USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: USMNT - 2026 Cycle - "Early Days"

Post by Rex »

Seems like Jamaica is taking this tournament far more seriously than anyone else (we’ll see about Mexico) and it’s showing. Maybe a USA-Jamaica final?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

After seeing St. Kitts & Nevis go nutter for the first 5 minutes, I thought this might be a fun one…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jesus Ferreira is our answer at the #9!!!

So hard not to make a Jesus is our savior joke.

And my mom just texted “at least St Kitts can play on the other side of the field now.”
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I will say this... The squad was out there fucking around about zero percent of the time. Sometimes you can let your game wander when you're up 2-0 inside of 15 minutes. These guys knew the assignment.

The first two finishes were clinical as all get out. Reynolds, in particular, is a lot harder than people realize. How often do those shots go laughably wrong?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dunno man. Lot more to do with quality of opponent to me. Not so sure the two bounce stutter step into it volley is all that hard either. He did hit it accurately and cleanly so nice goal but you shouldn't be skying that one. Cade cowell looks slow but I'll keep watching
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And yet, guys sky those ALL THE TIME... Any given EPL game you'll see at least one instance of a guy being moderately open and putting the ball in the upper deck.

It looks easy when they pure it... They very rarely get it that cleanly.

Your point is valid... Most teams don't let you have a clean go at the top of the 18.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

No comments on the HUGE performance to win the Gold Cup Group? I forgot to record the game before leaving town and forgot to watch when I was sitting in my hotel room with nothing to do... Oh well. Just watched the highlights, and while it's easy to blow it off as a B- team against a weak opponent, I can't help thinking back to WCQ in 2017 and it's important to keep that in perspective. As much as I like to use Jesus Ferreira as a punchline for GGG bringing in a guy who isn't up to the task of playing high level teams... guy is pretty damned clinical in front of the net and as calm as anyone I've ever seen, and I didn't realize he is only 22! I shouldn't write him off so quickly. He also makes extremely intelligent runs off the ball. Nice to see Cowell get a goal after squandering a bunch of chances. He was gifted a breakaway, but his composure in beating the goalie and then toying with a defender was incredibly impressive for a first international goal.

Looking back at the 2017 team, WTF happened to Bobby Wood? He had so much promise as a kid, was doing really in the Bundesliga then suddenly collapsed and disappeared. Last I heard he was struggling for minutes on a Bundesliga 2 side. Shame it didn't work out for him.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:17 amLooking back at the 2017 team, WTF happened to Bobby Wood? He had so much promise as a kid, was doing really in the Bundesliga then suddenly collapsed and disappeared. Last I heard he was struggling for minutes on a Bundesliga 2 side. Shame it didn't work out for him.
He's in MLS, doing so-so. 12 goals in 49 appearances with RSL and New England. With RSL he was injured a lot and it seemed like most of his appearances were as a sub.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jesus needs to go to Europe.

It's hard to take too much from these last 2 games. I like that they are gelling and maxing out the talent, with a few notable exceptions. They are moving the ball really well and only giving up a few chances on the back end.

Roldan, just... why? Great example of a player who by all accounts is a glue guy, but just does very little with the ball at his feet. Cade has promise, but he has the hint of Jordan Morris about him. Better technically, but I'm not sure he slots in with the A team at this point. That's a guy that would REALLY benefit from better competition in training.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Probably should go and flame out and get better but how many teams in big european leagues looking for mediocre primary strikers that dont create their own chances? Most of the goals by this version of the team have been of the shitty hockey goal variety. Good to have those guys that just find the right place at the right time in the box but no one looks for that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, we're all on the same general page that he's not a top European striker... I just don't know where to put the guy on the overall spectrum until he does what Dike, Sargent and Pepi have done.

(Not for nothing, but if you look at Balogun's highlights from last season, there's a lot of poaching going on. Part of the Jedi shit that good strikers engage in is exactly like hockey... They know how to drift off the back shoulder of their marker, or wiggle into a suddenly open space and... bam, goal.)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah us has had a few I remember like that. Valuable especially if others suck but I'd give more credit to the wiggle if it got him on the end of something vs slop in the box.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:38 pm Well, we're all on the same general page that he's not a top European striker... I just don't know where to put the guy on the overall spectrum until he does what Dike, Sargent and Pepi have done.

(Not for nothing, but if you look at Balogun's highlights from last season, there's a lot of poaching going on. Part of the Jedi shit that good strikers engage in is exactly like hockey... They know how to drift off the back shoulder of their marker, or wiggle into a suddenly open space and... bam, goal.)
I've gotten nothing against poachers, as long as they can do it at the highest level. Ferreira proved he can score against weak competition. If he could score the same type of goals against top tier competition, by all means, play him. From what we have seen so far, he isn't capable of getting into dangerous positions against good teams. He is still young, maybe he can grow, but I don't think he will if he stays in MLS. He seems successful at MLS, but you aren't going to learn how to succeed at a higher level if you are succeeding at a low level.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm seeing Pulisic to Milan is a done deal.

Good! Better league for him and certainly just by the most obvious of statements, a much less crowded bench to emerge from.

The kid that played in the Nation's League last month is a guy that excel in Italy. More space, less physical (slightly)... Just a more open style in that league.

Happy for him. Never liked the Chelsea move...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:48 pm I'm seeing Pulisic to Milan is a done deal.

Good! Better league for him and certainly just by the most obvious of statements, a much less crowded bench to emerge from.

The kid that played in the Nation's League last month is a guy that excel in Italy. More space, less physical (slightly)... Just a more open style in that league.

Happy for him. Never liked the Chelsea move...
Hopefully less risk of injury in a less physical league, too. Does he have a decent chance of earning minutes in Milan? Been years since I've followed Serie A at all.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yes, from what I've read, he's positioned well to get minutes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Big fan of this move for him. At one point I heard they were hot for Musah as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dirty pool when competitors sites (hey CBS Sports) also insist this game is starting at 7:30 when it’s really 8.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Man down!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Was not taking first substitute of the game being linesman.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Best name in concacaf officials stepping in to cover
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I like Cowell but I reserve the right to claim I never did. Really wish he didn’t play on a wing where we already have depth and talent.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Way to redeem yourself. Did not look good but hat was on him
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Unserious country having a property brother / center-back take a penalty.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:43 pm I think I like Cowell but I reserve the right to claim I never did. Really wish he didn’t play on a wing where we already have depth and talent.
We can all agree that his haircut is awful...and that is a tough bar to pass for soccer players.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Now that kid looks good... Canada
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No one is enjoying this more than those Guatemalans who decided to make the best of the night after the previous game.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dane St. Claire is having a nice night. Want the US to win but appreciate showing by the Terp.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

There ought to be some good side bet games for pens
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

This first guy looks like a vet
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yuk
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ohhhhh
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Turner too good?
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Enjoyed that but what the fuck was Robinson doing? Lucky on the first one.

Family thing I was in CT for was baptism of nieces son. Her husband is from Guatemala so we watched that one with him and his brother which was fun.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:36 am
Family thing I was in CT for was baptism of nieces son. Her husband is from Guatemala so we watched that one with him and his brother which was fun.
Were they kicking your ankles nonstop? I’m used to seeing Guatemalans constantly hacking Americans during soccer games.

Around the 85th minute I was thinking the only interesting thing about the game was the linesman getting injured. Boy did that change. After the first goal, I thought it was over. After Canada’s second, I thought it was over. And I know I said I need to ease up on Ferreira, but against a little better competition (Canada’s B+ team?), he completely disappeared.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not just him. And some got mostly exposed early. If busio will pack on 20 lbs of muscle he's at the level. Sands seems to know what to do. Vasquez is right sized
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:35 pm Dirty pool when competitors sites (hey CBS Sports) also insist this game is starting at 7:30 when it’s really 8.
thank you.

so fucking annoying.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ridiculous game. US' C team is barely better than Canada's B- team... Yay??

Busio looked decent, Cade had flashes. Gressel can cross but he's a real 'mare in other aspects. Young CB almost cost us the game a few times.

Just in general, this team is WAY. TOO. SLOW. moving the ball and in their overall soccer IQ.

Not trying to be a dick, but this is exactly what I'm talking about in terms of the MLS mentality. They just take too long to think about the next run/pass/cross/shot. It's all stand with the ball at your feet and survey, instead of clicking passes and making runs BEFORE the ball gets to them. It's subtle, but a massive difference from the way the A team plays.

They might luckbox their way into winning this thing, but I highly doubt it. The Mexico A- team at this tournament is way better. Heck, the Jamaica team is waaaay more talented.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

That is just silly...yeah quality of competition comes into factor,
Not including penalty shootouts, Matt Turner has saved 11 of the 25 penalties he has faced for club and country across his professional career, which amounts to a spectacular 44 percent save rate.
One of the all time great PK goalies was Nick Rimando. In the MLS kickers were 59-of-92 against him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:55 am They just take too long to think about the next run/pass/cross/shot. It's all stand with the ball at your feet and survey, instead of clicking passes and making runs BEFORE the ball gets to them. It's subtle, but a massive difference from the way the A team plays.
Years ago I was listening to the Sports Junkies. They were talking about Shawn Kuykendall. Played for DC United and Red Bull. But also played on the team with the sports radio hosts before passing away from Cancer at 32 (there is a bench in his honor at one of the fields I play on that says his name and "Bazilly").

Anyway when they were talking about him, they were discussing how he used to teach the hosts about the difference on passing to specific feet/places, receiving certain ways, and what to do before the ball comes to you (the conversation was how he used the equipment in his hospital room to demonstrate). Anyway, caused me to go deep into video, training, etc when I was coaching on that. Find myself noticing the pass and receiving in a very different way than before. Specifically checking back in midfield and tight passing to attack near the 18/wings for crossing opportunities.