CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: CUBE LIFE! Office Etiquette

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:28 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:23 pm They both sound pretty sacred to me.
Having sex three times is great but have you ever had that cake made by someone who takes it super seriously because it’s like a treasured family tradition?
The absolute fucking best tres leches cake is made by this exact person here in Tucson. It's surreal and perfect.

https://www.dolcepastello.com/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Found out last night that the son of one of our friends has accepted a job with a company that is my company's direct competitor.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So this is almost definitely going to be the end of my second career.

We had the North American Age Group championship in Killington this past weekend which you have to qualify for. To qualify you have to have earned 4 points from the time of last year's NAM championship in Kelowna. I have spent endless hours over the last 4-5 months researching people's races, and calculating their points, and telling them they are not qualified and will be moved to a non-competitive heat, and finding races that they can squeeze in just so that they can qualify, and it's not even their fault because the FAQ is fucking shit.
Racer wrote:We raced Killington Beast today. It was great! Thank you for putting on such a wonderful race.
However, there were tons of people in the age group category that didn't have the "4 points" required to qualify as per the rules. I thought that the rules clearly stated that if you didn't have the 4 points, you'd be dropped to Open.
In the Women's 14-17 age group, the top 2 podium finishers shouldn't have even been in the AgeGroup heat, since they didn't have the qualifying points. Good for them they had a good race, but why go back on your own rules?
We spent the summer traveling around to different Spartan races to rack up enough point to be here. Seems unfair that that rule is now ignored?
Look, I'm not sure this is the most fair way to run a contest, but you made the rules. Play by your own rules and award the podium only to the people who qualified.
Jerloma on Slack wrote:Julia from Texas wanted to do the 14-17 AG NAM Championship this past weekend. She had two points from Houston and Baylor, and then flew out to Utah to do the USNS Super for 3 more just to qualify because she was told she'd be moved to the Open heat if she didn't. So, she came in 4th just missing the podium, but it turns out that the top 2 finishers hadn't earned a single point, but were allowed to race. Looking at their profiles, HERE and HERE, she's not wrong. Her grievance is below, and unless there's some mistake, I'm not sure what to tell this kid.
CS Lead wrote:Hey @KyleD This one will likely go to timing eventually, but let's have @garyb weigh in on this one. These may have been special invites.
Race Production Lead wrote:Yeah that’s what we can say. Spartan reserves the right to allow special invites based on outside factors.
Guys...there is no mother humping way I'm doing that! I'm ready to start a revolution over this kid! She cannot be more right about anything in the history of everything ever. I won't do it. You wouldn't do it, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

She could have just been better.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

duff wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:55 pm She could have just been better.
Noooooo!!! Dead to me.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:20 pm Found out last night that the son of one of our friends has accepted a job with a company that is my company's direct competitor.
And then today found out that my company (Nanostring) lost a patent infringement lawsuit brought by that company (10x Genomics) in the EU. Yeah...not so great for our stock prices.

10x Genomics Wins Preliminary Injunction Against NanoString, Stopping CosMx Sales in Much of Europe

NEW YORK – 10x Genomics said on Tuesday that it has been awarded a preliminary injunction by the new European Unified Patent Court that will prevent NanoString Technologies from selling its CosMx high-resolution spatial biology platform and associated RNA detection reagents in Europe.

According to 10x, the injunction — issued by a panel of four judges — requires NanoString to stop selling or providing services using the CosMx Spatial Molecular Imager instrument and RNA detection reagents in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, and Sweden.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:13 pm
duff wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:55 pm She could have just been better.
Noooooo!!! Dead to me.
So if you can’t afford to travel all around you can’t run your race? I’m with duff.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:50 pm So this is almost definitely going to be the end of my second career.

Guys...there is no mother humping way I'm doing that! I'm ready to start a revolution over this kid! She cannot be more right about anything in the history of everything ever. I won't do it. You wouldn't do it, right?
I started my career at Dept of Homeland Security shortly after 9/11 and enforced the USA Patriot Act. I threw out my idealism and morals and followed orders, so I don’t have a leg to stand on here.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Without rules....we have anarchy.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

It is idiots running in mud. Anarchy has been achieved.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yeah but those rules are no different than earning points to qualify for events with Ironman.

Also I hope this ends up with Jerloma testifying at he CAS.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Resignation officially submitted!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:44 pm Resignation officially submitted!
A man of true integrity!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:44 pm Resignation officially submitted!
Good for you!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:20 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:20 pm Found out last night that the son of one of our friends has accepted a job with a company that is my company's direct competitor.
And then today found out that my company (Nanostring) lost a patent infringement lawsuit brought by that company (10x Genomics) in the EU. Yeah...not so great for our stock prices.

10x Genomics Wins Preliminary Injunction Against NanoString, Stopping CosMx Sales in Much of Europe

NEW YORK – 10x Genomics said on Tuesday that it has been awarded a preliminary injunction by the new European Unified Patent Court that will prevent NanoString Technologies from selling its CosMx high-resolution spatial biology platform and associated RNA detection reagents in Europe.

According to 10x, the injunction — issued by a panel of four judges — requires NanoString to stop selling or providing services using the CosMx Spatial Molecular Imager instrument and RNA detection reagents in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, and Sweden.
Our "All Hands" meeting with the CEO this morning was interesting. Lots of flop sweat...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

So do companies exist whose main purpose doesn't seem to be to bleed as much productivity out of you while paying as little as they can get away with, and also have a semblance of a moral conscience, or is that just not a thing?

Also, let's say you have a problem resolution group. Your goal is still to produce because that's what justifies your budget. On the other hand, why does a company want more problems? Problems are inefficient and expensive. In a perfect world, you wouldn't need a problem resolution group. So, why the fuck are you putting the people running the problem resolution group in charge of reducing the fucking problems?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:19 pm So do companies exist whose main purpose doesn't seem to be to bleed as much productivity out of you while paying as little as they can get away with, and also have a semblance of a moral conscience, or is that just not a thing?

Also, let's say you have a problem resolution group. Your goal is still to produce because that's what justifies your budget. On the other hand, why does a company want more problems? Problems are inefficient and expensive. In a perfect world, you wouldn't need a problem resolution group. So, why the fuck are you putting the people running the problem resolution group in charge of reducing the fucking problems?
I love your worldview.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:19 pm So do companies exist whose main purpose doesn't seem to be to bleed as much productivity out of you while paying as little as they can get away with, and also have a semblance of a moral conscience, or is that just not a thing?
Sure, but they're small and bootstrapped. Once you have investors, it's hard to not put profits at the top of priority list.
Jerloma wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:19 pm Also, let's say you have a problem resolution group. Your goal is still to produce because that's what justifies your budget. On the other hand, why does a company want more problems? Problems are inefficient and expensive. In a perfect world, you wouldn't need a problem resolution group. So, why the fuck are you putting the people running the problem resolution group in charge of reducing the fucking problems?
What kind of problems are you talking about? Pretty much all work beyond manual labor involves solving problems.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just need more Jesus in their lives.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:55 am

Just need more Jesus in their lives.
Ha! And it needs to start in the public schools. JLo’s moral stand ends in forced prayer (Christian only, of course) in public schools. This could be a Black Mirror episode.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

How do you get Customer Support to respond? Email the CEO and threaten to cancel all your orders.

Love a "Hair On Fire" meeting on a Friday morning.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:56 am How do you get Customer Support to respond? Email the CEO and threaten to cancel all your orders.

Love a "Hair On Fire" meeting on a Friday morning.
That does work
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I couldn't get past the idea that this was kind of pointless other than appeasing my moral conscience because my manager was just going to take the ticket and tell her the same brazen, insulting lie, so I emailed her to assure her that she's absolutely right and this was a blatant money grab with no regard for competition, and if they did anything other than DQ the non-qualifiers and ship her the second place medal, it's gross.

Is that bad? Am I bad? Can I get in trouble for that?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you have already quit they can’t fire you. And, if it’s the truth and you didn’t sign an NDA they can’t win a lawsuit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 pm If you have already quit they can’t fire you. And, if it’s the truth and you didn’t sign an NDA they can’t win a lawsuit.
That makes all the sense. Thank you. I think I was a little worried about having the email address but with the shit that corporations do with email addresses, I guess that has to be fair game.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 pm If you have already quit they can’t fire you. And, if it’s the truth and you didn’t sign an NDA they can’t win a lawsuit.
I'd let them fire you so you can collect unemployment.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:02 pm I couldn't get past the idea that this was kind of pointless other than appeasing my moral conscience because my manager was just going to take the ticket and tell her the same brazen, insulting lie, so I emailed her to assure her that she's absolutely right and this was a blatant money grab with no regard for competition, and if they did anything other than DQ the non-qualifiers and ship her the second place medal, it's gross.

Has this shown up on reddit, twitter, bluesky, or such? Feels like something that would be shared by the person you contacted.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:30 am
If they fire you for cause, they can also withhold unemployment. At least in Texas. Learned that in 2018 when my wife lost her job for the biggest bullshittiest of reasons (and we have actual proof now it was bullshit) and they denied her unemployment after her former job objected.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:38 am
If they fire you for cause, they can also withhold unemployment. At least in Texas. Learned that in 2018 when my wife lost her job for the biggest bullshittiest of reasons (and we have actual proof now it was bullshit) and they denied her unemployment after her former job objected.
Texas sucks for employment laws. NJ you are eligible if fired except for "gross misconduct" which implies a committing a crime.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 am
Texas sucks for employment laws. NJ you are eligible if fired except for "gross misconduct" which implies a committing a crime.
Or in Bob Menendez's case, not even then!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:48 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 am
Or in Bob Menendez's case, not even then!
Eh, he's in a different office.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Bonus about the hybrid schedule: When the power goes out on a day I'm working from home! 2 hour nap time!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh no, I submitted my resignation along with my grievance and all of my systems access was revoked within an hour, so I definitely quit. However, for RI, if your resignation is justified, you can still get approved. I happen to have documentation of them clearly asking me to commit fraud, so...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This is the most awesome email I’ve ever received.

It’s so good to know there are people with integrity in the world. That’s so much more important than any race result. Thank you.

Sorry about your job, but hope this change is your gateway to bigger and better things.
All worth it.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:51 am
Jerloma wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:02 pm I couldn't get past the idea that this was kind of pointless other than appeasing my moral conscience because my manager was just going to take the ticket and tell her the same brazen, insulting lie, so I emailed her to assure her that she's absolutely right and this was a blatant money grab with no regard for competition, and if they did anything other than DQ the non-qualifiers and ship her the second place medal, it's gross.

Has this shown up on reddit, twitter, bluesky, or such? Feels like something that would be shared by the person you contacted.
I don't think so but I wanted to start a thread on R/spartan that I just quit my CSR job and field any questions and give people tips on not getting screwed by their regressive registration policies and some discount hacks. It says that it's run by Spartan volunteers which probably means they just get free races, so I presume they have some jurisdiction over it. I asked Johnnie offline and he sort of indicated that Reddit may not be the cauldron of free speech that it markets itself as.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

no one else here but me and a paralegal and a secretary so it is motherfuckin' crank the music Friday. Going with my southern tinged playlist. Counting down the minutes to Swampcrash reveal. Typing a demand. Living the dream.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

(Checking to see if you won or not)

EDIT: Oh man
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:04 am (Checking to see if you won or not)

EDIT: Oh man
The dream is in the journey, not the results!

IT'S A NEW ME
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The company I recently left apparently announced at Wednesday's all-hands that they are going to start requiring anyone within 50 miles of an office to go in at least 3 days a week. I know that's been a trend of many companies lately, but a key difference is that Tanium was always remote friendly even before Covid. It's not like they're returning to a policy they had before. In fact, they have bragged over the years about their remote-friendly policy. Needless to say, this immediately erupted into a shitshow. I can't image someone who lives in, say the DC area, who is 45 miles from work and now has a 2-hour commute instead of working from home. Gonna be a massive exodus.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Our new GM came in and without going into boring detail, telework isn't possible for a large chunk of the workforce, so... She tipped that they would be altering the relatively new telework policy.

Even though it hasn't been announced yet (it's been over 6 months since she started talking about it), I know of a half dozen folks that have left already.

There's a lot of culture stuff going on (again, won't go into detail), but once you've shown that ppl can work from home, it's VERY difficult to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.