Immaculate grid

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Re: Immaculate grid

Post by MaxWebster »

i tried to get cute today and missed middle-right and i think i have a maybe-legit beef...? need a weigh-in here, maybe from our Houston contingency...
[+] spoiler
Mike Fiers 2017 Astros? 28 games in the regular season (including 3 in September) and was officially on the team until signing a FA contract that winter - he didn't pitch in the postseason (which i did not remember; obviously was going for obscurity on that team) but does that mean he's *not* considered part of the championship team? seems wrong to me.
was pleased with my late 70s baseball card collection memory for getting me...
[+] spoiler
Mike Tyson for Cubs/Cards
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I didn't believe that
[+] spoiler
Rod Beck
didn't get to 300 saves, but then I checked and was like
[+] spoiler
"Oh yeah. Cocaine."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Frankreichenstein's Monster
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:33 am i tried to get cute today and missed middle-right and i think i have a maybe-legit beef...? need a weigh-in here, maybe from our Houston contingency...
[+] spoiler
Mike Fiers 2017 Astros? 28 games in the regular season (including 3 in September) and was officially on the team until signing a FA contract that winter - he didn't pitch in the postseason (which i did not remember; obviously was going for obscurity on that team) but does that mean he's *not* considered part of the championship team? seems wrong to me.
was pleased with my late 70s baseball card collection memory for getting me...
[+] spoiler
Mike Tyson for Cubs/Cards
On my grid it says World Series Champ WS Roster, so I guess if he wasn't on the roster ... which completely screwed me because I completely forgot about a certain player and a tarp incident in 1985 preventing him from playing in the World Series and somehow forgetting until writing this that they didn't even win that Series. My brain is shot today.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

[+] spoiler
I had to do Eckstein for the Cardinals because, you know, grit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

The Killer Tarp!

I was recently telling my daughter about that one to much incredulity and then i forgot to follow up and waste hours looking for it when I got home LOL; man you're gonna send me down a memory wormhole this morning with that...

(but thanks - kind of a weak point I think since they were both on the teams for their full seasons - that should count. Although ...yeah, '85 winner turned out a bit differently ;) - and I will never blame Denkinger because the Cards played that 9th inning like a monkey fking a football and they're the Cardinals so a big Nelson "HA-ha!" was and is still warranted...)
Reaper wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:56 pm On my grid it says World Series Champ WS Roster, so I guess if he wasn't on the roster ... which completely screwed me because I completely forgot about a certain player and a tarp incident in 1985 preventing him from playing in the World Series and somehow forgetting until writing this that they didn't even win that Series. My brain is shot today.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Got a .1% today with 7 correct. The guy?
[+] spoiler
Terry Mulholland
Everything else was in the 35% range. This game is addicting.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

cerranoredux wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:12 am Got a .1% today with 7 correct. The guy?
[+] spoiler
Terry Mulholland
Which spot? Carol Brady?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:15 am
cerranoredux wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:12 am Got a .1% today with 7 correct. The guy?
[+] spoiler
Terry Mulholland
Which spot? Carol Brady?
Does anyone else actually remember which square individual Bradys were in?

I really want to love this game, but I look at it and say, "the Astros won a World Series?" I'm better at the football one, but the 1999 and later thing pisses me off.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I missed the Braves-Cubs (Cindy Brady) slot today because I tried to get cute with Cap Anson. And then I went in Wikipedia to check, and learned he started the color line because he wouldn’t play against teams that employed black players. So fuck that guy.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:14 pm I missed the Braves-Cubs (Cindy Brady) slot today because I tried to get cute with Cap Anson. And then I went in Wikipedia to check, and learned he started the color line because he wouldn’t play against teams that employed black players. So fuck that guy.
And now they're owned by the Ricketts family. Funny how things (don't) change.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

PR'ed today. 9/9 34

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

First time I ever hit the "Give Up" button was today - Arizona yeesh forget it.
7/9
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah if I can’t immediately picture a guy in the stupid vest and purple undershirt, I’m probably in trouble

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

it's weird, there are some teams/franchises that do not stick and i'm not sure ever will. I mean ... the DBacks are not new anymore ffs but sitting here off the top of my head I probably can't name 20 guys that have played for them in history. I'll look through a list and say "ahh yeah that guy of course" a hundred times but...

would be an interesting thought experiment - for sports you/I/someone actually follow/s* what franchises are mental black holes. Colorado is the other MLB franchise I can give you a handful and nothing else (NHL: Columbus, Minnesota weirdly, Nashville, Phoenix if I can't use their Jets days)

*like...I don't think I can name a single person who has ever played for the Baltimore Ravens or Sacramento...uh...basketball team but neither is my jam anyways
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Not a PR today at 32, but 6 answers at 2% or less:
[+] spoiler
Octavio Dotel (2.0) / Clint Barmes (6.0) / Max Carey (0.5)
Ken Caminiti (1.0) / Andres Galarraga (11.0) / Julio Franco (2.0)
Jose Cruz, Sr. (1.0) / Ubaldo Jiminez (7.0) / Maury Wills (1.0)
I love getting a low score on dudes who have or had a record, like the two above in the Greg and Bobby slots.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I really like Saturdays. Yesterday I learned Jim Palmer never had 200 strikeouts in a season.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:51 am I really like Saturdays. Yesterday I learned Jim Palmer never had 200 strikeouts in a season.
Same. Really surprised that there was only 7 or 8 200 K seasons in the whole Orioles franchise history including their St Louis Browns years.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

While it was an easy one today, I still managed to go 8 for 9 because the guy I chose had a season-high batting average of .297. Both me and Otis Nixon just shy of a very of a very important milestone.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I got to answer a square in the NFL immaculate grid today with someone I know personally. (He was 0.009 percent)
[+] spoiler
Brock Gutierrez, played for Cincinnati & Detroit at OT. CMU ‘97 BS in journalism (I was ‘96) and current color analyst on the CMU football radio network.

ETA: Oh shit I checked his PFR page and he turns 50 today. Pretty cool.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Dammitt to hell. I accidentally clicked on the wrong
[+] spoiler
Tony Armas.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you're going old school on the Phillies 30 SB today, don't make the same mistake I did and don't accidentally select the wrong one.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:35 am Dammitt to hell. I accidentally clicked on the wrong
[+] spoiler
Tony Armas.
I am very late replying to this, but I actually made the same mistake (my Pavano post just reminded me).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Re: today's grid
[+] spoiler
Friends and I have a running gag that all the red teams are the same, namely CIN-PHI-STL but sometimes other teams creep in. Scott Rolen is always the safe pick, but I did some research this morning and Russell Branyan played for the Reds, Phillies, Cards, Indians, and Angels. King Crimson.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

[+] spoiler
Wtf Tombstone Jackson only had 45 career sacks
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ugh. I would've set a PR* today if I didn't get lazy and pick the most popular Giants-Yankees player.

*I only count PRs if there is only one row or column on a stat. The other 8 rows and columns need to be teams for me to consider it a PR.