Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:18 am Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch has never gone away and it's still the best cereal available. Have some in my pantry right now!
But gone are Vanilly Crunch, Punch Crunch and Jean LaFoote’s Cinnamon Crunch!
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Hows the roof of your mouth
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Michelin foodie recognition is the same as the tire company?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:18 am Michelin foodie recognition is the same as the tire company?
Yes.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you can’t trust a dude made out of tires to give you good culinary recommendations than who can you?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:25 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:18 am Michelin foodie recognition is the same as the tire company?
Yes.
It started out as a travel guide to promote more folks to hit the road at the beginning of the automobile era. So they could wear down their tires.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

There was a lithograph of an old Michelin guide with the tire guy on the cover in my French classroom in high school.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:01 am
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:25 am
Yes.
It started out as a travel guide to promote more folks to hit the road at the beginning of the automobile era. So they could wear down their tires.
I do love the idea that they have a separate arm to keep this up. So at Sr. Management meetings, there's a bunch of stuff about rubber futures, the decline of the american sedan, best tires for long haul trucking, and then one guy that is like "Shit yeah we ate a bunch of fucking amazing places. AND WE'LL DO IT AGAIN!"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So went to a place that had won stars for my anniversary (Rooster & Owl). At the hosts table they had a little Michelin man figure.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That place looks great.

(Menu here.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A former coworker recently told me that he took his wife to a three star Michelin restaurant in San Francisco for their anniversary. He said the total bill was $1200. He didn’t really appreciate it when I asked him if they gave him a tube of lube along with the bill.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:12 pm A former coworker recently told me that he took his wife to a three star Michelin restaurant in San Francisco for their anniversary. He said the total bill was $1200. He didn’t really appreciate it when I asked him if they gave him a tube of lube along with the bill.
For the two of them? I wonder what they drank.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder what they didn't!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've never had an extremely expensive dinner (just several pricey steak ones), but I cannot imagine it's worth it when tacos are so cheap and extremely delicious.

Every city has foodie enthusiasts with Instagram pages showcasing amazing food that isn't expensive. Food culture has never been more accessible than it is right now.

You gotta be rich rich to want to drop a bunch of money on food like that.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:01 pm I've never had an extremely expensive dinner (just several pricey steak ones), but I cannot imagine it's worth it when tacos are so cheap and extremely delicious.

Every city has foodie enthusiasts with Instagram pages showcasing amazing food that isn't expensive. Food culture has never been more accessible than it is right now.

I wonder, will these folks have clear memories of that dining experience in five or ten years? Because that's the only justification I can see. Or is there some kind of value in being able to say "I once spent $1200 for a dinner at a three-star restaurant"?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:19 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:01 pm I've never had an extremely expensive dinner (just several pricey steak ones), but I cannot imagine it's worth it when tacos are so cheap and extremely delicious.

I wonder, will these folks have clear memories of that dining experience in five or ten years? Because that's the only justification I can see. Or is there some kind of value in being able to say "I once spent $1200 for a dinner at a three-star restaurant"?
If it's a one-off experience, sure. If it's routine, I highly doubt it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It’s not common for them to go to Michelin places, but it’s no one-off, either. These guys are really rich - both the husband and wife earned tons of money, no kids, house paid off.

It’s all about keeping the wife happy - the husband is happy with In-n-Out. She grew up wealthy in Lebanon, immigrated before things got really bad there, and has very expensive tastes. She was among the top real estate agents serving wealthy clients in Palo Alto, Atherton, and Menlo Park. Some of the price tags on properties she’s sold are astonishing, so her commissions must also have been enormous. He was Deputy Counsel where I worked.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:19 pm

Closest I came was a meal that cost around $500 for the two of us, but it was comped. Can't remember if my wife won a certificate or it was a work spot-bonus kind of thing, but it was around 15 years ago. Very high end restaurant with a tasting menu. I was extremely excited and enjoyed it, but I couldn't tell you a single thing we ate or drank. It was right around the time my daughter was born, so we would have never spent that kind of money on a dinner, but I remember thinking I could understand it was worth the money, but I would never pay that much myself.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scary moment at my daughter's soccer practice. They were practicing set pieces and free kicks, using players in a wall. Girl took a shot to the chest and pulled a Damar Hamlin. My daughter said the coach went to see if she was ok. The girl laughed, said she was fine, took a step towards the coach then her eyes rolled back in her head and she collapsed. Coach caught her, assistant ran to get the AED. Fortunately, the girl came to before they used the AED. Coach had them continue doing free kicks and told the defenders to get back in a wall. They rightfully refused, and he stood as the wall. My daughter (she didn't take the shot that knocked the girl out) was too freaked out even shooting around the coach. She was really shaken up when she got home. Girl was just released from the hospital and said she is fine.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jesus
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Holy shit. Unless he was either in shock or it was a misguided attempt to distract them, that’s an insane thing to do.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm Holy shit. Unless he was either in shock or it was a misguided attempt to distract them, that’s an insane thing to do.
Orrrr, their first game of the State Championship tournament is tomorrow. Yeah, he’s a real piece of work. It did sound like he was in shock, and that’s what really freaked my daughter out.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:46 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm Holy shit. Unless he was either in shock or it was a misguided attempt to distract them, that’s an insane thing to do.
Orrrr, their first game of the State Championship tournament is tomorrow. Yeah, he’s a real piece of work. It did sound like he was in shock, and that’s what really freaked my daughter out.
I’m guessing some parent will mention his response to the authorities.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 pm
Actually, the father of the girl went to the Athletic Director and school board last year to get him fired. Coach is a town legend. Him and his brother were legends in soccer, basketball and baseball. He won two state championships and his brother is the baseball coach and won several state titles.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:06 pm
Actually, the father of the girl went to the Athletic Director and school board last year to get him fired. Coach is a town legend. Him and his brother were legends in soccer, basketball and baseball. He won two state championships and his brother is the baseball coach and won several state titles.
Oh? Nevermind, then. He must know what he's doing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Actually, the father of the girl went to the Athletic Director and school board last year to get him fired. Wtf. Jersey

On second thought, he should be fired for practicing free kicks
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

JFC. Did he let the girl who collapsed take a break at least?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:58 am JFC. Did he let the girl who collapsed take a break at least?
Yeah, she sat out, he isn’t that crazy. Coach called her parents who took her straight to the hospital ER. Girl said she has a doctor note clearing her to play. The coach was actually way overprotective with my daughter. Made her sit out of practice for a week and a preseason scrimmage when she tweaked her calf muscle, even after the trainer cleared her to play.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

wtf..
the boy's HS soccer career ended last night.. and in 4 yrs of HS and many years of club and travel and rec, either as a parent, coach, club admin... have NEVER seen anyone practice free kicks with kids on the wall. .. they use the dummy standins.. or no wall at all. #coachout!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:48 am wtf..
the boy's HS soccer career ended last night.. and in 4 yrs of HS and many years of club and travel and rec, either as a parent, coach, club admin... have NEVER seen anyone practice free kicks with kids on the wall. .. they use the dummy standins.. or no wall at all. #coachout!
They have the dummies at the high school field, but they practiced at a different field because other sports had all the fields for Sectionals.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Huh. I would think you'd need kids to practice setting up and being in a wall too. We never had dummies to use when I was playing (a loooong time ago).

I think I told the story here - but my son's very first day of soccer at his high school - varsity tryouts - a kid had a heart attack and collapsed. They performed CPR and used the paddles. His heart had stopped, but they got it going again. The kid recovered, thank God. Some scary shit. They did NOT just finish practice that day.
Totally Kafkaesque
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:21 am
Huh. I would think you'd need kids to practice setting up and being in a wall too. We never had dummies to use when I was playing (a loooong time ago).

I think I told the story here - but my son's very first day of soccer at his high school - varsity tryouts - a kid had a heart attack and collapsed. They performed CPR and used the paddles. His heart had stopped, but they got it going again. The kid recovered, thank God. Some scary shit. They did NOT just finish practice that day.
setting up the wall, yes.. practicing set plays w a wall yes.. shooting free kicks w a wall full of kids.. no.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:12 pm That place looks great.

(Menu here.)
Going beets, naan, and pork belly. Pork belly won out so the banh mi had to go.

ETA: Damn Syb, that’s scary shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kampachi -> Mackeral / Lobster (might do that $15 add a course option here) -> Duck -> Chocolate
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Would it be ironic to give a Michelin star to a food truck?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:40 pm Would it be ironic to give a Michelin star to a food truck?
Only if it had Firestone tires.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

(that story is from 2018)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

This could go in the Culinary Hot Takes thread, but when ramen is good, ramen is goooooood.