Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pubic left me with only one option left
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:52 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:28 am That reminds me that I fucking didn't get Wordle today. So pissed.
I didn't get it either...such bullshit when you have 4/5 letters, in the right order, but then there's a bunch of options for the last one.
I got it in six. Because I was thinking too narrowly about what the missing letter could be.
[+] spoiler
(I completely forgot that the first letter could be one of the letters I already had.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was me too.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I’ve got it in two for two straight days. My start word is stare so I had a nice base for both.

On the rebus for xwords, The NY Times typically only does them on Thursday. Nearly ALWAYS there will be a theme clue or otherwise to give you a hint. I enjoy them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:33 pm I’ve got it in two for two straight days. My start word is stare so I had a nice base for both.

That's my start word too! I got today's with the last guess. Had all but the first letter on guess two. Hate when it comes down to one letter with numerous letters making a valid word.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This could have gone in the "makes you feel old" thread but it's a thing that has happened when I wasn't so "old" so just trying to see if it is a thing. My youngest still lives with us but I swear, 75% of the time when The Woman (TM) and I are getting a bit frisky, that kid shows up. Kid never knocks on the door to our room...unless. So what's up with that. I know I made fun of the olds last night but now I need sage wisdom. Is this just a thing? Is the closed door some kind of trigger? Dude is 19! I'm just trying to get my groove on!

(It may have just occurred to me that I didn't raise males, but now I have one. So this might be my fault and I need to go over the bro code. But generally, despite the incessant chirping about "i fucked your mom" that all guys deal with, I would actually be fucking his mom. FFS someone take my keyboard away from me)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Maybe it's just the lure of the closed door. Try doing it with the door open.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:58 am Maybe it's just the lure of the closed door. Try doing it with the door open.
This type of guidance is why I posted. You're a real mensch.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I say go another step further and explicitly invite them to hang out in your room from 10:14 to 10:17 tonight.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:24 am I say go another step further and explicitly invite them to hang out in your room from 10:14 to 10:17 tonight.
What will the extra 2 minutes accomplish?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Always good to review the itinerary ahead of starting.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:37 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:24 am I say go another step further and explicitly invite them to hang out in your room from 10:14 to 10:17 tonight.
What will the extra 2 minutes accomplish?
Breakdown the tape.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:43 am This could have gone in the "makes you feel old" thread but it's a thing that has happened when I wasn't so "old" so just trying to see if it is a thing. My youngest still lives with us but I swear, 75% of the time when The Woman (TM) and I are getting a bit frisky, that kid shows up. Kid never knocks on the door to our room...unless. So what's up with that. I know I made fun of the olds last night but now I need sage wisdom. Is this just a thing? Is the closed door some kind of trigger? Dude is 19! I'm just trying to get my groove on!

(It may have just occurred to me that I didn't raise males, but now I have one. So this might be my fault and I need to go over the bro code. But generally, despite the incessant chirping about "i fucked your mom" that all guys deal with, I would actually be fucking his mom. FFS someone take my keyboard away from me)
I thought it was bad enough that our daughter always shows up whenever any of our shows has a sex scene. That sounds like a nightmare.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Give him a show
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Given that I worked from home for several years, and wife wife was always worried about my daughter coming in the door at night, for those years, almost all of our sexy time was in the afternoon while the young’un was away.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... Our kids have never walked in on us*, but it's mainly because I'm a jackass and have blatantly said that if the door is shut and it's after 10p, we're either asleep or we're actively not asleep. STFO.

* - There were a couple of times when the toddler would wander out of their room at night, but babies are stupid and loud. The string of cans outside their door also helped alert us to their meandering.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tell me if I missed something:

A Pulitzer Prize is an award for excellence in writing amongst various mediums, right?

But Joe Pulitzer was one of the main dudes that contributed to Yellow Journalism.

So like...another case of 'money talks, bullshit walks' then, yes?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Or, award-washing his reputation?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe Pulitzer sounds like the laziness name for a fictional journalist.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is cruise control still not a standard feature in cars or are there really lots of people out there who prefer to not use the function when driving on a limited-access interstate highway with minimal traffic?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:28 am Is cruise control still not a standard feature in cars or are there really lots of people out there who prefer to not use the function when driving on a limited-access interstate highway with minimal traffic?
Maybe my biggest pet peeve.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't drive on many open highways but I don't like it. I worry I'll stop paying attention.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It makes me pay more attention tbh. As someone who's compiled a lot of miles on open highways, there's nothing more annoying than setting the cruise on 78 and having to pass, then be passed, then have to pass again, then be passed again, then have to pass again the same car in a 15-mile span.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I don't think we even have roads like that around here. Its never just me, another car and then 15 miles of road.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I use the adaptive cruise all the time. It’s fantastic.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:57 am Yeah, I don't think we even have roads like that around here. Its never just me, another car and then 15 miles of road.
That makes sense. That's pretty much the only time I use it or on known speed traps in town. There's been more than one time when the guy behind me is pissed I'm going a steady 32, but he ends up way more pissed 1/2 a mile down the road after he speeds past me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:03 am
mister d wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:57 am Yeah, I don't think we even have roads like that around here. Its never just me, another car and then 15 miles of road.
That makes sense. That's pretty much the only time I use it or on known speed traps in town. There's been more than one time when the guy behind me is pissed I'm going a steady 32, but he ends up way more pissed 1/2 a mile down the road after he speeds past me.
When did you move to Boiling Springs?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:47 am It makes me pay more attention tbh. As someone who's compiled a lot of miles on open highways, there's nothing more annoying than setting the cruise on 78 and having to pass, then be passed, then have to pass again, then be passed again, then have to pass again the same car in a 15-mile span.
If this is your biggest driving annoyance you lead a charmed automotive existence.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Good point. Reading Giff’s post made me realize I haven’t used cruise control in 20 years. Used to use it all the time driving in Upstate NY. Never bothered to show my son how to use it. Probably should also show him the lane assistance feature, just worried that would throw him off.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:07 am
Giff wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:47 am It makes me pay more attention tbh. As someone who's compiled a lot of miles on open highways, there's nothing more annoying than setting the cruise on 78 and having to pass, then be passed, then have to pass again, then be passed again, then have to pass again the same car in a 15-mile span.
If this is your biggest driving annoyance you lead a charmed automotive existence.
Oh I have a lot, but I do an abnormal number of road trips. And actually, it's probably my second biggest annoyance right behind 18-wheelers taking 10 miles to pass another one. Trust me, there are a lot of day-to-day driving things that annoy me, but I've actually grown to be a lot chiller on the roads.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This is where adaptive cruise works so well. You can use it in traffic. It's especially good in slow-and-go situations.

And Giff, you'd love driving here. Trucks passing trucks passing trucks on I-80 heading up the mountain is just so awesome.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I pretty much HAVE to use it on some of the drives I take on those long haul road trips. My foot gets sore and my legs get annoying if I can't stretch them at the back end of a 10-12 hour drive.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We had a rental with that adaptive thing, and I hated it. We disabled it after a few hours. Probably with enough time to calibrate it and get used to it it would be fine, but so far I don't like those.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:34 am
This is where adaptive cruise works so well. You can use it in traffic. It's especially good in slow-and-go situations.

And Giff, you'd love driving here. Trucks passing trucks passing trucks on I-80 heading up the mountain is just so awesome.
Trucks passing trucks. I-5 down the Central Valley of California is funny. Everybody goes 90 mph for awhile, then slows to 40 in the passing lane, waiting while a truck ahead passes another truck. Lather, rinse, repeat. Oh, and to add to the frustration, some asshole always wants to pass everybody on the right, the jam his way back into the passing lane right behind the trucks.

Because of that frustration, we usually take state highway 99 (which essentially parallels I-5). Might take a bit longer, but with less aggravation.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:09 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:34 am

Trucks passing trucks. I-5 down the Central Valley of California is funny. Everybody goes 90 mph for awhile, then slows to 40 in the passing lane, waiting while a truck ahead passes another truck. Lather, rinse, repeat. Oh, and to add to the frustration, some asshole always wants to pass everybody on the right, the jam his way back into the passing lane right behind the trucks.

Because of that frustration, we usually take state highway 99 (which essentially parallels I-5). Might take a bit longer, but with less aggravation.
On one of my road trips home from out there (think it was the time Brian gave me a room at The Linq), Google Maps had me going through all kinds of back farm roads with zero signage south of Fresno, north of Bakersfield, only to end up back on the highway I was before. Must have known about some slow ass trucks ahead.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Same down to the MPH.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:24 pm
Same down to the MPH.
Got caught in a notorious speed trap town on I-35W (wait, do those count on completed interstates!?) going 78 in a 75. He said he clocked me at 84 which I almost responded "that is a lie, I always go 78" which would've just been an admission of guilt. Not that trying to fight bogus speeding tickets is ever successful.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:43 am We had a rental with that adaptive thing, and I hated it. We disabled it after a few hours. Probably with enough time to calibrate it and get used to it it would be fine, but so far I don't like those.
What brand/year was it?

We have three cars with adaptive, including my son’s. The 2016 Subaru system is great. The 2021 Toyota Rav 4 is not quite as good. The 2019 Toyota Corolla system is not very good.