USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Post by mister d »

His head looks photoshopped onto a too small body in that pic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:11 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:04 pm Yeah, I'm never going to turn down depth, but we are pretty stacked in the attacking midfield part of the pool right now.
We are, but Rex is right, we do NOT have someone who has Lucho's skillset. He might be an excellent supersub especially if you are down a goal and hunting.
I don't view him as a super sub type. He is 90 minutes of wily & cunning. Super subs to me are very tall attackers (Connor Casey, Kenny Cooper Jr sized) or lightning fast counter attacking energy types. He does not fit either of those.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Big tent!!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:23 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:04 pm Yeah, I'm never going to turn down depth, but we are pretty stacked in the attacking midfield part of the pool right now.
We are, but Rex is right, we do NOT have someone who has Lucho's skillset. He might be an excellent supersub especially if you are down a goal and hunting.
I don't view him as a super sub type. He is 90 minutes of wily & cunning. Super subs to me are very tall attackers (Connor Casey, Kenny Cooper Jr sized) or lightning fast counter attacking energy types. He does not fit either of those.
So...agree to disagree. I have watched Lucho for three years now and his brand of creativity absolutely could play in a limited 15-30 if need be as much as all game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

What is his skill set? I don't follow MLS, so I don't know anything about him. I'm all for bringing in new talent, just very skeptical of bringing in a 29 yo MLS player. If he can bring something we don't have, great, but I hate bringing in older players unless they are game-changing superstars, otherwise you are taking away opportunities from younger players with potential to develop and help longer term.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:17 pm His head looks photoshopped onto a too small body in that pic.
Wikipedia says he is 5'3", so maybe that is what he looks like.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So like Maxi Moralez who I also really liked in MLS and also wouldn't want to see playing a role on the USMNT?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

29 is a bit late to be able to decide on nationality isn't it? Or is this some kind of special circumstance.

ET: Looks Like i missed NLFC's post.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't have the soccer chops to have this conversation. I know that Acosta is a wizard on the ball, technically and tactically and always on the attack - his size makes him hard to dispossess and he annoys the fuck out of opponents. He's probably on the short list of MVP lists or whatever the equivalent of that award is in MLS for 2023 at the mid-point of the season. His game will age well, I would expect given his size and how he plays that he will be effective into his mid-30s. The fact that USSF wrote in support of his application for citizenship means they have an interest in him. I don't think we have someone as creative as Acosta is in tight spaces on the ball and in finding and working combos. I think they could use him over the next few years.

Then again, I may not know shit.

He did this on Saturday in Vancouver fwiw...

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:09 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:17 pm His head looks photoshopped onto a too small body in that pic.
Wikipedia says he is 5'3", so maybe that is what he looks like.
A real life bobble-head. Surprised he can find a pillow to lay that massive head.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:34 pm I don't have the soccer chops to have this conversation. I know that Acosta is a wizard on the ball, technically and tactically and always on the attack - his size makes him hard to dispossess and he annoys the fuck out of opponents. He's probably on the short list of MVP lists or whatever the equivalent of that award is in MLS for 2023 at the mid-point of the season. His game will age well, I would expect given his size and how he plays that he will be effective into his mid-30s. The fact that USSF wrote in support of his application for citizenship means they have an interest in him. I don't think we have someone as creative as Acosta is in tight spaces on the ball and in finding and working combos. I think they could use him over the next few years.

Such a height-ist.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:34 pm I don't have the soccer chops to have this conversation. I know that Acosta is a wizard on the ball, technically and tactically and always on the attack - his size makes him hard to dispossess and he annoys the fuck out of opponents. He's probably on the short list of MVP lists or whatever the equivalent of that award is in MLS for 2023 at the mid-point of the season. His game will age well, I would expect given his size and how he plays that he will be effective into his mid-30s. The fact that USSF wrote in support of his application for citizenship means they have an interest in him. I don't think we have someone as creative as Acosta is in tight spaces on the ball and in finding and working combos. I think they could use him over the next few years.

Well that was a world class finish! Great ball from the back, too. It's pretty rare for a men to continue playing international after they turn 30, but maybe MLS isn't as demanding as Euro leagues. OTOH, MLS must have more demanding travel.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:26 pm

Well that was a world class finish! Great ball from the back, too. It's pretty rare for a men to continue playing international after they turn 30, but maybe MLS isn't as demanding as Euro leagues. OTOH, MLS must have more demanding travel.
What? Is that really true? Or for mid level guys?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:04 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:26 pm

What? Is that really true? Or for mid level guys?
There are certainly exceptions like Ronaldo, Messi, Giroud, Ream… International players usually retire from international a few years before they retire from club. Club is where they make their money, and it’s a huge drain to travel, train and play during international breaks while others are resting. The packed schedules for guys at big clubs and playing international is insane. There is no off-season for them.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

berhalter back
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bout time CP
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:53 pmBout time CP
Other than missing the open net, Pulisic looks sharp tonight. Very fast and aggressive.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Who needs a 9 when we have #10!!!!
Last edited by The Sybian on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

NHL officiating there to even it up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:49 pm NHL officiating there to even it up.
Did he get a red for a Mexican ripping his shirt?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Strong match for Reyna, Pepi scores so let’s run it back with Berhalter. Super.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This game just went full CONCACAF
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mexico committing the last 10:00 to fuck the US final and the ref letting it get there.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Mexico sure is a team full of punks..
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:04 pm This game just went full CONCACAF
Spoke too soon, game delayed because Mexican fans singing racist chants. At least that’s why my never studying Spanish had me thinking
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Now the ref calls the game 5 minutes early? Thrilled, but what happened?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Chants.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jesus FC.

This is what Mexico is, period. We out-classed them for over 90 minutes. They were told at half time to ugly the game up (I called that with my watch group) and they came out and took Dest and Weston out for the finals.

Good for you? I guess?

You got EMBARRASSED tonight. That was an absolute bitch-smack and they now know they are the 3rd best team in the region. And, frankly, it's not even all that close. Maybe MEX had players on the shelf I haven't seen or something... But that was an absolute drubbing.

=-=-=-=

On GGG... I am displeased.

He did a terrible job managing the team at the WC. Dempsey keeps saying tonight that he got out-coached against NED. That's a simpletons analysis. He didn't get outcoached against Holland. He burned through his team's legs by not playing enough players in the group stage and they were GASSED by the time they played NED. He is naive. He is stubborn.

We have WAY TOO MUCH TALENT to play high press against higher level teams. We can match that talent. It's not 1994. I hope he watched tonight and understands. We can beat the best teams in the world straight up.

But... BUT... If the lockerroom is behind him? Imma reserve further judgement.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:13 pm Now the ref calls the game 5 minutes early? Thrilled, but what happened?
I didn’t watch, but was there a possibility that the fans did it to get the ref to blow the whistle?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Rex wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:48 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:13 pm Now the ref calls the game 5 minutes early? Thrilled, but what happened?
I didn’t watch, but was there a possibility that the fans did it to get the ref to blow the whistle?
I mean... Maybe?

Their team got walked. For most of them, they'd been drinking for approximately 6 hours - minimum - at that point. Then they came out of the half-time locker room with clear instructions to "be disruptive."

Just an ugly and embarrassing night for El Tri... Which, now that I think about it... They are the 3rd best team in the region. Fitting.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:14 am
Rex wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:48 am
I mean... Maybe?

Their team got walked. For most of them, they'd been drinking for approximately 6 hours - minimum - at that point. Then they came out of the half-time locker room with clear instructions to "be disruptive."

Just an ugly and embarrassing night for El Tri... Which, now that I think about it... They are the 3rd best team in the region. Fitting.
Saw someone online refer to them as "L Tri" and I love it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I just can't get worked up about this re-hire. First, he wasn't fired, his contract ran out. Second, to be any kind of serious organization US Soccer HAD to properly investigate this issue, run it through the proper channels, etc. Third, fuck Claudio and Danielle. (I mean, I definitely extend them a bit of grace given that they lost a child, and can't fathom how protective that must make one about your other children, but their behavior through all of this was the absolute worst with Gio 2nd worst.)

Who else do we reasonably think would take this job? Marsch? Thierry Henry?

My choice, Carlo, appears headed to Sao Paolo if/when Florentino tires of him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:31 pm I just can't get worked up about this re-hire. First, he wasn't fired, his contract ran out. Second, to be any kind of serious organization US Soccer HAD to properly investigate this issue, run it through the proper channels, etc. Third, fuck Claudio and Danielle. (I mean, I definitely extend them a bit of grace given that they lost a child, and can't fathom how protective that must make one about your other children, but their behavior through all of this was the absolute worst with Gio 2nd worst.)

Who else do we reasonably think would take this job? Marsch? Thierry Henry?

My choice, Carlo, appears headed to Sao Paolo if/when Florentino tires of him.
Well yesterday Viera was trying to toss his name in the ring.

What happened to the upward mobility of several coaches. Preki was going to the UK to coach (stepped down from Sac Republic) and disappeared (sounders assistant). Golden Boy Porter's flame out at the U-23/Olympic level knocked him out. Hackworth was on a path...and poof. Feels like they have had a hard time building a pipeline.

Also I would say Gio's decision to dye his hair maybe 3rd worst. It shows he did not learn anything from Landon.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Charlie Davies was the only one last night focusing on the reality of the situation at Soccer House: They don't have the money and/or the optics won't allow them to pay a proper coach to do this job because it would "look bad" to pay someone $10-15M to do the job when the WNT coach only gets $1M.

And here's what last night proved: Put the best players on the field and we are easily the best team in the region. I like CAN and we'll see what they have to say about that on Sunday, but the point is that we had a Soccer Dad from New Jersey coaching last night and we walked Mexico off the field. I know MEX is in turmoil, but still... That was easily the most lopsided game in our favor in my lifetime.

I have ppl on Facebook trying to argue with me about the talent of this team compared to, say, 2002. It's not even close. That team beat MEX 2-0 by sitting back and scoring in transition. I don't have possession stats in front of me for last night, but I'm sure it was ridiculous.

All GGG needs to do is not fuck things up. Unfortunately, he's part of the bullshit mindset that wants to keep plugging in MLS guys when they don't fit.

One of the reasons that team was machine last night is that ALL OF THEM are on the same talent level. They ALL train with clubs at the very highest level. There's no bullshit like there is in MLS where those guys can (and often do) take 4-5 touches to move the ball.

It's pretty maddening that we're going to return to the days of Zimmerman, Morris, Arriola and Ferreira. They just aren't up to last night's level. Period.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:04 pm Charlie Davies was the only one last night focusing on the reality of the situation at Soccer House: They don't have the money and/or the optics won't allow them to pay a proper coach to do this job because it would "look bad" to pay someone $10-15M to do the job when the WNT coach only gets $1M.

And here's what last night proved: Put the best players on the field and we are easily the best team in the region. I like CAN and we'll see what they have to say about that on Sunday, but the point is that we had a Soccer Dad from New Jersey coaching last night and we walked Mexico off the field. I know MEX is in turmoil, but still... That was easily the most lopsided game in our favor in my lifetime.

I have ppl on Facebook trying to argue with me about the talent of this team compared to, say, 2002. It's not even close. That team beat MEX 2-0 by sitting back and scoring in transition. I don't have possession stats in front of me for last night, but I'm sure it was ridiculous.

All GGG needs to do is not fuck things up. Unfortunately, he's part of the bullshit mindset that wants to keep plugging in MLS guys when they don't fit.

One of the reasons that team was machine last night is that ALL OF THEM are on the same talent level. They ALL train with clubs at the very highest level. There's no bullshit like there is in MLS
where those guys can (and often do) take 4-5 touches to move the ball.

It's pretty maddening that we're going to return to the days of Zimmerman, Morris, Arriola and Ferreira. They just aren't up to last night's level. Period.
Question from a doofus who follows the USMNT solely by reading this thread...

Does USMNT have a separate talent evaluator who determines the selected players, creating a dynamic similar to coach and general manager?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'd say no other than coaching staff. Us soccer did hire a gm type soccer creative direction guy about 3-6 months ago but I'd be shocked if he had much say. Main power likely choice of coach but to be seen maybe. Ideally more long term thinking and uniformity between programs and global matters vs day to day selections.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I’m looking for a silver lining is it possible a guy like Marsch wouldn’t want to commit to 3.5 years?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:30 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:04 pm Charlie Davies was the only one last night focusing on the reality of the situation at Soccer House: They don't have the money and/or the optics won't allow them to pay a proper coach to do this job because it would "look bad" to pay someone $10-15M to do the job when the WNT coach only gets $1M.

One of the reasons that team was machine last night is that ALL OF THEM are on the same talent level. They ALL train with clubs at the very highest level. There's no bullshit like there is in MLS
where those guys can (and often do) take 4-5 touches to move the ball.

Question from a doofus who follows the USMNT solely by reading this thread...

Does USMNT have a separate talent evaluator who determines the selected players, creating a dynamic similar to coach and general manager?
The way they were set up under GGG last year, you had Earnie Stewart who was something like the President of Operations and my understanding of that was that along with specifically helping with player "acquisition" and evaluation, he also was charged with trying to maintain (or in some instances establish) a cohesive approach to the game throughout all men's programs (U17, U20, U23/Olympics and full national team.)

Brian McBride was also in some kind of executive position, and as best I can tell he also joined with the evaluation process, but most of his job was working with high value players in Europe to try and smooth relationships with their respective clubs so they could pull players without causing them issues in terms of the place on the team.

Matt Crocker came in to kind of replace Earnie in that Director of Soccer kind of role.

I don't think anyone here knows how much GGG is going to be put in charge of the entire player pool. That's not how it has worked in the past. The manager certainly has a huge say in things, but it's not a one person job... His entire staff and then the executive/brain trust also weigh in on this stuff.

What many of us WANTED was a guy with a European-forward mentality that has nothing to do with MLS* and would do what we did on TH and just put the best guys on the field. You saw what happened when we did.

* - The problem many of us have with GGG, McBride, Alexi Lalas, Taylor Twellman and a bunch of other former MNT/MLS guys is that they want to justify their resume/bonafides by acting like MLS and its players are "just as good" as those in Europe. It's silliness and all those that are objective about it see right through it.

Last time I'll say this (for a few days): When you watch the speed of play, particularly how much time guys have on the ball in MLS, and compare to what you face in most European leagues, it's night and day. And when those MLS guys try to raise their level to match the European guys, it's often a clusterfuck. It gets bogged down, you can only go as fast as your "slowest" (thinking) guy.