by where I work.

I'll wait for competitors to really get in the mix and drive the price down with something similar.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:34 pm Right, funny, that was the price point that popped into my head.

I'm pretty annoyed with Apple. The only reason I have an iPhone at this point is that it's issued by where I work.

I'll wait for competitors to really get in the mix and drive the price down with something similar.
The entire reason I never went with Apple from the jump was their complete locked down 'ownership' of their product compared to its price and functionality.

And when I do get an Apple products (iPod Nano & iPod Classic), they work ok until they're deemed obsolete and iTunes updates and renders them useless.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yep, that stuff bugs me... But what really put me over the edge was when they made their headphones incompatible with the rest of the world. Again, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have to pay for the damn phone, I would've ditched it right then and there.

Such a fucking PITA.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:27 pm Yep, that stuff bugs me... But what really put me over the edge was when they made their headphones incompatible with the rest of the world. Again, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have to pay for the damn phone, I would've ditched it right then and there.

Such a fucking PITA.
I really have no interest in virtual reality-anything, really, but the 3.5mm jack was a freakin dinosaur, and had no business being on a piece of modern technology.
Noli Timere Messorem