Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Doc: The Umentary Type

Post by brian »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:20 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:59 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:04 am
brian wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 pm There’s a Netflix doc coming on the Urban Meyer-era Florida Gators that is supposed to be fire.
I assume this will be part of the doc, as he's been behind bars since his arrest. Pled no contest yesterday to killing his GF, the mother of his children.
I was looking for, but could not find the production company/producers of the documentary the other day, which will tell what kind of coverage of the program there will be.
Yeah, it’s going to be under the “Untold” banner of sports docs but that’s been a mixed bag so far. The Malice at The Palace one was OK but one-sided.
Reviews have been horrible. Supposedly they don’t even touch on things like Urban’s heart attack and Aaron Hernandez. What a missed opportunity.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:16 pm
brian wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:16 pm There’s a Netflix doc coming on the Urban Meyer-era Florida Gators that is supposed to be fire.
I assume this will be part of the doc, as he's been behind bars since his arrest. Pled no contest yesterday to killing his GF, the mother of his children.
I was looking for, but could not find the production company/producers of the documentary the other day, which will tell what kind of coverage of the program there will be.
Yeah, it’s going to be under the “Untold” banner of sports docs but that’s been a mixed bag so far. The Malice at The Palace one was OK but one-sided.
Reviews have been horrible. Supposedly they don’t even touch on things like Urban’s heart attack and Aaron Hernandez. What a missed opportunity.
Meyer was involved with the production, I believe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Or rather, a perfect opportunity for Urban to polish his reputation. This is my team and I have zero desire to watch this. I also fucking hate Urban Meyer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:53 pm
Or rather, a perfect opportunity for Urban to polish his reputation. This is my team and I have zero desire to watch this. I also fucking hate Urban Meyer.
image.png
image.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 600 times
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Anybody else watch BS High about the Bishop Sycamore scandal?
[+] spoiler
I thought it was just OK...directly addressed some of his criminal behavior while I think missing the opportunity to dive deeper into his motivations as well as couple of the other people involved. Basically, I think it's the same thing as the whole Theranos debacle...fake it till you make it mentality that has afflicted modern late-stage capitalism.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BS High (on Max) is very good. What a shitshow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:53 pm
I watched it and I don’t think it’s the reputation builder for Urban that he thinks it is. He comes off as an arrogant, unrepentant asshole.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He’s still kind of a cypher but I also may have to accept that Tim Tebow is actually a decent guy and not hiding some kind of psychopathy behind the God stuff.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Based on the title, I I thought that was maybe going to be about J-Lo’s dating history.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not even joking when I say this is probably more embarrassing to Florida than anything that happened in the Spurrier or Urban eras.
Florida's matchup vs Utah will be their first non conference road game outside of the state of Florida, in 32 years 🤯
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:53 pm Not even joking when I say this is probably more embarrassing to Florida than anything that happened in the Spurrier or Urban eras.
Florida's matchup vs Utah will be their first non conference road game outside of the state of Florida, in 32 years 🤯
Well, this kinda shit is embarrassing.

Okay, it wasn't really embarrassing at that time.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Kings, a documentary about boxing in the 70s and 80s but mostly about Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler and Roberto Duran, is worth checking out if you have Showtime.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:41 pm The Kings, a documentary about boxing in the 70s and 80s but mostly about Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler and Roberto Duran, is worth checking out if you have Showtime.
Enjoyed every minute of that show. As a big boxing fan - even as a kid when the 4 of them were fighting - it was nirvana.
[+] spoiler
And as much as I loved Hagler, I had Leonard winning their fight
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I watched The Insurrectionist Next Door last night on Max, which was made by Nancy Pelosi's daughter. It was interesting to get insight into a handful of people convicted for participating in 1/6. You can't draw too much out of the film, as she only showed interviews with a few people and who know what she cut out or the 1000s of people she didn't interview. But it made you understand who these people are and why they committed their crimes. Mostly they were sad, broken people looking to belong. They were all uneducated and mostly pretty dumb. I laughed out loud during one interview, when she asked the guy why he was there, he immediately said, "I've never been smart." The guy said he voted for Biden, doesn't believe the election was stolen and doesn't like Trump, but his sister asked him to go on a trip with her. I actually believe him. Pelosi caught the sister in numerous lies when she denied being involved with the Proud Boys, and tried to get the brother to realize the sister was lying to him. Anyways, it was interesting. I was a little annoyed how much she made it about "why do you want to kill my mother?" I saw a previous documentary she made, and again, she inserted herself and her relationship with her mother into too many interviews with attendees at Trump rallies.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, maybe the fact that one of them tried to kill her mother still sticks in her craw.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:25 pm Well, maybe the fact that one of them tried to kill her mother still sticks in her craw.
When you put it that way...
-Pruitt
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

A few come to mind that I think haven't been mentioned yet.

Hail Satan?- The Satanic Temple strikes back (against theocratic dildos of every stripe)!

Seed: The Untold Story- About the loss of 95% of our seed biodiversity.

In the Court of the Crimson King- Starring Robert Fripp as Scrooge.

Two others from ages ago whose names escape me; One was about..... tickling. Something something Long Island stalker, if memory serves.

The other was about Bears, a part of gay subculture I knew nothing about, but was absolutely charmed by. YMMV, naturally.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:22 pm I watched The Insurrectionist Next Door last night on Max, which was made by Nancy Pelosi's daughter. It was interesting to get insight into a handful of people convicted for participating in 1/6. You can't draw too much out of the film, as she only showed interviews with a few people and who know what she cut out or the 1000s of people she didn't interview. But it made you understand who these people are and why they committed their crimes. Mostly they were sad, broken people looking to belong. They were all uneducated and mostly pretty dumb. I laughed out loud during one interview, when she asked the guy why he was there, he immediately said, "I've never been smart." The guy said he voted for Biden, doesn't believe the election was stolen and doesn't like Trump, but his sister asked him to go on a trip with her. I actually believe him. Pelosi caught the sister in numerous lies when she denied being involved with the Proud Boys, and tried to get the brother to realize the sister was lying to him. Anyways, it was interesting. I was a little annoyed how much she made it about "why do you want to kill my mother?" I saw a previous documentary she made, and again, she inserted herself and her relationship with her mother into too many interviews with attendees at Trump rallies.
She was a guest on Real Time a few weeks back and I was meh on her interview.

After looking up the documentary's IMDB, I was pretty entertained reading some of the reviews.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“Bye Bye Barry” released on Prime today. Fun to relive a lot of great memories and a couple not so great ones. But blessed to have rooted for the best RB in NFL history.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah. No. Awesome. Not best ever.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah? Well, that’s like….your opinion, man.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Certainly not best ever, but he might have the funnest highlights ever.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If every RB ever had the same offensive line, is Sanders not the best ever? I thought that was accepted as near fact?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:53 pm If every RB ever had the same offensive line, is Sanders not the best ever? I thought that was accepted as near fact?
Maybe the most exciting, but I have a hard time picking best.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:53 pm If every RB ever had the same offensive line, is Sanders not the best ever? I thought that was accepted as near fact?
I’d sign off on that. When he got an offense that wasn’t the run-and-shoot and installed a TE and blocking concepts, he ripped off 2,000 yards in the final 14 games of the 1997 season.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jim Brown was the best ever. Period.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nope. It's Sanders.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I never saw Jim Brown play but my eyes tell me that Barry is the unquestioned best I've ever seen. Whose career was completely wasted. Period inserted retroactively out of respect
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sanders was awesome, but I'll go with Jim Brown, just because he not only constantly led the league in rushing, but he usually led by hundreds of yards.

And on the subject of running backs - I have been watching football for over 50 years, and I have still never seen anyon like Earl Campbell. Like Sanders, he was unique.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Apropos of nothing. Barry Sanders pro career almost completely overlapped with the series Seinfeld. (He made his debut two months after S1E1 and retired two months after the finale.)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

man, i don't know shit about football post ~1994 but i do know that Thurman Thomas kept Barry Sanders on the bench in college so applying all advanced algebra courses i've taken in my life direct me to the answer that #34 is mathematically the greatest-ever.

/thread.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 am man, i don't know shit about football post ~1994 but i do know that Thurman Thomas kept Barry Sanders on the bench in college so applying all advanced algebra courses i've taken in my life direct me to the answer that #34 is mathematically the greatest-ever.

/thread.
I hated the Marv Levy eta Bills so much. Thurman was a great player, but man did he kill my Jets. I still begrudgingly loved how he played.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

LOL fair. i feel like i remember one monday night game when i was in college (1990?) when Thurm had nearly 200yrds against the Jets before halftime and i was thinking he'd crush the alltime record for a game. Marv sat him and played Kenneth Davis almost the entire 2nd half.
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:10 am
MaxWebster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 am man, i don't know shit about football post ~1994 but i do know that Thurman Thomas kept Barry Sanders on the bench in college so applying all advanced algebra courses i've taken in my life direct me to the answer that #34 is mathematically the greatest-ever.

/thread.
I hated the Marv Levy eta Bills so much. Thurman was a great player, but man did he kill my Jets. I still begrudgingly loved how he played.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Thurman Thomas was my first ever fantasy football pick in 1991. I’m pretty sure it went Cunningham, Rice, Sanders, then Thomas. So early ‘90s South Jersey fantasy football players agree that Barry was the best RB ever.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just finished the Barry doc. 1.) Love the choice they made for the credits at the end 2.) Not sure if it is the big shoulder pads but he just runs differently and I wonder how much of that was key to his success (watch his shoulders). 3.) I get you need to include locals but the Detroit celebs they gave time to....not sure they really added anything. 4.) Barry's dad was great and Barry's sons knowing their grandfather perspective was a nice add.