Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:51 pm Quite impressive to be somewhere 25 mins after the buzzer
agree! DiS is moving!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

How involved is your guys’ grooming routine? I’ve been doing 50 minutes from buzzer to parked at “work” which includes a 25-mile (highway) commute in early rush hour traffic and a caffeine stop.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Snooze = 20
Shit = 10
Coffee = 5
Porch and nature and cool and quiet = 15
Shower and teeth = 10
Clothes = 5
Kids and husband and wife all screaming at each other = 25
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well to each their own. I respect the idea of getting some chill time between waking and working but I value my sleep too much.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shit: 10-15 minutes
Coffee: 2 minutes
Shower: 5 minutes
Hair did/Dressed: 5 minutes
Grab everything I need and get in truck: 3 minutes
Start truck, then remember I left something, turn off truck, go back inside: 2 minutes
Commute: 50 minutes
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I wake up 90 minutes before my shift starts. The first half hour is spent using the bathroom, making coffee, feeding the cat, watering my herb garden and reading on my iPad. Next 30 minutes are spent making and eating breakfast, packing my lunch, additional reading on my iPad and getting groomed for work. I usually leave my house about 5-10 minutes later and only have a 10-minute commute to work.

I simply can’t just get up and go to work, much like how I simply can’t go straight to bed after work if I’m working second shift. I need some time to fully wake up or wind down, otherwise I’m unproductive at work or can’t fall asleep.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:51 pm Quite impressive to be somewhere 25 mins after the buzzer
The pool is about a 5 minute drive away. I wake up, grab my gear, and go before I have time to think "why the fuck am I up so early".
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I thought everyone laid in bed for at least 45 minutes and played wordle, gordle, yeardle, wheretaken, rottentomatoesdaily, cine2nerdle, flagle, worldle, globle, metazooa, travle, tradle, the nyt crossword, spelling bee, and tiles. Huh.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i got out of bed at 6:56am this morning for the start of my 7am shift (commute time: 20 seconds)
one similarity to my teenage self - i hate waking up

feel like i should divert this back to Travel hmm... so now that we officially have someone at Pitt (that dropoff was brutal oy) we had some Marriott points and stayed at a Residence Inn in Oakland; was convenient / just a half mile from the dorm but I feel like that severely limits us in the future. Any Yinzers with some suggestions on nearby-ish hotels that aren't too expensive and might be in a cool-ish neighbourhood?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:58 am I thought everyone laid in bed for at least 45 minutes and played wordle, gordle, yeardle, wheretaken, rottentomatoesdaily, cine2nerdle, flagle, worldle, globle, metazooa, travle, tradle, the nyt crossword, spelling bee, and tiles. Huh.
Ha, this is me when I can. Been up for almost two hours, haven't gotten to any of those things yet. I feel like I can't start working until I do.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:43 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:58 am I thought everyone laid in bed for at least 45 minutes and played wordle, gordle, yeardle, wheretaken, rottentomatoesdaily, cine2nerdle, flagle, worldle, globle, metazooa, travle, tradle, the nyt crossword, spelling bee, and tiles. Huh.
Ha, this is me when I can. Been up for almost two hours, haven't gotten to any of those things yet. I feel like I can't start working until I do.
I have this brand of ADHD too!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:10 pm Well to each their own. I respect the idea of getting some chill time between waking and working but I value my sleep too much.
Same and “Sleep IS My Chill Time” seems like one of those nonsense tshirts wine moms wear when it’s still too early to be wine moms.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:12 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:43 am
I have this brand of ADHD too!
Same. I'll get up at 5 and still not start being productive until 8.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:58 am
BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:10 pm Well to each their own. I respect the idea of getting some chill time between waking and working but I value my sleep too much.
Same and “Sleep IS My Chill Time” seems like one of those nonsense tshirts wine moms wear when it’s still too early to be wine moms.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:59 pm
The pool is about a 5 minute drive away. I wake up, grab my gear, and go before I have time to think "why the fuck am I up so early".
And of course, now that I'm finally back in the rhythm of getting up every morning to swim, the pool is changing the schedule to only be open Tuesdays and Thursdays for early morning lap swim.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone ever been stranded in Mexico due to a tropical storm and if so anything you wish you’d done 3 days ahead of time to be more prepared?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Travel insurance?

(good luck - hope it turns into an unplanned bonus vacation more than anything else)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:57 am Anyone ever been stranded in Mexico due to a tropical storm and if so anything you wish you’d done 3 days ahead of time to be more prepared?
Depending how you packed I’d do some laundry before hand. Would also lay in some snacks and water.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s more that we’re supposed to leave Tuesday so we could be without a room but also without a flight. No kids we could figure it out easy enough I’m sure but … 😬
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Power went out in a Mexico storm some years ago. Lights. Charging blocks. Power stuff.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m spending the next week in Bozeman, MT, and the sunsets here are heaven on Earth. We have a 12-hour tour for Yellowstone planned for Tuesday. We have the week pretty planned out, doing the Museum of the Rockies today.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:29 pm I’m spending the next week in Bozeman, MT, and the sunsets here are heaven on Earth. We have a 12-hour tour for Yellowstone planned for Tuesday. We have the week pretty planned out, doing the Museum of the Rockies today.
I’m envious. Gorgeous part of the world.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:29 pm I’m spending the next week in Bozeman, MT, and the sunsets here are heaven on Earth. We have a 12-hour tour for Yellowstone planned for Tuesday. We have the week pretty planned out, doing the Museum of the Rockies today.
That’s fantastic. How’s the air quality? We’ve been thinking of heading up there in a few weeks.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Have fun if you hike the M and don't slide on your leg when you descend. McKenzie River Pizza Company was pretty darn good in 1996 and their website looks like it is still good.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:06 pm
That’s fantastic. How’s the air quality? We’ve been thinking of heading up there in a few weeks.
Air quality is great. I haven’t had any issues with my asthma so far.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:46 am People who intentionally wake up at 5:00 AM are insane.
I decided to go in person to my fantasy draft outside Philadelphia last night but didn't want to drive back, so I stayed over and got up at 5:30 to drive home. I am now even more locked into my position above than I was before.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Anyone know a good French restaurant in downtown Chicago? I need to find somewhere so the Mrs. can scratch her foie gras itch.

Yes, I know. Fuck 'em, the geese had it coming. Shitting everywhere on the running trails...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:22 pm Anyone know a good French restaurant in downtown Chicago? I need to find somewhere so the Mrs. can scratch her foie gras itch.

Yes, I know. Fuck 'em, the geese had it coming. Shitting everywhere on the running trails...
Never been personally but been told Everest is really good (though pricy, even for Chicago). Partly paying for the 40th floor views.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Heading to St. Louis next week. Wife has business and I'm tagging along. Be there Tues Evening thru Friday. Maybe saturday if her meeting Friday runs long. I'm gonna work from the hotel/etc. a bit but will have time to explore. We are at the pennywell very close to the arch. Any ideas for bars/restaurants are appreciated!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

i'll text you
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm Heading to St. Louis next week. Wife has business and I'm tagging along. Be there Tues Evening thru Friday. Maybe saturday if her meeting Friday runs long. I'm gonna work from the hotel/etc. a bit but will have time to explore. We are at the pennywell very close to the arch. Any ideas for bars/restaurants are appreciated!
Breakfast at Chili Mac Diner. The 3 old ladies who work there are great. Eggs and Chili breakfast were good.
Schlafly was a nice brewery
Salt and Smoke was good BBQ
So was Pappy's
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just don’t order any St. Louis-style pizza unless you prefer velveeta ( or provell) to cheese.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:45 pm Just don’t order any St. Louis-style pizza unless you prefer velveeta ( or provell) to cheese.
I 1000 percent plan on getting a pizza!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the gravest swamp sin is to eat st. louis style pizza while drinking budweiser

and guess what? both are perfectly fine and good and go well together
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This makes me wonder what the most centrally located place would be if all 32 Swampcrashers met in person for me and chedda’s rematch in the Super Bowl
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:28 pm This makes me wonder what the most centrally located place would be if all 32 Swampcrashers met in person for me and chedda’s rematch in the Super Bowl
I wonder if there's an app or website that could do that for us. There's got to be. I bet Ryan could do it super easy, if given our zip codes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:15 pm the gravest swamp sin is to eat st. louis style pizza while drinking budweiser

and guess what? both are perfectly fine and good and go well together
Said like a true Missourian. I’m happy to drink Bud if that’s all that’s available. But there is usually something better available. And I’ve eaten plenty of St. Louis-style pizza. But, only when no other pizza was available.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:31 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:28 pm This makes me wonder what the most centrally located place would be if all 32 Swampcrashers met in person for me and chedda’s rematch in the Super Bowl
I wonder if there's an app or website that could do that for us. There's got to be. I bet Ryan could do it super easy, if given our zip codes.
I always loved that Texas State's was 78666.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Would probably get the best attendance if you focused on either a location where most swampers lived (northeast), or where most swampers might want to go (Las Vegas?)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 pm
Would probably get the best attendance if you focused on either a location where most swampers lived (northeast), or where most swampers might want to go (Las Vegas?)
Agreed, but isn't it more fun to consider a Scranton Swamp Up?