EPL 2023-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: EPL 2023-24

Post by mister d »

There’s no funnier way for a 9 man team to lose. It was perfection.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A deep dive into the general scumminess of the new Everton owners (gift link):

How the private equity firm buying Everton built its business
777 manages $10 billion in assets and around 60 subsidiaries across industries ranging from airlines to insurance, according to Lipchitz. The full scope of 777’s revenue streams remains unknown, but the company has financed several businesses that have been accused of profiting from what critics deem predatory financial practices that target economically vulnerable people, according to interviews and court records reviewed by The Washington Post.

A class-action lawsuit accuses 777 of operating a payday lending scheme that contracted with a Native American tribe to bypass state laws limiting interest rates on short-term loans. Another lawsuit claims that a 777 subsidiary obtained the $2.2 million annuity of a St. Louis woman with a severe mental illness for $500,000. Attorneys general in seven states have sued a real estate firm financed by 777 for allegedly deceiving homeowners into signing deals granting the company exclusive rights to serve as their real estate agent.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am A deep dive into the general scumminess of the new Everton owners (gift link):

777 manages $10 billion in assets and around 60 subsidiaries across industries ranging from airlines to insurance, according to Lipchitz. The full scope of 777’s revenue streams remains unknown, but the company has financed several businesses that have been accused of profiting from what critics deem predatory financial practices that target economically vulnerable people, according to interviews and court records reviewed by The Washington Post.

A class-action lawsuit accuses 777 of operating a payday lending scheme that contracted with a Native American tribe to bypass state laws limiting interest rates on short-term loans. Another lawsuit claims that a 777 subsidiary obtained the $2.2 million annuity of a St. Louis woman with a severe mental illness for $500,000. Attorneys general in seven states have sued a real estate firm financed by 777 for allegedly deceiving homeowners into signing deals granting the company exclusive rights to serve as their real estate agent.
And it's only getting worse...

Everton Sale Stalls Amid Questions About Buyer’s Financials
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:56 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am A deep dive into the general scumminess of the new Everton owners (gift link):

Just in time for the Merseyside Derby!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:26 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:56 am

Just in time for the Merseyside Derby!
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I have no idea what thread this should go in, and you all have probably discussed it elsewhere, but the Beckham documentary is excellent.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:23 pm I have no idea what thread this should go in, and you all have probably discussed it elsewhere, but the Beckham documentary is excellent.
Good to know. I think my lady will enjoy it too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:41 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:23 pm I have no idea what thread this should go in, and you all have probably discussed it elsewhere, but the Beckham documentary is excellent.
It is absolutely genuinely fantastic. So well done.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I thought mine would to, but she bailed halfway through the first episode. I was so excited seeing all the footage of Beckham, the Nevilles, Giggs, Scholes etc... as teenagers. I started watching when they were all in their prime playing days, so seeing them signing and practicing before they made a name for themselves is really cool.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Glenn Hoddle didn’t cover himself in glory in hindsight.

Also, what a terrible decision from the ref to pull a red.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Like, the shit that he took / but that was a terrible ref decision. Is it a cultural difference? As an American - I don’t remotely fault the player, i fault the ref. Weird that few voices seemed to take that tack in England after that.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

If Chelsea can hold in to this 2-0 lead over Arsenal, it’ll be their biggest win in quite a while. Either way, the kids are clearly starting to figure things out.

Btw, I’m not sure what all the debate was over the hand ball and ensuing penalty. Seemed like a clear no-brained to me.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:06 pm If Chelsea can hold in to this 2-0 lead over Arsenal, it’ll be their biggest win in quite a while. Either way, the kids are clearly starting to figure things out.

Btw, I’m not sure what all the debate was over the hand ball and ensuing penalty. Seemed like a clear no-brained to me.
6 minutes. Not bad.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

What were the commentator’s words—just 20 minutes of common sense from Chelsea?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, that’s my bad
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Only watched the 2nd half, but holy shit Chelsea's defending (and goalkeeping) was poor. They really look like a 10th place side.
Canadian International
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:09 pm Only watched the 2nd half, but holy shit Chelsea's defending (and goalkeeping) was poor. They really look like a 10th place side.
Eh, it was mostly that one glaring mistake by the goalie that led to the first goal. Arsenal really didn't have too many serious threats before that, even though they had most of the ball in the second half. They definitely played like the young team they are trying to protect the lead and run out the clock rather than try to build on the 2-0 lead.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:28 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:09 pm Only watched the 2nd half, but holy shit Chelsea's defending (and goalkeeping) was poor. They really look like a 10th place side.
Eh, it was mostly that one glaring mistake by the goalie that led to the first goal. Arsenal really didn't have too many serious threats before that, even though they had most of the ball in the second half. They definitely played like the young team they are trying to protect the lead and run out the clock rather than try to build on the 2-0 lead.
From an Arsenal perspective, my take was that Arsenal were sleepwalking and suddenly woke up after being gifted the first goal. No energy or ideas until that point. I didn’t think Chelsea looked good, and they scored on a fluke pk
and a mishit cross. Arsenal deserved to be down 2-0 though.

As for the dispute on the penalty, it could be argued Gabriel had his hand in a natural position (where else could it be challenging a header) and made no attempt to play the ball with his hand. I don’t have a problem with the call since the hand was away from the body, but it’s a complicated decision and I’m not really sure if it should be a handball. A friend’s son recently became a ref and in the class taught them that 90% of handballs called in youth games shouldn’t be. And I agree, it drives me nuts. But if the unintentional handballs aren’t called, parents and players go nuts.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Eh, his arm was outstretched and it blocked a shot. I don't know what you call if you can't call that. If he intentionally stuck his arm out, a la Suarez, it's a straight red. This wasn't that, but you have to call it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So if their arms are straight down in front of their bodies and their kick ricocheted off the player in front of them back into their wrist, is that handball? #askingformydaughter
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:09 pm So if their arms are straight down in front of their bodies and their kick ricocheted off the player in front of them back into their wrist, is that handball? #askingformydaughter
Yes
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not under the kids rules. There were 5 of those (not deflected) that werent called yesterday. I'm ok with that but they didn't even call the ones that hit arms while trying to control. Didn't like that. 8-10 yellows yesterday though. Refs were good. Freaking lineman called over the AR for a yellow. Coach didn't approve of that when he didn't do the same on other potential yellows. Other team was good though. Wish my kid could play for them but 1.5 hrs away. They play right in Dalton GA.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:35 pm Not under the kids rules. There were 5 of those (not deflected) that werent called yesterday. I'm ok with that but they didn't even call the ones that hit arms while trying to control. Didn't like that. 8-10 yellows yesterday though. Refs were good. Freaking lineman called over the AR for a yellow. Coach didn't approve of that when he didn't do the same on other potential yellows. Other team was good though. Wish my kid could play for them but 1.5 hrs away. They play right in Dalton GA.
That’s what killed me is that had happened numerous times all match and then it happens as she’s trying to clear it out of the box and they call a penalty. And she was being very deliberate about her arm placement due to a really funny handball incident earlier in the game where she made an awesome stop at midfield, but fell right next to the ball and instinctively slapped it away from her face before someone tried kicking it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:26 pm
Giff wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:09 pm So if their arms are straight down in front of their bodies and their kick ricocheted off the player in front of them back into their wrist, is that handball? #askingformydaughter
Yes
NO!!!! This is absolutely not a handball. If your arm is in a “natural position” or in against your body and a ball hits your hand or arm and you make no movement towards the ball, it’s an incident handball and should not be called. Yet most refs call it, and if they don’t, parents and players go off on them.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:15 am Eh, his arm was outstretched and it blocked a shot. I don't know what you call if you can't call that. If he intentionally stuck his arm out, a la Suarez, it's a straight red. This wasn't that, but you have to call it.
I lean towards it being a handball, but could understand if it wasn’t. Tough not to call it on the VAR replay. Announcer commented that the shot was off target, I don’t think that matters, but the rule has changed several times.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 9jS3di4icp

Don't mean to sully the epl talk but I really do like the soccer they've played in Dalton for a while. They also have one of the few men's college soccer programs in the state.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:06 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:26 pm
Yes
NO!!!! This is absolutely not a handball. If your arm is in a “natural position” or in against your body and a ball hits your hand or arm and you make no movement towards the ball, it’s an incident handball and should not be called. Yet most refs call it, and if they don’t, parents and players go off on them.
I was a certified ayso referee, but not a good one.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really enjoy these early afternoon MST Spurs games (the result (at present) is quite pleasing as well.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:16 pm I really enjoy these early afternoon MST Spurs games (the result (at present) is quite pleasing as well.)
Absolutely joyful!

Let's do it again on Friday.
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:12 pm
I thought mine would to, but she bailed halfway through the first episode. I was so excited seeing all the footage of Beckham, the Nevilles, Giggs, Scholes etc... as teenagers. I started watching when they were all in their prime playing days, so seeing them signing and practicing before they made a name for themselves is really cool.
We are both enjoying it. Two episodes in. More soccer than I was expecting, to be honest. All in all, so far they seem to be pretty well adjusted for being a pop power couple.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:53 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:12 pm
We are both enjoying it. Two episodes in. More soccer than I was expecting, to be honest. All in all, so far they seem to be pretty well adjusted for being a pop power couple.
shockingly well adjusted, really. huge upset I think, give who they were/are and the fishbowl they lived in.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nothing with Longstaff, either offside or contact with the goalie, on that Wilson goal?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Arsenal losing to West Ham at halftime in the League Cup. Arsenal outshooting them 8-0. goal came off an own goal. Is it wrong to half want Arsenal to lose to ease up the fixture congestion?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:33 pm Arsenal losing to West Ham at halftime in the League Cup. Arsenal outshooting them 8-0. goal came off an own goal. Is it wrong to half want Arsenal to lose to ease up the fixture congestion?
You only want to win the league cup as a big club if you're getting a bunch of run for youngsters and/or you're not really thinking you can win much else and hey, it's a trophy. But teams without title aspirations in Europe or with less depth seem to focus on it.

Hey, who are the holders? Dammit!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:33 pm Arsenal losing to West Ham at halftime in the League Cup. Arsenal outshooting them 8-0. goal came off an own goal. Is it wrong to half want Arsenal to lose to ease up the fixture congestion?
I was almost on my knees towards the end of last season praying that Spurs finished 8th so they'd miss the idiotic Conference League.
Canadian International
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

how dare you, good sir
Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:13 pm
I was almost on my knees towards the end of last season praying that Spurs finished 8th so they'd miss the idiotic Conference League.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Man u and Fulham played that least interesting extra time winner I've ever watched
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:27 am Man u and Fulham played that least interesting extra time winner I've ever watched
If you looked up the word "desultory" in the dictionary, you would see that game...