NFL Free Agency

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: NFL Free Agency

Post by DC47 »

It's rare that there would be high-quality, low-risk QBs running around who you can sign or trade for. So it seems pretty reasonable for the Cowboys to pay up for one who's at least in the top half of NFL starters, and take their shot.

Odds are that it won't work -- but what play is better given their situation? Jettison Romo and try to win with Cassell, Flynn, or Palmer? Try to draft a good QB when you don't have an early pick and it's a very weak year at that position?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I Gots Guns Bitches wrote:romo is a bad decision on legs. I can't stand the cowboys or romo, but no, you can't win a superbowl with him. He is a piece of shit when it counts. Thats why the cowboys will never get to where it really counts.

A few months ago you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't win a Super Bowl with Arian Foster until proven otherwise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Grasspenis wrote:
I Gots Guns Bitches wrote:romo is a bad decision on legs. I can't stand the cowboys or romo, but no, you can't win a superbowl with him. He is a piece of shit when it counts. Thats why the cowboys will never get to where it really counts.

A few months ago you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco.
And you can't win multiple Super Bowls with Peyton Manning
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Also at one point, Drew Brees couldn't win big games.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

That is true.
Brontoburglar wrote:And you can't win multiple Super Bowls with Peyton Manning
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Tom Brady can't win without spying hahahahahahaha!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

One the other hand he has won some AFC championships (and came within about 5 minutes of have two more rings but ya he sucks.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Proven loser for 8 years and counting.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Stop the presses....Rex Grossman is off the market and will continue on with Washington.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote:Can't win a Super Bowl with Arian Foster until proven otherwise.
We know how that's going to end. Don't worry...as always, I'll be OK.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:One the other hand he has won some AFC championships (and came within about 5 minutes of have two more rings but ya he sucks.)

Did you guys have a "within 5 minutes of two more rings" parade? I mean when you put up 14 and 17 you expect to bring home the trophy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Grasspenis wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:One the other hand he has won some AFC championships (and came within about 5 minutes of have two more rings but ya he sucks.)

Did you guys have a "within 5 minutes of two more rings" parade?.
That still would have been less embarrassing for Boston than the Ray Bourque parade.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

dot dot dot within five minutes of losing the three super bowls they won dot dot dot
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush doesn't even realize that he's helping to make the point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Number three on the NFL all-time scoring list is retiring.

The Lions have had two kickers in 33 years. It's going to be weird seeing someone else handling it this season.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Same thing with Raiders fans, when the realize some other dude is punting every series.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

When was the last time the Jets won anything? (Aside from most amusing fumble.)
mister d wrote:Proven loser for 8 years and counting.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Icepenis wrote:Same thing with Raiders fans, when the realize some other dude is punting every series.
Clapping.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:When was the last time the Jets won anything? (Aside from most amusing fumble.)
mister d wrote:Proven loser for 8 years and counting.

DAMN! Rush saying you can't win a Super Bowl with Sanchize!

He's really getting the point of this!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, but he nailed me with that fumble jokeohwaitnohedidntbecausedidyouknowthelawfirmhahahaneverfumblesbutthenheleft
newenglandandtheirdopeyrunningbackknockedhimselfoutandfumbledintheafcchampionshipgamelolhahahacantwinwithridley
orbradyhahaha!!!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pats made an offer to Sanders. Steelers will get a 3rd round pick if they don't match.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'd take the pick.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Vs the reported $4MM or so for next season? Yeah.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Icepenis wrote:I'd take the pick.
Yeah, maybe they can use it to move up to get Milliner or Jordan if they're in striking distance. Of course, they'll be in the market for a receiver too.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:
Yeah, maybe they can use it to move up to get Milliner or Jordan if they're in striking distance. Of course, they'll be in the market for a receiver too.

Absolutely no reason to trade up for Milliner. Jordan I don't think is worth it either. Weak top of the draft.

They can probably just get another middling WR in round 3.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Icepenis wrote:
Jerloma wrote:

Absolutely no reason to trade up for Milliner. Jordan I don't think is worth it either. Weak top of the draft.

They can probably just get another middling WR in round 3.
No, use it to trade up to No. 5 and get Milliner. I'd be happy if the Lions got some picks to trade back to the middle of the first round if they can't get Joeckel or Fisher.
Johnny Hotcakes
Brandt

Post by Johnny Hotcakes »

Totally agree, Brian. There doesn't seem to be a compelling difference between what you can get at 5 and what you can get at 15. Most mocks I've seen recently now have Ezekiel Ansah going in the top 5, and that would scare the shit out of me if my favourite team was in that mix. Raw athletic freak new to the game with limited college production? Not in the top 5, thank you.
Popin' ain't easy
timgod99X
Jackie Treehorn

Post by timgod99X »

brian wrote:No, use it to trade up to No. 5 and get Milliner. I'd be happy if the Lions got some picks to trade back to the middle of the first round if they can't get Joeckel or Fisher.
My thoughts on the Eagles at No. 4 as well. Hoping someone thinks Detroit or Cleveland wants Millner, or that two of the top three left tackles go in the top three picks making Arizona/Miami/? move up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, if the Lions take Ansah, I'm going to...well, probably sigh very deeply and shake my head.

Mayhew loves DL, so they might very well end up taking him, then again Ansah is a little bit of a project and they're under heat to win now in Detroit, so I think he may go with the safer choice (Milliner) if Fisher or Joeckel aren't there. Put another way -- they need someone that they can slot into the starting lineup on Day 1 and Ansah ain't that guy.

(Really that pretty much goes for any team drafting in the top 5. With the exception of QB, if you're not drafting a guy who isn't going to start Week 1, you're doing it wrong.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ansah is a hot commodity as a 3-4 OLB. I doubt very highly that the Lions have significant value attached to him.
FredRomero

Post by FredRomero »

Jerloma wrote:Pats made an offer to Sanders. Steelers will get a 3rd round pick if they don't match.
On a scale of Welker/Randy Moss to Donald Hayes/Ochocinco, what should I expect from Sanders?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A Welker-y type who drops even more passes, runs much faster in 40-yard dashes on a track than in an NFL game, and fumbles the ball when no one touches him. On the plus side, he gets hurt a lot and can't fumble when he's hurt.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

FredRomero wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Pats made an offer to Sanders. Steelers will get a 3rd round pick if they don't match.
On a scale of Welker/Randy Moss to Donald Hayes/Ochocinco, what should I expect from Sanders?
Equidistant from either side. I actually think he could catch 75-80 balls on the Pats. He's quick like Welker and has good hands, probably not as good a route runner though. Although he did have this weird knack of fumbling the ball last year but that was pretty much the entire offense. Average kick returner.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Icepenis wrote:A Welker-y type who drops even more passes, runs much faster in 40-yard dashes on a track than in an NFL game, and fumbles the ball when no one touches him. On the plus side, he gets hurt a lot and can't fumble when he's hurt.
You think he has bad hands? Really? I don't recall that. I recall him making some amazing catches as a matter of fact.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

timgod99X wrote:Hoping someone thinks Detroit or Cleveland wants Millner, or that two of the top three left tackles go in the top three picks making Arizona/Miami/? move up.
The general thinking here in Cleveland is they will try to move down to get a second-round pick. They lost their 2nd rounder when they took Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft last year.

If the Browns don't get a trade offer they like and Milliner is still available, they'll take him.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:
Icepenis wrote:A Welker-y type who drops even more passes, runs much faster in 40-yard dashes on a track than in an NFL game, and fumbles the ball when no one touches him. On the plus side, he gets hurt a lot and can't fumble when he's hurt.
You think he has bad hands? Really? I don't recall that. I recall him making some amazing catches as a matter of fact.

Yeah, I have a memory of quite a few Sanders drops. Maybe I just don't notice when he catches the ball.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote:
timgod99X wrote:Hoping someone thinks Detroit or Cleveland wants Millner, or that two of the top three left tackles go in the top three picks making Arizona/Miami/? move up.
The general thinking here in Cleveland is they will try to move down to get a second-round pick. They lost their 2nd rounder when they took Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft last year.

If the Browns don't get a trade offer they like and Milliner is still available, they'll take him.
If Millner isn't available, I hope they trade way down.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Apparently, the Ravens are in the running to sign Rolando McLain. If the deal is affordable, is there a downside? If he flakes out again, they can just release him.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote:Apparently, the Ravens are in the running to sign Rolando McLain. If the deal is affordable, is there a downside? If he flakes out again, they can just release him.
He was really poor for the Raiders and a cancer in the locker room, if the local media is to be believed, and is still getting in off-field trouble, even this offseason. But, he was a big star in college, so there must be talent there. Maybe Ray Lewis can come be a mentor for him (I'm serious - he seems immature and burned by his tenure in Oakland, maybe he just needs a football father figure that he respects.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian