Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

I liked Indy 5 more than Indy 4, but it was likely just as unnecessary.

I also saw Spiderverse and while it was beautifully and creatively animated and funny and exciting I knew going in that it was pulling the
[+] spoiler
part one of two trick that seems to be all the rage this summer (hi Fast X and MI) so I guess I sort of spent a lot of time waiting for the plot to kick in only to be a little underwhelmed when it finally hit the cliffhanger.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The VGK one is the best (though I’m biased)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My daughter is doing that with her work friends today.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:17 am My daughter is doing that with her work friends today.
Son doing the Oppenheimer with his boyfriend this afternoon. I think I'd die if I tried to sit and watch back to back movies without the ability to pause and use restroom or get snacks, etc.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So many kids in pink today at camp drop off.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anybody on here see Oppenheimer over the weekend? I think I stated on here many months ago that I had no interest in seeing a process movie and what I'm reading in reviews is that the thing is quite tedious.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I saw it and really liked it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m waiting until next weekend since all the IMAX theaters here are still packed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Barbie was Kenomenal.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oppenheimer in 70mm was pretty awesome. The movie was good, but the atmosphere amplified it.

(And I went to an actual 70mm theater too. Not one of the digital ones that claims 70mm.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We saw "Barbie" yesterday, and really enjoyed it. It was funny, and well made.

Random thoughts:
  • Margot Robbie is so pretty that its almost not real.
  • Ryan Gosling is having the most fun of anyone.
  • The Ken Dance number is fantastic
  • I know I've read the comparison elsewhere, but the 'deprogramming' talk is very similar to the "Cool Girl" bit from "Gone Girl"
  • I think the last line is the funniest one in the movie
And any movie that makes knuckleheads like Ben Shapiro lose his mind is a winner in my book.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can’t remember a funnier last line tbh.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:33 am I can’t remember a funnier last line tbh.
The last line in "Some Like It Hot" is pretty great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Office Space.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not gonna put any effort into defending this but first movie that popped into my head was The Lost Boys.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:38 am Not gonna put any effort into defending this but first movie that popped into my head was The Lost Boys.
I would never ask you to defend any positive opinion about that movie. I’m way biased due to its locale, but it’s one of my favorite movies ever.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oppenheimer was amazing i don’t know much about the technical stuff but I’m saying that all of the sound Oscars are in the bag.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Saw Barbie with the family last night. It was everything I expected it to be based on what I'd seen and heard. Just a really smart, well-made movie. The fact that it's a Barbie movie is really pretty mind-blowing. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the Lego movie - another product tie-in movie that had no business being as good as it was. Maybe the secret is having Will Ferrell play a secondary character who's purportedly in charge (but not really).

BTW, I thought of you guys when I heard the Pavement joke. It went by so quick and nobody in my family knows who Steven Malkmus is. It made me laugh though.

Also btw, Margot Robbie is just distractingly pretty. I mean, she's perfect for the role, but I found myself thinking about how pretty she is a lot. I guess that's part of the point.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:45 pm BTW, I thought of you guys when I heard the Pavement joke. It went by so quick and nobody in my family knows who Steven Malkmus is. It made me laugh though.
I thought that joke was really good as well. Lost something in translation when I tried to explain it later (maybe that was the point?)
[+] spoiler
Not as funny as the "You've never seen The Godfather???" bit though.
Also btw, Margot Robbie is just distractingly pretty. I mean, she's perfect for the role, but I found myself thinking about how pretty she is a lot. I guess that's part of the point.
Yes she is.
[+] spoiler
which is why the voice-over explaining that the point would be better made by someone who didn't look like her worked so well.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That voice over was hilarious.

I don't remember if I mentioned it on here or not, but seeing this at the theater actually detracted a bit from the experience. First of all, usual bitching about ppl just being annoying and distracting throughout. One older woman must've taken an edible or something, as she stepped on so much of the movie by laughing at not funny moments. It made a lot of ppl in the theater kind of hesitate to laugh at the actual punchlines. And/or a lot of ppl in the theater just didn't get a lot of the humor.

And then there was the hispanic pair of women where one of them was translating the entire time. She got a glare from multiple ppl. First time in many years I almost went to get a manager. The main reason I didn't is that the theater was pretty under staffed and I didn't want to miss 15 minutes f the movie chasing something down. This was at an AMC, so if you're familiar with the set-up, the entire front section below the main walkway was completely empty. If you're going to be talking/translating the entire movie, find some private space to do so.

ETA - I've never gone and fetched a manager. It was the first time in a long time I thought about doing it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cocaine Bear walked so Slotherhouse could, I dunno, move glacially?

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Watched Happiness for Beginners on Netflix with my wife tonight. Pretty much a Hallmark movie.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Looks like I was onto something... Geez Louise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... -behavior/
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And on Broadway, as well, apparently:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230209035 ... ut-of-hand
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“Hell is other people.” - Sartre
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:02 am So saw a reference to Blindside last night. Made me wonder what happened to Sean Tuohy Jr. (Michael Oher's little brother). I knew he went to Loyola (Baltimore) and played basketball. Did not realize he transferred as a grad student to SMU and played football (as a holder). Now is Associate Athletics Director, Football/Chief of Staff at UCF.
Report: Michael Oher says he was never adopted, tricked into conservatorship, didn't see 'The Blind Side' money
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I never got around to seeing The Blind Side because it looked like white savior bullshit, and now I'm really happy I didn't.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm I never got around to seeing The Blind Side because it looked like white savior bullshit, and now I'm really happy I didn't.
Fwiw, the book was quite a bit different than the film. They obviously wanted to pump up Sandra Bullock’s character’s importance.

But, yeah, the white savior thing…
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:15 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm I never got around to seeing The Blind Side because it looked like white savior bullshit, and now I'm really happy I didn't.
Fwiw, the book was quite a bit different than the film. They obviously wanted to pump up Sandra Bullock’s character’s importance.
I thought the book was great. Just amazing how much Lawrence Taylor changed football, because the elevation of the Left Tackle, Steve Wallace specifically, was to counteract LT from wrecking shit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

As for the book…

I didn’t read it or see the movie because I had the same sort of yuck response ljam did, so I have no idea if this is making too big a deal out of Lewis getting things wrong or not.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

But, yeah, the white savior thing…
It’s about time somebody recognized rich white people for their greatness!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:16 pm
I thought the book was great. Just amazing how much Lawrence Taylor changed football, because the elevation of the Left Tackle, Steve Wallace specifically, was to counteract LT from wrecking shit.
I read a long excerpt from the book, and it was solely focused on that aspect, and how Bill Walsh figured out he needed to stop him from taking Joe Montana's head off. It was super interesting.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sean Tuohy and Michael Lewis were friends from high school. That story is going to paint the Tuohys in a solid light. Same school as Walter Issacson, Odell Beckham, Arch, Cooper, Eli, Peyton Manning, and Mo Williems (you know the Elephant and Piggy guy).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

All I know for certain is that I hated the kid from that movie with the passion of a thousand white hot suns.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:57 am All I know for certain is that I hated the kid from that movie with the passion of a thousand white hot suns.
Seems like this was not his push to stardom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jae_Head
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:26 am
A_B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:57 am All I know for certain is that I hated the kid from that movie with the passion of a thousand white hot suns.
Seems like this was not his push to stardom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jae_Head
Oh I remember him in Hancock too and he was not the fuckstick as he was in The Blind Side.

ETA: Didn't know about the heart problems as an infant, and it isn't his fault that the script called for him to be that way, but that role was just so annoying.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finally got a chance to go see Oppenheimer yesterday. Long movie, but didn't feel like 3 hours really. Really enjoyed it.

Thoughts:
  • Having lived in Los Alamos, it was weird seeing it depicted on film. The scenes with the big meetings/Christmas Party that were filmed in Fuller Lodge, one of the few remaining buildings from the Los Alamos Ranch boys school, was where my high school reunions have been held, and where a bunch of my friends had their weddings.
  • I saw a few people I know in the background as extras
  • Didn't quite understand all the stuff about the isotopes to Norway that caused Lewis Strauss to get so pissed off
  • Robert Downey Jr will definitely get nominated for his part. I would guess Murphy will as well, but Downey would be my odds on favorite to win for Best Supporting Actor
  • Was not ready for the Oppenheimer sex scenes