The Dude

Re: NCAA FB 2023

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:27 pm
Outscored them 28-0 since then.

EDIT: 35-0. Long live the trident.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:41 pm Image
that gets a Tommy Point
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brick killed a guy!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

C’mon fuck this guy.

I take it back. It’s gonna be funnier when he fails at Colorado.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don’t think Dan Lanning is leaving Oregon for Colorado anytime soon, but I agree. Fuck that guy.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Deion Sanders wrote:“This is the worst we’re gonna be. You better get me right now.”
That is almost verbatim what Dan Hurley (coach, UConn Men’s BB) said in reference to a tough stretch in the Big East last winter.
Dan Hurley wrote:“People better get us now, that's all. You better get us now, because it's coming…”
Note how Sanders’ level of narcissism can make even Dan Hurley appear levelheaded.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Speaking of unhinged, what's the deal with the Ohio State skip? He looks like the next B1G scandal waiting to happen.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Rex wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:05 am Speaking of unhinged, what's the deal with the Ohio State skip? He looks like the next B1G scandal waiting to happen.
It's probably hard when you win 90% of your games and your fanbase wants you fired. He's coming off a pair of 11-2 seasons where they lost to Michigan in each season and, in order, missed the playoff and lost to the eventual national champion by a single point in the national semifinal. Those fans clearly make an amazing case for dumping him.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If tOSU loses to Michigan again, it's like -500 some crazed Bucknut just out of jail from a January 6 related sentence takes him and his family hostage.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:05 pm Part of the problem is not Deion’s fault but the media hype is so overwhelming out of the gate. Maybe give the guy a season or two (at the FBS level) before deciding how good of a coach he is.
Well, any time a 1-11 team comes out of the gate 3-0, the coach is going to be recognized, even if he wasn’t already a celebrity.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The problem hasn’t necessarily been Deion…it’s been the hype. Reality is his team beat a much-worse-than-last-year TCU, a still shitty Nebraska and barely beat a mediocre to terrible CSU. They were never worthy of College Gameday & two Fox Kickoffs. They are going to get hammered by USC and Utah and now UCLA, WSU and OSU are in question. I like Deion…I think he’s a good coach but they just aren’t there yet.

The again some of it is self inflicted…he said he was bringing Luis Vuitton when he was hired. Looks more like Amazon Basics.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Their game against CSU is the 5th highest rated college football game on ESPN ever. That’s not all the media.

Y’all realize he’s one of the most popular NFL players of all-time right? He has already surpassed the Vegas odds on wins this year. I know y’all well enough to not cast aspersions on y’all, but no way the negative reaction to this would be the same if this was Steve Young doing this.
Last edited by Giff on Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:35 pm Hope Oregon hangs 70 on Deion today.
Wrong Colorado team.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Get ready for your whooping chedds
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Scared money don't make money
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:59 pm There’s a top college player named “Michael Penix Jr.”?
What's kind of amazing/damning is that this dude was languishing at Indiana and moves to Washington and is absolutely obliterating his opponents. I mean, he had two really decent years at IU, with something like 1500 yards each year. He put up over 4500 yards last year and had 31 TDs and 8 INTs. This year in 3 games he's put up 1600 yds, 16 TDs and 2 INTs.

Dude went from ho-hum boring B1G QB to Heisman watch and potential 2nd (maybe higher?) round draft pick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 pm Yeah, I knew the haters would come out of the woodwork when Colorado got beat. I know Brian and Pruitt aren’t in this camp but a lot of the haters online display some dog whistle behavior.
Yuuup. I posted about this earlier in the season. Made me root for Deion even though I've traditionally not enjoyed the Prime Time bullshit.

I like that they went 3-0. Now reality is going to smack them in the behind a bit. And that's fine. Putting an all-star team together can get you some quick results. But The Ducks and at least 3 of their other remaining opponents don't play around. And they've been built with a consistency that CO won't have for at least 3 years. It's hard to just slap a team together and to just announce "This is our culture!"

Doesn't work like that.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Giff wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:10 pm Their game against CSU is the 5th highest rated college football game on ESPN ever. That’s not all the media.

Y’all realize he’s one of the most popular NFL players of all-time right? He has already surpassed the Vegas odds on wins this year. I know y’all well enough to not cast aspersions on y’all, but no way the negative reaction to this would be the same if this was Steve Young doing this.
Are you serious with that statement? More advertising/promotion = more people watching. It's exactly all the media.

If Steve Young walked into a room full of players that had committed to the school and told them "most of you won't be here", "I'm bringing Luis V" etc. he would have caught shit for it. Multiple things can be true...there can be a segment of the country, media, population whatever where the dog whistle applies; there can be another that thinks the trash talk without the history to back it up is premature. The Colts caught shit last year for bringing Jeff Saturday in off the street to coach last season...no dog whistle applies there.

Again...the problem isn't Deion...the problem is/was the coronation that he represents the future of coaching. He might...(thanks to the transfer portal) but it's tbd.
What am I, 12?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They've hyped up many other games a lot more than that one and all but four of them had lower ratings. That's not all the media.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Deion story is interesting because it has a lot of angles to it. Of course, race is a part of it, but there's a lot more.

You also have his flashy brashness. Cockiness. That's always going to get attention and create a desire in people to see him fail.

And then there's the "new money" aspect of someone trying to jump up and be a power in a sport that expects that sort of thing to take a long time to build.

Add in the part about how Deion ran off nearly an entire team of D1 scholarship players and used the new (and somewhat controversial) transfer portal to completely rebuild a team.

There's a lot to love and hate about Deion and Colorado.

For my part, I'm just intrigued because I doubted him when he joined Jackson State. I've long had a belief that great players rarely make good coaches. That's extra true if it's a freak athlete. I just feel like those guys don't see the sport the same way as the vast majority of kids they coach. And that's way you see so many fail (e.g., Magic, Drexler, Isiah, etc.) (I guess it's less common in football) But then, Deion surprised me by being quite successful at Jackson State. But then maybe it was just a marketing thing? He could get better talent than other schools he was competing against, so coaching maybe is less of an issue. So, I doubted him at Colorado too, and so far, he's exceeded my expectations. I still don't believe in him, but I'm not as sure as I once was.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I think somewhat Deion at Jackson St is like Wrexham. You can have an outsized impact at that level because those around you are on the same struggle bus and all of a sudden... poof. Hollywood money and/or Hollywood coach.

I will say this... Having read up on him as a coach and that article about how MLB players and coaches talked about him? I think there's a lot more substance than flash. His moment to be Prime are those pressers and he's going to use the platform. But behind closed doors, ppl tell a very different story about him (in a positive way.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I want to clarify a couple points here that a lot of people seem to miss:

1. He wasn’t some “guy off the street” coach. Jackson State’s program was at the bottom of Division II. He quickly turned it around and had them in the National Championship game. So, he did have a coaching résumé worth pursuing, above and beyond his celebrity.

2. He wasn’t going to win with the previous team’s players so, yes, he had to turn over the roster. But, did you know that none of those players from last year’s team had their scholarships revoked? That is rarely understood by the scolds who think he should have tried to win with the 1-11 players. Certainly, they were strongly encouraged to transfer elsewhere, where they could continue to be on a team and get playing time, but that isn’t the full story.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't want to keep belaboring the topic (which means I'm about to)...it was a garbage-ass slate of games that Saturday...one of the worst in recent memory. Yes, Deion is one of the most popular athletes of our time but moved out of the spotlight after he retired from playing...his Q rating or whatever wasn't near the level we might think it was.

Basically, he came in, talked trash, beat some shitty teams while claiming everyone was against them (which they were prior to week 1; not so much after), still talked trash, got his ass kicked. End of story. He fucked around and found out. It's like in MLB when the Reds went on the 12 game win streak in June...yeah it is great story but I had people telling me to put money down on them winning the division, make the playoffs, etc. I declined b/c it's a long season and looking at the context of the situation they were not going to hold it together.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Going 3-0, even against suspect teams (and, TCU is better than you admit) is impressive for a team that was 1-11 last year, whether you want to admit it or not.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

SC - The only area where I'm going to call him out isn't that he bounced all those players, it's HOW he did it. Players get to the meeting with no agenda or clue as to what is going to happen. All of a sudden, AD camera folks are getting 3 different angles as Deion walks in and really says some not so great things about getting rid of them.

These are 19-22 year old young men.

Not cool.

ETA - As was said above, many things can be true at once. A lot of his PR-facing stuff is going to bother people and that "meeting" where he told 90 percent of the team to take a walk was obviously staged for the media (traditional and social, to be sure.) And trying to make a every game into some personal vendetta with the other coach? That's just stupid and very transparently trying to get his players worked up... and as we saw on saturday only goes so far at this level.

Overall, though, it's pretty fun to watch. He's not in my conference stirring up shit, so... :D
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Again, I'm not knocking Deion as a person or coach...I've been a Reds fan my entire life and loved him when we was in Cincinnati. The article in the Athletic was stuff I already knew. That combined with his "star power" will bring in top-notch recruits (which is how JSU got better so fast), which matters more than anything else. I understand the "Coach Prime" persona, trash talk (or whatever you want to call it...I'm out of the country right now so it's late and can't think of a better word) and know it's part of not just his game but today's game. He might be the future of coaching if it works out.

I have two problems:
1) ESPN, Fox, etc. anointing him (not CU, him) national title contenders and the story of the CFB season. We are soooo desperate for stars and stories to feed the media beast that one hint of something gets magnified...they will do anything to build him up. He will get a lot more leeway because he was media for a lot of years and has cred as a former player and colleague.

2) Him telling a room full of kids they were the reason CU was so bad and therefore must be gone. And he was celebrated for it. We can argue whether or not they are kids but I just didn't think, as good of a guy as Deion is, it was something good coaches or good guys do. Sometimes good guys make mistakes...that was one IMO. The fact that scholarships were not revoked doesn't mean jack shit...the end result is the same. If you want to fire someone without having to actually fire them you make their life miserable until they quit. Good coaches win with the guys they get. Great coaches win with the guys they've got.

Coaching at Jackson State is not the same as coaching at a PAC 12 soon-to-be Big 12 school...there are other programs competing for top talent.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:40 pm Again, I'm not knocking Deion as a person or coach...I've been a Reds fan my entire life and loved him when we was in Cincinnati. The article in the Athletic was stuff I already knew. That combined with his "star power" will bring in top-notch recruits (which is how JSU got better so fast), which matters more than anything else. I understand the "Coach Prime" persona, trash talk (or whatever you want to call it...I'm out of the country right now so it's late and can't think of a better word) and know it's part of not just his game but today's game. He might be the future of coaching if it works out.

I have two problems:
1) ESPN, Fox, etc. anointing him (not CU, him) national title contenders and the story of the CFB season. We are soooo desperate for stars and stories to feed the media beast that one hint of something gets magnified...they will do anything to build him up. He will get a lot more leeway because he was media for a lot of years and has cred as a former player and colleague.

2) Him telling a room full of kids they were the reason CU was so bad and therefore must be gone. And he was celebrated for it. We can argue whether or not they are kids but I just didn't think, as good of a guy as Deion is, it was something good coaches or good guys do. Sometimes good guys make mistakes...that was one IMO. The fact that scholarships were not revoked doesn't mean jack shit...the end result is the same. If you want to fire someone without having to actually fire them you make their life miserable until they quit. Good coaches win with the guys they get. Great coaches win with the guys they've got.

Coaching at Jackson State is not the same as coaching at a PAC 12 soon-to-be Big 12 school...there are other programs competing for top talent.
"Good" or not is debatable, and I don't know of any other mass firing on this scale, but this absolutely happens when coaches take over new teams.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It happens, but I'm not sure it's ever happened at that scale before. And probably couldn't have without fielding a team of all freshman. The new transfer rules made this possible. It's not necessarily bad to come in and clean house after a 1-11 season. I don't love it for the kids, but they knew they were getting into the big time when they took a P5 scholarship. Buuut, as has been said, that should not have been on camera.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:10 pmIt happens, but I'm not sure it's ever happened at that scale before. And probably couldn't have without fielding a team of all freshman. The new transfer rules made this possible. It's not necessarily bad to come in and clean house after a 1-11 season. I don't love it for the kids, but they knew they were getting into the big time when they took a P5 scholarship. Buuut, as has been said, that should not have been on camera.
Yeah, the portal makes it completely different. When Doug Marrone (this is where you laugh) took over at Syracuse after the 2008 season (they went 3-9), he told a lot of players that they wouldn't play, so many left. I believe he ended up with 59 scholarship players out of 85 spots his first season.

Regarding the promoting of this coming weekend's USC-Colorado game, Fox used the 12-day notice to slot it for noon Eastern so they could go straight from their pregame show to the game. If things go as expected on Saturday (the line has jumped from USC -14.5 to -21.5), that won't happen again. Colorado will still end up on Fox and FS1 because of Sanders' notoriety the rest of the season, but it's going to fade.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I hate that the Jason Whitlocks of the world are jumping from this diving board to attack Sanders, cuz that's how I've viewed Deion as a fraud the past decade.

Before that he was just a performative douche.

Same as it ever was.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://footballscoop.com/news/wazzus-j ... ge-gameday

Wazzou coach kind of goes off on ESPN and Lee Corso. While he makes valid points, I'd think he would want to leave Coach out of this... He's clearly still dealing with the effects of a stroke. That said, I'd be pretty pissed if someone said a marquee match up of ranked, undefeated teams should be called the "No One is Watching Bowl."

Talk about kicking programs when they're "down."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:40 pm.
1) ESPN, Fox, etc. anointing him (not CU, him) national title contenders and the story of the CFB season.
no one was seriously touting Colorado as a national title contender and Colorado is the story of the CFB season because people are paying attention to Colorado more than anything else

Saturday's game had as many viewers as Notre Dame-Ohio State despite being a blowout in the afternoon and going up against Ole Miss-Alabama
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:43 am https://footballscoop.com/news/wazzus-j ... ge-gameday

Wazzou coach kind of goes off on ESPN and Lee Corso. While he makes valid points, I'd think he would want to leave Coach out of this... He's clearly still dealing with the effects of a stroke. That said, I'd be pretty pissed if someone said a marquee match up of ranked, undefeated teams should be called the "No One is Watching Bowl."

Talk about kicking programs when they're "down."
Corso also didn't say what Dickert said he did
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.on3.com/news/lee-corso-nobo ... e-dickert/

Apparently so.

He said Nobody Wants Us versus Nobody Is Watching...

(Goes to the fact that he's become kind of difficult to understand lately.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Tucker's legal team responds to MSU over notification of termination (or whatever legal term was used.)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... fire-cause

I have to say, I think the U is going to have to pay him out. Or they settle for a huge chunk of money.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Foley has nice offices and is the preeminent big firm in Wisconsin. So nice that dude better win or settle. If im MSU I might string him along a bit and see how well hes been saving.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If Tucker gets even 20 cents on the dollar that’s a nice chunk of change.