Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Steve of phpBB »

More LOLz from the House GOP today.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty disgusting that none of the hyper-partisan Democrats cared enough about the good of the country to cross the aisle and get Jordan over the finish-line.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Feeling the schadenfruede, as Jordan loses another vote.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

CNN’s Scott Jennings, describing interim Speaker pro tempore, Patrick McHenry and the ongoing Republican issues trying to name a Speaker:
“If this whole thing winds up with him as being named assistant to the regional manager, or whatever title they’re going to give him here ― which is not in the Constitution ― this will be like the biggest circle jerk in the history or circles, or jerks!”
Link
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My god, I love that last line.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

How many Republicans would we need for Jeffries to become Speaker? There are no relatively moderate Republicans in purple districts who could probably negotiate a ton of pork for their districts and other favors and then call themselves brave mavericks for the rest of their career no matter what other shit they do, and then take credit for saving the day?

Otherwise, I'm really worried there will be a shutdown and someone like Jim Jordan will refuse to certifyl results he doesn't like in the next election or pull off some other January 6th type shit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Jim Jordan must have a humiliation fetish...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm thoroughly enjoying the Jim Jordan headlines I keep seeing the past few days. I have a hunch he'll still win it in the end, but I love watching him try and fail repeatedly.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:00 pm I'm thoroughly enjoying the Jim Jordan headlines I keep seeing the past few days. I have a hunch he'll still win it in the end, but I love watching him try and fail repeatedly.
Lost the secret vote to be the "Speaker-Designee"...

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Can a hot take freeze in 3 minutes?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:38 pm Jim Jordan must have a humiliation fetish...

Is she trying out her Tom Wolfe Hallowe'en costume?
Canadian International
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:24 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:38 pm Jim Jordan must have a humiliation fetish...

Is she trying out her Tom Wolfe Hallowe'en costume?
I was workshopping a Colonel Sanders is talking to someone joke, and I like what you came up with.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Just looked that broad up. She was a part of Turning Point and PragerU. She sucks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:29 pm
That is perfection!
Canadian International
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Emmer pulls out

Can't make this shit up...
And as he (Emmer) met with holdouts to try to win them over, the former president issued a scathing statement on social media expressing vehement opposition to Mr. Emmer, calling him a “Globalist RINO” — short for “Republican in name only” — whose elevation would be a “tragic mistake.”

“I have many wonderful friends wanting to be Speaker of the House, and some are truly great Warriors,” Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social. “RINO Tom Emmer, who I do not know well, is not one of them. He never respected the Power of a Trump Endorsement, or the breadth and scope of MAGA—MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is a perfect encapsulation of what's wrong with the GOP these days. Dysfunctional doesn't do it justice.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That old boomer lady in the front yelling shut up is the perfect encapsulation of ever shit-heel boomer ever. I hate her with every fiber of my being.

Edit

The old bitch is Virginia Foxx of NC. She's 80 years old, voted against the certification of electoral votes in 2020, and voted against cannabis legalization/expungement WHILE ALSO investing in one of the largest cannabis companies in the nation. Piece of fucking shit scumbag.
Last edited by Johnnie on Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So did the reporter just stop? Keep at it. Make them squirm. They're pussies.

"So if you lose the Speaker vote, are you going to rile up your supporters to go attack the Capitol?"
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:25 pm So did the reporter just stop? Keep at it. Make them squirm. They're pussies.

"So if you lose the Speaker vote, are you going to rile up your supporters to go attack the Capitol?"
She's violating his First Amendment Rights!!!!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The more I read about this guy, the sadder I get.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:18 pm

That old boomer lady in the front yelling shut up is the perfect encapsulation of ever shit-heel boomer ever. I hate her with every fiber of my being.

Edit

The old bitch is Virginia Foxx of NC. She's 80 years old, voted against the certification of electoral votes in 2020, and voted against cannabis legalization/expungement WHILE ALSO investing in one of the largest cannabis companies in the nation. Piece of fucking shit scumbag.
if you want to email her and heckle her her contact info is on her Congressman's site. I just did and told her she knew the 2020 vote was valid and she voted against certification because she had to show loyalty to a reality show host. I'm told her I'm donating the NC Democratic party in her name and I look forward to her being fired at the polls and conceding. It's a quick thirty seconds, and it's worth it just to tell these people, or more likely her staff, that she sucks.

Because let's be honest here. As taxpayers we pay her salary. We're totally within our rights to heckle her shitty ass. If you think she sucks, tell her. At very least her staff has to read how much she sucks. This needs to be repeated to these people.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:42 am The more I read about this guy, the sadder I get.
Yeah, but it’s anxiety for me. This guy seems as crazy as Jim Jordan, but I think more dangerous because he looks calm and intelligent. Makes him more dangerous, as the casual observer isn’t seeing a clearly insane moron like Jordan, MTG or Boebert. His far right religious nutjobbery might go unnoticed and if Dems call it out, might seem like they are crying wolf.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

It's actually quite machiavellian to stumble and stumble and lure Democrats into doing other things like taking the day off from work to attend a wife's surgery, et al - and then BOOM a truly horrible election denying, christo-fascist is now two steps from the presidency.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There was never any chance that a non-crazy was going to win the job. I was pretty sure that they'd end up with Jordan, so I guess this is a slight win. But the GOP has set things up such that you have to be all in on Trump and crazy to even be considered for any role with authority.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And given that like 30% max of the country is Trump obsessed, its just such an impossible uphill task for the other party to rally the 70% and clean house.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:33 am There was never any chance that a non-crazy was going to win the job. I was pretty sure that they'd end up with Jordan, so I guess this is a slight win. But the GOP has set things up such that you have to be all in on Trump and crazy to even be considered for any role with authority.
I knew this, but I held out a tiny bit of hope that some moderates in the GOP would agree with the Dems to put up a non-crazy centrist, and the Dems would agree to vote for a centrist Republican to avoid a crazy taking the gavel. Makes me sick that Matt Gaetz' crazy stunt won.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:36 am And given that like 30% max of the country is Trump obsessed, its just such an impossible uphill task for the other party to rally the 70% and clean house.
Weird, how your sarcasm is actually speaking truth.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:36 am And given that like 30% max of the country is Trump obsessed, its just such an impossible uphill task for the other party to rally the 70% and clean house.
The problem is that 30% is actually 60%+ of one of the two dominant parties. And that party has rigged the game in many states so that it wins way more than it should. They run the House, they run the Supreme Court, and they have a pretty strong grip on the federal courts as well. And only 1 or 2 senators away from having all of Congress. The deck is very much stacked.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The problem is that the 70 percent all want different things.

A huge bunch are moderates who value "moderation" and won't vote for candidates who say things that sound crazy to them.

A smaller, bunch are ideologically motivated and won't support candidates *unless* they say things that sound crazy to the first bunch.

(And of course an even bigger bunch just don't want to engage in or with politics at all.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What a unique last name. Also, dude's a dumbass.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does New Speaker of the House Mike Johnson Have a Bank Account?
Newly elected Speaker of the House Mike Johnson (R-LA) does not have a bank account.

At least, that’s what Johnson reports on years of personal financial disclosures, which date back to 2016 and reveal a financial life that, in the context of his role as a congressman and now speaker, appears extraordinarily precarious.

Over the course of seven years, Johnson has never reported a checking or savings account in his name, nor in the name of his wife or any of his children, disclosures show. In fact, he doesn’t appear to have money stashed in any investments, with his latest filing—covering 2022—showing no assets whatsoever.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Direct deposit isn't mandatory for government positions? That seems completely weird.

When I enlisted at 17 my Air Force recruiter had to provide a waiver to my bank to get me a bank account for basic training because it was a mandatory thing you had to do. This was in 2001.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:02 pm Direct deposit isn't mandatory for government positions? That seems completely weird.

When I enlisted at 17 my Air Force recruiter had to provide a waiver to my bank to get me a bank account for basic training because it was a mandatory thing you had to do. This was in 2001.
Others have said that Congressmen get paid through direct deposit. Plus, even if he's paid by a paper check, where does he cash it, and then how does he pay his bills after getting the cash?

More likely he just didn't bother listing his accounts in his financial disclosures because he was a nobody in an uncompetitive district and figured no one would ever check up on him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:22 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:02 pm Direct deposit isn't mandatory for government positions? That seems completely weird.

Others have said that Congressmen get paid through direct deposit. Plus, even if he's paid by a paper check, where does he cash it, and then how does he pay his bills after getting the cash?

More likely he just didn't bother listing his accounts in his financial disclosures because he was a nobody in an uncompetitive district and figured no one would ever check up on him.
Yea, he has to have a bank account or several. It just doesn't compute.

Also, do you have to disclose amounts in those accounts or just simply having them or something?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’d guess he’ll come up with a bank account and blame it on his secretary or lawyer or accountant as an oversight in paperwork.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:47 pm I’d guess he’ll come up with a bank account and blame it on his secretary or lawyer or accountant as an oversight in paperwork.
I’m sure it’s Biden’s fault.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!