Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:55 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:19 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:33 am The son of our good friends is going to be a freshman at Ithaca this September. I’ll tell them about the hotel situation.
Nobody goes to Ithaca College graduation.
Said the Buffalo grad?
Damn, that's cold! If I went to Buff State, you'd have a point.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

chuckling in 716 over here
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Took the girl to the alma mater. Good times. Smaller than what seemed like the entire universe back then. Good dad daughter talks about things that needed to be discussed and lots of memories... BUT I indulged with a plate at the spot I remembered and had to ditch the draws at the Applebee's on the way back to grandma. Fuck man. Time for the next gen
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus Christ dude.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I peed in a bathroom on UPitt’s campus today. We’re the same.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:45 pm Took the girl to the alma mater. Good times. Smaller than what seemed like the entire universe back then. Good dad daughter talks about things that needed to be discussed and lots of memories... BUT I indulged with a plate at the spot I remembered and had to ditch the draws at the Applebee's on the way back to grandma. Fuck man. Time for the next gen
I think this deserves a much longer, detailed post. At least need to hear what the dish was. And your poor daughter!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

This was our second trip so I might have talked it up last year but we’ve seen more places since and the Cathedral of Learning is by far the most impressive campus feature I’ve seen.

I think Pitt is back to being her top non-Ivy, so if she gets any $ and a chance to run there I’d be happy..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or you could just drive her.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No great story. Tasted bad but I ate it. Felt like gas. Wasn't. Ordinarily ass cheeks would limit the damage but guess I'm just old. Little seepage below the crust. Worst part was I wasn't sure and needed to check so worse. And what the fuck do I do now. Hit the windows and kept driving to get dinner. Daughter asked why so long. Did avoid a hug with grandma and managed to shower before a seat. One step closer to behind the woodshed. Saw some parents grandparents for camps. I've seen the future and it does not look friendly.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 pm No great story. Tasted bad but I ate it. Felt like gas. Wasn't. Ordinarily ass cheeks would limit the damage but guess I'm just old. Little seepage below the crust. Worst part was I wasn't sure and needed to check so worse. And what the fuck do I do now. Hit the windows and kept driving to get dinner. Daughter asked why so long. Did avoid a hug with grandma and managed to shower before a seat. One step closer to behind the woodshed. Saw some parents grandparents for camps. I've seen the future and it does not look friendly.
“Sir, I just need to know if you want to supersize your combo meal.”
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Don’t stick your teeth in expired
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So the assistant coach the kid met with at Pitt last week, who was nice enough to answer our questions and drive us all around campus and give us tours of athletic facilities, was just announced as the new head XC coach at Appalachian State. I guess she needs to start working on building another relationship at Pitt.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:53 am So the assistant coach the kid met with at Pitt last week, who was nice enough to answer our questions and drive us all around campus and give us tours of athletic facilities, was just announced as the new head XC coach at Appalachian State. I guess she needs to start working on building another relationship at Pitt.
Or plan on living in Boone.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:36 am
rass wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:53 am So the assistant coach the kid met with at Pitt last week, who was nice enough to answer our questions and drive us all around campus and give us tours of athletic facilities, was just announced as the new head XC coach at Appalachian State. I guess she needs to start working on building another relationship at Pitt.
Or plan on living in Boone.
Fair. She hasn't wanted to visit any schools south of UDel (yet) so probably safe. Not that she was that attached to him, but I guess I should be glad he didn't stay in conference and head to UNC or Duke or Wake.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Worth a trip to Boone just for scenery. XC there must be hell. Spent a weekend at app but can't remember why I was there. Made my way to Blacksburg after the incident and pretty drive
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I made a whirlwind road trip to Boone in 2003 to see Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. Left for Dallas right after the show and it took us 6 hours to get to Asheville due to a massive winter storm. Very cool town for the small amount of time I was there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Or head to Boone!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 am I made a whirlwind road trip to Boone in 2003 to see Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. Left for Dallas right after the show and it took us 6 hours to get to Asheville due to a massive winter storm. Very cool town for the small amount of time I was there.
Jesus! That's less than two hours normally. I'm sure those mountain roads were a ton of fun in a winter storm too.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Oldest is going in to his senior year. He hasn't had much interest in going anywhere than Penn State. We took him to Va Tech and UVA just so he can see other places. Trying to be good parents and make the choice his own. He didn't like either of them. Might do a few other tours, but it seems his mind is made up.

I was shocked by how much they don' show you on the tours. No dorms, dining halls, etc... For UVA we only went in one building. A library and we never left the lobby. Va Tech wasn't much better. Out of state tuition + room/board around $70k is nuts. Not sure how many pull that off. I'm feeling much better with the 75% tuition discount we get as PSU staff, but it's still a crazy #.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:49 am
Giff wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 am I made a whirlwind road trip to Boone in 2003 to see Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds. Left for Dallas right after the show and it took us 6 hours to get to Asheville due to a massive winter storm. Very cool town for the small amount of time I was there.
Jesus! That's less than two hours normally. I'm sure those mountain roads were a ton of fun in a winter storm too.
It was my first time driving in that kind of weather and not going to lie, tears were shed.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:10 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:49 am
It was my first time driving in that kind of weather and not going to lie, tears were shed.
That wouldn't have been the only bodily fluids I would have leaked.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:03 am Oldest is going in to his senior year. He hasn't had much interest in going anywhere than Penn State. We took him to Va Tech and UVA just so he can see other places. Trying to be good parents and make the choice his own. He didn't like either of them. Might do a few other tours, but it seems his mind is made up.

I was shocked by how much they don' show you on the tours. No dorms, dining halls, etc... For UVA we only went in one building. A library and we never left the lobby. Va Tech wasn't much better. Out of state tuition + room/board around $70k is nuts. Not sure how many pull that off. I'm feeling much better with the 75% tuition discount we get as PSU staff, but it's still a crazy #.
Been on several tours that didn't show dorms, and I was really surprised. Even more surprising was the choice of dorms. At Binghamton, most of the dorms are less than 5 years old and look beautiful on the outside. They took us into a dorm built in 1968 that was a concrete and brick eyesore. Same with Seton Hall, he described the nice dorms as we walked past, then took us into a crappy one. Cafeterias and Student Unions often locked. Guides say they are supposed to have access, but couldn't. Kind of sucks to travel to schools and not get to see much.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:01 pmThat wouldn't have been the only bodily fluids I would have leaked.
Pervert.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Of all the visits we have taken in the past year, Columbia College Chicago was the most in depth. Helps that it is small, but we went into classrooms, talked to professors, toured one of the "dorms". Kid loved it. She would love to go to school in Chicago. Big difference from West Lafayette, Bloomington, or Muncie. Her next choice I think is IU-Indianapolis (at least that is what it will be called in the fall of '24, no longer IUPUI). What is crazy about IUI is that there are only 2000-2500 beds on campus for a campus of just under 28k. It does have more of a typical college feel to it then Columbia does, but also feels like a ghost town after most of the students commute home for the day.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Going to be in Dedham, MA for the weekend while the oldest attends a XC camp with Northeastern. Arriving late Friday evening and leaving late Sunday afternoon. Any suggestions for things for me to check out in the immediate area (not heading into Boston) while on my own (breakfast, lunch, or other non-food related ideas)? Would thinking about heading towards the coast (Quincy?) for dinner late Saturday afternoon/early Saturday evening be a completely crazy idea in August, or just hit or miss like heading to the Jersey shore this time of year?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:33 pm Going to be in Dedham, MA for the weekend while the oldest attends a XC camp with Northeastern. Arriving late Friday evening and leaving late Sunday afternoon. Any suggestions for things for me to check out in the immediate area (not heading into Boston) while on my own (breakfast, lunch, or other non-food related ideas)? Would thinking about heading towards the coast (Quincy?) for dinner late Saturday afternoon/early Saturday evening be a completely crazy idea in August, or just hit or miss like heading to the Jersey shore this time of year?
Looks like Trillium's Canton brewery is 10 minutes from Dedham! I would just go there and not leave. My favorite brewery, but I haven't been to the Canton location.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Forgot the “daddy needs to stay sober” stipulation. Maybe we can Uber there for dinner depending on what she feels like eating the night after/before a day at XC camp.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:33 pm Forgot the “daddy needs to stay sober” stipulation. Maybe we can Uber there for dinner depending on what she feels like eating the night after/before a day at XC camp.
If I were there, I'd load the trunk up with $500 worth of cans and bottles. Last two business trips to Boston I brought an extra empty suitcase to fill at Trillium.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Pats mini-camp
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm at Nantasket Beach right now which is less than an hour away with no annoying Cape Cod traffic. Blue Hills is a very popular hiking area around there. Come to Mighty Squirrel in Waltham and order two off menu drinks I inadvertently invented on Monday- the Walthhammer and/or the Alan Wrench.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dedham is mostly shopping and car dealers. Ocean state job lot! Movies. Ty Laws jumpy place? Fancy bowling/bad club? Went to that trillium last week. beer is still good. I second blue hills but mostly cause its the closest nature to my childhood home. Still missing three days of memory cause of that hill. Hyde park is boston but very close to dedham part of boston.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:50 pm I'm at Nantasket Beach right now which is less than an hour away with no annoying Cape Cod traffic.
I think I saw that on the map. If she’s up to it and I can reasonably expect to not get stuck in hours worth of beach traffic that’s what I’m talking about.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:34 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:50 pm I'm at Nantasket Beach right now which is less than an hour away with no annoying Cape Cod traffic.
I think I saw that on the map. If she’s up to it and I can reasonably expect to not get stuck in hours worth of beach traffic that’s what I’m talking about.
It's about 30 minutes away from the highway and GPS takes me a different route everytime. I always managed to avoid peak traffic times so I don't know how bad it can get, but there is no way it's as bad as going to the Cape.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Trillium is only mildly busy but it’s a really nice space. And they’re doing construction on something new by the retail area.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:14 pm Trillium is only mildly busy but it’s a really nice space. And they’re doing construction on something new by the retail area.
Pick me up a couple 4 packs.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Spent the day wandering around Harvard. My son was finishing up his 2 week course today and had laundry and such before checking out. Brown tomorrow, Yale on Monday and Princeton and Haverford on Tuesday before JHU on Wed.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:15 pm Spent the day wandering around Harvard. My son was finishing up his 2 week course today and had laundry and such before checking out. Brown tomorrow, Yale on Monday and Princeton and Haverford on Tuesday before JHU on Wed.
Shit, take that list to the proud parent thread.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:15 pm Spent the day wandering around Harvard. My son was finishing up his 2 week course today and had laundry and such before checking out. Brown tomorrow, Yale on Monday and Princeton and Haverford on Tuesday before JHU on Wed.
Soooo… no Colorado State, I guess?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:22 pm
Shit, take that list to the proud parent thread.
Well, he did say 'Brown'.

:P
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I could have visited all of them too ..Did not mean I would have gotten into them. Rising Junior so have time but trying to narrow this list and see if there is an early decision opportunity.

He needs to get his rowing 2K a bit faster in rowing to get help on that side of the admissions game.