2023 NCAA Hockey Tournament

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2023 NCAA Hockey Tournament

Post by HaulCitgo »

Without knowing shit about hockey I am not at all shocked that Quinnipiac might be good at hockey
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

College hockey is now basically two universes existing in one galaxy.

One universe is occupied by teams full of NHL draft picks with a handful of guys that actually play 4 years: Denver, BU, Michigan, Minnesota, etc.
The universe is dominated by rosters with guys who played juniors for a couple of years, deferring college until they are 20-21 and then play 4 years. So you have teams with MEN on them, with 150+ games of college hockey experience (not to mention about 100 junior games). That's Quinnipiac, Union, Lake State, etc.

It's actually pretty cool (to me), because it allows for college hockey to remain viable for two very different types of players.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Does Hockey work like the MLB where once you decide to go to college, even if you've been drafted, you have to be there for 3 years? Hell, that might not even be true anymore for baseball.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah i love college hockey but it's also...a college sport which automatically makes it fkd up in any number of ways. Justen Close (minnesota goalie) for example - I was dying when they just casually mentioned that he's going to turn TWENTY FIVE next month :D :D wtf he's older than most of the guys currently on the Sabres.

(when i was at BC 1000 years ago my sophomore roommate was on the team and we gave him all sorts of grief for being 21 when we were all ~19. maybe. of course we had him buy us booze because duh.)
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:18 am College hockey is now basically two universes existing in one galaxy.

One universe is occupied by teams full of NHL draft picks with a handful of guys that actually play 4 years: Denver, BU, Michigan, Minnesota, etc.
The universe is dominated by rosters with guys who played juniors for a couple of years, deferring college until they are 20-21 and then play 4 years. So you have teams with MEN on them, with 150+ games of college hockey experience (not to mention about 100 junior games). That's Quinnipiac, Union, Lake State, etc.

It's actually pretty cool (to me), because it allows for college hockey to remain viable for two very different types of players.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

What in the world happened to Maine? They were the powerhouse for so many years. Guess the growth of the game had kids realize Notre Dame, Michigan, and UAB are better geography for a pro opportunity.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Auburn has gone D1?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Apparently along with Alabama, Georgia, S. Carolina and the U. of Tampa.

I'm looking at a few announcements and it's kind of weird. They're still a club team? And they'll play teams across all three NCAA divisions??

I don't really understand what's really going on with this.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ah so it is some new club league or level of club. Not D1. Auburn's press makes it confusing.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:56 am What in the world happened to Maine? They were the powerhouse for so many years. Guess the growth of the game had kids realize Notre Dame, Michigan, and UAB are better geography for a pro opportunity.

Shawn Walsh (the coach in the super glory years died) they had some success (a few frozen fours) then the coaching staff was revamped and a new head coach. plus Orono pretty much sucks..though not many ECAC/Hockey East towns are all that.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, it's too bad that can't recruit leaning on, say, Portland. That city is money.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So TN St getting a team...but once again looks like club/virtual varsity.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ey-program
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Still, TN St. is an HBCU. This is a big deal.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.