Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Rush2112 »

My favorite word "behoove"
I love the way "noodle" sounds for some reason.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Deceive. Inveigle. Obfuscate.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

On a similar note, "the die is cast" is such a great phrase because in English, it works both ways. The original meaning as a singular of two dice being thrown, meaning game on. It can also be meant as a die as in a mechanical implement (tool and die) has been fabricated, and said die will be the one making the marks, also meaning that the decision has been made.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

While I appreciate the positive atmosphere at the Juneteenth concert plus weed smoke... Buss shots at the devils maybe a step too far for a family event
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Dub is a good background music for basically any activity.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:57 am Dub is a good background music for basically any activity.
From house cleaning to working out, it always helps.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Understanding that confirmation bias is a thing, does anyone else get a tiny bit of satisfaction when you have a negative vibe on someone famous, and it turns out you were right? Like I remember the first I heard of The Weekend something rubbed me the wrong way, and every time I read something about him, I'm subconsciously thinking to myself "I told you he's a shit."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The local high school has supplied "proud graduate" lawn signs with the student's name on them for a few years.

This year, some of them have been accompanied by a separate sign announcing where the kid is going to college. A couple have seemed like a straight line decision for one reason or another (SUNY-Brockport, Vermont), but a couple in our neighborhood (UNC-Wilmington, Colorado) just seemed like curious choices. I've been out of the college game for a while, but options such as those two seem odd due to distance and the named schools not having a top-notch reputation (again, been out of the game and schools certainly have individual programs that exceed the school's general reputation).

I also ponder if the colleges are making the "next step" signs or if the parents are. UNCW was one the parents made (the graduate was pictured and the style was a ringer for last month's other kid who graduated from college), but the others did not have anything specific to the graduate.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Colorado isn’t Ivy League or anything, of course, but it is a good school, with better than average rankings. CU and CSU traditionally attract a ton of out-of-state kids, particularly from the two coasts. Skiing is one draw, the mountains and the natural beauty, another. Seems a little bit exotic to some (but, not really). Boulder and Fort Collins are attractive towns and CU is a pretty campus (CSU, not so much.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sure and like mentioned they do have programs that draw nationwide... astronomy, aeronautics, vet medicine (CSU), etc.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:01 pm The local high school has supplied "proud graduate" lawn signs with the student's name on them for a few years.

This year, some of them have been accompanied by a separate sign announcing where the kid is going to college. A couple have seemed like a straight line decision for one reason or another (SUNY-Brockport, Vermont), but a couple in our neighborhood (UNC-Wilmington, Colorado) just seemed like curious choices. I've been out of the college game for a while, but options such as those two seem odd due to distance and the named schools not having a top-notch reputation (again, been out of the game and schools certainly have individual programs that exceed the school's general reputation).

I also ponder if the colleges are making the "next step" signs or if the parents are. UNCW was one the parents made (the graduate was pictured and the style was a ringer for last month's other kid who graduated from college), but the others did not have anything specific to the graduate.
College reveals.

Social media pretense on our lawns!
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just went to the googles and it appears the "incoming student" signs are for purchase.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Weird, I'm not getting any of my normal daily e-mails to my Yahoo address.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:10 pm Colorado isn’t Ivy League or anything, of course, but it is a good school, with better than average rankings. CU and CSU traditionally attract a ton of out-of-state kids, particularly from the two coasts. Skiing is one draw, the mountains and the natural beauty, another. Seems a little bit exotic to some (but, not really). Boulder and Fort Collins are attractive towns and CU is a pretty campus (CSU, not so much.)
We've got top-notch Physics and Space programs. The business and engineering schools are Top-20 in the country, Plus the Library staff is top notch and we've got a new football coach!

Oh and legal weed with a dispensary 2 blocks from campus.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

CU, when you roll in all the cool "not part of the school" experience is an incredible draw.

UNCW is a very cool destination if you want the whole east coach beach town set-up. One of our favorite beaches to visit is Wrightsville, which happens to be the straight shot from campus (beaches are big enough that you can just avoid the one ramp/entrance where the bus drops them all off.

But, yeah, while a lovely campus, it's certainly not a highly ranked/"prestigious" school in terms of a national footprint. With that said, when I visited with my daughter, given the surrounding area... If I could've gotten a sniff on the soccer team, I would've strongly considered it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:45 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:10 pm Colorado isn’t Ivy League or anything, of course, but it is a good school, with better than average rankings. CU and CSU traditionally attract a ton of out-of-state kids, particularly from the two coasts. Skiing is one draw, the mountains and the natural beauty, another. Seems a little bit exotic to some (but, not really). Boulder and Fort Collins are attractive towns and CU is a pretty campus (CSU, not so much.)
We've got top-notch Physics and Space programs. The business and engineering schools are Top-20 in the country, Plus the Library staff is top notch and we've got a new football coach!

But does he have two feet?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:24 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:45 pm

But does he have two feet?
Not for long!

My first in person NCAAFB game was homecoming Deion's junior or senior year (Jay Leno was the pep rally headliner). It's hard to fathom that slippery speedster being felled by his feet.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

One of those little things that makes me miss my mom, as we were calling each other before and after every game back then.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:12 pm UNCW is a very cool destination if you want the whole east coach beach town set-up. One of our favorite beaches to visit is Wrightsville, which happens to be the straight shot from campus (beaches are big enough that you can just avoid the one ramp/entrance where the bus drops them all off.

But, yeah, while a lovely campus, it's certainly not a highly ranked/"prestigious" school in terms of a national footprint. With that said, when I visited with my daughter, given the surrounding area... If I could've gotten a sniff on the soccer team, I would've strongly considered it.
It's one of the 4-5 best state schools in North Carolina!
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:40 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:12 pm UNCW is a very cool destination if you want the whole east coach beach town set-up. One of our favorite beaches to visit is Wrightsville, which happens to be the straight shot from campus (beaches are big enough that you can just avoid the one ramp/entrance where the bus drops them all off.

I won't stand for this purported slander of UNC Pembroke (it'll always be Pembroke State University to me) and ECU!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:56 am UNC Pembroke (it'll always be Pembroke State University to me)

Is that Kelvin Sampson's music?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:37 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:56 am UNC Pembroke (it'll always be Pembroke State University to me)

Is that Kelvin Sampson's music?
He predated my grandfather's time there by a year.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:56 am

I won't stand for this purported slander of UNC Pembroke (it'll always be Pembroke State University to me) and ECU!
Hey you're the one assuming those two aren't in the top 5! (they aren't)
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:42 pm

My uncle retired from teaching at ECU a few years ago and three of my cousins went there. Speaking of rankings, the oldest of the three cousins was always proud that Playboy would not include ECU in their annual rankings of top party schools because professionals were not allowed.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Lol. Like that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:11 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:42 pm

My uncle retired from teaching at ECU a few years ago and three of my cousins went there. Speaking of rankings, the oldest of the three cousins was always proud that Playboy would not include ECU in their annual rankings of top party schools because professionals were not allowed.
Sadly, that story is apocryphal...from Snopes:

Playboy's Top Party Schools
Which leads us straight into the legend which has sprung up around this famed list:

Then there's the computer bulletin board-fueled story about the magazine (usually Playboy) that was ranking the Top 10 Party Schools in the country. Students at the University of Wisconsin were taken aback when their school didn't rate even an honorable mention; after all, everyone knows about the legendary cheesehead antics that go on in Madison. But when the kids contacted the magazine, they were told: "We don't rank professionals."
Gentle souls that they are, Playboy referenced this bit of folklore (a charming bit of blarney which been told about any number of schools, cheese-enhanced and otherwise, for many years prior to 1987) and did their best console those who were left off the January 1987 compilation by stating, "If your school isn't listed, it's probably because we didn't include professionals."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That story was passed around when I was in school, but I couldn't be sure of the origins and i just respect Chedda so damn much out of how he leaves himself out there on the Connect Floor (TM).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Working hard to come up with a Charles Van Doren joke, but I got nothing.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rebuses (rebii?) are such bullshit in crosswords.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:39 am Rebuses (rebii?) are such bullshit in crosswords.
Is it even possible to do them if you're doing a crossword with a pen on paper?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That reminds me that I fucking didn't get Wordle today. So pissed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Here, this'll make you feel smart.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/games/keyword/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:05 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:39 am Rebuses (rebii?) are such bullshit in crosswords.
Good point. Probably not. I have NYT crossword app on my phone. The first time I ran into a rebus, I didn't even know that was a thing and was so confused until I found that button. I just did another one that had them. At the very least, the puzzle should let you know that it uses them, because otherwise it completely fucks up your brain when you're sure you know the right word but it doesn't fit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Booooooo
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:36 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:05 am
Good point. Probably not. I have NYT crossword app on my phone. The first time I ran into a rebus, I didn't even know that was a thing and was so confused until I found that button. I just did another one that had them. At the very least, the puzzle should let you know that it uses them, because otherwise it completely fucks up your brain when you're sure you know the right word but it doesn't fit.
That's about the same with my experience. I do the crosswords on the phone app only.

But at this point, if the answer that seems to fit doesn't fit, you're on notice to look for rebii.

What pisses me off is when the rebus is a combination of words or letters with a slash, and it's not clear which should be above the slash and which below. Or whether we're supposed to use digits or words if it's a number.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:28 am That reminds me that I fucking didn't get Wordle today. So pissed.
I didn't get it either...such bullshit when you have 4/5 letters, in the right order, but then there's a bunch of options for the last one.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:52 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:28 am That reminds me that I fucking didn't get Wordle today. So pissed.
I didn't get it either...such bullshit when you have 4/5 letters, in the right order, but then there's a bunch of options for the last one.
Same. Broke my 98-day streak.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

(got it in 3)
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Had three chances with four options. Not a good week for me and games.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:55 pm
(got it in 3)
Same. Hadn't done one in months. You other guys suck, obviously.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.