Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 am From The Atlantic:

Electric Vehicles Are Bringing Out the Worst in Us

If you don't have free reads:

https://archive.is/k9czo

Maaaaaan, I just want to drive something that isn't bad for the environment!.
I'm curious if these larger EVs come with crash avoidance and obstacle detection systems, and how much (if any) those systems mitigate the added risks to pedestrians and people in smaller cars.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If you don’t want to ride a boke you can walk, right?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:04 pm Ride a boke or public transportation.
or you could ride a bloke...but not sure how that will help unless he has a nice car or tandem bicycle.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:04 pm

Ride a boke or public transportation.
Not for nothing but a lot of towns aren't set up for easy biking and/or public transportation. Lexington's mass transit system is a joke and very few bike lanes on the main roads.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:35 pm

Not for nothing but a lot of towns aren't set up for easy biking and/or public transportation. Lexington's mass transit system is a joke and very few bike lanes on the main roads.
I'd be surprised if there's more than a handful of places in the US where you could give up a car and not severely restrict your lifestyle.

Salt Lake City certainly isn't one of them. I try to take public transit or bike to work once a week, and it takes so much longer than driving. And when I do that, I am limited to simply going directly to work or directly home. I can't run errands on the way or make any side trips. And SLC has pretty decent public transportation for a city of its size.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:41 pm

I'd be surprised if there's more than a handful of places in the US where you could give up a car and not severely restrict your lifestyle.

Salt Lake City certainly isn't one of them. I try to take public transit or bike to work once a week, and it takes so much longer than driving. And when I do that, I am limited to simply going directly to work or directly home. I can't run errands on the way or make any side trips. And SLC has pretty decent public transportation for a city of its size.
plus that whole I got hit by a car thing
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't know where to put this, so I will put it here...holy fuck

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Brian Kelly likes this]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:41 pm

Sorry, didn't think the orange font was necessary here. I can walk to most of the stores and restaurants in my town, and my wife likes to force me and the kids to walk to places in other towns, but it's not remotely walkable to live here, and public transit is almost exclusively for getting to NYC.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tesla drastically lowers EV pricing in the US and Europe
The least expensive EV, the Model 3 RWD, has dropped from $46,990 to $43,990, while the 5-seat Model Y Long Range fell 20 percent from $65,990 to $52,990. That means the latter model now qualifies for the $7,500 US Federal Tax credit, so the final price drop will be $20,500 — over 30 percent.
Still holding out for something else though.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:24 am Tesla drastically lowers EV pricing in the US and Europe
The least expensive EV, the Model 3 RWD, has dropped from $46,990 to $43,990, while the 5-seat Model Y Long Range fell 20 percent from $65,990 to $52,990. That means the latter model now qualifies for the $7,500 US Federal Tax credit, so the final price drop will be $20,500 — over 30 percent.
I thought you were getting a Lucid.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:28 pmSorry, didn't think the orange font was necessary here. I can walk to most of the stores and restaurants in my town, and my wife likes to force me and the kids to walk to places in other towns, but it's not remotely walkable to live here, and public transit is almost exclusively for getting to NYC.
Yeah, that was upsetting to learn. We were one car in Boston but could have been zero if not for the dog. I was adamant we'd stay at one when we moved to NJ (lived like three blocks from the BH train) and that lasted maybe a month ... as soon as we became a two working parent household again it was impossible.

(As of right now, I'm pretty convinced we can stay at two even when we pick up a 3rd driver since the 2nd car sits unused most of the time.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:33 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:28 pmSorry, didn't think the orange font was necessary here. I can walk to most of the stores and restaurants in my town, and my wife likes to force me and the kids to walk to places in other towns, but it's not remotely walkable to live here, and public transit is almost exclusively for getting to NYC.
Yeah, that was upsetting to learn. We were one car in Boston but could have been zero if not for the dog. I was adamant we'd stay at one when we moved to NJ (lived like three blocks from the BH train) and that lasted maybe a month ... as soon as we became a two working parent household again it was impossible.

(As of right now, I'm pretty convinced we can stay at two even when we pick up a 3rd driver since the 2nd car sits unused most of the time.)
Oh, the third car discussion... Last summer my son was working and thinking he was saving up to buy a car. He was working for the town Rec Dept summer cam program, getting 4 hours a day, and only working half the weeks the program ran. I had to let him know it'd take him 10 summers to save up enough to buy an old used car. With both of us currently working mostly from home, I can't imagine getting a 3rd car, but we'll see what happens. 6 months until he turns 17 and can get his license.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is the law here 17? My 11 year old might punch me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:43 pm Is the law here 17? My 11 year old might punch me.
16 for permit, 17 for license. At least in my district, drivers ed is mandatory in school and they take their written permit test at school. NJ also requires 6 hours of professional driving school instruction before you can get a permit. You give the forms and check for the MVC to the driving school and they submit it for you at the end of the course. I used to think that was a racket, but I was happy for it in the end. And now I get to drive around with bright red squares on the corner of my license plates signaling a permitted driver might be driving.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wait, drivers ed is mandatory? What if a kid doesn't want to drive or is scared to?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

What does the permit allow the holder to do?

Around here, permits can be issued at 15 1/2, but they only allow the driver to drive with an adult family member sitting in the passenger seat.

Then licenses are available at 16, but they are restricted, so no driving at night except directly to or from a job until they turn 17, and no driving with non-family members in the car until they've been licensed for six months.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:47 pm Wait, drivers ed is mandatory? What if a kid doesn't want to drive or is scared to?
Maybe it's not, and just almost everyone takes it, not sure. There is no actual driving in drivers ed, just classroom and teaching for the permit test.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 am
Johnnie wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:24 am Tesla drastically lowers EV pricing in the US and Europe
I thought you were getting a Lucid.
Not into the 6 figure priced models.

I originally wanted an Ionic 5, but now I want a Lyriq.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:26 pm I don't think the blazer is out until 2024 models start showing up.
Looks like this will be out this summer. The Blazer SS is on the same platform as the Lyriq and now I don't know which one I want. It may come down to the interior or something. The prices for both are similar.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/blazer-ev

I went to Day 1 of Barrett-Jackson on Saturday in Scottsdale and walked for 7 hours straight looking thousands of cars that are available to be bid on.

But also....it's a car show. They had an entire warehouse-sized building of new stuff to check out. I got to actually sit in the Lyriq to get the feel of it! It's awesome.

Here's a video someone uploaded of just a little bit of what of the experience:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thank you, Dark Brandon.

Biden administration expands EV tax credits in boost for Tesla, Cadillac, others
The U.S. Treasury is changing its definition of an “SUV” to make more electric vehicles from Tesla, General Motors and others eligible for up to $7,500 federal tax credits at higher prices.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Tesla Cybertruck looks like shit. That is the first thing about it. It looks like somebody should be pulling it out of a men's size-10 loafer in a shoe store in Times Square. It looks like a beard trimmer that plays Phil Collins songs. It looks like it should come free with a Sports Illustrated print subscription in 1987. Maybe it'll look better if you hit ctrl-alt-delete a few times or close WordPerfect in the background. Maybe it's just weird to see it outside of its natural environment, upright on the wall of a public restroom, dispensing paper towels.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

It looks like something you would find playing Minecraft.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Looks like something you'd shoot in a low-poly video game and it would disintegrate into a bunch of triangles.

eta... i prob just said the same thing as sabo
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I can't stop laughing at this.

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

I don't know if I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I drive an electric car because my company has free charging points, and 95% of my driving is local (within 15 - 20 miles). I don't have a drive way, so cannot charge at home, but it makes no odds due to the work situation.

Makes too much sense to me, so no point going another way.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

We're looking at a Volvo XC40 Electric next week. Anyone have/driven one of these?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:43 am We're looking at a Volvo XC40 Electric next week. Anyone have/driven one of these?
Good friend got one about a year ago and absolutely loves it. Ended up getting a second for his wife.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

phxgators wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:43 am We're looking at a Volvo XC40 Electric next week. Anyone have/driven one of these?
My parents have one and seem to be pretty happy with it. The interior isn't very big and the range isn't Tesla-esque, so I don't know how it would be on road trips, but no complaints from them thus far.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Thanks guys! We're not as worried with the range for how it will be used. But sounds like no red flags so far at least.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Good friend got one about a year ago and absolutely loves it. Ended up getting a second for his wife.
Read this too fast and thought he loved it so much he got a second wife.

I was like, "Wow. Ok. What an interesting turn of events."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:19 pm
Read this too fast and thought he loved it so much he got a second wife.

I was like, "Wow. Ok. What an interesting turn of events."
Car got him so horned up his wife needed help servicing him.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm picking up my new (to me) Model Y tonight. My wife got t-boned by a delivery truck about a month ago, totaling our Highlander. We wanted the next one to be electric, and we need an SUV to get our kids and dog to beach. And we need something we can charge between here and the beach, so really Tesla was the only option. I'm pretty excited.

(Also, we're buying a used one - from Tesla - so I can convince myself that I'm not putting too much money in Elon's pocket.)
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw a Tesla semi truck heading into the Gigafactory outside Reno the other day. Kind of weird looking but kind of cool.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:21 am Saw a Tesla semi truck heading into the Gigafactory outside Reno the other day. Kind of weird looking but kind of cool.
Electric trucks seems like a no-brainer, but I also remember reading that towing anything with a Tesla seriously reduces its range. Life, more affect than on ICEs. I don't remember the explanation for why. But maybe it's just a configuration thing. Obviously they wouldn't have built a semi without addressing range and towing capacity.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am
brian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:21 am Saw a Tesla semi truck heading into the Gigafactory outside Reno the other day. Kind of weird looking but kind of cool.
Electric trucks seems like a no-brainer, but I also remember reading that towing anything with a Tesla seriously reduces its range. Life, more affect than on ICEs. I don't remember the explanation for why. But maybe it's just a configuration thing. Obviously they wouldn't have built a semi without addressing range and towing capacity.
Yeah they’re still a decade away from solving the issue of being able to tow 80,000 lbs with an electric power train but it’ll be a huge win for reducing carbon when they get there.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Holy shit, Dave. I hope your wife is doing ok. I'm sorry to hear that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:29 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:25 am
Yeah they’re still a decade away from solving the issue of being able to tow 80,000 lbs with an electric power train but it’ll be a huge win for reducing carbon when they get there.
What kind of effect do you think this will have on your new profession?
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am Holy shit, Dave. I hope your wife is doing ok. I'm sorry to hear that.
Thanks. It was amazing, other than some bruises, she just had a broken finger that wasn't quite bad enough to go to the emergency room. The SUV took the damage for her. Luckily it hit her on the passenger side and I guess wasn't going as fast as it could have been. The whole process of dealing with their insurance, finding a new car, buying it, arranging the loan and insurance has been a major pain in the ass, but I'm pretty excited for the Tesla.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am Holy shit, Dave. I hope your wife is doing ok. I'm sorry to hear that.
Thanks. It was amazing, other than some bruises, she just had a broken finger that wasn't quite bad enough to go to the emergency room. The SUV took the damage for her. Luckily it hit her on the passenger side and I guess wasn't going as fast as it could have been. The whole process of dealing with their insurance, finding a new car, buying it, arranging the loan and insurance has been a major pain in the ass, but I'm pretty excited for the Tesla.
Oh man. Dealing with all that on top of potential injuries must have been annoying, but I'm glad it worked out in the end and that your wife is ok.

That being said, congrats on the new car.