Re: Random Politics

Post by P.D.X. »

'snippets' = title / author's photo
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:23 pm 'snippets' = title / author's photo
“I see the word ‘communism’, and I think it’s something about communism,” she told JTA, adding, “I didn’t read the words.”
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Biden & McCarthy announce they have a debt ceiling deal but might be shot down by extremists on both sides (which is probably evidence that it’s not the worst deal ever).

(And yes the GOP should not be holding the country hostage but agreeing to flatten, not cut federal spending is not the end of the world. It’s an open question to be who would be hurt worse politically by a shutdown/default — Biden or the GOP.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Lol.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm
How this story is reported (or at least, Tweeted about) is frustrating. I'm nearly positive he said that he stopped mail-in ballots from being sent out to potential voters. That doesn't mean that those people still didn't vote some other way. Or that they were ever going to vote at all. It's bad (if they were truly valid requests) and I'm sure it suppressed some of the dev vote, but it didn't cost 2.5M votes.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:19 pm
How this story is reported (or at least, Tweeted about) is frustrating. I'm nearly positive he said that he stopped mail-in ballots from being sent out to potential voters. That doesn't mean that those people still didn't vote some other way. Or that they were ever going to vote at all. It's bad (if they were truly valid requests) and I'm sure it suppressed some of the dev vote, but it didn't cost 2.5M votes.
No offense, but that’s a bad faith position to hold, because you presuppose the right had valid reasons to suppress the vote.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's no reason to do them any favors with framing. If I stand in front of you blocking you from getting into the supermarket, it doesn't matter if you eventually get around me and go inside if the debate is whether I sought to block you from shopping. If he stopped 2.5MM write-ins and 1.75MM of them went on to vote in person anyway, he still stopped 2.5MM write-ins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:22 pm
No offense, but that’s a bad faith position to hold, because you presuppose the right had valid reasons to suppress the vote.
I didn’t presuppose or even say I believed that.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:15 pm There's no reason to do them any favors with framing. If I stand in front of you blocking you from getting into the supermarket, it doesn't matter if you eventually get around me and go inside if the debate is whether I sought to block you from shopping. If he stopped 2.5MM write-ins and 1.75MM of them went on to vote in person anyway, he still stopped 2.5MM write-ins.
I don’t want to do them any favors, but the way I’ve seen it worded in several places essentially says he stole 2.5M votes from Biden and Beto and therefore they should have won. That’s quite a leap to me, much as I’d like to believe they could or should have won.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well, he said it was 2.5MM and even if he's off or overstating by 2.49MM that should be a scandal, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Of course, one thing we shouldn't do is believe anything Paxton says. We have no reason to believe he stopped mail ballots from being sent out, or that he violated Texas law in doing so.

Biden lost Texas by half a million votes. There's no way that was because of anything Paxton did. The results in Texas were in line with what would be expected given how Biden and Trump performed in other states.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You don’t suppose…
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:34 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:22 pm
I didn’t presuppose or even say I believed that.
Just don't bring a good faith argument to a bad situation. You won't win, and those you seek to hold accountable will laugh at the notion.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

More of this please.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gen Z, baby.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Great ad.

Also, Lucas Kunce has popped up in some gaming podcasts I listen to recently because he's big into Magic: The Gathering.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yes, it’s a good ad but Hawley will win by at least 15 points. His brand of performative grievance politics plays especially well with the kind of mouth-breathers who live in MO.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:28 am Yes, it’s a good ad but Hawley will win by at least 15 points. His brand of performative grievance politics plays especially well with the kind of mouth-breathers who live in MO.
Truth.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Josh Hawley got 51.4% of the vote in 2018

yeah, he beat an incumbent to win that election, but he also held statewide office at the time
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:31 pm Josh Hawley got 51.4% of the vote in 2018

yeah, he beat an incumbent to win that election, but he also held statewide office at the time
Didn’t mean to insult you there, Bronto. But, I had a bunch of my wife’s MO relatives in mind, who are completely lost to the cult.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:31 pm Josh Hawley got 51.4% of the vote in 2018

And he’ll win 57.5-42.5-ish next year is what I’m saying.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

and I'm saying as someone who lives here that I'll be extremely surprised if that's the margin
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Someone should really rent a billboard and just show 24/7 the video of Hawley running away like a little bitch.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:27 am and I'm saying as someone who lives here that I'll be extremely surprised if that's the margin
Ok, so serious question since you obviously know the “local” (MO) mood better than we do, but what stops him from winning fairly easily in a Trump +15 state? Dobbs blowback? Other stuff? Because he certainly is a MAGA darling especially in MO from everything I’ve read and I don’t see any reasons voters will peel off from him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:45 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:27 am and I'm saying as someone who lives here that I'll be extremely surprised if that's the margin
Ok, so serious question since you obviously know the “local” (MO) mood better than we do, but what stops him from winning fairly easily in a Trump +15 state? Dobbs blowback? Other stuff? Because he certainly is a MAGA darling especially in MO from everything I’ve read and I don’t see any reasons voters will peel off from him.
he's not as favorable as you think

he's going to win, and going to win comfortably; but the margin being 15 would be incredibly surprising. 55-45 is the much safer bet
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 am55-45 is the much safer bet
What would it take for him to lose? I don't need a specific example, even "statistical near-impossibility" is fine.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:57 am
What would it take for him to lose? I don't need a specific example, even "statistical near-impossibility" is fine.
Coming out as gay?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am
Coming out as gay?
"Trump was bad."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Being accepting of or defending a marginalized group probably kills his candidacy quicker than either of those.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:25 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am
Coming out as gay?
"Trump was bad."
"I bought this case of Bud Light at Target"
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

#voteharder
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:10 pm#voteharder
I get the reason for the sarcasm/cynicism. But, what else would you have us do??
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The GOP has a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court because people on the far left of the spectrum chose not to vote hard enough to stop it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:39 pm
The GOP has a 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court because people on the far left of the spectrum chose not to vote hard enough to stop it.
FWIW, the Liberal Justices were joined by Roberts and Kavenaugh in the majority for this opinion.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I feel like Roberts is more in the HW/Romney side of the right as opposed to the more MAGA-adjacent Gorsuch/Thomas/Alito or Opus Dei-affiliated Barrett. And it seems like he has pull on Kavanaugh. So it does appear as if he can occasionally rein in the more egregious decisions if it strikes his fancy that day.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:12 pm I feel like Roberts is more in the HW/Romney side of the right as opposed to the more MAGA-adjacent Gorsuch/Thomas/Alito or Opus Dei-affiliated Barrett. And it seems like he has pull on Kavanaugh. So it does appear as if he can occasionally rein in the more egregious decisions if it strikes his fancy that day.
From what I've read, Roberts is deeply concerned with his legacy as Chief Justice and therefore unwilling to completely throw out the traditions of the Court and judicial precedence to push his ideology beyond the former constraints on a Court. He will still push his Conservative Agenda, but holds a slight tether to the norms that have governed Justices in the past. Not concerned enough to address shockingly blatant ethical violations, of course.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt