NCAA FB 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: NCAA FB 2023

Post by EnochRoot »

UNC (12) should crack the AP top 10 with Alabama (11) squeaking by Arkansas, and USC (10) getting pants'd by Notre Dame.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:34 pm Dan Lanning is way too aggressive a play caller.
I assume you mean the fourth down decisions themselves and not the plays that were called on fourth down by the OC?

the fourth down at the end of the game was a perfectly fine decision to go for it. rolling a right-handed quarterback to his left, however ...

the call is also justified by how quickly Washington scored. by giving the Huskies a short field, Oregon had plenty of time after the TD. and he was going 2-for-1 before halftime. the math all makes sense from a strategic standpoint. the rollouts/sprintout plays they probably want back though
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:16 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:34 pm Dan Lanning is way too aggressive a play caller.
I assume you mean the fourth down decisions themselves and not the plays that were called on fourth down by the OC?

the fourth down at the end of the game was a perfectly fine decision to go for it. rolling a right-handed quarterback to his left, however ...

the call is also justified by how quickly Washington scored. by giving the Huskies a short field, Oregon had plenty of time after the TD. and he was going 2-for-1 before halftime. the math all makes sense from a strategic standpoint. the rollouts/sprintout plays they probably want back though
Yes, the going for it in both attempts at the end of each half. Take the fucking field goal and be down by one at the half! Or take the field goal and go up seven with two minutes left.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Oregon was at the Washington 47
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:03 am Oregon was at the Washington 47
Yeah, must've ben mixing those up. Still thinking a punt there would have been better and still baffled about the end of the first half one.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If they convert Lanning is a hero. The decision was fine. Like Bronto said the call was shit though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Malik's got a real interesting interpretation of what you're supposed to do in a hurry up situation

Well it looked like a college game to me
Last edited by Rex on Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Michigan in trouble it looks like.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not really sure. From what I've read, there isn't an actual rule to even violate. The only thing on the books is related to electronic communications during the game.

That said, curious for the conference to start publicly announcing shit like this. I mean... Are we talking about actually STEALING playbooks? Because figuring out how teams are signaling their plays... That's not against the rules.

Gotta be more than that.

ETA - Ahhh... I *think* what they're being accused of is having personnel attend future opponent games and taking footage of the signals.

I mean, I didn't actually read that, I'm just reading between the lines.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:45 pm I'm not really sure. From what I've read, there isn't an actual rule to even violate. The only thing on the books is related to electronic communications during the game.

That said, curious for the conference to start publicly announcing shit like this. I mean... Are we talking about actually STEALING playbooks? Because figuring out how teams are signaling their plays... That's not against the rules.

Gotta be more than that.
From what i've seen it's been in the stands with people figuring them out. If you figure it out on the field, well fuck the guys that can't disguise. If you're using people in the stands, that's pretty nasty.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:48 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:45 pm I'm not really sure. From what I've read, there isn't an actual rule to even violate. The only thing on the books is related to electronic communications during the game.

Gotta be more than that.
From what i've seen it's been in the stands with people figuring them out. If you figure it out on the field, well fuck the guys that can't disguise. If you're using people in the stands, that's pretty nasty.
Yep... I hadn't looked for info in a couple of hours and that's what seems to be.

Really not great.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don’t know what this story is, but I’m seeing some good content

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rex wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:59 pm I don’t know what this story is, but I’m seeing some good content

Iowa's offense is historically bad. Like for a few years now, it's been laughably bad. Their defense is very equally great. Their games have scores that are very, very low.

It gets better. The offensive coordinator is Brian Ferentz, son of iconic long time head coach, Kirk Ferentz. Papa Kirk is very protective of Brian, even though state nepotism laws had Brian being supervised by the AD directly, not Kirk.

The offense was so bad for so long that last offseason, AD Gary Barta rewrote Brian's contract so that Brian's salary went down a little, and Brian's continued employment depends on Iowa's total points this season (including defensive and special teams scores, which he has no impact on and can only help him) which has to be at least 325 points. This number is very likely 25 points x 13 games, although that assumes Iowa plays their 12 game regular season plus a bowl game, Iowa could also play in the B1G championship game (14th game) and that would count too. Shit, the could potentially have a 15th game if the made the NCAAFB championship game too, but that's highly unlikely.

Anyway, that average of 25 points a game requirement made it to the media because Iowa is a public school and people are tracking the "Drive for 325". For a little bit of context averaging 25 points a game, would be about 85th nationally out of ~130 FBS teams. And oh yeah, they're NOT on pace for it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Their last game against Wisconsin had an O/U of 30.5 I believe. It was never in doubt. 15-6 final.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A Vegas game total of under 30 is the Vince McMahon laser eyes moment for this story. Don't think it's happened yet.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This MI story is... weird. The guy that wrote the article isn't The Athletic's MI football guy (that's Austin Meek) or a guy that regularly covers football on any real basis.

The MSU response (claiming they considered not playing the game due to safety of the players) is incredibly dubious and points to this story coming from their camp.

The idea that MI would send personnel out to watch opposing teams to steal signals in a "vast network" type of way... While in the middle of an investigation/situation with the NCAA? I dunno man.

Weird.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:35 am
Rex wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:59 pm I don’t know what this story is, but I’m seeing some good content

Iowa's offense is historically bad. Like for a few years now, it's been laughably bad. Their defense is very equally great. Their games have scores that are very, very low.

It gets better. The offensive coordinator is Brian Ferentz, son of iconic long time head coach, Kirk Ferentz. Papa Kirk is very protective of Brian, even though state nepotism laws had Brian being supervised by the AD directly, not Kirk.

The offense was so bad for so long that last offseason, AD Gary Barta rewrote Brian's contract so that Brian's salary went down a little, and Brian's continued employment depends on Iowa's total points this season (including defensive and special teams scores, which he has no impact on and can only help him) which has to be at least 325 points. This number is very likely 25 points x 13 games, although that assumes Iowa plays their 12 game regular season plus a bowl game, Iowa could also play in the B1G championship game (14th game) and that would count too. Shit, the could potentially have a 15th game if the made the NCAAFB championship game too, but that's highly unlikely.

Anyway, that average of 25 points a game requirement made it to the media because Iowa is a public school and people are tracking the "Drive for 325". For a little bit of context averaging 25 points a game, would be about 85th nationally out of ~130 FBS teams. And oh yeah, they're NOT on pace for it.
Nice breakdown. The site I get most of my MI football info from has a really good message board, with some recurring topics... One of which is IoWatch, which is a week by week tracking of "Offensive" "Coordinator" "Brian" Ferentz' progress on the 25 points a game challenge. Quite entertaining and highlights just how futile their offense has been/is this season.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:11 am Their last game against Wisconsin had an O/U of 30.5 I believe. It was never in doubt. 15-6 final.
They host Minnesota this week, O/U is currently 30.5 at Caesars.

Rest of Iowa's schedule is Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, at Nebraska. Rutgers is the only team averaging at least 22 points per game, but that is elevated some by hanging 52 on Wagner. Against FBS teams, they average under 24 a game.

Iowa's defense gives up about 12 a game outside of Penn State. Northwestern looks like a good option to have a total under 30.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the Wisconsin game closed at 33.5-34.5 depending on your book of choice

games since 2003 with totals at 34 or under are 5-1 to the under (counting the Wisconsin game at 33.5). that includes Minnesota-Iowa a year ago at 31.5 -- it tied the lowest total of a game since 2003. that was a 13-10 game.

in this case, I'm not sure I think the under is a lock. feels like a game that could have a defensive TD or special teams TD (or maybe even both). it is extremely funny that a 17-14 game could go over though
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 pm the Wisconsin game closed at 33.5-34.5 depending on your book of choice

games since 2003 with totals at 34 or under are 5-1 to the under (counting the Wisconsin game at 33.5). that includes Minnesota-Iowa a year ago at 31.5 -- it tied the lowest total of a game since 2003. that was a 13-10 game.

in this case, I'm not sure I think the under is a lock. feels like a game that could have a defensive TD or special teams TD (or maybe even both). it is extremely funny that a 17-14 game could go over though
I'm on the over 31.5 on the Iowa game. And Under 34 in Army Air Force.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:47 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 pm the Wisconsin game closed at 33.5-34.5 depending on your book of choice

I'm on the over 31.5 on the Iowa game. And Under 34 in Army Air Force.
I don’t know man. Air Force has only played one game this season with less than 49 points.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

service academy over/unders are always low

for example: AFA had at least 41 points in three of its first four games a season ago, played Navy in game 5, the over/under was 38 and it ended up 13-10
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan Day’s face always looks like he has frostbite.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This game sucks so bad so far. I want Oregon Washington again.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Classic rock fight.

Penn State just can't move the ball in the air, so you can just load up in the box. OSU's defense is pretty good... But not THAT good.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Peacock won't stop showing replays of a nasty targeting helmet to helmet hit in the Iowa game.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe it’s just my perception but Brad Nessler seems to be rooting for Alabama today.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:07 pm Maybe it’s just my perception but Brad Nessler seems to be rooting for Alabama today.
That crew will always root for whatever result gets multiple SEC teams in the CFP.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah I’m an sec guy but they definitely pull for the big teams.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This Iowa-Minnesota game is nuts.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:04 pm This Iowa-Minnesota game is nuts.
Lol Hawkeyes
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:13 pm
brian wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:04 pm This Iowa-Minnesota game is nuts.
Lol Hawkeyes
Feel bad for DeJean, not so much for Ferentz. Was kind of hoping Fleck might have to suck some shit there but he’ll get his still.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Also just have to say how much better NBC’s coverage is than CBS. Not looking forward to the B1G moving to CBS - they’re horrible.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:26 pm Also just have to say how much better NBC’s coverage is than CBS. Not looking forward to the B1G moving to CBS - they’re horrible.
Seems pretty apt for the awfulness on display on the field today in Columbus and Iowa City.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Sports Information Director (leaving for vacation): Oh, and remember, don’t put Hitler on the Jumbotron
Jumbotron Guy (taking out AirPods): What’s that, boss?

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Good for UVA.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This photo is better because of the ironic ad crawl.