Walter Sobchak

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by HaulCitgo »

really nice note wlulax. true proud parent stuff
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:27 pm Passed!

But no license because we had a 10:40am appt and by the time we made it to a licensing center they weren’t taking walk ins.
And our first fender bender. She wasn't paying attention and backed into a pole at a parking garage. Not sure how fast she was going and why the sensor didn't warn her. Tail light is cracked but working, rear body panel cracked and scratched, somehow a small dent in the bottom of the tail gate, too. Fun dealing with her melting down and my wife angrily texting at the same time.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:06 pm
rass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:27 pm Passed!

But no license because we had a 10:40am appt and by the time we made it to a licensing center they weren’t taking walk ins.
And our first fender bender. She wasn't paying attention and backed into a pole at a parking garage. Not sure how fast she was going and why the sensor didn't warn her. Tail light is cracked but working, rear body panel cracked and scratched, somehow a small dent in the bottom of the tail gate, too. Fun dealing with her melting down and my wife angrily texting at the same time.
Similar day in our house yesterday. My son texted on his way from work to Cross Country team picture that the car was making a funny noise. When he got home, he texted that the low tire pressure light was on. My wife happened to be walking into the garage at that time and he came running into the house in a full-blown panic. Tire was 100% flat; I'm guessing my wife went off on him. Decent gouge ripped out of the side of the tire and the inner tube folded and bulging in a couple spots. Turns out he hit the curb driving into his work parking lot, going too fast. He wanted to be independent and decided not to ask for advice. Worst part, it's the same damned tire I just replaced because I had a nail in it. Regretting not buying the insurance from the tire shop.

On the plus side, I've been wanting to teach him how to change a tire, so I had him put on the spare.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I always buy the road hazard anymore with younger drivers.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:59 pm I always buy the road hazard anymore with younger drivers.
I really should have. The Town Facebook page was going nuts over all of the people getting flat tires from nails. We have several townhouse and luxury apartment projects going up, and the builders must be dropping nails from their trucks or something.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Oldest daughter clipped a mailbox and ripped off her side mirror on the passenger side. Tried telling us someone sideswiped her going through an intersection, but the wife and I called bullshit on that right away.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:12 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:59 pm I always buy the road hazard anymore with younger drivers.
I really should have. The Town Facebook page was going nuts over all of the people getting flat tires from nails. We have several townhouse and luxury apartment projects going up, and the builders must be dropping nails from their trucks or something.
I sounded like a real douche. But I meant I do it because it bit me before.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:51 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:12 pm
I sounded like a real douche. But I meant I do it because it bit me before.
I didn't read that as douchey at all, just sound advice.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:39 pm Let us know how she is.
Cleared to play (against your town HS) today for the opening game, but the damned thunder just started rolling in, so it's delayed and probably cancelled. He announced the starting lineup, she is starting as the lone striker, which she absolutely hates, but we'll see.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would you mind checking if South Plainfield also just got hit with that storm? Supposed to go there for a game in a few hours.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:23 pm Would you mind checking if South Plainfield also just got hit with that storm? Supposed to go there for a game in a few hours.
Should clear out quickly. A second storm formation seems to materialize around 6:00. Looks like rain in the Plainfields, not sure about lightening.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My oldest daughter, who graduated from Gonzaga in the spring, had her start date pushed back from September to March 2024, so she's been living her best life all summer. She did the Birthright trip to Israel for 2 weeks, then did a serious religious seminar at a University in Jerusalem. She almost dropped out...it was way more orthodox/conservative than she was led to believe, and some of the other women in the program were pulling the "Mean Girl" nonsense with her because of it. But she toughed it out, and absolutely loved Israel. She's now thinking of going back there when she thinks about going to grad school.

Now, she's been back for about a month, and is down in SoCal, being an "outdoors mentor" for a group called Naturalists at Large. She's currently spending a month on Catalina island, teaching sea kayaking, snorkeling, and hiking to groups of rich private school middle-schoolers. She'll do that until mid-november, and then we'll go from there.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:27 pm My oldest daughter, who graduated from Gonzaga in the spring, had her start date pushed back from September to March 2024, so she's been living her best life all summer. She did the Birthright trip to Israel for 2 weeks, then did a serious religious seminar at a University in Jerusalem. She almost dropped out...it was way more orthodox/conservative than she was led to believe, and some of the other women in the program were pulling the "Mean Girl" nonsense with her because of it. But she toughed it out, and absolutely loved Israel. She's now thinking of going back there when she thinks about going to grad school.

Now, she's been back for about a month, and is down in SoCal, being an "outdoors mentor" for a group called Naturalists at Large. She's currently spending a month on Catalina island, teaching sea kayaking, snorkeling, and hiking to groups of rich private school middle-schoolers. She'll do that until mid-november, and then we'll go from there.
Sounds like she is making the most of a less than ideal situation..but will find out that getting a bit of time to do stuff like that before tied to a desk was a gift.

Plus when she gets that next seasonal job at Snoqualmie or the game day job for the Kraken, she will make her friends jealous.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow, that sounds like a blast!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:37 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:27 pm My oldest daughter, who graduated from Gonzaga in the spring, had her start date pushed back from September to March 2024, so she's been living her best life all summer. She did the Birthright trip to Israel for 2 weeks, then did a serious religious seminar at a University in Jerusalem. She almost dropped out...it was way more orthodox/conservative than she was led to believe, and some of the other women in the program were pulling the "Mean Girl" nonsense with her because of it. But she toughed it out, and absolutely loved Israel. She's now thinking of going back there when she thinks about going to grad school.

Sounds like she is making the most of a less than ideal situation..but will find out that getting a bit of time to do stuff like that before tied to a desk was a gift.

Plus when she gets that next seasonal job at Snoqualmie or the game day job for the Kraken, she will make her friends jealous.
She did talk about maybe getting a job up at Crystal for the season, and I told her if she wanted a ski job, she should go big and go to Alta or Jackson or someplace like that.

She's now thinking she'll get a holiday retail job, along with a gig maybe at a one of the local nano-breweries, pouring pints.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My son was asked to take the PSAT preview by the college board. They paid him $50. Basically a chance to test the new exam and make a few bucks. Unfortunately it was practice and won't count...but the result came in today...1520
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:37 pm Pretty confident the Yankees lead the league in lefty pitchers with mustaches.
My youngest (who wears #65 for Nestor Cortes and his mustache) walked it off in the bottom of the 6th last night to give your heroes their first win of the season in A-level 8U fall ball. Up 1-0 going into the top of the 6th, down 2-1 going into the bottom and strung together five straight hits for the win. Suck it, Cranford.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nice!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

WFAN was blowing up this morning killing the Cranford coach for sticking with his closer. Congrats to your kid, that’s some clutch hitting, and nothing beats hitting a walk off.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats to the kid but five hits to score 2 kinda brutal. Might work the basepaths a bit more. :D Gonna need a runner on second to make someone make a play with your daughter on deck. MLB maybe but not gonna trust the fall ball contact skills
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's a good point ... if you want to violate the rules of U8 softball!!!

Extra bases are only if the IF can't knock the ball down or the OF doesn't get the ball in quickly. They want the kids at this level to learn where the play goes and not having to worry that trying to make a play at 1B would equal a triple and shit like that. Exceptional IF defense last night and even the rare ball that got through was quickly played in; pretty sure there were zero XBH total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah all that stuff a blur even though not that long ago. Kid pitch though or different kid?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter is enjoying life out there in Washington, DC. And, she phoned last night and excitedly told us her boss told her there is a case to made to move her up to the next higher pay grade (after only one and a 1/2 months on the job.) so she’s go that going for her, which is nice.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 am My daughter is enjoying life out there in Washington, DC. And, she phoned last night and excitedly told us her boss told her there is a case to made to move her up to the next higher pay grade (after only one and a 1/2 months on the job.) so she’s go that going for her, which is nice.
Nice!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That’s awesome, Pat!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:33 am My daughter is enjoying life out there in Washington, DC. And, she phoned last night and excitedly told us her boss told her there is a case to made to move her up to the next higher pay grade (after only one and a 1/2 months on the job.) so she’s go that going for her, which is nice.
Outstanding!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF's daughter and her boyfriend have started their own agency...Ampersand Studios. Here's their website: Ampersand Studios
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Wild game against Cerrano's former employer tonight. End to end fast breaks and lots of scoring opportunities. Good guys went down 3-2 with 8 minutes left. My daughter bagged her first varsity goal with 5 minutes left to tie the game. Good guys get a corner kick with 15 seconds left. Ball bounces around the box, defender clears it right to my daughter at the top of the box. She lines up a one-time and hit it pure... but her teammate tried to dive out of the way but dove into the shot that looked like it was on target. Girl told her she expected her to take a touch to the side. Then 5 minutes into golden goal OT, my daughter scored her second goal to win it. Walk offs are the best!
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow! That’s great!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh fuck. That’s awesome.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:46 pm Wild game against Cerrano's former employer tonight. End to end fast breaks and lots of scoring opportunities. Good guys went down 3-2 with 8 minutes left. My daughter bagged her first varsity goal with 5 minutes left to tie the game. Good guys get a corner kick with 15 seconds left. Ball bounces around the box, defender clears it right to my daughter at the top of the box. She lines up a one-time and hit it pure... but her teammate tried to dive out of the way but dove into the shot that looked like it was on target. Girl told her she expected her to take a touch to the side. Then 5 minutes into golden goal OT, my daughter scored her second goal to win it. Walk offs are the best!
Nice work!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:27 pm Oh fuck. That’s awesome.
My wife found a link on Facebook, the home team had a live broadcast of the game with announcers. Makes you realize how difficult play-by-play is. Also hilarious to hear the dejection and silence after the OT winner. "Oh no, ball is crossed in front." Long pause after it goes in. "GL (my daughter's school) puts it away." 10 seconds of silence, "I don't think the Cougars have been in too many over times, as the fans don't realize the game is over."
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:46 pm Wild game against Cerrano's former employer tonight. End to end fast breaks and lots of scoring opportunities. Good guys went down 3-2 with 8 minutes left. My daughter bagged her first varsity goal with 5 minutes left to tie the game. Good guys get a corner kick with 15 seconds left. Ball bounces around the box, defender clears it right to my daughter at the top of the box. She lines up a one-time and hit it pure... but her teammate tried to dive out of the way but dove into the shot that looked like it was on target. Girl told her she expected her to take a touch to the side. Then 5 minutes into golden goal OT, my daughter scored her second goal to win it. Walk offs are the best!
Fuck Cranford, right guys?

(that's awesome)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:18 pm The GF's daughter and her boyfriend have started their own agency...Ampersand Studios. Here's their website: Ampersand Studios
Looks good. They have an actual plan and structure behind it?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work Syb Jr and step-DiS!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That's awesome, Syb!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hell yes.

Video?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:40 am Hell yes.

Video?
If you really want it, I could upload when I have some time. I did screen record clips for the grandparents. Might be more interesting to see the 5 minutes where the announcers discussed what a great job Coach Prime is doing with his program. I FF'ed into the discussion, but I think they were saying the Yankees drew only 60 fans to their last game for "Fan Appreciation Day."
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:36 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:18 pm The GF's daughter and her boyfriend have started their own agency...Ampersand Studios. Here's their website: Ampersand Studios
Looks good. They have an actual plan and structure behind it?
A plan besides hustling 24/7? Not as far as I know.

They do have a big Nike thing that they are working on that hasn't been announced yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:06 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:40 am Hell yes.

Video?
If you really want it, I could upload when I have some time. I did screen record clips for the grandparents. Might be more interesting to see the 5 minutes where the announcers discussed what a great job Coach Prime is doing with his program. I FF'ed into the discussion, but I think they were saying the Yankees drew only 60 fans to their last game for "Fan Appreciation Day."
I mean, don't put yourself out for me.. I was just wondering if someone might've streamed it or put it on social.

As I've mentioned, I'm a D3 soccer nerd and almost all of those games are streamed and you can often find an on demand file. So I'm a little spoiled on being able to watch fairly random sporting events at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.