Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by brian »

Just kidding. Knew what you meant.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

See, our problem is... or more accurately, the memory/retention stuff comes into play when we hit a certain amount of alcohol consumption. When we are chilled out about that, all good.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:26 pm Half meaning 5 or 2.5?
5. Everything I've bought comes in 10 mg.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched the most recent Grand Tour (Amazon). Eurocrash. This is special #2 in season 5. Worst of the bunch. Camera work was so-so. The humor was not as good. The camera work, which is usually amazing, not so great. The locations were interesting but not amazing. The best part was the behind the Iron Curtain F1 cars.

Onto Gemstones and the next set of Breakpoint (Tennis' Drive to Survive) which comes out Wed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I feel like a dumbdumb.

One of our favorite shows is Alone on the History Channel. Yes, they peel off the season-prior to Netflix, which is where my wife and I watch it. I guess the latest season dropped and I looked up History and streaming.

Turns out, all I needed to do was download the app to my Roku. (YouTubeTV doesn't carry History). I feel stupid, but the good news is that now we've got at least 2 full seasons, plus some spinoffs!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I got my son hooked on Letterkenny. I'm currently watching Season 11 on my own, but just watched the first season with him. I'm sure he is missing close to half the jokes, but he is loving it. It's been interesting for me to go back and see the initial creation of the characters. Most haven't developed much since the first episode, which is actually kind of great. Biggest thing I noticed is that Tanis seemed to have hit the wall somewhere along the line (maybe she was pregnant or something), just looked weird in Season 10 or 11. I was wondering why I thought she was so hot, then seeing her in Season 1, she was way hotter than I remembered. And the first Bonnie McMurray episode, she looks like a child!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I have a feeling I’ve already posted this but don’t care enough to search. This looks great.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

5 seconds in and I'm asking myself, is this a Boots Riley movie?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
Alright look...

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

While the first quote is hilariously wrong, the second quote about legalizing psychedelics is 100% correct, at a minimum for medical use.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Every time I hear some idiot use the argument "there's a reason it's called ..." and point out some similarity between two words I wonder "have you ever heard of other languages?" Because I'm pretty sure that linguistic quirk only works in English. Or maybe words aren't magical in China.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Big Door Prize on Apple TV is pretty good.

An incredible premise whereby people learn what their "life's potential" is, and how they react - even though most of the hints of their potential are pretty vague.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been watching Based on a True Story on the 'Cock. It's pretty entertaining, reminds me a bit of Dead to Me and Santa Clarita Diet in tone, but not as zany as SCD or dramatic or dark as DtM.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, we plowed through Based on a True Story. I'm a Kaley mark and the rest of the cast is pretty solid.

She was on Smartless and talked about being pregnant and asking the producers* to rewrite her character to conform to reality as opposed to putting off production or splitting it in two.

Syb - Not much of a spoiler below, but it is a significantly different viewing experience knowing what's in the below. And by not much of one, it's information that could be noodled out with some googling, probably.
[+] spoiler
Bateman is one of the producers, and she's got an EP credit. That's not the spoiler. During her interview, they congratulated her on the show already being renewed for a second season.
ETA - Yeah, info is out there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:41 pm Yeah, we plowed through Based on a True Story. I'm a Kaley mark and the rest of the cast is pretty solid.

She was on Smartless and talked about being pregnant and asking the producers* to rewrite her character to conform to reality as opposed to putting off production or splitting it in two.

Syb - Not much of a spoiler below, but it is a significantly different viewing experience knowing what's in the below. And by not much of one, it's information that could be noodled out with some googling, probably.
[+] spoiler
Bateman is one of the producers, and she's got an EP credit. That's not the spoiler. During her interview, they congratulated her on the show already being renewed for a second season.
ETA - Yeah, info is out there.
That's where I heard about it. Finished the show last night... it was pretty good. It was fun and moved fast, but not must watch. Only 8 episodes, and some were under 30 minutes, so I was kind of surprised when it ended last night. Kind of wished I waited until Season 2 came out so I don't have to wait a year and completely forget everything that happened when Season 2 comes out.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We watched a couple of episodes of The Bear (first season) last night and I loved it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm assuming you are aware (or were made aware and started watching that) the S2 just dropped this week. I hadn't heard and now I'm super psyched to watch that tonight.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Finished "The Big Door Prize" on Apple.

Meh.
[+] spoiler
Turns out that 10 episodes wasn't enough time to develop characters. Stay away.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:45 pm I'm assuming you are aware (or were made aware and started watching that) the S2 just dropped this week. I hadn't heard and now I'm super psyched to watch that tonight.
Saw the first two episodes of season 2, still great. I don't think I've ever felt the stress of the characters of a TV show as much as in The Bear.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:59 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:45 pm I'm assuming you are aware (or were made aware and started watching that) the S2 just dropped this week. I hadn't heard and now I'm super psyched to watch that tonight.
Saw the first two episodes of season 2, still great. I don't think I've ever felt the stress of the characters of a TV show as much as in The Bear.
I love this show. I love it enough to abide my Hulu app not having the audio in sync with the video for S2E1.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You're smarter than me, so don't take this as an insult... Have you tried pressing the rewind button? Just one quick jump back often fixes this issue for me.

The History Channel was driving me nuts last week, with the audio being a full 3 seconds off after it came back from commercial break. Finally figured out hitting the quick rewind once cleared it up.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I heard J Kenji Lopez-Alt (that guy has too many names) on a podcast talking about the show, and he said he could barely watch it because it gave him stress flashbacks to his days working in a kitchen.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:09 am You're smarter than me, so don't take this as an insult... Have you tried pressing the rewind button? Just one quick jump back often fixes this issue for me.

The History Channel was driving me nuts last week, with the audio being a full 3 seconds off after it came back from commercial break. Finally figured out hitting the quick rewind once cleared it up.
Smarter than you? I doubt that. I worked the rewind and fast forward button a few times, and backed out of the episode, then out of the whole app, but still off by at least a half second.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Baby Billy’s back!!!!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:06 pm
I love this show. I love it enough to abide my Hulu app not having the audio in sync with the video for S2E1.
Ours was a bit off as well. Since this time last week we've watched all of season 1 and half of season 2. what a great show.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

City on Fire was a pretty terrible series with a very good soundtrack.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:41 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:06 pm
Ours was a bit off as well. Since this time last week we've watched all of season 1 and half of season 2. what a great show.
Before watching S2E2 I tried logging out and logging back in, then deleting the app and reinstalling it. STILL the audio is off enough to notice. I tried in the app on my phone this morning, and it still feels a little bit off. Going to try adjusting the TV's audio settings to see if that helps.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.linkedin.com/advice/0/how-d ... ideo-smart

This lacks some specifics, but looks like fiddling with your audio set-up might be a good path.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Xmas Eve episode of The Bear gave me about 8 anxiety attacks, and holy fuck...what a cast!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Bear is awesome.
[+] spoiler
Holy fuck, episode 6. Everything about it was fucking nuts. And it's an hour long episode too. That damn episode deserves an award.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm The Bear is awesome.
[+] spoiler
Holy fuck, episode 6. Everything about it was fucking nuts. And it's an hour long episode too. That damn episode deserves an award.
Okay, that was definitely fucked up! It's not like it was a live episode or anything. Look at the timestamps! Crazy maths right there!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:23 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm The Bear is awesome.
[+] spoiler
Okay, that was definitely fucked up! It's not like it was a live episode or anything. Look at the timestamps! Crazy maths right there!
Years to weeks is actually a pretty simple maths.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“I’m gonna fuckin’ kill you, Driving Crooner!”
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:42 am “I’m gonna fuckin’ kill you, Driving Crooner!”
https://www.stickerbull.com/en-ca/produ ... cker-decal
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Slow Horses is so good.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:22 pm Slow Horses is so good.
The books are entertaining also.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:00 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:22 pm Slow Horses is so good.
The books are entertaining also.
Haven't read the books but my dad has. Slow Horses is a lot of fun. Hoping to get a S3.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:38 pm I am more and more cognizant that the drunker I get the more I sound like Dr Steve Brule
I love this show so much….
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We made it maybe 6 minutes into The Bear before we realized we didn’t want that kind of anxiety. So we watched Hijack instead.