Best 3rd baseman ever

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Best 3rd baseman ever

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:38 pm So I have 2 handwritten thank you notes from Brooks to my dad. My dad was not moved by celebrates and athletes...except for Brooks. My dad treated a friend of his and Brooks wrote him a amazing thank you letter after his friend passed.
Dr. Lax Kevorkian?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:36 pmSo, you're willing to discard data that doesn't suit you?
I'm willing to point out there isn't data at all. Just like if there wasn't offensive data kept, someone could say Dave Kingman was one of the best offensive players ever or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Bringing it back to Mr. Impossible, Robinson was born as a natural lefty, but learned to throw with his right so he could play in the infield. Keep that in mind when watching some of these throws, most especially the one in the 1970 WS against the Reds, around 2:30 below:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:10 pm Howard Johnson was the greatest 3B of all time. End of discussion.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I would hope the team would have a #5 patch on the uniform sleeve tonight. I would really love to see every Orioles player wear the #5 on their back tonight.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Best ever at something.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:42 pm I would hope the team would have a #5 patch on the uniform sleeve tonight. I would really love to see every Orioles player wear the #5 on their back tonight.
They are.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Most Iconic Brooks Pic/Moment?

or

or (could not find a better version of that deep throw out)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

it's the bottom one.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is there a non-dick way to say that atleast 1/3 of 3B in MLB now make that play? Like Machado from foul territory is both still amazing and almost commonplace?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:11 am Is there a non-dick way to say that atleast 1/3 of 3B in MLB now make that play? Like Machado from foul territory is both still amazing and almost commonplace?
No but sports have changed..I mean shortly after Brooks retired you have Floyd Rayford playing 3rd based and nobody was buying his 190lbs on the back of the baseball card. Players today are better athletes, better trained, etc. So yeah we see that on the highlights a number of times each season, but Machado is not smoking 2 packs a day, eating a bucket of friend chicken like Wade, and working out with trainer Izzy Mandelbaum.

It was special then.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's how I meant it. First to do something is still super impressive, but when people are like "they don't make 3B like Brooks anymore", its silly.

(I do kinda thing they haven't made anyone like Ozzie since Ozzie. He had freak range.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's not as bad as when they say "only in baseball" when something unique happens. "WHAT, YOU MEAN THE ASTROS HAVE NEVER NO-HIT THE YANKEES IN BASKETBALL?!?!"*

*this is just the one I remember from when I was driving to California last summer and listening to the ESPN radio announcers call that game.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I want to start a new thread on this ...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Thanks for shitting all over a childhood hero fellas. Can’t wait until one of your dies. 😜
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“Was any player who was never even the best on his own team hyped more than Messier???”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice of wlu to bring up boggs. Worthy of mention in this conversation I think
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:01 pm Yeah, that's how I meant it. First to do something is still super impressive, but when people are like "they don't make 3B like Brooks anymore", its silly.

(I do kinda thing they haven't made anyone like Ozzie since Ozzie. He had freak range.)
FFS dude.

When people wax "they don't make X like Y anymore," they're clearly speaking in hyperbole. You're literally trying to argue people's romantic memories with data.

I'd wonder if you're Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but that's giving you too much credit, cuz you know better.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you believe that "old X is better than new Y" is meant as hyperbole rather than as a core belief for like half of all sports fans (and people), we have foundational disagreements we won't ever get past.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:29 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:01 pm Yeah, that's how I meant it. First to do something is still super impressive, but when people are like "they don't make 3B like Brooks anymore", its silly.

FFS dude.

When people wax "they don't make X like Y anymore," they're clearly speaking in hyperbole. You're literally trying to argue people's romantic memories with data.

I'd wonder if you're Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but that's giving you too much credit, cuz you know better.
This has ALWAYS been a site focused on facts and statistics over sentiment and such. I learned that the first week in the Swamp when somebody (I think it was GritzgoesBlue) dunked on me with some facts.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Don’t fuck with romantic memories man.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto