Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Giff »

We've become regulars at an awesome craft beer bar close by and one of the bartenders there is way into movies the way I was back in my mid-20s. I have stopped watching movies on the regular for various reasons, but every time I'm in the bar we end up talking about them in some sort of fashion. Anyway, he used to host a movie club pre-COVID and decided to start it back up, so I said I'm in. First meeting is tonight and it's the 20th anniversary screening of Oldboy. I'm pretty sure I have seen this, but don't remember it. I'm looking forward to it and hope this can help reignite my old love of movies.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:52 pm We've become regulars at an awesome craft beer bar close by and one of the bartenders there is way into movies the way I was back in my mid-20s. I have stopped watching movies on the regular for various reasons, but every time I'm in the bar we end up talking about them in some sort of fashion. Anyway, he used to host a movie club pre-COVID and decided to start it back up, so I said I'm in. First meeting is tonight and it's the 20th anniversary screening of Oldboy. I'm pretty sure I have seen this, but don't remember it. I'm looking forward to it and hope this can help reignite my old love of movies.
Oh man, that's a doozy. Great movie.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had no idea there was an American version.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Well that was fucked up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:46 am Well that was fucked up.
And thus, Giff’s love of movies was rekindled.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:46 am Well that was fucked up.
Fortuitous timing...from Defector today...

20 Years Later, ‘Oldboy’ Still Lives Up To The Hype
Chances are, if you're an American, the first time you saw Oldboy was on DVD. It was a must have/find, thanks to word-of-mouth descriptions of it being "totally fucked up."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:24 pm Had no idea there was an American version.
The original was so good that I had no desire to see the American version even if it was made by Spike Lee. There's just no way it was going to be as good as the original.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I guess there are a lot of people who didn't see the original and didn't know the twist, but if aren't one of those people, why would you watch the remake?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:55 pm I guess there are a lot of people who didn't see the original and didn't know the twist, but if aren't one of those people, why would you watch the remake?
Since I don’t know, which should I watch? I typically go original.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It was fucked up, but it was an awesome movie. See the original.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

For Oldboy, the original. Easy answer.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

$4 movie day tomorrow. Son and I are going with a double feature....9AM Gran Turismo followed by Strays.\

Not quite Barbihiamier but should be fun
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Strays is so much up my alley, I'm not even embarrassed to admit it anymore. There is zero way I won't at minimum very much enjoy that movie.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Giff wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:36 pm Strays is so much up my alley, I'm not even embarrassed to admit it anymore. There is zero way I won't at minimum very much enjoy that movie.
My daughter saw it at a preview screening. Her verdict was that it was okay, but that I would love it.

And I know that she is right.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:36 pm Strays is so much up my alley, I'm not even embarrassed to admit it anymore. There is zero way I won't at minimum very much enjoy that movie.
The trailers look promising, but I could see it being horrible. I definitely want to see it though.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Glad I only paid $4 for Gran T. That will be on prime soon and while racing scenes were cool this movie was like a New York lunch buffet. Lots of content but not really good and no depth. Just a taste of many stories that could have gone deeper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Strays was stupid and crude. I am not sure it was even a $4 dollar movie and I like stupid movies. I watch dumb movies multiple times. Won't even watch this if it were a passing on TV station moment.

But has it's moments.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Deer Hunter popped up on Netflix this month. An absolute Top 10 all-time movie and Michael Cimino is by a country mile the biggest “one-hit wonder” in the history of film.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:39 pm Deer Hunter popped up on Netflix this month. An absolute Top 10 all-time movie and Michael Cimino is by a country mile the biggest “one-hit wonder” in the history of film.
That's now on my list to watch because of the Vietnam & Hollywood podcast I listened to recently.

Already watched Born on the 4th of July. That was really, really good.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:06 am
I also saw Spiderverse and while it was beautifully and creatively animated and funny and exciting I knew going in that it was pulling the
[+] spoiler
part one of two trick that seems to be all the rage this summer (hi Fast X and MI) so I guess I sort of spent a lot of time waiting for the plot to kick in only to be a little underwhelmed when it finally hit the cliffhanger.
Agree 100%. An absolutely incredible-looking movie
[+] spoiler
I didn't know about the cliffhanger, but figured when the movie hit the 2 hour mark and we hadn't seen the original villain in an hour that something was up. And in classic Marvel style, so much of the movie was spent setting up other movies.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Is this even MCU though! This nos more Sony I believe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Left about halfway and started drinking but the colors were worth the ticket I was forced to buy because my 16 and 14 aren't allowed in the theater by themselves. Fuckers. Then buying my $20 wasn't good enough... ticket taker made me go in with them. Damn near cussed out the teen. Kids had to pull me away. Double fuckers
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve never seen any of the Fast/Furious movies but going to watch FastX.

Updates to follow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m clearly never going to watch any of the first 9 movies and I’m pretty lost already.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I get you’re supposed to just turn your brain off and suspend all disbelief but god damn is this some idiotic shit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:44 pm I get you’re supposed to just turn your brain off and suspend all disbelief but god damn is this some idiotic shit.
Just remember...in the first one (the only one I've seen) they are common criminals who are stealing DVD players and VCR's.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This movie is vastly better when people aren’t talking. I’m not sure they can really insult the audience’s intelligence so they should just dispense with any semblance of plot and have two hours of cool car shit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The only thing worse than sitting through that shit was when I realized it didn’t have an ending. Bad enough the plot is shit but not at least ending it was a kick in the nuts.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw, if you were going to randomly watch one make it the 5th. Genuinely great action sequences.

Fast X was pretty blech, other than wondering if Momoa can manage to dial it up further every time he pops up.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:58 am Aw, if you were going to randomly watch one make it the 5th. Genuinely great action sequences.
The "Shutdown Fullcast" episode where they had a Fast tournament randomly downloaded for me last week. #5 scored very high, as did #3.

I have seen none of the movies.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I know I've seen snippets of a couple of the first ones... Just the trailers that I've seen... Cars can't do most of the shit they are showing... I'm not a huge stickler, but when you see a car basically pulling a tank or whatever or like, basically flying from the top of a bridge 5 stories down on top of another highway... It's just too stupid.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I know I've seen snippets of a couple of the first ones... Just the trailers that I've seen... Cars can't do most of the shit they are showing... I'm not a huge stickler, but when you see a car basically pulling a tank or whatever or like, basically flying from the top of a bridge 5 stories down on top of another highway... It's just too stupid.
No dumber than Bond, Mission Impossible, or Arnold movies (okay maybe dumber). You just go in expecting what you expect. Like a Transformer movie or Sharknado. Just with a higher budget and the car stunts are the hero.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Funny, now that you mention it, the only franchise like that I've stayed up with are the Bourne movies.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:41 am
rass wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:58 am Aw, if you were going to randomly watch one make it the 5th. Genuinely great action sequences.
The "Shutdown Fullcast" episode where they had a Fast tournament randomly downloaded for me last week. #5 scored very high, as did #3.
The All Fantasy Everything podcast did a draft of the entire franchise with Roxane Gay, which is great: The Fast & Furious Franchise (w/ Roxane Gay, David Gborie, Sean Jordan)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:55 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:51 am I know I've seen snippets of a couple of the first ones... Just the trailers that I've seen... Cars can't do most of the shit they are showing... I'm not a huge stickler, but when you see a car basically pulling a tank or whatever or like, basically flying from the top of a bridge 5 stories down on top of another highway... It's just too stupid.
No dumber than Bond, Mission Impossible, or Arnold movies (okay maybe dumber). You just go in expecting what you expect. Like a Transformer movie or Sharknado. Just with a higher budget and the car stunts are the hero.
Sorry, it's definitely dumber than all of those you mentioned first. Transformers and Sharknado are more like it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm not a big Tom Cruise person, so the MI franchise is me to me. Saw the first one and... I'm good.

As for the Bond franchise, that's one where I have a ton of movies to go back and watch, because I've always dug it, but I just haven't caught one in... 10 years? Wife and I have talked about picking those up when we're looking for movie nights.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:29 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:55 am
Sorry, it's definitely dumber than all of those you mentioned first. Transformers and Sharknado are more like it.
Missing the point. You are not buying a ticket to be surprised or see great acting. After the first one (which is point break with hondas and muscle cars), you really are buying a ticket/investing your time to see ridiculous car stunts done by cars painted ugly colors and neon. Well that and of course

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:49 pm

Missing the point. You are not buying a ticket to be surprised or see great acting. After the first one (which is point break with hondas and muscle cars), you really are buying a ticket/investing your time to see ridiculous car stunts done by cars painted ugly colors and neon. Well that and of course

I got the point after seeing the first one when it came out. I'm still amazed they make a profit churning these out. I hated the first one and don't imagine they got much better. I saw the first MI in the theater. I think I liked it, but that was enough.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, no, I get the point. A cantaloupe could get the point. I can handle and like dumb action movies. I haven't watched more than a couple of these, but they were so dumb they broke through my suspension of disbelief.

That said, I've considered giving them another run with a way lower expectation. Just go for the booms and the revs.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

If I'm going to go somewhere for family it's going to be the Olive Garden.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?