Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Giff »

If I had to pick an episode of Friends to re-live, it wouldn't be the one with the smoke detector that won't stop beeping. Disconnected from ceiling and battery removed...still chirping.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah I guess it’s a common thing. In my head, I still re-live cringe and mild trauma from many decades ago. Much more often than I recall life’s triumphs.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:30 am Yeah I guess it’s a common thing. In my head, I still re-live cringe and mild trauma from many decades ago. Much more often than I recall life’s triumphs.
And it only happens at 3:00 am. I have an unusually shaped house and some of the areas echo, so it's damned hard to locate the offending alarm. They are also wired into the house, so I can't completely turn them off. Had an issue when we first moved in where they would periodically go off, and not chirping, but full alarm. And if one goes off, they all go off. Again, only happening between 1:00 am -4:00 am. I called the fire department, when I told them the brand, he said they go off in new construction due to dust and there is no way to tell which one it is.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You know that Seinfeld ep where George doesn't go upstairs with his date because he didn't realize "coffee" didn't actually mean drinking coffee? That's me 1,000,000x
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

UPDATE: if fire and carbon monoxide wanted us, now's the time!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:30 am Yeah I guess it’s a common thing. In my head, I still re-live cringe and mild trauma from many decades ago. Much more often than I recall life’s triumphs.
I remember errors that I made in little league games!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:18 am You know that Seinfeld ep where George doesn't go upstairs with his date because he didn't realize "coffee" didn't actually mean drinking coffee? That's me 1,000,000x
Wilt Lameberlain.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:32 amI remember errors that I made in little league games!
This is a weird one, but I remember an error I almost made most vividly. Senior league finals when I was a younger guy on the team and was playing in the OF for like the first time all season because our dumb coach wanted the best gloves out there regardless of usual spots. Hooking line drive hit at me, probably the only ball I've caught with two hands since I was like 8 and if I didn't have the other hand there, I drop it. Still can induce panic thinking about it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:32 am
I remember errors that I made in little league games!
My last year of little league we won the preseason tournament on a walk-off HR by my best friend. We didn't have coaches at each base, just third. Which meant one of the players "coached" first base. I was the designated player that inning and as he rounded first I decided to jump up and down with him around the entire way around the diamond. When we got to home, I remember one of the coaches grabbing me saying we could've been disqualified for that which embarrassed the hell out of me. Still think about that all the damn time.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:36 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:32 amI remember errors that I made in little league games!
This is a weird one, but I remember an error I almost made most vividly. Senior league finals when I was a younger guy on the team and was playing in the OF for like the first time all season because our dumb coach wanted the best gloves out there regardless of usual spots. Hooking line drive hit at me, probably the only ball I've caught with two hands since I was like 8 and if I didn't have the other hand there, I drop it. Still can induce panic thinking about it.
I never did two hands and the coaches hated it even if I never recall dropping any after a certain age. I do remember in my last game playing 2b and someone hit a line drive to me. I did use two hands on that one except I put my bare hand in front of the glove instead of not in front of it. That hurt (still caught it though).

If they had a designated fielder, I could've played baseball a lot longer.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I remember two vividly...
  • 12 years old...last year of little league. Coach finally let me play CF instead of my usual spot in LF. Guy on second, and a base hit comes right up the middle. I charge the ball, thinking I'm going to be the big hero and throw out the runner at the plate. But...yep, you guessed it...I took my eye off the ball and it goes between my legs. I wanted to find a hole and crawl into it forever.
  • 15 years old...playing Mickey Mantle. I'm playing third, with a man on second. The pitcher isn't paying attention, so the runner on second takes off to steal third. The pitcher looks up, and throws a heater to me at third to try and get the runner. I wasn't expecting it, and the ball ticks off the end of my glove and catches me flush in the nose. Yes, the runner scored...and yes, I broke my nose...and yes, I had so much blood streaming down my face that my mom almost fainted in the stands.
Now, don't get me started on sailing mis-cues...including getting yelled at by a Rolex Yachtsman of the Year/Olympic Gold Medal/America's Cup winner when I got an over-ride on one of the running backstays on his 48-foot boat. I believe his exact words were "You going to blow up my fucking rig". This was over 20 years ago, and he has no memory of it, but I remember it vividly. And I always tell people "I've been yelled at by the best!".
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

This is fun, and dredging up some trauma I almost forgot about. Two stand out for me:

Semifinals of my roller hockey intramural league senior year of college. This was a very competitive league. Playing against our archrivals, whom we never beat (mostly seniors on both teams, both teams formed sophomore year and played in the same division every semester, so basically 6 season of rivalry). We were down by one goal with 10 seconds to go. My teammate (future best man at my wedding) was lining up a shot from the slot with a mass of bodies in front. I was off to the side of the net, screaming for the puck. He changed his motion mid shot and slotted a pass over to me. I went for the one-timer and looked up at the goal while shooting, goalie was leaving me the entire near post. I saw the open goal...but not the puck. Whiffed the shot and it went through my skates. Best man still brings it up every few years, saying he regrets not shooting and making fun of me. I had dreams about that moment for over 10 years. Probably doesn't help as that was the last 10 seconds of my college roller hockey career.

Other moment was playing goalie in an indoor soccer tournament when I was 10 or 11. I broke my finger during warmups (coach was an ER doctor, examined after the game) but didn't say anything because I wanted to play. I let in a soft goal early, went through my hands as it hit the broken finger. Then the mistake that sticks... defender kicked a long, high clearance heading towards my box. I started to come out for it, then hesitated to play it off the bounce. Playing on a gym floor, it took a huge bounce over my head and into the net. My coach yelled at me to never let a ball land in the box, and that lesson always stuck with me and I've taught that to several goalies in my coaching days. Amazing how 36 years later, I still feel the shame and humiliation. I should add we lost the game 5-4.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Today's NYT crossword has "WAPO" as an answer and today's Washington Post crossword has "NYT" as an answer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Most of my old cringe memories relate to Girls/women and dumbass things I did in that regard. But since we’re dredging up sports ones…

I was 15 and on the jayvee wrestling team. We traveled to a a rural small town all-day tournament against varsity teams from much smaller schools. I made the finals in my 98(!) pound weight class, matched against a guy from the host town/school. The finals were in the evening and the whole hick town was there, especially for matches featuring local boys, so it was a full gym. Those small town farmboys weren’t particularly skilled, but were often strong as oxes. I was cruising, well ahead on points, in the final period, when he got hold on me and slammed me on my back, hard. Next thing I knew, the referee slapped the mat and the match was over on a pin fall. The little gym’s roof about came off as all the locals screamed their heads off. My coaches had their faces on their palms as I staggered off the mat.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:04 pm Most of my old cringe memories relate to Girls/women and dumbass things I did in that regard.
That deserves its own thread. I could have filled a book with those, but fortunately the memories faded. My sister-in-law saved my relationship with my wife early in the courting process by talking her down and saying all men are eggheads and do egghead things.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

One of the worst moments of my life...

Summer - 17 vears old and going to a party where the girl I loved (really LOVED) was going to be at. I knew she kind of liked me, so this was going to be the night where we danced and talked and maybe kissed. Drove over, a nervous wreck, and by the time I got there, the back of my nice dressy shirt was completely soaked and stuck to my back. I did everything I could think of, even standing by an ac vent, but it just got worse.

Left after less than an hour.

She stuck around and within a few days had a boyfriend.

My toes are curled up as I type this 42 summers later.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a soccer one that a) is very painful even 30 years later and b) I don't feel like typing up right now.

Weirdly, I don't really have a baseball one that stands out. Most of my vivid memories are of positive plays, one of which got captured by a photographer and got into the Montgomery County Gazette with the header "Flying Fielder." That was fucking money. I also struck out one of Bo Schembechler's grandsons in little league.

I mean, I booted plenty of balls at 3b but my main position was CF and I just wasn't really in a position to get stupid out there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The retailer pushing the credit card surcharge onto the customer sucks. I get it, but it's so fucking annoying because you won't really find out until you're ready to ring out.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:46 pm The retailer pushing the credit card surcharge onto the customer sucks. I get it, but it's so fucking annoying because you won't really find out until you're ready to ring out.
Doesn't accept credit cards provide a benefit to retailers? Like they don't have to have cashiers handling cash, wasting time, pulling money from registers, making change for cashiers... and of course allowing customers to pay, since few people carry cash anymore?
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, the answer to that is, yes, companies (especially restaurants) usually prefer credit cards. There are a few reasons to deal only/mostly in cash and it's usually due to a lack of sophistication regarding book keeping (that's as diplomatica a term as I can think of).

The flip side of all this is when you do business in an area that is historically "under banked" where folks don't have bank accounts or credit cards. There are many cities that have put in place ordinances that require businesses to accept cash for this reason.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:11 pm So, the answer to that is, yes, companies (especially restaurants) usually prefer credit cards. There are a few reasons to deal only/mostly in cash and it's usually due to a lack of sophistication regarding book keeping (that's as diplomatica a term as I can think of).
I call that tax evasion or money laundering.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We just had our yearly maintenance check done on our tankless water heater.

The guy looked like the mid-20's version of Chuckie Finster from "Rugrats"...with the glasses and everything.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Man, reading through, some of you have moments you wish to forget. I have entire epochs.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife is on quite a Wordle hot streak. In the past five days she’s gotten it in one, once, and in two, twice. No hints or anything.

Meanwhile, her husband struggles to hit the glass when he pours wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I use earth too.

Eta Guess that was a while ago. Earth been coming up 3-4 letters last few days and earth was the words not long ago
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:10 pm I use earth too.

Eta Guess that was a while ago. Earth been coming up 3-4 letters last few days and earth was the words not long ago
That has been one of my starters lately, and while I'm not in Mrs. SC's league, I have been doing a lot of 3s and a couple 2s
Canadian International
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Got a happy birthday postcard from the pink pony. Not sure it's appreciated complementary admission coupon or otherwise
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:13 pm Got a happy birthday postcard from the pink pony. Not sure it's appreciated complementary admission coupon or otherwise
Happy VD
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Swamp meet-up
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:03 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:10 pm I use earth too.

That has been one of my starters lately, and while I'm not in Mrs. SC's league, I have been doing a lot of 3s and a couple 2s
My strategy for a long time now is "toner" first and then "hails". It's rare that I have fewer than 3 letters at that point and it's usually not hard to finish in 3 or 4.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I recently got a set of seam rippers, and I learned something recently. There are way too many tags on clothes anymore. I took off FIVE tags from a graphic T-shirt.

Do we really need washing instructions in 2023? This seems like you could just use Google, or if that's not available, failure being one's best teacher.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:33 am I recently got a set of seam rippers, and I learned something recently. There are way too many tags on clothes anymore. I took off FIVE tags from a graphic T-shirt.

Do we really need washing instructions in 2023? This seems like you could just use Google, or if that's not available, failure being one's best teacher.
I bought a t-shirt at a Rockies game recently and it has (well had) a tag on the bottom seam. Annoying as F.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I've learned that nothing infiltrates your YouTube algorithm more than watching one goddamn "guy reacts to music" video
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:00 am I've learned that nothing infiltrates your YouTube algorithm more than watching one goddamn "guy reacts to music" video
Yup. I watched one video from a dude who reacted to hearing Rage Against The Machine for the first time (because it was simply suggested) and now I'm subscribed to Drumeo because Domino Santantonio is really cute.

A cousin to this is cooking videos.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Anyone know a criminal defense attorney in San Diego? My nephew is in a ton of trouble.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 pm Anyone know a criminal defense attorney in San Diego? My nephew is in a ton of trouble.
No, sorry.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nope. Sorry. Good luck.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thanks y’all. I figured not and really just needed a place to vent. My brother sent me a cryptic message asking if I work closely with any law firms in San Diego via my job. I then miss a call from a number out there which turns out is a bail bonds place. So I search the San Diego county jail roster and yup, 3 felonies and 1 misdemeanor in what appears to be a domestic incident. Feel awful for my brother but don’t want him to know I know.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Does anyone know if pending charges are typically available online? It was super easy to see he was in jail, but now can't find the charges. I just talked to my brother for the first time and my nephew has gone radio silent on them. I think I actually found a criminal defense attorney there, but not sure what good that will do if we can't get in touch with him.

It sounds pretty fucking bad for my nephew. Most likely a dishonorable discharge along with whatever comes from these charges and I hope whatever these specific charges are aren't true. But sounds like they are.