The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Irony thread

Post by Rex »

Just went to the Titanic Museum in Belfast where they had a very impressive virtual tour of the wreckage through a “glass floor”. Spent about $25, didn’t die, and had a pretty nice meal in the cafe to boot. That was close enough to the real thing for me.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

He described being initially hesitant about going aboard the sub at all because some of the components appeared "off the shelf, sort of improvised".

"You steer this sub with an Xbox game controller, some of the ballast is abandoned construction pipes."

Pogue said he had been reassured by Titan's inventor and OceanGate's CEO, Stockton Rush, that the carbon-fibre main capsule had been co-designed with Nasa and the University of Washington and was "rock solid".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 957709.amp
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The North Atlantic hasn’t lost its fastball when it comes to claiming rich, dumbfucks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This is a pretty good comment in the Gizmodo article outlining what we know so far.
Some dude named "Dan" wrote:The article could use some more details.

First, the submersible made contact every 15 minutes to its ship. This stopped around 5:30 am on Sunday. The ship only made a distress call at 9 pm that day.

Second, there are seven different built-in “return to surface” systems. One of those systems is set to engage automatically once the ship has been submerged for 14 hours. That timer started as soon as the ship submerged, and is designed to work even if everyone on board is dead.

Third, visibility at its last presumed location (two miles down in the sea) is about twenty feet, even with bright lights. So the most reasonable method to search would presumably be sonar. However, because there is another man-made ship famously sunk in that area, sonar is not especially effective for spotting them. So they’re left with listening via sound for distress calls and searching the ocean surface for the submersible.

Fourth, the reason the Coast Guard is most searching the ocean surface is because if the ship made it back up (as it was designed to do via many failsafes), they can still suffocate to death because it’s airtight and the hatch can only be opened from the outside.

Fifth, the likelihood that they’re at the surface is basically nil, because they had emergency GPS equipment for that outcome. The equipment they did have would not have survived hull compression.

Sixth, hull compression is the most likely reason for failure. There are two reasons why: first, the pressure cycling of going back and forth from the deep sea is highly likely to cause hull fractures over time, and second, because the contact ceased when they were dropping to the ocean floor and pressurizing.

Seventh, if failure was caused by hull compression, then everyone would have died basically instantaneously - within a second or two. There is a very good, but not guaranteed, chance that they were not aware of any hull problems prior to compression. Otherwise, the various gauges and sensors in the submersible would have alerted them to pressurization issues, and they would have reacted by returning to the surface.
If he's taking edits, I think suffocate to death is overkill.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It’s like having a guuuuuuuuy
With “Ocean” in his user name
Who stopped postiiiinnng years ago
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know no one wants to be the bad guy so I’ll say it. A bunch of rich fucks dying in a dick-measuring contest about how rich they are isn’t a tragedy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The doors on the submersible can only be opened from the outside, so even if it surfaced, which is highly unlikely, they would need to find it to open the doors before they run out of air. Fuck that, I’m not getting in anything you can’t open from the inside!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This message board, circa 2013
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:05 am Fuck that, I’m not getting in anything you can’t open from the inside!
(cut to Syb attending an event at Mar a Lago for some reason and refusing to go to the bathroom)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:05 am Fuck that, I’m not getting in anything you can’t open from the inside!
(cut to Syb attending an event at Mar a Lago for some reason and refusing to go to the bathroom)
"Guys, I don't think I should have switched jobs..."
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:05 am The doors on the submersible can only be opened from the outside, so even if it surfaced, which is highly unlikely, they would need to find it to open the doors before they run out of air. Fuck that, I’m not getting in anything you can’t open from the inside!
I'm not paying close attention to this whole thing, but on NBC News last night I heard something about this thing not being certified. I don't really know what that means, but put "non-military submersible" on the list of things I'm not getting in. Same list that includes "plane where the objective is to jump out with a backpack full of nylon and polyester."
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My buddy gets paid by the military to jump out of planes with a backpack full of nylon and polyester.

I compare this thing to 'civilian space travel' more than skydiving. Skydiving, itself, is relatively safe. It's the nauseating ascent in the rickety plane that sucks.

But deep sea shit and space shit just aren't on the approachable level that air travel is, IMO. Leave that shit to the government.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Guys, trying to find the socially appropriate joke about combining this news story with the Alito and Thomas billionaire buddy trips and am failing.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:32 am I know no one wants to be the bad guy so I’ll say it. A bunch of rich fucks dying in a dick-measuring contest about how rich they are isn’t a tragedy.
Sounds like the sentiment shared by most Americans about a certain soulless strip in the desert. :P
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't personally know a single person who doesn't love going to Vegas. I also personally don't know a single person who'd be dumb enough to get on this vehicle and go two miles deep in the ocean.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:29 am I also personally don't know a single person who'd be dumb enough to get on this vehicle and go two miles deep in the ocean.
I would definitely be dumb enough to climb into something like this if it were going into space. And I were rich enough to afford it. But not the bottom of the ocean.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

One of their stepsons still going to the Blink-182 concert is hilarious to me.

Also, love how Dan Crenshaw is already blaming Biden on them not being saved.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not to steal Jerloma's schtick, but I don't think this is irony at all. If anything, this appears completely fucking expected.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:05 am One of their stepsons still going to the Blink-182 concert is hilarious to me.

It’s amazing. These titan guys are on record complaining about safety precaution rules and laws stifling their creativity and the government being too intrusive. Then they come running begging for help and complaining when they can’t be helped.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:05 am One of their stepsons still going to the Blink-182 concert is hilarious to me.

Saw a twitter response to this with a clip from their "Miss You" video with just DeLonge's lyric "Where are you?" posted. Absolutely hilarious.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:36 am

Saw a twitter response to this with a clip from their "Miss You" video with just DeLonge's lyric "Where are you?" posted. Absolutely hilarious.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:29 am I don't personally know a single person who doesn't love going to Vegas. I also personally don't know a single person who'd be dumb enough to get on this vehicle and go two miles deep in the ocean.
If and when I get to Vegas again, I know I can be in full-on party mode, because the usual governor on my party engine has made it clear she has no interest in going there.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I still say that should be the next Swamp meetup.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:50 am I still say that should be the next Swamp meetup.
Particularly if there was some good live music we all want to attend.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:52 am
Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:50 am I still say that should be the next Swamp meetup.
Particularly if there was some good live music we all want to attend.
I'm always interested in a Vegas trip. Would need to be 2024 or later for me, but definitely want to.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

From The Onion's classic "Our Dumb Century" - the headline and subheadline are applicable in this case...

Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:20 am Not to steal Jerloma's schtick, but I don't think this is irony at all. If anything, this appears completely fucking expected.
I wasn't going with its failure, just the "dying at sea after going to gawk at the remains of those who died at sea". Like whenever Elon builds a rocket intended to ascend to the exact point at which the Challenger exploded, and then his explodes. I'll also post that here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'd say that in the reporting that has happened the last few days, the whole "safety regulations are wasteful" stance of the owner/operator might help qualify, too.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Aside from their wealth, is there any reason everyone is committing resources to finding these dipshits?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:03 pm Aside from their wealth, is there any reason everyone is committing resources to finding these dipshits?
These can be useful training exercises even if they can't recover the people in time. That's a callous way to look at it, but it does make the next time both safer (if it forces more regulation/inspection) and more likely to be successful with experience. There's a good chance those vessels (air and sea) helping with S&R were doing something else less "important" when the calls came in, but they were doing something. Expensive fuck up by billionaires, funded by governments. Par for the course!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Meh... The whole deal with seafaring vessels is that everyone is supposed to stop whatever their doing and go help. I don't know if it's official maritime law or whatever, but if not, it's like unwritten code in MLB or the NHL.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:26 pm Meh... The whole deal with seafaring vessels is that everyone is supposed to stop whatever their doing and go help. I don't know if it's official maritime law or whatever, but if not, it's like unwritten code in MLB or the NHL.
A quick google search indicates that it's an active requirement to assist vessels in distress on the high seas, and US Federal Statute makes it a crime to fail to do so.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:32 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:26 pm Meh... The whole deal with seafaring vessels is that everyone is supposed to stop whatever their doing and go help. I don't know if it's official maritime law or whatever, but if not, it's like unwritten code in MLB or the NHL.
A quick google search indicates that it's an active requirement to assist vessels in distress on the high seas, and US Federal Statute makes it a crime to fail to do so.
Seems like a submersible might not exactly be the easiest thing for a commercial ship to help find, but I suppose if by some miracle it ended up on the surface, more eyes there are better. And I don't know how sophisticated the tech would have to be to help track via sonar on board at those depths where most ships would have no reason to think about.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting. Maybe the same thing always happens for migrant vessels but the attention/framing is different.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sounds like even if they find it and it's on the bottom of the ocean, it's going to be near impossible to get it to the surface.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:47 pm Interesting. Maybe the same thing always happens for migrant vessels but the attention/framing is different.
Ha! Or, not.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:49 pm Sounds like even if they find it and it's on the bottom of the ocean, it's going to be near impossible to get it to the surface.
Oh yeah, most shipwrecks are just left. This one being a smaller vessel increases the chance of succesfully recovering, but there's virtually no way that anyone is still alive, because you'd have to ascend them at the appropriate speed just in case. And anything they use to find it will probably have a camera on it and they'll be able to tell if there was a breach, at which point it makes no sense to retrieve.

BUT..if they do find it intact and it's still within the time frame I'd wager some divers are in for the experience of their life and learning some new skills on the fly. So some (badass) jamoke who built the pilings on some deep bridge is sitting on a boat right now consulting what depth they could reasonably take the thing apart and rush in with oxygen.

Remember, it's easier to send the drillers to the asteroid than teach astronauts to drill.[/orange]

Edit: I ain't breaking new ground with any of this, it's just fascinating to me to think about what the engineering, nautical and biological contingencies are at the moment.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Keeping the thing attached to a simple nylon rope like they do with unmanned ROV's would have prevented this.

They'd need 2.5 miles of it but still...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rope costs money.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Man, I'm just now seeing memes and getting sent memes of this ordeal on social media. (To be fair, I've been away from my phone for the last couple days.) And holy shit, some of these are dark.

But not as dark as a broken submarine on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

Edit:

I full on belly laughed at this shit.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.