Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by duff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:03 pm Enjoying season 2 of winning time. Fat Jay Mohr playing an agent. Brody as Pat Riley. Seagal...I understand why they did not let Will Ferrell in on this and it was the right call.
Jay Mohr three me a little as Kareem's agent.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It got canceled and I didn't like the first season enough to be excited about this one, so I think I'm just going to delete. Way too much other stuff to watch with way too many other things vying for my attention during down times.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

did not know it was cancelled...bummer. The cinematic work and director choices make it compelling. An example is the lead up to the Lakers-Celts final was done really well (ball being passed).
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:08 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:03 pm Enjoying season 2 of winning time. Fat Jay Mohr playing an agent. Brody as Pat Riley. Seagal...I understand why they did not let Will Ferrell in on this and it was the right call.
Jay Mohr three me a little as Kareem's agent.
Was he Bob Sugar's dad?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And Jay Mohr married Jeanie Buss IRL a few weeks ago btw
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I know we're way late on this, but we finally finished off "Ted Lasso". It was good...nice to see everyone got a happy ending. Thought it was funny how more of the soccer luminaries (Thierry Henry, Mike Dean, Pep) showed up this season.

Not sure if we still need a spoiler, but one question:
[+] spoiler
Did Ted get back together with his ex? Because the marriage counsellor guy wasn't at their kid's soccer game at the end.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, they left you with that vibe, but I think they left it vague so as not to wrap it up too tightly... Would've seemed a bit saccharine, maybe?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:53 pm I know we're way late on this, but we finally finished off "Ted Lasso". It was good...nice to see everyone got a happy ending. Thought it was funny how more of the soccer luminaries (Thierry Henry, Mike Dean, Pep) showed up this season.

Not sure if we still need a spoiler, but one question:
[+] spoiler
Did Ted get back together with his ex? Because the marriage counsellor guy wasn't at their kid's soccer game at the end.
I don't think so. But she did realize that the other guy was a douchenozzle.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And really fucking unethical.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:15 am Yeah, they left you with that vibe, but I think they left it vague so as not to wrap it up too tightly... Would've seemed a bit saccharine, maybe?
That show was pretty much all saccharine. High quality saccharine, to be sure....
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:33 am And really fucking unethical.
What's the point of being a therapist if not taking advantage of vulnerable patients? I just assumed they weren't back together, but co-parenting in a super healthy way, but they did leave the door open, and it would make sense as he changed the things that pushed her away.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of seemed like a weird note to end a series about the Lakers dynasty on.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:24 am Kind of seemed like a weird note to end a series about the Lakers dynasty on.
Reading a bit about the end of the series. 1.) HBO gave them a heads up this was coming and they had to reshoot the ending 2.) They are open to other networks picking up the series but did not have anyone in talks so they needed to put a bow on it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Special Ops Lioness was pretty good. Surprised it had Nicole Kidman and Morgan Freeman. Figured this would a typical streaming mini series shoot'em up.

But Michael Kelly showing up made me wonder if he has a contract with hollywood to be in all straight to streaming spy series.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How is Reba McEntire’s face more natural looking than Gwen Stefani’s?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Started watching "The Sinner" (Bill Pullman, Jessical Biel) on Netflix.

I'm on E4 of S1.

Anybody seen this?
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 pm Started watching "The Sinner" (Bill Pullman, Jessical Biel) on Netflix.

I'm on E4 of S1.

Anybody seen this?
Just started season 3. I like Pullman and the show overall, but it's pretty disturbing
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:01 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 pm Started watching "The Sinner" (Bill Pullman, Jessical Biel) on Netflix.

I'm on E4 of S1.

Anybody seen this?
Just started season 3. I like Pullman and the show overall, but it's pretty disturbing
Yeah. That's a good word for it.
[+] spoiler
I feel like the only person in S1 that’s playing it straight (halfway through) is the sick little girl.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:43 pm How is Reba McEntire’s face more natural looking than Gwen Stefani’s?
I was not certain that was Stefani.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:21 pm And Jay Mohr married Jeanie Buss IRL a few weeks ago btw
Not sure where to put this, but Jay Wells (‘94 baby!) dated Jeanie Buss was back before Jay Mohr married her???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We are finally catching up on S2 of "The Bear"...
[+] spoiler
My god...the Christmas flashback episode. So fucking stressful.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:20 am We are finally catching up on S2 of "The Bear"...
[+] spoiler
Not a spoiler, but a commentary about me and that episode:
[+] spoiler
A month ago I visited my family and friends in Boston because I hadn't been back in a year. We went to a little pizza place on the beach. It was a decent vibe, except for the our table.

My brother has two kids with an absolute psychopath. She's nice to me, but she's crazy. It's rubbing off on the kids. My mother was there and her tall tales and undiagnosed personality shit was on full display. My sister and her husband are chill and my niece is a sweetheart - except when she's with her cousin.

Let me tell you man, the screaming, the yelling, the nonstop crazy talk, and the general misbehavior of child and adult alike just gave me tremors of that episode. I don't really know how I kept it together. I've never had a Xanax, but the situation would've called for it.

And my brother's son is a, to quote a Swamp phrase, senseless fucking terror. He's 4, but he's going to fucking jail one day. I don't like that kid at all. I actually took pleasure in making him scared of me. And I didn't have to hit him or scream at him at all.

After my upbringing and military service, I live in near silence because I don't typically like loud -- not like that anyway. Sporting events or neighborhood social gatherings are fine, but loud like that is just different, if that makes sense.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:07 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:20 am We are finally catching up on S2 of "The Bear"...
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
A month ago I visited my family and friends in Boston because I hadn't been back in a year. We went to a little pizza place on the beach. It was a decent vibe, except for the our table.

My brother has two kids with an absolute psychopath. She's nice to me, but she's crazy. It's rubbing off on the kids. My mother was there and her tall tales and undiagnosed personality shit was on full display. My sister and her husband are chill and my niece is a sweetheart - except when she's with her cousin.

Let me tell you man, the screaming, the yelling, the nonstop crazy talk, and the general misbehavior of child and adult alike just gave me tremors of that episode. I don't really know how I kept it together. I've never had a Xanax, but the situation would've called for it.

And my brother's son is a, to quote a Swamp phrase, senseless fucking terror. He's 4, but he's going to fucking jail one day. I don't like that kid at all. I actually took pleasure in making him scared of me. And I didn't have to hit him or scream at him at all.

After my upbringing and military service, I live in near silence because I don't typically like loud -- not like that anyway. Sporting events or neighborhood social gatherings are fine, but loud like that is just different, if that makes sense.
[+] spoiler
That episode made me appreciate my highly repressed Mormon family. Sure, nothing ever gets talked about, but nobody throws forks at each other at the dining room table.
[+] spoiler
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:07 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler

No wonder you got the hell away from your family at 18... I don't recall you ever mentioning having a brother!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Amazon's Gen V (in The Boys Universe) started off pretty good. Similar to the Boys (tone, over the top gross violence) but with a different cast. Still does not hold up to the Garth Ennis' original works (same with Preacher), but enjoying it better than the Jack Ryan generic and formulaic stuff they have produced recently.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:59 pmNo wonder you got the hell away from your family at 18... I don't recall you ever mentioning having a brother!
Technically step-brother, but I feel like he's my real brother. I also have a step-sister too, but we're not really that close. But we aren't on bad terms. She's on bad terms with my sister though. My cousin (also through marriage) is on bad terms with my sister. My entire back east family is a mess at times.

I got the hell away from home at 18 because it was a good idea from my mother. It was an avenue to go down after high school. Despite being tepid on the idea, the recruiter was there the next week to talk me into it and off I went.

Ended up being the best thing for me. Weird how it all works out.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Severance (I just finished S1) is right on the edge of being too weird for me to dig it. But the last two episodes, where they start explaining things (somewhat) pulled me back in.

I don't mind loose ends and ??, but a certain point I start getting kind of annoyed. There have been numerous shows and movies where... I just don't want to feel like I'm walking around in a daze, with a WTF is going on vibe.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:59 pm Severance (I just finished S1) is right on the edge of being too weird for me to dig it. But the last two episodes, where they start explaining things (somewhat) pulled me back in.

I don't mind loose ends and ??, but a certain point I start getting kind of annoyed. There have been numerous shows and movies where... I just don't want to feel like I'm walking around in a daze, with a WTF is going on vibe.
Yeah, after the first six episodes I was asking myself why I was watching this show. But after that, every episode got progressively better until I was loving it at the end of the season.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:27 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:59 pm Severance (I just finished S1) is right on the edge of being too weird for me to dig it. But the last two episodes, where they start explaining things (somewhat) pulled me back in.

Yeah, after the first six episodes I was asking myself why I was watching this show. But after that, every episode got progressively better until I was loving it at the end of the season.
Yeah there was a lot of that going around. It's worth sticking with.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The intrigue of those 'set up' episodes made me more hyped for the 'reasons why' episodes that followed. They weren't going to leave you hanging the whole time.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm Not sure we deserve Joe Pera but glad he exists.
Look for “Drifting off with Joe Pera” on your podcast delivery app of choice. It’s great. I missed him.
New comedy special on YouTube. Watch it!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:19 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:14 pm How To With John Wilson has to be one of my favourite shows ever. I have never not laughed during an episode.

The episode "How To Watch The Game" was absolutely amazing.
[+] spoiler
The vacuum cleaner segment was really quite touching
It's such a unique show. I love how he is willing to let the episodes go completely off course when something more interesting happens. I also find myself wondering how many hours of weird footage he has on file to flash something hilarious that matches in a strange way to what he is saying.
Watched the last couple of episodes and I will put this show on my pantheon of greatest series ever. ("Father Ted," SCTV," "Breaking Bad," "Succession" and others.)

And while the second last episode was great, the final episode was hilarious as always but was also mind blowing. Don't think there's ever been a show that showed the absolute insanity of daily life quite like this one.
[+] spoiler
The hunch backed guy who got John into the cryonics party left me open mouthed and speechless.
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:53 pm
rass wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:42 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm Not sure we deserve Joe Pera but glad he exists.
Look for “Drifting off with Joe Pera” on your podcast delivery app of choice. It’s great. I missed him.
New comedy special on YouTube. Watch it!
Joe Pera's voice has a small part in the newest Pixar "Elemental"
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Series finale of Archer tonight.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Krapopolis isn't that bad.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 pm Krapopolis isn't that bad.
Is that an endorsement, or damning with faint praise?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Had missed it when it was out but started watching Corporate (a Comedy Central show) on Paramount Plus and it’s consistently hilarious. Very, very dark.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:38 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:24 pm Krapopolis isn't that bad.
Is that an endorsement, or damning with faint praise?
I'm not a huge Rick & Morty fan, but did love Community (like a top 5er of mine) so I checked it out because I love the voice talent. It may not have a lot of traction as some of the joke tropes will probably wear thin, but it's an amusing 22 minutes.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Lessons in Chemistry on Apple+...

First two episodes dropped yesterday.
[+] spoiler
I like it. Good period piece.
If you've watched both episodes:
[+] spoiler
:shock:
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.