Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:15 pm Detailed analysis later but Yosemite is unsurprisingly rocketing up the standings. Good lord.
We had some friends who were there earlier this summer and their high-level analysis matches. Can't wait to hear more about it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:15 pm Detailed analysis later but Yosemite is unsurprisingly rocketing up the standings. Good lord.
Did you get in ok? I heard that Yosemite was so crowded that the parking lots were full by 8:30 in the morning.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

that's brunch time by RMNP standards
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:55 pm
Did you get in ok? I heard that Yosemite was so crowded that the parking lots were full by 8:30 in the morning.
Stayed in one of the in-park lodges last night, had breakfast at 7, checked out at 8 and went right to one of the bus stops where we waited about 45 minutes for a shuttle. The line had to be 3 hours long behind us. I think there were only 2 buses making the loop. The inner village route is closed for construction.

It’s really the only thing keeping me from saying “best place ever”. Zion was maybe a little busier a few years ago but at least they had 100 shuttles because you weren’t allowed to drive in. This was chaos. People parking in the worst random places because everything was full. Not fair for anyone, really, and it’s something they need to figure out.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Any Park City, UT recs for food/drinks?

(Also I"ll be set up at 4th & Main for the art festival there this weekend if anyone happens to be in those environs. I believe Friday is locals night @swampsteve)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I have personally been in Tucson, Tucumcari, Tehachapi, and Tonopah. Can any of y’all say that?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:24 pm I have personally been in Tucson, Tucumcari, Tehachapi, and Tonopah. Can any of y’all say that?
Drivin every kind of rig that's ever been made?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:24 pm I have personally been in Tucson, Tucumcari, Tehachapi, and Tonopah. Can any of y’all say that?
I have FWIW

Any recs on what to do if you have one day in Seattle. Taking an Alaskan cruise from there and will have the evening before and the day of (until about 2 pm) to explore. I’ll have a car so can get anywhere-ish.

(Also if anyone knows a free place to park for 10 days haha)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If anyone had been to all those places I figured it would be you.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:54 am
I have FWIW

Any recs on what to do if you have one day in Seattle. Taking an Alaskan cruise from there and will have the evening before and the day of (until about 2 pm) to explore. I’ll have a car so can get anywhere-ish.

Busy answer - Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), Chihuly, and anything else right near the Space Needle and the hockey arena
Quiet answer - Discovery Park

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:54 am(Also if anyone knows a free place to park for 10 days haha)
We have a family friend who works in commercial real estate rental up there, checking...
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:20 pm
brian wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:54 am(Also if anyone knows a free place to park for 10 days haha)
We have a family friend who works in commercial real estate rental up there, checking...
Appreciate it. For what’s it’s worth even a spot on a street or something like that is fine as long as the car’s not gonna get towed.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I asked my daughter. She lives in Belltown.

She said:
Phil (boyfriend) would know better - I’ll ask him. Personally, assuming he’s leaving from the dock in magnolia, idk of particular parking lots, but tbh you could probably park on one of the backstreets in magnolia and just leave it there for a week. its pretty suburban there. He’d need to get a car from there to the cruise (or take a long walk?)
I’ll let you know if her boyfriend adds anything of note.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can you get Phil to check on it every couple of days?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

phil says he knows this parking terminal next to where the alaskan cruise ships dock their boats, but is unsure if it’s exclusive to those cruises or not though. idk if it costs money too (i imagine it would)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

THANKS FOR NOTHING PHIL
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:46 pm
phil says he knows this parking terminal next to where the alaskan cruise ships dock their boats, but is unsure if it’s exclusive to those cruises or not though. idk if it costs money too (i imagine it would)
That’s helpful and worst case I’ll just pay to park at the cruise terminal bc they have long term parking there but can get pricey (though I should research costs. It’s it’s “only” $10/day the $100 is probably worth the piece of mind. If it’s $25/day I might take my chances parking somewhere else.

ETA: Looks like worst-case it would cost $202 to park at the port.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I have FWIW

Didn't see this earlier, but the Pike Place Market is awesome. There's a reason its a big tourist attraction.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Free...no.

But there are parking lots by the terminal: https://www.seattlecruiseparking.com/
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

No but I've been from Walla Walla Washington to Kalamazoo.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I have FWIW

Susanna Hoffs is a Swamp lurker?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

In St. Louis...the weather is crazy. Hot and Steamy. Staying at the Hilton at the Ballpark. Rooms are cold but everything else is like a sauna (bathroom, exercise room, hallways, lobby). Just nuts. That being said, if you like baseball it is a fun hotel. Everything is decorated in Cardinals. Old baseball cards, pictures of the teams past, etc. Shame that the Cards were heading out of town after I flew in.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Spirit Airlines question: I know they're on the budget side so expecting to be uncomfortable or have them looking for upcharges. Anyone know how strict they are with their personal belongings policy which is stated at 18" x 14". Like is 20" x 14" going to throw up red flags or are those measurements there to avoid people carrying on two carry-ons?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't remember them being strict about carry ons, but I also swore them off after being stranded two extra days in Vegas.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:30 am In St. Louis...the weather is crazy. Hot and Steamy. Staying at the Hilton at the Ballpark. Rooms are cold but everything else is like a sauna (bathroom, exercise room, hallways, lobby). Just nuts. That being said, if you like baseball it is a fun hotel. Everything is decorated in Cardinals. Old baseball cards, pictures of the teams past, etc. Shame that the Cards were heading out of town after I flew in.
Stayed at that hotel a dozen times but never had any issues. The rooftop bar there is nice.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:08 pm Spirit Airlines question: I know they're on the budget side so expecting to be uncomfortable or have them looking for upcharges. Anyone know how strict they are with their personal belongings policy which is stated at 18" x 14". Like is 20" x 14" going to throw up red flags or are those measurements there to avoid people carrying on two carry-ons?
Yeah something that close should be OK in my experience.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That size will be fine like Brian said. My spirit flight was fine. No frills but I got across the country in 4 hours or so.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

4 hours per engine is pretty solid

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thank you everyone!!!

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:50 pm That size will be fine like Brian said.
Heh.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I spent last week in Colorado Springs visiting my parents with my younger daughter, and while we were there we checked out the new Olympic Museum.
(United States Olympic and Paralympic Museum, and it was pretty darn cool. Lots of great exhibits about events and training and whatnot, and then tons of stuff about the Games themselves.

I was impressed that they did not shy away from some of the more controversial topics...like drug testing, the Larry Nassar/Me Too scandal, the Black Power salute in '68, Munich '72, the various boycotts, etc.

If you find yourself in the area, definitely worth checking out. But remember...because Visa is an Olympic Sponsor, they will not take any other cards. They didn't even have an ATM in the lobby...we have to walk a few blocks to find an ATM to get cash.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

People who intentionally wake up at 5:00 AM are insane.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:46 am People who intentionally wake up at 5:00 AM are insane.
I was just having that thought about 6:30. And I’m looking at 5:30 for Friday and Saturday.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:46 am People who intentionally wake up at 5:00 AM are insane.
I've been awake since 4 a.m. Fight me.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, maybe we can set up a 3:30 PM pay-per-view so you’re good for supper then bed.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:01 am
I've been awake since 4 a.m. Fight me.
He only said those that wake up at 5 AM. You should be good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've been waking up at 6 all week and it's been glorious.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So I just had about three or four weeks straight of this, preparing for and then doing a two-week commercial arbitration. It is still very hard for me to stay asleep past 5. (Or awake past 9.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My alarm is set for 5:20am so I can be at the pool when it opens at 5:45.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I get up when I wake up. Usually a little after 8:00.

Why, yes. I am retired, thank you!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Quite impressive to be somewhere 25 mins after the buzzer