Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:38 pm I’m a total mark for shows like Platonic and it took me 3 eps to accept Rose Byrne’s “real” accent but I got there.
I saw the previews and thought the show could be good or really bad. I watched the first episode ready to bail, but ended up watching the whole series. It walked the tightrope of being cliche or bad at times, but I thought they pulled it off. Not great, but I liked it. Also makes me wish I became a brewer and opened my own brewery.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I love it and not just because of #hallmarkdad (Rogan and Byrne are great together)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:32 pm
brian wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:38 pm I’m a total mark for shows like Platonic and it took me 3 eps to accept Rose Byrne’s “real” accent but I got there.
I saw the previews and thought the show could be good or really bad. I watched the first episode ready to bail, but ended up watching the whole series. It walked the tightrope of being cliche or bad at times, but I thought they pulled it off. Not great, but I liked it. Also makes me wish I became a brewer and opened my own brewery.
Hmm, maybe I should give it another chance. I watched one episode and couldn’t get past the thought that there’s no way those two people were ever best friends.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Fired on Mars is … interesting. I’m starting E4. Not 100% sold, but it’s keeping me around so far.

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:58 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:32 pm
Hmm, maybe I should give it another chance. I watched one episode and couldn’t get past the thought that there’s no way those two people were ever best friends.
Yeah I watched a couple episodes and they just don’t mesh. Couldn’t buy in at all.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:32 pm... It walked the tightrope of being cliche or bad at times...
This has to mean or include the episode where she gets fired. When that ended I immediately said I didn't care if we watch another episode.

(But we did finish it. Rose Byrne will always get 3rd and 4th chances here.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Maybe one of the best episodes of Sunny ever tonight. Maybe it hit better because I manage a software support team and actually want to use part of it as part of a training, but I thought it was brilliant.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:35 pm Maybe one of the best episodes of Sunny ever tonight. Maybe it hit better because I manage a software support team and actually want to use part of it as part of a training, but I thought it was brilliant.
REPRESENTATIVE! HUMAN! HUMAN!!!!!!!!

It was great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:59 am
Giff wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:35 pm Maybe one of the best episodes of Sunny ever tonight. Maybe it hit better because I manage a software support team and actually want to use part of it as part of a training, but I thought it was brilliant.
REPRESENTATIVE! HUMAN! HUMAN!!!!!!!!

It was great.
Ripped from real life
In real life, Howerton drives a Tesla and the key fob stopped working, so he used the app on his phone that serves as a back-up. The only problem? He and his friend went to a movie screening and parked in an underground parking garage, where they couldn't get phone or WiFi reception. That meant they couldn't get into the car, which meant they were stuck there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s insane that the longest running comedy in history can still deliver. I hope they keep the show going until they’re all in their 80s.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just watched the new Sunny episode. Brilliant.

Funny thing - I never really got into Sunny historically. I don’t know why. But my daughter was home for a week recently, and she loves it and and informed me we had to rectify that a bit. Hulu has all the seasons so we watched a bunch of her favorite episodes. Now, I’m hooked and have season upon seasons of it to catch up on.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:16 pm Just watched the new Sunny episode. Brilliant.

Funny thing - I never really got into Sunny historically. I don’t know why. But my daughter was home for a week recently, and she loves it and and informed me we had to rectify that a bit. Hulu has all the seasons so we watched a bunch of her favorite episodes. Now, I’m hooked and have season upon seasons of it to catch up on.
I'm in the same boat. I know I'll like it, but just never got into it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:34 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:16 pm Just watched the new Sunny episode. Brilliant.

I finally started watching it, but it's intimidating looking at 15 seasons worth to catchup on. It seems like there is no reason to watch them in order. What are some must see episodes? I think I finished through Season 3.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:51 pm

I finally started watching it, but it's intimidating looking at 15 seasons worth to catchup on. It seems like there is no reason to watch them in order. What are some must see episodes? I think I finished through Season 3.
Normally I’d say the “Lethal Weapon” episodes but they’re been censored by the Thought Police.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dayman! Aaaaahhhhhh
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm weird about that stuff, I've found. Like, if I find a new podcast by listening to a recent recommended episode and I decide I'm all in, I go back to Ep1 and it's off to the races.

I've close to 5 years of the Dumb People Town podcast (w/ the Sklar Bros and Daniel van Kirk) to catch-up on. It's awesome that I have that much content to look forward to, but then I find myself binging it just to get through it and have to pause for a bit.

Didn't realize I had a tiny bit of completist/OCD in me, I guess.

ETA - the biggest thing with this stuff is that there are a TON of callbacks and references to prior episodes that make it not as fun to watch/listen to if you aren't in on the joke.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:54 pmI'm weird about that stuff, I've found. Like, if I find a new podcast by listening to a recent recommended episode and I decide I'm all in, I go back to Ep1 and it's off to the races.

ETA - the biggest thing with this stuff is that there are a TON of callbacks and references to prior episodes that make it not as fun to watch/listen to if you aren't in on the joke.
Same thing. I plowed through several hundred episodes of "The Dollop" back catalog while also listening to the new weekly one and am four episodes from being completely caught up on "Cinephobe" after starting to listed to current episodes at #141. Hearing the callbacks/references being born and the podcast quality getting a lot better (their producer is very good) over that time is an added bonus.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:12 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:54 pmI'm weird about that stuff, I've found. Like, if I find a new podcast by listening to a recent recommended episode and I decide I'm all in, I go back to Ep1 and it's off to the races.

Same thing. I plowed through several hundred episodes of "The Dollop" back catalog while also listening to the new weekly one and am four episodes from being completely caught up on "Cinephobe" after starting to listed to current episodes at #141. Hearing the callbacks/references being born and the podcast quality getting a lot better (their producer is very good) over that time is an added bonus.
One of the Dollop guys makes a couple of appearances on Dumb PPL Town and I have subscribed on my new podcast app (stitcher is going away soon) and I'll get to it at some point.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The most recent episode of What We Do In The Shadows might have the greatest collection of guest actors in a single episode of television ever. No exaggeration. Without spoilers all perfectly cast:

Jo Firestone, Hannibal Buress, Aparna Nancherla, Gregg Turkington, and Martha Kelly
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Bear season 2 episode 6...
[+] spoiler
Jesus Christ, Jamie Lee Curtis gave me nightmares.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:54 am The Bear season 2 episode 6...
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
We had a tough time with that episode, which was the point. Just brilliant. The timer going off, triggering another manic episode from JLC was fucking rough.
Episode 7
[+] spoiler
Which is why I think Ep 7 is maybe my favorite episode from either season. To see Richie turn the corner like that, after the frantic shit we see in E6... Just an amazing switch of style and substance.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:30 am
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
We had a tough time with that episode, which was the point. Just brilliant. The timer going off, triggering another manic episode from JLC was fucking rough.
Episode 7
[+] spoiler
Which is why I think Ep 7 is maybe my favorite episode from either season. To see Richie turn the corner like that, after the frantic shit we see in E6... Just an amazing switch of style and substance.
Haven't seen episode 7 yet, but episode 6...
[+] spoiler
Her performance was so incredible - we all (most likely) know or knew people like her. I had a great aunt and every once in a while, I would have to spend the night at her house. Jamie Lee Curtis could have been my Aunt Molly. It was incredibly disturbing to watch. Not since I saw Anne Hathaway play a bipolar woman in an episode of "Modern Love" have I been so riveted and yet so uncomfortable.
No spoiler here - I find this season of The Bear to be even better than the first season.
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:58 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Episode 7
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Her performance was so incredible - we all (most likely) know or knew people like her. I had a great aunt and every once in a while, I would have to spend the night at her house. Jamie Lee Curtis could have been my Aunt Molly. It was incredibly disturbing to watch. Not since I saw Anne Hathaway play a bipolar woman in an episode of "Modern Love" have I been so riveted and yet so uncomfortable.
No spoiler here - I find this season of The Bear to be even better than the first season.
1) I agree wholeheartedly about S2... just fantastic.
[+] spoiler
My Aunt Liza. Period. Manic, easily flustered, major substance issues... And the coolest aunt on the planet to my 8-12 year old self. She'd join my gramma and me on trips down to Daytona and the energy she'd bring was epic... But, yeah, also very weird and impossible for me to understand at the time what was going on with her.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:09 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:58 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Episode 7
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
1) I agree wholeheartedly about S2... just fantastic.
[+] spoiler
My Aunt Liza. Period. Manic, easily flustered, major substance issues... And the coolest aunt on the planet to my 8-12 year old self. She'd join my gramma and me on trips down to Daytona and the energy she'd bring was epic... But, yeah, also very weird and impossible for me to understand at the time what was going on with her.
[+] spoiler
Aunt Ann for me. Wild mood swings, smoker, yelling , especially hard on her daughter, everything
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

[+] spoiler
Jamie Lee Curtis' fingernails reminded me of a couple of "off-kilter" aunts on my mother's side.
Partially, it's that attention to detail that separates the truly amazing shows from the rest.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New season of How To With John Wilson started on Max.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Finished "The Bear," Great season.
[+] spoiler
Fuck Carm for doing that to Claire. If she isn't the perfect woman, one hasn't been created.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
Episode 7
[+] spoiler
Yes! I love how every episode seems like it’s a completely different style. Reminds me a lot of Ramy, and I see he directed at least one episode.

Just saw episode 7, my favorite. Amazing character development. Especially following ep 6, where we get a sense of why the characters are who they are, then
[+] spoiler
seeing Richie find meaning and purpose. Just beautiful.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Started watching “Tacoma FD” on Max. Was worried that it would just kind of be a Super Troopers knockoff (since it’s half of Broken Lizard( but it’s got some of the same offbeat comedy but kind of sweet also. Solid B+ sitcom. Something you can turn on and watch at random times if you want.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And the woman firefighter is insanely hot.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:46 pm And the woman firefighter is insanely hot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

She’s dating Ryan Bingham, so he’s definitely having a good year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Really enjoying the Justified revival so far. Between this and Indy 5 and me finally watching Logan (because of this and Indy 5) and Sandman last year Boyd Holbrook is having a moment.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He’s apparently from my hometown.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:02 am New season of How To With John Wilson started on Max.
First episode is amazing. I love that show so much.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:40 pm He’s apparently from my hometown.
Someone watch the show so we can talk about his tighty whitey kimono look.

Also, this week’s episode
[+] spoiler
promised a needle drop and delivered
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Catching up on The Bear, got through Eps 6 and 7 over the weekend.
[+] spoiler
Ep 7 almost makes me want to become a chef. But of all the jobs in that episode, the one I'd really want is the one of the woman running the kitchen. The organization/efficiency really spoke to my inner Program Manger.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:48 pm Catching up on The Bear, got through Eps 6 and 7 over the weekend.
[+] spoiler
Ep 7 almost makes me want to become a chef. But of all the jobs in that episode, the one I'd really want is the one of the woman running the kitchen. The organization/efficiency really spoke to my inner Program Manger.
Ha, put me in that role and everything falls apart within minutes.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:50 pm
phxgators wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:48 pm Catching up on The Bear, got through Eps 6 and 7 over the weekend.
[+] spoiler
I actually think I would get someone killed... somehow?... If I got put in that role.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:57 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:50 pm
[+] spoiler
I actually think I would get someone killed... somehow?... If I got put in that role.
I think it'd be me that got killed. Absolute race between the owner, chef, and the line cooks to get there first.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:24 pm Really enjoying the Justified revival so far. Between this and Indy 5 and me finally watching Logan (because of this and Indy 5) and Sandman last year Boyd Holbrook is having a moment.
[+] spoiler
I've found the daughter to be Hallmark-cringey...And Boyd Holbrook aint no Walton Goggins.

I'll stick it out cuz Timothy Olyphant, but the writing doesn't feel like it's up to snuff.

At least it's cool to see Victor Williams on the screen again.
Noli Timere Messorem